PDA

View Full Version : Why do barbarians have uncanny dodge?

AceOfFools
2017-07-16, 08:05 PM
Barbarians as a class are all about reckless aggression, having limited armor and their signature ability actively reduces their ability to dodge.

So why do they get the ability to uncannily dodge attacks they can't see coming and react more quickly to traps?

Venger
2017-07-16, 08:08 PM
Barbarians as a class are all about reckless aggression, having limited armor and their signature ability actively reduces their ability to dodge.

So why do they get the ability to uncannily dodge attacks they can't see coming and react more quickly to traps?

Because of their quick feral reflexes

J-H
2017-07-16, 08:17 PM
Because Conan was known for his reflexes and animal cunning.

Endarire
2017-07-16, 08:29 PM
Because it makes their charts feel better.

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-16, 10:55 PM
Just because that Barbarians prefer an offensive combat style (AC penalties) doesn't mean that their senses are dull.
Imho they have perfect natural combat senses like a wild animal.

The Barb sees the blow always coming, it's just his pride that doesn't always want to dodge the blow and instead hit harder once it's his turn again to act.

One Step Two
2017-07-16, 11:04 PM
I believe it's also an port of their OD&D %chance ability to negate a thief's backstab attempt.

emeraldstreak
2017-07-17, 03:54 AM
Because Conan was known for his reflexes and animal cunning.

Coz Barbarians are really the mix of Fighter and Thief Conan was.

Mordaedil
2017-07-17, 04:06 AM
Technically every class was the thief until the thief was written in and basically ruined every other class.

Damn thief. You ruined everything!

Eldan
2017-07-17, 04:06 AM
Of course, they don't really share much else with Conan.

AceOfFools
2017-07-17, 07:50 AM
I have limited familiarity with Conan, does he actually use rage and reckless offense add part of his signature style? I had always heard him described as the quintessential fighter/thief.

Feral reflexes or hightend senses don't grant animals (or almost any other creatures that have them, e.g. elves) uncanny dodge. A
human barbarian had objectively worse senses than an elven ranger, but has much better ability to dodge unexpected attacks, traps, and fight against coordinated foes.

Why?

Kaleph
2017-07-17, 08:07 AM
I have limited familiarity with Conan, does he actually use rage and reckless offense add part of his signature style? I had always heard him described as the quintessential fighter/thief.

Feral reflexes or hightend senses don't grant animals (or almost any other creatures that have them, e.g. elves) uncanny dodge. A
human barbarian had objectively worse senses than an elven ranger, but has much better ability to dodge unexpected attacks, traps, and fight against coordinated foes.

Why?

AFAIKR, Conan was using uncanny dodge in the movie "Conan the destroyer'

Psyren
2017-07-17, 09:08 AM
A human barbarian had objectively worse senses than an elven ranger, but has much better ability to dodge unexpected attacks, traps, and fight against coordinated foes.

I don't have the D&D history to answer your initial question, but for the "elven ranger" analogy, senses are irrelevant because uncanny dodge doesn't use your senses at all.

Technically every class was the thief until the thief was written in and basically ruined every other class.

Damn thief. You ruined everything!

Yeah, darn that Tolkien! Complete hack I tell you.

ngilop
2017-07-17, 09:14 AM
Because Fighters have access to heavy armor and bonus feats.

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-17, 03:49 PM
A

Why?

Because the senses involved and the way they are used differs.

The elven ranged is trained to "spot forms, structures & colors".

While the barbarian is trained to react to attacks that he can't see. He might hear them in the last instant and have fast enough combat reflexes to react to it. Or he feels the vibration on the earth or the air-pressure from the charging enemy.

Both have trained their senses, but in different ways and with different results. And neither of em can copycat the other. Neither one is overall better, they just have different specializations.

Zanos
2017-07-17, 04:51 PM
If it made sense, it wouldn't be uncanny.

AceOfFools
2017-07-17, 11:40 PM
I don't have the D&D history to answer your initial question, but for the "elven ranger" analogy, senses are irrelevant because uncanny dodge doesn't use your senses at all.
That's actually a good point. Uncanny dodge functions just fine while blind, deaf, and against intangible foes that can't effect the air around them.

If it made sense, it wouldn't be uncanny.
Hehehe.

Mordaedil
2017-07-18, 01:12 AM
Yeah, darn that Tolkien! Complete hack I tell you.
Actually, D&D drew more inspiration initially from Conan and the like, and originally didn't have a thief class, it was only introduced as inspirations started borrowing more elements from folklore and eventually Tolkien.

2017-07-18, 06:18 AM

"My plot armor is tingling."

Psyren
2017-07-18, 09:08 AM
If you do want your Elven Ranger to have Uncanny Dodge though, VMC has you covered.

Actually, D&D drew more inspiration initially from Conan and the like, and originally didn't have a thief class, it was only introduced as inspirations started borrowing more elements from folklore and eventually Tolkien.

I was referring to Tolkien being among the first, if not the first, to see the need for a "burglar" as a dedicated role in an adventuring party.

Hackulator
2017-07-18, 12:11 PM
The answer is always Conan.

Jay R
2017-07-18, 12:46 PM

Original D&D, without any supplements (and therefore before the Thief class), had four PC races: Humans (called Men, as in Tolkien), Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits.

The paragraph about allowing other PC races used balrogs as the example.

The monster list included ents and balrogs.

Tolkien was a major influence from the start.

Mordaedil
2017-07-19, 01:40 AM
Original D&D, without any supplements (and therefore before the Thief class), had four PC races: Humans (called Men, as in Tolkien), Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits.

The paragraph about allowing other PC races used balrogs as the example.

The monster list included ents and balrogs.

Tolkien was a major influence from the start.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact time frame and history, I'll admit. But was chainmail like that too?

Amashelle
2017-07-19, 07:21 PM
I see the uncanny dodge ability that barbarians and rogues get as something like an 'always ready for trouble' type thing. Rogues are skulky, sneaky type characters, always on the lookout of getting caught. Barbarians are smashy-meatshieldy type characters who are always on the lookout for the next fight (while a straight-up fighter might be too busy brushing up on his tactical maneuvers).

Braininthejar2
2017-07-19, 07:22 PM
Because Conan dodged the venomous spider in the Tower of the Elephant