PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Perk System - Specialized, tiered "Feat"-like options for Ability Scores

Renduaz
2017-07-16, 04:46 PM
Introduction

Perks represent a purer, innate and more focused honing of your respective Ability Scores than what the generalized Ability Score Improvements grant, and an alternate learning path granting you unique talents in the very essence of what the ability score denotes.

Basic Rules

As such, you must sacrifice some of your traditional improvement in favor of mastering the Perks. In order to take the maximum number of Perks for an Ability Score, one must have an average universal aptitude in it ( A score of 10 ), yet never higher than 10, as the Perk System represents a cessation of that standard path early on, replaced with Perk development. During character creation, you may replace any higher roll you made with a 10 in order to assign it to an ability score of your choosing, or if you have a racial trait which would increase it to 10 ( Such as a +2 to a score ), then the roll would be an 8, but the final score must always be 10. The same applies to the Point Buy System ( The final ability score you start with in an Ability Score you intend to develop the maximum number of Perks in must always be 10 ).

After Character Creation and as you level up, each time your class gives you an Ability Score Improvement, you may choose an Ability Score Perk instead. There are 5 tiers of Perks, containing unique options for each Ability Score, and in order to choose a Perk of a higher tier for a specific Ability Score, one must have a Perk of the previous tier in the very same Ability Score. A player cannot assign Perks to an Ability Score which is lower than 10, and while it is possible during the game to choose a Perk for Ability Scores which were selected as higher than 10 during Character Creation, each 2 points higher than 10 preclude you from a Perk Tier for that Ability Score in a descending order. Having a Score of 20 or above in an Ability score precludes you from taking any Perks in it and any pre-existing Perks you had in it are gone if it becomes 20 or above.

So a Character with 14 CHA will only be able to reach the 3rd Tier of Perks for that ability during his playthrough, and have 2 Perks remaining to assign should he want to ( For example, either a 1st-Tier Perk to 2 ability Scores, or two 1st Tier Perks to the same Ability Scores, or a 1st and 2nd Tier Perk to another Ability Score ), or spend his Ability Score Improvement as normal. In which case he could, for example, increase his CHA to 18 eventually, but by doing so give up the 2 remaining Perks.

As such, only a player who started with an Ability Score of 10 will ever be able to access a 5th Tier Perk for that Ability Score, by exchanging all Ability Score Improvements for a Perk. Similarly to the above restrictions, if he choose an Ability Score Improvement once, then he will only have 4 Perks Remaining, and be unable to assigned certain Tiers of Perks to an Ability Score depending on what it is.

So for instance, a Wizard with 10 Int, 12 Cha, 14 Con, 18 Dex, 9 Wis and 9 STR will never be able to get Perks above the 1st Tier in Dex or above 3rd tier in Con, and if he say, takes a 1st and 2nd tier Perk for Int, and then an Ability Score Improve up to 12 Int, he now only has 2 Perks remaining before reaching max level, so he naturally won't be able to get 5th tier Perks in Int nor anything higher than the 2nd Tier in Cha and Con, 1st Tier in Dex, while Wis and STR cannot be assigned Perks.

Finally, you may take a Feat upon Ability Score Improvement normally instead of a Perk or Ability Score Improvement. Of the 5 Perk choices you make, you can choose to add another Perk of a Tier you have access to, instead of a Perk from an Higher Tier. So for Instance at level 19, our above Wizard can have five 1st-tier distributed it as he wishes between Int, Cha, Con and Dex ( I.E 5 in Int, or 3 in Con, 1 in Int and 1 in Cha ), or he could have a Perk in Tier 1, 2 and 3 to unlock Tier 4 Perks, and then take 2 Tier 4 Perks instead of a 5th Tier Perk. Or get a single 1st-tier Perk in Con, two 2nd-tier Perks in Con, and a 1st and 2nd tier Perks in INT.

Ability Score Changes

There is a finite cap on just how powerful a creature can be with an ability, much like the dictated balance between Perks and Score numbers, and therefore likewise - any attempt to artificially increase that ability score through any in-game action, with the sole exception of the "Ability Score Improvement" feature of your class, automatically fails. Magic Items such as Potions or Belts or Manuals, spells such as True Polymorph, or abilities like Wildshape, magical effects or boons, all simply do not work and fail to increase an ability score in which you have any perks, which is an innate part of your soul and carries over to any form you may take. Likewise anyone who takes your form is unable to use any perks you may have. On the other hand, items and effects which reduce that ability score work normally, such as curses or monster abilities. If it drops below 10, you temporarily lose access to all perks in that Ability Score until it is restored to it's natural state.

