PDA

View Full Version : Bards on the Run

prufock
2017-07-17, 10:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/amcqEA4.gif

You pull the parchment out of your pouch once again, read it over, and look up at the sign hanging over the tavern door. Cut into the shape of a sea bird - appropriate to this port town - it has brightly painted blue feet, beak, and eyes. Taking a deep breath, you push the door open.

The scents of ale, roast meat, and potatoes waft over you, making your mouth water, even cut as they are by the sawdust spread on the floor and the sea water and sweat coming from the bodies of those seated around heavy wooden tables. Drowned out by the end-of-day chatter of the patrons, a lone musician sits on a small raised stage in the corner, playing out a familiar tune, "I Had a Hat." That must be the one you seek.

You notice a couple others carrying instruments, and you pull up a chair next to them to watch the performance, as you order an ale. When the musician finishes, largely ignored by the audience, he packs up his instrument and approaches the table. "I take it you're here about the ad?"

First one to post IC gets to take the role of the one who posted the ad. Please put out of character stuff in spoiler tags like this - we'll stick to one thread instead of having separate IC and OOC threads unless it becomes an issue.

Select a colour unique to your character for spoken text. Internal dialogue should be in the same colour and in italics.

Have fun! This will be a light-hearted game, so don't take it too seriously, just try to stay in character.

Syldar
2017-07-17, 01:58 PM
The man speaking couldn't stand out more if he tried. He wears a bright-red, wide brimmed hat with a large white feather as decoration; along with a similarly colored cape. He surveys the group a moment before continuing. Hm. I suppose they will do. My name is Sylvir, magician and harpist. And you three are...?

jakarta
2017-07-17, 04:33 PM
"I Hydo Coco. Dez my dums." answers the brawny half orc.

He plays a bit to demonstrate the drums he wears on a strap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-bTMbePj0A

AloneMonster
2017-07-17, 06:13 PM
"That's right," [ said a tired voice from somewhere around the others knees,

"The name's Dim, Breefwood if we're being formal. I understand your lookin to put a band together?"

JbeJ275
2017-07-17, 11:18 PM
And I am Jack. Master of the fiddle the rapier and the Dancefloor

The elf looks relaxed and at home in this port town, lazily leaned up against the wall with an opaque bottle of whisky clasped in his fist.

jakarta
2017-07-18, 12:10 PM
Sighvir mon, youz got gig fo us?
Paktis splace?

Syldar
2017-07-18, 12:19 PM
Paktis... splace? Apologies, but would you mind enunciating? I find it somewhat difficult to understand your accent.

So, the band's together... now what? Do we just set up a gig and go from there?

jakarta
2017-07-18, 12:28 PM
Minds whar de nuns ate? Sworry,
doe no dat un. Cin ya hum a fwo bars?

AloneMonster
2017-07-18, 01:35 PM
Hydo lat accenav iuk avoo avhick, avheausan saib'av julderukavand lat. De nuns ate meanuk ukpeak ma clearpak

I'm wondering that as well, the scroll was rather vague, exactly what have you prepared so far?

Hydo, your accent is too thick, they can't understand you. De nuns ate means speak more clearly.

Hydo's a half orc so he should have orc as one of his base known languages right? like I have common and gnome and whatnot.

jakarta
2017-07-18, 03:18 PM
aldflidfo aksdjfoaifja, oasdfoaid soaoja
luey luey?

None. His orcish is even more accented than his common.

Seeing the confused looks, he switches back to Common:
Do ya no Luey Luey? Wooly Bully?
.....Rubber Biskit?

AloneMonster
2017-07-18, 05:10 PM
I do know Rubber biscuit, a bard I knew once thought it'd be funny to play when he'd forgotten to bring rations. That's why I don't know him anymore. As for the other two I'm willing to learn just about anything if someone else is willing to teach it.

AloneMonster
2017-07-18, 05:29 PM
Dim begins to become a bit bored and idly takes out the harmonica to begin playing it while the conversation is lulling.

perform check: [roll0]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbfY-wY1I

Syldar
2017-07-18, 08:06 PM
Hm. Pretty good. Jake, why don't you play a tune of your own?

AloneMonster
2017-07-18, 10:29 PM
Dim continues playing for the most part and casts an eye around the Tavern, discerning whether the bar was named for a bird or its wenches, as well as trying to get an eye for its current clientele and workers.

Spot [roll0]

AloneMonster
2017-07-18, 10:31 PM
listen [roll0]

JbeJ275
2017-07-18, 11:08 PM
Hm. Pretty good. Jake, why don't you play a tune of your own?

