PDA

View Full Version : How can I make playing as a Dwarf authentic?

CrackedChair
2017-07-16, 07:00 PM
So I usually make Human adventurers, which require not much on my part to make, but now I want to extend to other races and make a Dwarf.

Dwarf lore seems like a lot to take in. Hatred, love for ale, and a penchant for metalsmithing is one thing I can do, but I want to get the other bits of being a Dorf Dwarf down. Could somebody give me guidance?

kraftcheese
2017-07-16, 07:08 PM
The setting you're playing in might help; dwarves are different depending on the setting.

CrackedChair
2017-07-16, 07:18 PM
It is most likely Forgotten Realms... although when it comes to Dwarves, I think they are the same wherever you go...

Case in point... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame)

goto124
2017-07-16, 07:56 PM
Hey hey, you forgot the TvTropes warning!

Koo Rehtorb
2017-07-16, 07:59 PM
Say "Aye lad" and hit things with axes and drink a lot.

Lord Raziere
2017-07-16, 08:37 PM
The Insane Players Guide to Playing a Dwarf:
Ye see laddie, to be a dwarf is to be tough. In all things. Yer hard as the rock ye born in. So naturally ye gotta be as hard in everythin' else. This guide is fer doing that, ye tyke, so that ye can dwarf everyone in the dwarves as well.

The first thing ye need to remember is that yer not an Elf. This is most important! Yer different from Elves. Ye don't like elves. Ye and elves just don't mix. Ye got to prove that right when you meet em, no matter what! Therefore when ye meet an elf, punch them in the face, or the groin as hard as ye can. Harder the better, it establishes the proper Dwarf-Elf relationship off right! This is true in all situations laddie, from a casual meet at the inn, to tha most highest of diplomatic relations. Don't worry about getting trouble. Them elves may be good for nuthin' but they understand our places and what our relationship is. Punching elves is just our way of respectful greetin'

The next thing to remember, is to drink. Specifically alcohol of any persuasion. Grog, mead, wine, tequila, beer, ale, cider, whiskey, yer to drink them all. More specifically to yer to outdrink! Outdrink everyone! a Dwarf should never lose a drinking contest to anyone. You outdrink all forms of life when it comes to the spirits and ye don't, yer a failure of a dwarf. Humans? Ye outdrink them. Orcs? Ye outdrink them. Dragons? Ye outdrink them. Giants? Ye especially outdrink those lightweights. The god of drinking? Ye outdrink him. Yes even him, if'n you don't outdrink the god of drinking yes yer a failure of a dwarf. Ye outdrink everything. No exception.

Thirdly, ye must remember that blacksmithin' is awesome. and that ye don't need silly book magic when ye can use the magic of the forge! A well made axe will do ye better than any dern fireball. Or hammer. Cause ye see boy, lad....we don't choose axes and hammers. They choose dwarves. They be thankin' us by choosing us for forging them ye see, and they like fighting alongside us and therefore give us great powers that no wizard can ever hope to achieve or replicate. Powers to fight better and greater than ye ever believe. So remember ifn' ye need to fight a giant, dragon or even a god, ye get to yer forge, get ye some metal and forge ye an axe to kill them with. That axe will be ye ever need, cause yer a dwarf.

Fourthly, we dwarves are creature of tradition and stability. We are all the same because we work. Them elves constantly change and fragment cause clearly they don't. Dwarves endure, because ain't broke, and you don't fix what ain't broke! So grab an axe, some booze and dislike elves all ye want, no need to improve, no need to change, no need to question. Thats just our earthly common sense in action proving superior to them elves complicated fancy academics and speechifyin' that don't amount to nuthin' and only make people hate em' cause they think they're so much better than you. Others will make ye try to question all this, but don't listen, cause dwarves are the sanest most down to earth race in all of fantasy, with our honesty, dependable nature, loyalty, and reliability, what does anyone else know in comparison, aye? Whens the last time ye ever see an elf help yeh?

So just remember these lessons, always know where yer axe is, and remember the slogan:

Screw Elves.

Yer now ready to dwarf it with your dwarfness. Go forth and dwarf all things!

scalyfreak
2017-07-16, 10:04 PM
One little thing that impacts fluff a lot more than mechanics: Dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and other short races, are actually really short. Moving around in a world where everything is built to the scale of humans probably becomes frustrating after a while. Imagine how annoying it is to have to ask the bartender to slide your beer stein closer to the edge of the counter, since you can't reach it until he does.

