PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this character?

Xrposiedon
2017-07-16, 04:15 PM
So last night, I made a backup character for our current game because of the dire situation we left our last game in.
We pretty much know we are going to die.

I used whotheF is my dnd character . com for the starting point

"A playful gnome wizard from the city of lights, who lost his nose in a duel"

When I rolled the backup characters stats...I did so on livestream just to make sure I had a way to prove the stats if they came out well. Turns out, I rolled REALLY well....kinda.

Now of course, I put the 18 into INT....being a gnome.

It came out to be this after racial mods. This character is level 3.

17 str
15 dex
18 con
20 int
8 wis
4 cha

I chose spells...like shocking grasp, and skywriting. Shocking grasp just to be that muscle wizard, grapple and taser. Skywriting to be like Voldemort since i have no nose.

But I have no clue how to play this type of character with stats like this. PLEASE don't start with the whole ..."this is why you don't roll stats". This is exactly why my group rolls stats...it makes for really absurd things with really bad and really good stats....this one just has me stumped.

Unoriginal
2017-07-16, 04:20 PM
So last night, I made a backup character for our current game because of the dire situation we left our last game in.
We pretty much know we are going to die.

I used whotheF is my dnd character . com for the starting point

"A playful gnome wizard from the city of lights, who lost his nose in a duel"

When I rolled the backup characters stats...I did so on livestream just to make sure I had a way to prove the stats if they came out well. Turns out, I rolled REALLY well....kinda.

Now of course, I put the 18 into INT....being a gnome.

It came out to be this after racial mods. This character is level 3.

17 str
15 dex
18 con
20 int
8 wis
4 cha

I chose spells...like shocking grasp, and skywriting. Shocking grasp just to be that muscle wizard, grapple and taser. Skywriting to be like Voldemort since i have no nose.

But I have no clue how to play this type of character with stats like this. PLEASE don't start with the whole ..."this is why you don't roll stats". This is exactly why my group rolls stats...it makes for really absurd things with really bad and really good stats....this one just has me stumped.

Someone inspired by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe

But with no charisma.

Xrposiedon
2017-07-16, 05:07 PM
Yes but would that high intelligence play into the low charisma?

Would that low CHA make me not care if I piss people off...or would my intelligence balance that out...so that I knew how ****ty of a person I was...and to shut my mouth?

Low wisdom too....so would that have an effect?

Would I be quiet and just be SUPER dirty? I just don't know how this would actually be described.

ApplePen
2017-07-16, 07:54 PM
With that low of a charisma and low wisdom, you would be very easily manipulated and weak willed. You could easily be shy and demure and have a hard time telling when people are being earnest with you.

Blue Lantern
2017-07-17, 02:57 AM
There is this old joke about the Int and Wis disparity,

Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit,
Wisdom is not put it in a fruit salad.

I don't know if you ever saw Honey I Shrunk the kids or The nutty professor, but those are fitting examples, extremely intelligent but unable to tell the time of the day if watching a clock.

As for the low charisma you can play it however you want, you can be the snobbish knowitall that belittle the dumb people he has to deal with constantly, or you can play i as a socially awkward guy who has difficulties at even making eye contact.

Xrposiedon
2017-07-17, 08:07 PM
There is this old joke about the Int and Wis disparity,

Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit,
Wisdom is not put it in a fruit salad.

I don't know if you ever saw Honey I Shrunk the kids or The nutty professor, but those are fitting examples, extremely intelligent but unable to tell the time of the day if watching a clock.

As for the low charisma you can play it however you want, you can be the snobbish knowitall that belittle the dumb people he has to deal with constantly, or you can play i as a socially awkward guy who has difficulties at even making eye contact.

I like this example!

I was thinking maybe my character just never washes himself as well? I mean...4 cha....is pretty friggin low. I dont think just being obnoxious would really hit on the point of 4 charisma.

Seeing as 6 int, is pretty much you cant read, 5 is full blown mental retardation, and 4....I dont even know how to explain 4 intelligence. It would be an IQ of 40ish.

So if I applied that same logic to the Charisma....maybe 8 is ...more annoying than the average guy...Lets call 8 Gilbert Godfried, or Shia LeBeouf.-----6 would be somewhere in the range of Paulie Shore or Paris Hilton....I am thinking maybe 4 would be in the range of Steven Seagal....but a Steven Seagal that not only continuously tells people they are doing things wrong, and that he is an expert in it....but also a Steven Seagal that hasn't washed since his last good movie....(if he ever had one)

MrMcBobb
2017-07-18, 09:21 AM
Don't you dare badmouth Under Siege!

