PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Starting a New Campaign

D&D
2017-07-17, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone!
So my group is finishing up our old campaign and we are starting a new one soon. I started about half way through the current campaign, so I'm really excited to start one from the very beginning. My last character was an Afflicted Werewolf Drow Scout-Sniper/Assassin, whom would be retiring shortly even if we weren't wrapping up the campaign because she's pregnant (Mazel tov!)
So I was wondering if I could get some feedback for my new character.

I've decided to go really classic with a Dwarven Fighter :smallcool:

Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 18
Int: 14
Wis: 15
Cha: 13
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting & Monkey Grip
Weapons:
-1 Large Dwarven War Axe; Damage: 2D8 +3 ; Attack Bonus: +2
-1 Light Large Mace (Off Hand); Damage 1D8 +2 ; Attack Bonus: +2
-1 Light Crossbow; Damage 1D8; Attack Bonus: +4
-1 Dagger; Damage: 1D4 +3; Attack Bonus: +4
Armor: Studded Leather; Armor Bonus: +3
-Armor Spikes; Damage: 1D6
-Spiked Gauntlets; Damage: 1D4 +3

I'd love some feedback, thank you!!!

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-17, 09:01 AM
To start, just for a read, I'm going to drop you a link to the TWF Off-Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook). It's a great resource that can help you optimize your two weapon fighting capability because to be your most effective in combat you'll need to full attack.

So, I'm sure I'll get ninja'd but typically Monkey Grip is not really all that efficient. In this case, it does earn you a permanent +1 damage (from rolling 2 die instead of 1) but at a -2 attack. While the attack penalty won't be all that bad in the long run, you'll also be taking a -2 penalty for two weapon fighting for a total of -4 penalty just to two weapon fight with large weapons as a medium character.

In the sense of efficiency, it would be better to two weapon fight with a greatsword and either unarmed strikes or armor spikes. Unarmed strikes requires either a monk dip or a feat wheras armor spikes requires neither.

That being said, something I would suggest (if you're going to be bound to fighter for awhile) is that you look at the lightning mace style. You could two weapon fight with two light maces, and take weapon focus in light mace at first level getting you and effective -1 penalty for two weapon fighting and reducing the number of feats you need to take. Later, once you have lightning mace style, you should get both maces enchanted with Impact (I think... it increases the crit range of bludgeoning weapons) and as many additional damage carriers (like flaming, frost, shocking, sonic, etc) as you possibly can. Another feat that may be worth looking in to would be martial stance/maneuver to pick up blood in the water to increase your chance of critting the more you crit. This mixes well with Lightning mace style as you get an additional attack with your mace every time you crit. If you continue critting, you'll crit more ofthen. If you crit more often you'll deal more damge because you're dealing your normal weapon damage plus all your carrier damage.

If you are bound to the Dwarven Waraxe and Light Mace, I would still suggest against monkey grip because it's a trade of -2 attack for minimal additional average damage.

D&D
2017-08-01, 04:22 PM
Thank you for responding, sorry its taken so long to actually post back, planning a wedding and its eating up a lot of extra time.
Thank you for the TWF handbook, I will definitely give it a read.
From what me and my DM have discussed and decided upon was that Monkey grip would essentially allow me to wield a weapon size larger than I am. I'm not sure on the whole penalty thing since besides I had to eat up a feat for it.
I'm basically wanting to build my character for efficiency but also to a certain build I have in my head. I do want to eventually get the feat whirlwind attack, which has a stupid number of prerequisites.
I've actually never heard of the lighting mace style, I'll look it up and do some reading on it. I do plan on getting addition damage boosts like flaming, frost ect. Just have to get the money for it. :)

I basically want to build a fighter that at higher levels would actually have a chance against a wizard, war mage, sorcerer, ect.
I can say that right now at level 7 my last character the Drow Scout- Sniper Assassin with what I've got her wielded with and her spell resistance actually stands a chance of slaughtering the groups wizard, even going hand to hand with her.

To start, just for a read, I'm going to drop you a link to the TWF Off-Handbook. It's a great resource that can help you optimize your two weapon fighting capability because to be your most effective in combat you'll need to full attack.

So, I'm sure I'll get ninja'd but typically Monkey Grip is not really all that efficient. In this case, it does earn you a permanent +1 damage (from rolling 2 die instead of 1) but at a -2 attack. While the attack penalty won't be all that bad in the long run, you'll also be taking a -2 penalty for two weapon fighting for a total of -4 penalty just to two weapon fight with large weapons as a medium character.

In the sense of efficiency, it would be better to two weapon fight with a greatsword and either unarmed strikes or armor spikes. Unarmed strikes requires either a monk dip or a feat wheras armor spikes requires neither.

That being said, something I would suggest (if you're going to be bound to fighter for awhile) is that you look at the lightning mace style. You could two weapon fight with two light maces, and take weapon focus in light mace at first level getting you and effective -1 penalty for two weapon fighting and reducing the number of feats you need to take. Later, once you have lightning mace style, you should get both maces enchanted with Impact (I think... it increases the crit range of bludgeoning weapons) and as many additional damage carriers (like flaming, frost, shocking, sonic, etc) as you possibly can. Another feat that may be worth looking in to would be martial stance/maneuver to pick up blood in the water to increase your chance of critting the more you crit. This mixes well with Lightning mace style as you get an additional attack with your mace every time you crit. If you continue critting, you'll crit more ofthen. If you crit more often you'll deal more damge because you're dealing your normal weapon damage plus all your carrier damage.

If you are bound to the Dwarven Waraxe and Light Mace, I would still suggest against monkey grip because it's a trade of -2 attack for minimal additional average damage.