No wonder dwarves are so grouchy.

AMFV
2017-07-16, 10:22 PM
Well the best way to make any character authentic is to actually think about the culture they come from. Like what are Dwarves like culturally. And then you can in-your head, start to build your own character's beliefs and behaviors from that. That's normally how I go about things.

VoxRationis
2017-07-17, 12:28 AM
Your character is traveling in lands filled with barbarians. Human kingdoms are short-lived, just as humans are. Their "traditions" are merely the product of the last century. Their arts are inferior to yours. Their architecture is small-scale, with inferior masonry marked by needing to resort to glue (glue!) to keep their walls together. Their smithing is inferior. Their brewing is inferior. Their real feature is some sort of purported "connection with nature" and "facility with growing things," which is obviously them making up for their lack of actual prowess with anything, and their superior numbers, something they share with such brutish creatures as orcs and goblins. Everything in this land is savage and filthy, and frankly, the inhabitants of this land deserve to know it.

Haldir
2017-07-17, 02:23 AM
I find it amusing that this thread literally keeps appearing. I believe Mr. Burlew even mentioned once that the Durkula is the result of attempting to develop Durkon into something more than the stereotypical Dwarf.

Also see here for some context on the stereotypical dwarf- http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0602.html

I do have some advice for you.

1. Dwarves have a strong constitution, and many of them prefer to live and subsist solely underground, so they are probably ok with eating things humans might consider unacceptable. Think mushrooms that might make a human sick or high. Constantly scavenging food around you might not even be an unacceptable thing if you are a deep living dwarf. Your dwarf might wholeheartedly accept this tradition, or might abstain, being more of a "classy" or "traditionalist dwarf."

2. Speaking of Dwarven classes- there might be a somewhat strict caste system in place for some kingdoms. Does your Dwarf accept this or resent it?

3. I generally tend to play Dwarves as very shrewd and enjoying of simple luxuries. While some are excessively decorative (aristocratic and rent-collecting Dwarves), almost all Dwarves abstain from too much frivolity. Thrift and haggling are common practices, and free trade is a noble idea. Dwarves don't tip, as they prefer only to spend wealth on clearly defined contracts. If a Dwarf gives you a tip, it's almost always because he wants something extra.

4. Be a tough negotiator and a loyal friend. Though clannish, Dwarves who live underground usually do a good deal of trade for foodstuffs, so they have little issue making friends and traveling to other places when the payoff is right. If a Dwarf accepts a non-Dwarf as a friend, they tend to be quite loyal.

Dappershire
2017-07-17, 03:58 AM
1) Name your Axe. Keep it shiny.
2) Name your Beard. Keep it shiny too.
3) Never pass a horse without punching it in the nose. I dunno, its just tradition I guess.
4) Never agree to drink in the first tavern you see. Always the second.
5) If, after 3 drinks, your comrades aren't passed out,; the ale sucks, go back to the first tavern.
6) The same adoration humans have for kittens and puppies, Dwarves have for birds.
7) When the bill comes, always pay one copper less than it says, and say "Keep the tip." The tip is to always count your coins.
8) Always count your coins.
9) Always have some Flint to chew on, it freshens beer breath.
10) Never count to ten.

Herobizkit
2017-07-17, 04:04 AM
If you can find it, there may be information floating around from the 2e "Complete Book of Dwarves" that does a pretty good job of presenting a typical Dwarf lifestyle, mentality and core values.

goto124
2017-07-17, 08:34 AM
1. so they are probably ok with eating things humans might consider unacceptable. Think mushrooms that might make a human sick or high. Your dwarf might wholeheartedly accept this tradition, or might abstain, being more of a "classy" or "traditionalist dwarf."

You could combine the two and get a dwarf whose idea of 'classy' is food that makes a human sick. What, you can't handle a 40% alcohol drink? Can't appreciate a good mushroom that's been fermented in a special cave for 100 years?

3. Dwarves don't tip, as they prefer only to spend wealth on clearly defined contracts. If a Dwarf gives you a tip, it's almost always because he wants something extra.

Like certain real-life countries, dwarven restaurants (or their less fanciful versions of a food place) have flat service charges, and tipping is seen as bribery. This may be a culture shock to people who are used to tipping.

