PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian mystic

Meepwizard
2017-07-16, 11:57 PM
After reading unearthed arcana's mystic; I thought to myself "what if a mystic's power came from rage? I then thought that the barbarian's rage refers to spells, but not psionics(because this is unearthed arcana;not official)" so I want your opinion on how to expand on a psionic barbarian whose rage was so much that he willed things to happen. How would you expand upon the concept of mystic barbarian(mechanicaly and role-playing wise)

Arcangel4774
2017-07-17, 12:15 AM
Role play wise you could play it as a two personality person, when you can control your inner demon you have some mystic powers, but when you lose control it's rage overwhelms you and you berserk.

Steampunkette
2017-07-17, 07:09 AM
While raging you cannot cast spells or concentrate... ON SPELLS.

Psionic Disciplines are not spells, according to the UA. This is why you can't Counterspell a Psionic Discipline even if it mimics a spell...

So you can use literally any psionic power you like while raging. I'd suggest using the Order of the Awakened. I know it doesn't work really well with the Awakened disciplines and rage (Not improving your attack ability much) but it gives you two -very- important discipline choices.

Intellect Fortress and Psychic Assault.

Intellect Fortress gets you access to Psychic Resistance to fill out your issues with damage resistance, making it really hard for anyone to -ever- hurt you. Psychic Assault, on the other hand, gives you access to both ranged attacks (One that has no save or attack roll!) and area of effect murdercubes that rely on Intelligence Saves. You're either going to wind up a MAD build or with a minimal saving throw DC. I'd suggest the latter, since few enemies are going to have good Intelligence saves.

Nomadic Step gives you tons of movement options, which is great for a character who might otherwise get nailed down by threats of opportunity attacks. Grab Mantle of Fury, later, and become so RAGE POWERED that you infect your allies with your violence!

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-17, 07:18 AM
You may just want to check with your DM to make sure that this would be allowed. Yes, Rage says that you can't concentrate or cast spells, and psionics aren't technically spells, but I know that my DM wouldn't allow me to use that combo and be able to cast 'spells' while raging. He'd probably allow me to concentrate on a focus, but that is it.

I do think that a Barbarian/Avatar could be an interesting combo, either leading your own team with your fury, or using your fury to enrage your enemies and cause them to make mistakes or focus on you.