Perks in Creatures

Under the DM's discretion, NPC's and Monsters may also have Perks. For leveled NPC's, normal rules applies, while for monsters with a Challenge Rating, Ability Scores must be dropped accordingly based on the tier of the perks, representing that creature's choice to master the path of Perks. The number of Perks remains at a maximum of 5 regardless of CR, and corresponds with Player Levels for Creatures with a CR below 19 - A Maximum of 4 at CR 16, Maximum of 3 at CR 12, and so forth. As a Variant Rule for Creatures above CR 20, you may increase the maximum number of Perks up to 7, with the 6th becoming available at CR 23 and the 7th at CR 27.

So for instance, an Ancient Red Dragon could have 5 Perks in Dex including a 5th Tier Perk normally, or a single 1st Tier Perk in Int, a single 1st Tier Perk in Wis and a 2nd Tier Perk in Wis, and a 1st Tier and 2nd Tier Perk in INT normally, but in order to have that in STR instead, his STR score would have to drop to 10. Or in order to have a 1st Tier Perk in Con, his CON would have to drop to at least 18.

Perk List

-Under Development-

Strength Perks

Tier 1

Muscular: Whenever you take bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage from nonmagical weapons during combat, there is a 10% chance the damage roll will be reduced by 1.

Tier 2

Devastating Force: All of your Attack Rolls against Objects automatically hit, and you do double damage to them.

Tier 3

Stationary: You are immune to the Grappled, Restrained and Prone conditions unless you wish to be affected, or unless you are Petrified, Stunned, Unconscious, Paralyzed or Incapacitated.

Tier 4

Vorpal Fist: When making an Unarmed attack against a target, there is a 5% chance for it to replicate the effects of a Vorpal Greatsword.

Tier 5

Unerring Might: All of your Melee weapon attack rolls are Critical Hits ( But not the same as a Natural 20 on the Dice roll ). Furthermore, you cannot roll lower than a 15 on an Athletics check.

Dexterity Perks

Tier 1

Spry Limbs: You are permanently under the effects equivalent to a "Jump" and "Longstrider" spells.

Tier 2

Axiomatic Reflex: Your attacks of opportunity and any attack made with your reaction always hit.

Tier 3

Dazzling Nimbleness: Any DEX skill check you make now succeeds to the utmost extent conceivable automatically regardless of DC.

Tier 4

Untouchable: You gain a Natural Armor Class of 35, while not wearing armor, magical Items that increase AC, or having any effect which increases AC active on yourself.

Tier 5

Flash: You are always on top of the initiative order regardless of your modifier or any other factors, your base speed is tripled, and you have an extra turn right after your normal turn, during which you can only make a melee, ranged, but not spell or anything else attack, using your Dex modifier for the attack and damage roll, or move.

Constitution Perks

Tier 1

Extreme Hiker: Your Fast Travel Pace is tripled ( Long Distance Sprinting ), Your Forced March limit becomes is doubled to 16 hours, and difficult terrain does not impede your travel.

Tier 2

Fast Metabolism: You can take a Long Rest only with 4 hours, instead of 8.

Tier 3

Unbreakable: You suffer only 1/10 of the Falling or Falling Object damage you normally would, and your Carrying Capacity is 10 times higher.

Tier 4

Supernatural Resilience: You become immune to the Blinded ( With the sole exception of physical cover. You can indeed see normally in Darkness as well as Magical Darkness ), Deafened, Petrified, Poisoned and Fatigued conditions. In addition, you no longer require sleep or sustenance. ( Although you must still complete a Long or Short Rest to refresh your abilities )

Tier 5

Legendary Constitution: You become immune to damage from nonmagical weapons if you weren't already, and you gain 5 legendary resistances per day. You also have the "Regeneration" trait, regaining 20 hit points at the start of each of your turns.

Intelligence Perks

Tier 1

Autodidact: You gain proficiency with all tools, and you can decipher as well as reconstruct any language that you've heard or read more than 10 words in.

Tier 2

Multitasking: Once a day, you may intensify your thinking to allow you to concentrate on two concentration spells of 4th level or lower at once, both lasting for their respective duration, but not if doing so results in contradiction of other game rules.

Tier 3

Hyper Genius: Any INT skill check you make now succeeds to the utmost extent conceivable automatically regardless of DC.

Tier 4

Cosmic Secret: Any spell or magical effect created by you which normally does not apply to deities and their abilities or to artifacts, applies. Neither can they affect your spells or magical effects through their status, only ordinarily ( By using Counterspell against a spell of yours, for instance ). So for example, an Antimagic Field created by you will negate magical effects created by deities and artifacts, and deities cannot stop you from opening a portal with "Gate" in their planes, nor can any deities of Magic or universal forces related to it interfere with your abilities. Through sheer mental epiphany and arcane discovery, you have tapped into an unknown cosmic mechanism which independently enables your actions.