Yea, Cha 4 is horrible. Int 3 is animal intelligence so I can only imagine Cha 4 to be something like your gnome never washes and is almost completely incapable of interaction with other sentient beings.

follacchioso
2017-07-18, 09:59 AM
Don't play it, just reroll stats. A friend of mine back in 3.0 rolled a character with charisma 3, and we are still making fun of him after more than 15 years.
He was a cleric, instead of turning undeads, he made them stronger.

Azgeroth
2017-07-18, 10:10 AM
i would play it as the missing nose causing him to be INCREDIBLY self concious, always thinking people are looking at it, or not looking at him because of it, every slight is because of it, every compliment is trying to skirt around it.

now with that in mind he should be super reclusive, but the low wisdom (aswell as helping him to not know if people really are looking at his missing nose) would put him in the situations he does so poorly in, give him a pleasant personality with terrible social skills.

always looking for acceptance, but never believing he will get it, even when he already has.. poor little guy..

Hobbo Jim
2017-07-18, 10:37 AM
Don't play it, just reroll stats. A friend of mine back in 3.0 rolled a character with charisma 3, and we are still making fun of him after more than 15 years.
He was a cleric, instead of turning undeads, he made them stronger.
Poppycock! Of course you should play it! That cleric has created jokes that have lasted for [I]15 years/I] I imagine it was quite fun to do.

As for how I would play it with high int low cha/wis, the high int would mean that you definitely know what you are talking about. I would then play the low charisma would mean that I have a small force of personality, and struggle to get my ideas across to others. This means I would probably play someone that usually tries to get a word in, but usually can't and when he does, he's not understood. This would cause frustration for him, but in the end he would (usually) go with the flow and others' ideas, even if they weren't great ideas and you have a better one. As for low wisdom, I would play him as fairly cloistered, which makes sense since he is terrible at communicating. Very little experience outside his home, used to eat the same meal every day, and generally trusts people (also matching in to going with the flow).

Xrposiedon
2017-07-18, 11:29 AM
Okay so based on comments, here is how I think I am going to play it.

He is super smart, like....beyond Issac Newton smart.

He however, has a Napoleon complex, and always attempts to prove his strength (which he is really friggin strong)

He does so out of spite for always believing that people are looking at him as a disfigured little creature with no nose. So he will also challenge people to arm wrestling, or actual real wrestling.

He also knows how smart he is, and thinks that getting his achievements in, will make people like him...which has made him into a really really bad liar...who lies about EVERYTHING...not big lies...just small ones....example is below.
Attempts to one up everyone. You get a word in, and he will find a way to one up you.

THIS would be the best example of what he does in social interactions. PENELOPE from SNL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9xNn2f1Go)

However, with his group of friends....(more like people who have just reluctantly accepted him), he pretty much trusts their decisions because he knows he pushes people away...but hes not sure why.

Naanomi
2017-07-18, 01:38 PM
A 4 on a stat is where I start thinking in terms of disability... an expressive social disability may mean you don't talk much, or when you do your speech is idiosyncratic (despite being brilliant).

Really though, it shouldn't be too hard. The reverse... high charisma with super-low intelligence... is the harder one to figure out how to present with

Xrposiedon
2017-07-18, 08:44 PM
A 4 on a stat is where I start thinking in terms of disability... an expressive social disability may mean you don't talk much, or when you do your speech is idiosyncratic (despite being brilliant).

Really though, it shouldn't be too hard. The reverse... high charisma with super-low intelligence... is the harder one to figure out how to present with

Nah High Cha with low int, is just....Mr. Bean from the movies

FabulousFizban
2017-07-19, 01:48 AM
well the first thing i notice is that 4 charisma. This is NOT someone other people like. Less "playful wizard" and more "obnoxious/terrifying/alien (pick one) nutjob. Grapple Shocking Grasp? with a 20 int and an 8 wis? Sounds like a very haughty and impatient goon who no one likes.
mock me? MOCK ME?! BURN BURN BURN!

or maybe: and now young jedi, you will die.

Vogie
2017-07-19, 08:32 AM
8 Wisdom and 4 charisma? That sounds like a player who literally has no filter and will just speak their thoughts aloud. Think Gary from Alphas, Walter Bishop from Fringe, and Parker from Leverage.