The Glyphstone
2017-07-17, 10:49 AM
At the table, sit on a stool instead of a chair, so you are shorter than all the other players. That extra verisimilitude can make all the difference.

Haldir
2017-07-17, 11:38 AM
You could combine the two and get a dwarf whose idea of 'classy' is food that makes a human sick. What, you can't handle a 40% alcohol drink? Can't appreciate a good mushroom that's been fermented in a special cave for 100 years?

Like certain real-life countries, dwarven restaurants (or their less fanciful versions of a food place) have flat service charges, and tipping is seen as bribery. This may be a culture shock to people who are used to tipping.

Both of these situations recently came up in a module i designed. I described Dwarven restaurants as usually big round stones for stir-frying ingredients, except for the fancy dining halls where rich dwarves pay to eat food killed in a live combat performance before dinner.

My unscrupulous warlock of course wanted mushrooms that would make him trip, and there was a merchant ready to supply. Weakened his inhibitions and the resulting magic caused quite the stir, but even in combat he had a good high.

Lacco
2017-07-17, 11:57 AM
@OP: Just don't underplay it.

And remeber: if you are not seen, you must be heard! :smallbiggrin:

What, you can't handle a 40% alcohol drink?

Damn... my country is full of dwarves then!!! :smallbiggrin:

woweedd
2017-07-17, 12:06 PM
I'm not whether this is helpful, but, basically, think "Scottish Vikings." WIth some German and Jewish influences mixed in, dependent on setting.

Jay R
2017-07-17, 09:55 PM
Besides playing the standard dwarf, you should ask yourself, "How is my dwarf different from the standard dwarf?"

RazorChain
2017-07-17, 11:38 PM
Find a authentic dwarf and study his mannerism, speech pattern. Ask him about his likes and dislikes, just try to find out every thing about him. When you have done that take a picture of him and post it on these forums.

redwizard007
2017-07-18, 05:03 AM
Find a authentic dwarf and study his mannerism, speech pattern. Ask him about his likes and dislikes, just try to find out every thing about him. When you have done that take a picture of him and post it on these forums.

The Johnny Dep approach. I like it.

Steampunkette
2017-07-18, 07:24 AM
Dwarves are people.

They have the same needs of food and shelter, care and friendship, as anyone else. But they're going to live to be 400 years old. Any friends they make are going to have to be worthwhile, since they'll be stuck with them for centuries. And you really do -not- want an annoying friend to keep popping up with all their annoying habits for 300 freaking years! So dwarves tend to be slow to trust, to really make a -bond- with people, until they're certain that the person in question is worthwhile.

You ever have a dog? Humans are kind of like Dogs compared to Dwarves. They fall in love with a quickness, try to be your best friend immediately, and follow you around for years. The slightest shift in tone can make them fawn over you and try to make things right. And like any dog, they're infectious with their affection. They're not pets, mind you, or of animalistic intellect. Just the way they interact with the world so much faster, how they fall in love so much more quickly. They don't think about the future because they don't have one.

And like a dog... you'll come to love them, too. Oh, they'll be annoying. Can't help it. But it's an -endearing- annoying, rather than Olaf the Prat who thinks it's hilarious to sneak up on you while you're working and belch in your ear as loud as he can. And then you'll meet their children. And fall in love all over again with that squealing bundle of pink amazement. Show 'em a whole world as they grow, and become the people you helped them become, and have children of their own to restart the whole cycle.

And that is a microcosm of everything in a dwarf's life. Duty. Tradition. Honor. Craftsmanship. It's all about shaping what is to come. You're going to live for hundreds of years, you'll be able to remember when the 200ft tall rockface was smooth and bare before you took up your chisel and shaped it over a hundred and fourty seven years into a masterpiece of artwork visible from dozens of miles away. You may not have known exactly what shape you were going to craft when you started, but you'll see the finished product that stands for a dozen elven lifetimes.

Tradition and Duty shape societies. Craftsmanship shapes the things around you. Honor shapes the world and the people in it.

NovenFromTheSun
2017-07-19, 03:47 AM
The first solution you look toward is magma, everything else is to be considered after magma is proven to be impractical for the situation.

AMFV
2017-07-19, 08:53 PM
At the table, sit on a stool instead of a chair, so you are shorter than all the other players. That extra verisimilitude can make all the difference.

I just want to say that this is a really cool idea, and I'm definitely going to try it the next time I play a Dwarf.