PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite homebrew magic item that made you think how to use it?

suplee215
2017-07-16, 08:36 PM
Today my character received a weird magic item. It was a magical rock. It began as a simple weapon that can do 1d6 dmg. My barbarian was able to fix it to flail, making it a martial weapon (upping dmg to 1d8). It was a +1 weapon that absorbed elements it was hit with so the damage was it. For example, when the wizard hit it with a fire bolt it dealt fire damage instead of bludgeoning. What more is it grants resistance to the type of damage it is giving. At first I thought this was just an added bonus, than I realize how brilliant it was. Basically, if I pick a damage type like force then it becomes offensively amazing. But the defense side is weak. Whereas if I pick fire, a lot of enemies resist it but also deal it. This made me wonder what are some magic items other people have seen that made you pick between using it one way or the other?

Finger6842
2017-07-16, 08:54 PM
Today my character received a weird magic item. It was a magical rock. It began as a simple weapon that can do 1d6 dmg. My barbarian was able to fix it to flail, making it a martial weapon (upping dmg to 1d8). It was a +1 weapon that absorbed elements it was hit with so the damage was it. For example, when the wizard hit it with a fire bolt it dealt fire damage instead of bludgeoning. What more is it grants resistance to the type of damage it is giving. At first I thought this was just an added bonus, than I realize how brilliant it was. Basically, if I pick a damage type like force then it becomes offensively amazing. But the defense side is weak. Whereas if I pick fire, a lot of enemies resist it but also deal it. This made me wonder what are some magic items other people have seen that made you pick between using it one way or the other?

That's actually pretty strong, resistance to any magic type is pretty nice. The damage part is week though, fire elemental hits you with a fire spell, now you are attacking with fire and he's immune.

I'm not fond of home brew, everything always seems overpowered. I did once get a ring that summoned a centaur mount, intelligent and temperamental, she was a whole quest line by herself. In the mid levels survivability was good, by 12 or 13 I had to keep her off the field of play or she would die and disappear for 24 hours. Her bow skills and carry capacity were a welcome addition without being too powerful. Now it's my favorite item behind staff of the magi.

suplee215
2017-07-16, 09:00 PM
That's actually pretty strong, resistance to any magic type is pretty nice. The damage part is week though, fire elemental hits you with a fire spell, now you are attacking with fire and he's immune.

Well it seems like you have to hit the weapon specifically for it to work and so you have a little bit of control over it. Doesn't change every time it gets hit or so it seems. Not positive how it works yet but we'll see. And yea, in order for the resistance to be important the damage part suffers and vice versa.