Tier 5

Greater Wish: You can cast Wish innately once per day if you couldn't before ( For which your spellcasting ability modifier is Intelligence +0, and your proficiency bonus does apply. ), and there is now no longer a 33 percent chance that you can never cast Wish again, nor do you suffer the stress described as long as you choose any effect listed in the spell description. If making a personalized Wish, the spell penalties apply as normal ( Which does mean there is a 33 percent chance you will never be able to use this Perk or an ordinary Wish ever again ), however, the Wish will manifest exactly as you intended it to.

Wisdom Perks

Tier 1

Extraordinary Survivalist: Your chances of an hostile random encounter while in the wilderness are halved.

Tier 2

Surreal Perception: Once per day, you can use an action to gain the effect of a "True Seeing" spell for a single round.

Tier 3

Ageless Wisdom: Any WIS skill check you make now succeeds to the utmost extent conceivable automatically regardless of DC.

Tier 4

Mental Sanctuary: Choose between the "Paralyzed" and "Stunned" conditions - you become immune to that condition. In addition, consuming any food grants you benefits equivalent to an "Heroes' Feast" spell, and you are permanently under an effect equivalent to the "Mind Blank" spell.

Tier 5

Greater Magic Immunity: You are now immune to spells of 7th level or lower.

Charisma Perks

Tier 1

Cult of Personality: 10 Humanoids of CR 5, level 5, or lower begin revering you due to a circumstance of the DM's choosing. They will follow your edicts without hesitation, even unto their own demise as well.

Tier 2

Peace Negotiator: Creatures no longer have advantage on saving throws made against a Charmed condition applied by you during combat.

Tier 3

Peerless Appeal: Any CHA skill check you make now succeeds to the utmost extent conceivable automatically regardless of DC. ( As always, a DM is under no obligation to initiate such a check in the first place, if there is no chance at all of reconciliation )

Tier 4

Blind Obedience: Every time you apply the "Charmed" condition to a creature, you may choose to put it under an effect equivalent to that described in the "Dominate Monster" spell, with the exception of the duration which is the same as that of the original spell. You must also maintain concentration for the duration. You also gain the "Dominate Monster" spell which you can cast innately once per day ( For which your spellcasting ability modifier is Charisma, and your proficiency bonus does apply. ), if you did not already have it.

Tier 5

Irresistible Charm: You can bypass the "Charmed" condition immunity of any creature.

Conclusion

I've tried my best to make it as optimized and balanced as possible, but since it is a "High Power" game mechanic system, the balance is very delicate and I may have screwed up significantly, so I'll appreciate optimization suggestions. Also, I have currently been unable to think of more Perks for each tier, so feel free to post if you have any. The system is designed to be flexible for DM's adding their own Perks or replacing mine anyway.

demonslayerelf
2017-07-16, 05:19 PM
So, let me preface by saying; I like this idea. It reminds me of the 3.5e feat trees, in a way.

However, like those feats, it seems that the moment you get beyond the most basic level, become overpowered as balls.
A 3rd tier Perk can be taken as a 12th level anything, or an 8th level Fighter.
Most of those are essentially; "You can never fail this type of check. You are utterly perfect in this category."

And unless I've mistaken something, you only need a 14 to reach that!

And don't even get me started on any of the 4th or 5th tier Perks.
(A 35 AC!? Holy-)
(One/Day WISH with no 1/3 chance to lose it forever!? What the f-)

Even some of the Tier 1-2's are pretty powerful.
A Sentinel with the Tier 2 Dexterity ability is essentially the ultimate guard.
ANYTHING with a Tier 1 Charisma ability breaks the action economy.

All of that said, there are a few that are pretty cool. There are a couple good Ribbon abilities. You can definitely make an over the top, action-movie ninja or monk with the first Dexterity Perk, without it being particularly powerful.

Basically, about half of them might be the place for an Epic Boon(And then some), and about the other half are alright, I think.

Renduaz
2017-07-16, 05:35 PM
So, let me preface by saying; I like this idea. It reminds me of the 3.5e feat trees, in a way.

However, like those feats, it seems that the moment you get beyond the most basic level, become overpowered as balls.
A 3rd tier Perk can be taken as a 12th level anything, or an 8th level Fighter.
Most of those are essentially; "You can never fail this type of check. You are utterly perfect in this category."

And unless I've mistaken something, you only need a 14 to reach that!