FabulousFizban
2017-07-19, 03:10 PM
8 Wisdom and 4 charisma? That sounds like a player who literally has no filter and will just speak their thoughts aloud. Think Gary from Alphas, Walter Bishop from Fringe, and Parker from Leverage.

Walter has great charisma! Tell me you don't love Walter.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-07-19, 04:10 PM
OP, I like your idea.

The DM can make this easier by charging everyone in the part 10 GP for whatever and then your character 15.

Taken alone 8 Wis is at the lower end of normal but not something I'd probably notice on someone immediately. The 4 CHA is either going to be obnoxious, shy, or just incapable of talking in a way normal ppl relate to. The combo could end up starting a couple bar fights though.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-19, 04:42 PM
Okay so based on comments, here is how I think I am going to play it.

He is super smart, like....beyond Issac Newton smart.

He however, has a Napoleon complex,

He also knows how smart he is, and thinks that getting his achievements in, will make people like him...which has made him into a really really bad liar...who lies about EVERYTHING...not big lies...just small ones....
Attempts to one up everyone. You get a word in, and he will find a way to one up you.

re like people who have just reluctantly accepted him), he pretty much trusts their decisions because he knows he pushes people away...but hes not sure why.

YES, DO IT. One of the characters in my group does that, and it's absolutely hilarious.

Rumors of a Dragon nearby? "I befriended a dragon once. I told it Wyvern jokes and it laughed and started calling me 'Joe'. I have no idea why, my name is Kendrick. He used to take me for rides. You ever flown? It's glorious. Makes you feel like a god.
Like. A. God."

He never stops. It's fantastic.

He's such a pathological liar that nobody listens to him when it comes to actual decisions. Which is *perfect* for a super low charisma. No influence, no ability to change minds, nobody willing to 'jump in to the breach' to back them up in social situations.

Rhedyn
2017-07-19, 09:43 PM
Fighter 1/Abjur X

Be a metal ball of doom convinced with your invincibility and supreme intellect. Complete know-it-all god complex.

Xrposiedon
2017-07-19, 10:58 PM
Our DM proposed a scenario of what may happen....which was hilarious to me.

There is a Cave...a Giant may live in it....
My character says

"Guys....I can whoop a giants ass...I've done it thousands of times before....I even defeated a Giant king once"

The party convinces me with little effort to go inside and do it then.

"Oh what? You don't think I will? Screw you guys, you don't know me....I'm stronger than you all, I'm smarter than you all....you guys are gonna get proven so wrong..."

Keep in mind, this is a Friggin gnome we are talking about.

Minutes pass as I am in the cave.....and then....a loud roar and scream...

Giant Running out of the cave, every few steps....he has a noticeable limp. The party notices a small humanoid figured attached to his calf. I am grappled on his leg....tasering the crap out of him with my shocking grasp.

Whit
2017-07-19, 11:24 PM
Easy fun to play sort of. Speak while holding your nose during the game. That's how you sound. Even if saying something smart. Low charisma is no nose ugly, sound of your voice. Just try it anyone. Look in the mirror pinch your nose and talk like your talking to a bar maiden or trying to convince your party or an enemy.

Finger6842
2017-07-20, 01:41 AM
I find the stat placement strange for a wizard, do you plan to MC? I see the attraction in becoming a grappler but I have to tell you from experience the low HD plus low AC will get you in trouble. If you plan to MC then I get it. I typically avoid MC out of Wizard since the Cap is pretty nice.
17 str, 15 dex, 18 con, 20 int, 8 wis, 4 cha
For a grappler build you might consider Goliath.
STR 19, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 4 First ASI gets you to STR 20, DEX 18, Initiative and AC will serve you better than a couple extra HP and with 4ASI you can have 20 in 4 stats.
Standard Human looks even better as a grappler.
STR 18, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 19, WIS 9, CHA 5, first ASI nets you max INT and removes the WIS penalty.

Or obviously variant Human lets you start with the grappler feat and
STR 18, DEX 18, CON 15, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 4 not my first choice.

If you forego grappled, With starting stats like:
STR 8, DEX 17, CON 17, INT 18, WIS 15, CHA 4
With Rock Gnome that becomes:
STR 8, DEX 17, CON 18, INT 20, WIS 15, CHA 4. Wisdom is a critical save so not a good dump stat.
For Half Elf that's:
STR 8, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 18, WIS 15, CHA 6 Which is arguably far less crippling a negative in CHA
For Standard Human
STR 9, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 19, WIS 16, CHA 5 which lets you take a feat at the first ASI to reach max INT or add 1 to INT and STR or CHA.

