PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder E6 in Pathfinder?

rs2excelsior
2017-07-16, 11:21 PM
I've been looking a bit at E6 and I like it quite a bit, as it lets characters keep advancing in abilities while staying in a general power level I like (DMing a middling-high level campaign, right about level 14 with mythic tiers, and it's a tad wearing at times--so many RL assumptions that just don't hold with characters of that level). Thing is, the preferred system of myself and my group is Pathfinder rather than 3.5. Can the E6 guidelines here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D) be ported over more or less unchanged? Has anyone tried an E6 game in Pathfinder?

I'm also curious about the particular capstone feats for the classes. Are they balanced to use as is? It seems like they do cover abilities which the PF versions of those classes get in levels 7-8, at least from my spot check. Also the feat that raises the skill cap (from Level+3 to Level+5, for PF would be Level to Level+2) can only be taken at level 6, but it doesn't seem like you get more skill points past level 6 anyway (and no feat -at- level 6 to take it then--if I remember correctly it's the same situation in 3.5, would only have a feat at 1st and 4th levels). Is there a way to get more skill points that I'm missing?

Also, more about the general system than the conversion to Pathfinder, looking at some things being run in E6 they talk about getting on the order of 40-50(!) feats by endgame. Do you really get to totals that high? I can see a fighter/martial class rolling around in all the combat styles and teamwork feats and whatnot, do casters just take every single spell focus and metamagic feat? It seems like different builds would start to run together at that point, as people started running out of decent feats to take. But maybe I'm underestimating the breadth of feats available.

Anyway, any guidelines or suggestions?

ATHATH
2017-07-16, 11:40 PM
P6 (http://p6codex.com/) is a thing, y'know.

legomaster00156
2017-07-16, 11:52 PM
He probably didn't know it. That's probably why he made this thread.

Godskook
2017-07-17, 12:35 AM
Can the E6 guidelines here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D) be ported over more or less unchanged? Has anyone tried an E6 game in Pathfinder?

The general principle is *EASY* to port. Just stop level advancement at level 6, lock-out post-6 options for PCs(or not, its not required), and just....go.

Specifics found in the guidelines are merely add-ons that those authors liked, and can be used or ignored at your leisure.

I'm also curious about the particular capstone feats for the classes. Are they balanced to use as is? It seems like they do cover abilities which the PF versions of those classes get in levels 7-8, at least from my spot check. Also the feat that raises the skill cap (from Level+3 to Level+5, for PF would be Level to Level+2) can only be taken at level 6, but it doesn't seem like you get more skill points past level 6 anyway (and no feat -at- level 6 to take it then--if I remember correctly it's the same situation in 3.5, would only have a feat at 1st and 4th levels). Is there a way to get more skill points that I'm missing?

To start, I'd ignore those unless the P6 guide says otherwise.

Also, more about the general system than the conversion to Pathfinder, looking at some things being run in E6 they talk about getting on the order of 40-50(!) feats by endgame. Do you really get to totals that high? I can see a fighter/martial class rolling around in all the combat styles and teamwork feats and whatnot, do casters just take every single spell focus and metamagic feat? It seems like different builds would start to run together at that point, as people started running out of decent feats to take. But maybe I'm underestimating the breadth of feats available.

40-50 feats is totally doable, but that's extremely "high level". Personally, I'd try to keep players in the "sweet spot" of the first 5-20 feats. And plan on retiring characters who start pulling above that mark.

Korahir
2017-07-17, 12:44 AM
You can also just use a hard cap on feats. I am currently homebrewing a P6 setting/campaign. This is my take on P6:

P6
No more levels can be gained after level 6. After reaching level 6 and gaining enough XP to level up again characters gain a feat and ONE of the following:

•6+Con Modifier HP
•4+ Int Modifier Skill Points which may be used to increase a skill to rank 7
•+1 to all saves
•+1 BAB or +1 CL

Every bonus may only be chosen once.

Had no chance to test it with a group so far.

Krazzman
2017-07-17, 04:28 AM
I did a short solo campaign for a Barbarian//Inquisitor character that got to level 6 and managed to grab 2 more feats. It was fun and I certainly see that advancing farther along this might be quite more fun thanks to being able to focus on more stuff.

rs2excelsior
2017-07-17, 09:47 AM
Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll look over that P6 guide. I didn't know that was a thing before.

I think I will port some of the 3.5 things over, pending what I see in P6. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out with my group sometime soon!

Manyasone
2017-07-18, 12:01 PM
P6 (http://p6codex.com/) is a thing, y'know.

I've been to this site. It seems pretty out of date. Or am i missing something?

exelsisxax
2017-07-18, 12:06 PM
I've been to this site. It seems pretty out of date. Or am i missing something?

Not really out of date, as it does have pretty much all the rules you need to get it done. But it certainly seems to have missed some scheduled updates a while ago.

rs2excelsior
2017-07-18, 01:02 PM
The abridged codex is pretty well complete. It's got a solid looking set of epic feats and rules for ritual spellcasting, etc. The full codex is basically just the regular core classes only listed up to 6th level instead of 20th, and nothing else. Given that it was supposed to be complete in 2014, I think the abridged codex is what we've got to work with.