And don't even get me started on any of the 4th or 5th tier Perks.
(A 35 AC!? Holy-)
(One/Day WISH with no 1/3 chance to lose it forever!? What the f-)

Even some of the Tier 1-2's are pretty powerful.
A Sentinel with the Tier 2 Dexterity ability is essentially the ultimate guard.
ANYTHING with a Tier 1 Charisma ability breaks the action economy.

All of that said, there are a few that are pretty cool. There are a couple good Ribbon abilities. You can definitely make an over the top, action-movie ninja or monk with the first Dexterity Perk, without it being particularly powerful.

Basically, about half of them might be the place for an Epic Boon(And then some), and about the other half are alright, I think.

Wouldn't those 3rd tier perks since they are skill related be counterbalanced by the loss of ability score points? Would penalizing ability scores even more such as starting from 8 or less instead of 10 be more balanced in your opinion?

AC 35 was actually chosen since it's the highest AC you can achieve normally with magical items and Shield of Faith/Haste potion, and I figured anything less would not be worth much since it could be achieved ordinarily. Wish is actually broken as it is since a Simulacrum can cast one of those effects, while suffering the 1/3 chance itself. Tier 1 Charisma ability breaks the action economy? Those creatures can die though, and at higher level they aren't particularly more useful than any other ragtag militiamen or creatures you can call upon.

They are intended to be powerful since you're giving up more and more points in an ability scores for higher tiers, while as Epic Boons you would actually give up nothing. The 5th tier are already only available at level 19 ( But for Fighter, should've thought about that ).

I suppose I could temper it even more by introducing 4th tier and above Perks as only becoming available instead of an Epic Boon ( And then some ) while still requiring the ability score penalty, while perhaps just giving Expertise for 3rd tier? I mean, a 20th level player with Expertise in a skill and the highest modifier and some Bard/Rogue class abilities already has such an insanely high roll ( Upward of 30's and 40's ) that I fail to see how he would fail any kind of check only rarely, hence why I gave it as the 3rd Tier ability while incurring the ability score penalty. So, would those work?

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-16, 05:40 PM
I like everything but the ac 35.maybe giving an unarmored efdect equaling ac plus 14 or 15 plus dex.plus one ability score of the players choice. For the unarmored defense

JNAProductions
2017-07-16, 07:32 PM
These are overpowered as hell.

Composer99
2017-07-17, 08:47 PM
Kind of kludgey, at least IMO. You need to have a 10 in an ability score to start earning perks, and each perk replaces an ASI/feat? It doesn't really fit the conceptual/fluffy nature of what ability scores are in-game, again, at least IMO. If having an 18 Intelligence means you're a genius, and 10 means you're average... how does one justify you being a "hyper genius"?

Also, while many of the top-tier perks are broken AF, it's questionable whether you want to give up ability modifiers to get there at 19th level, seeing as most games never reach that point. I mean, if I'm building a barbarian, say, do I really want to gimp myself to the tune of losing out on +3/+4/+5 on attack and damage rolls for almost my entire adventuring career and sacrifice feats like Great Weapon Master, just for a chance to always score critical hits on weapon attacks at a level of play I might not realistically see (critical hits that will look anemic without Great Weapon Master, I might add)? Likewise, if I'm building a wizard, say, do I really want to give up +3/+4/+5 on spell attack rolls and saving throw DCs for 18 levels (even granting that the Intelligence perks are among the most broken at all tiers) to get free wishes for 2 levels?

Speaking of the wish perk:

You can cast Wish innately once per day if you couldn't before ( For which your spellcasting ability modifier is Intelligence +0, and your proficiency bonus does apply. ), and there is now no longer a 33 percent chance that you can never cast Wish again, nor do you suffer the stress described as long as you choose any effect listed in the spell description. If making a personalized Wish, the spell penalties apply as normal ( Which does mean there is a 33 percent chance you will never be able to use this Perk or an ordinary Wish ever again ), however, the Wish will manifest exactly as you intended it to.

As far as broken lower-level tiers goes:

Tier 1 Charisma ability breaks the action economy? Those creatures can die though, and at higher level they aren't particularly more useful than any other ragtag militiamen or creatures you can call upon.

At lower levels, where most games happen, those minions are still going to be effective, ranging from decently to amazingly (depending on their CRs) so. For instance, a single CR 5 gladiator will be a force to be reckoned with for levels to come, and with a little TLC could contribute positively until late in the campaign.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-18, 02:51 PM
I might use these as boons get perk points to spend on any combination of those and each tier costs its total number. Skill points. So lets say 15 that would i think give you three fives in three of them or maybe not. Or maybe more skill points so you can maybe up it to 20 as a skill points as an epic boon.and take away that garbage 0nly 10 can achieve this. O0.
____