Don't get me wrong, play what you want, I'm just curious how you see this playing out since there are so many options.

Xrposiedon
2017-07-20, 01:53 AM
I find the stat placement strange for a wizard, do you plan to MC? I see the attraction in becoming a grappler but I have to tell you from experience the low HD plus low AC will get you in trouble. If you plan to MC then I get it. I typically avoid MC out of Wizard since the Cap is pretty nice.
17 str, 15 dex, 18 con, 20 int, 8 wis, 4 cha
For a grappler build you might consider Goliath.
STR 19, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 4 First ASI gets you to STR 20, DEX 18, Initiative and AC will serve you better than a couple extra HP and with 4ASI you can have 20 in 4 stats.
Standard Human looks even better as a grappler.
STR 18, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 19, WIS 9, CHA 5, first ASI nets you max INT and removes the WIS penalty.

Or obviously variant Human lets you start with the grappler feat and
STR 18, DEX 18, CON 15, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 4 not my first choice.

If you forego grappled, With starting stats like:
STR 8, DEX 17, CON 17, INT 18, WIS 15, CHA 4
With Rock Gnome that becomes:
STR 8, DEX 17, CON 18, INT 20, WIS 15, CHA 4. Wisdom is a critical save so not a good dump stat.
For Half Elf that's:
STR 8, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 18, WIS 15, CHA 6 Which is arguably far less crippling a negative in CHA
For Standard Human
STR 9, DEX 18, CON 18, INT 19, WIS 16, CHA 5 which lets you take a feat at the first ASI to reach max INT or add 1 to INT and STR or CHA.

Don't get me wrong, play what you want, I'm just curious how you see this playing out since there are so many options.

The first post should explain why I am playing gnome, and why I am playing wizard. Also, because of the stats rolled, I don't want to be that overpowered badass who ruins the game. That's why I am taking spells to do what I am doing....I still will have full ability to cast the other spells at my disposal, but primarily, the reason I am doing this is to undercut some other stats. I could have dropped STR as the lowest, I could have dropped anything low...but I figured CHA would be one of the best overall gaming experiences and provide the best stories....

Plus....can you imagine a little ole gnome picking a fight with you, only to whoop your butt physically...and if hes losing, he just casts what he needs to win.

The character is locked in. The whole post is about how to play the stats that exist.

90sMusic
2017-07-20, 02:32 AM
You know...

I suppose the "lost your nose in a duel" is implying someone cut it off with a bladed weapon, but since you are a gnome wizard that just doesn't feel right to me.

I think it would be far more interesting if it were a magical duel between casters and when you lost, the victor cast a spell to "take" your nose and he keeps it in a little pouch somewhere. And one of your character motivations is to get your nose back.

This is the kind of silliness I enjoy thinking about sometimes...

Bonus points if the one who beat you and took your nose ends up being your father.

Knaight
2017-07-20, 03:14 AM

Parker the backup grifter? I'd have a hard time justifying less than 10 on any stat for any of the Leverage crew, but this one is particularly off.

Whit
2017-07-20, 11:32 AM
lol I like the dueling wizard lost nose. Try to get it back. I almost want to copy you so I can hold my nose during the game and speak.
Lots of people forget what makes the game memorable is
1. A great character concept
2. An AWSOME 20/20 kill on you or DM villain.
3. A great story.
4. From my long history in playing a few characters are mentioned over and over. An evil cleric that assisted the group but as it would be, betrayed the party euther secretly or opebeky at the end. A lvl 12 paladin who sacrificed himself to destroy an evil artifact. The wild sorcerer dwarf who accidently killed entire dwarf clan and shaved all his hair and went mad believing to be a short human no matter what people said.
It's never the I'm so maxed out that I do mass damage and kill everything. Anyone can do it and most do.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-20, 01:17 PM
I think it would be far more interesting if it were a magical duel between casters and when you lost, the victor cast a spell to "take" your nose and he keeps it in a little pouch somewhere. And one of your character motivations is to get your nose back.

This is the kind of silliness I enjoy thinking about sometimes...

Love it.

http://thefiberopticstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_1939.jpg