Very well then, this is the tune to an old song for sailors and pirates alike

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJ7uOK4nYg

Perform Check [roll0]

jakarta
2017-07-19, 12:12 AM
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/03/07/science/07BOOBIESJP2/07BOOBIESJP2-articleLarge-v3.jpg

or

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3901/14725762425_90e9a90f75_b.jpg

AloneMonster
2017-07-19, 02:32 AM
OOC: I've seen worse uses of prestidigitation.

prufock
2017-07-19, 08:40 AM
The songs, while sounding fine on their own, don't really blend together well. You get some odd stares from the other patrons at the bar, and the proprietor approaches the table carrying an ale and wearing a tight-lipped grimace. I'm gonnar need ye all tae keep et down o'er here. Sommar me guests is startin' tae complain. He turns to Sylvir in particular and tells him I told ye I'd givar one more chance, but I afear I cannae pay ye today. This crowd don' seem to appreciate yer fine 'arp-work like I do. I've aksed another bard to take up the supper shift. Sorry. 'Ave a drink on the 'ouse. He sets the flagon on the table in front of you.

Again, guys, please put die rolls and other out of character stuff inside a spoiler tag to keep the IC narrative clean. There's a "spoil" button in the toolbar, or you can just type [ spoiler] to open and [ /spoiler] to close the tags (without the spaces).

Glancing around the tavern, Dim can see that the buxom wenches all have a similar look - curvy, with curly dark hair and blue eyes. They all wear a standard outfit consisting of a grey apron with a stitched bird silhouette to match the sign outside worn over a white skirt and black blouse. The most noticeable trait, however, are the bright blue boots that they all wear. Each has adorned her outfit with some cheap costume jewelry for personal flair.

You overhear snippets of conversation regarding some interesting news. Pirate ship spotted outside the bay. Rumours of a freight ship lost to a whirlpool. A fisherman with a bumper catch who won't tell what grounds he pulled it from. Various disputes about berths. Predictions of a storm coming. Town gossip.

Syldar
2017-07-19, 09:26 AM
Wait, what? You can't do that, I just got some backu- I mean, partners! He seems to realize how desperate he sounds, takes a deep breath, and composes himself. Maybe you can give me just one more chance. If it doesn't go well, then fine. I won't ask again. But I think adding a few more instruments to the mix is exactly what this act needs.

[roll0]

AloneMonster
2017-07-19, 10:59 PM
upon successfull perform +4 from masterwork harmonica performance buff for listeners for 1d6 hours, not calculating since its been less than a minute , and attitude shifts by one category in performers favor upon listening. All of this negated if the listener was not of "humble station"

[roll0]

forgot to add +3 from charisma bonus on diplomacy skill so

Dim Breefwood beckons one of the Wenches over trying to get their attention. "This seems to be quite the busy town. I heard talk of pirates at the coast. do you know anything about these rumors?"

jakarta
2017-07-20, 04:11 AM
Hydro goes over to the posting board and checks for notices of weddings, birthday parties, barmitzas...

wat da tag sed.

prufock
2017-07-20, 07:34 AM
[roll0]

The tavern owner runs a hand through his hair and sighs. Well... I like ye Sylvir, ye know I'm a fan. I'm mostly booked up for th' week, but I have a marnin' slot on Wed'sday... not a great spot, but aless someone else cancels, it's all I have for nae. Do a good job there, and I'll book ye for a better time next week. But ye'll need to bring in some customers. Mid-marnin' is a bit of a dead time here. I'll keep me ear out for any better gigs for ye though.

The wench gives Dim a warm smile. Oh, that's just sailor talk. You know how they are. She winks. They're saying the Red Hand was spotted outside the bay, around Blackview Point. Knowing the stories these guys tell, it was probably just a dead tree floating out there.

Hydro gets up and walks over to the job posting board. He stares hard at the board for a long time, trying to decipher the words. He manages to figure out that there are ads for some other bards playing gigs, such as the Harvesters and Factotum. There are also postings for labour jobs (mostly hauling fish), adventurers needed (to guard a wagon), and one posting for an animal shelter looking for performers for a fundraiser.

jakarta
2017-07-20, 08:09 AM
We're on a mission from Dog.

Hey, guys. Here's sa gig.

He points at the animal shelter ad.

Syldar
2017-07-20, 09:43 AM
The tavern owner runs a hand through his hair and sighs. Well... I like you Sylvir, you know I'm a fan. I'm mostly booked up for the week, but I have a morning slot on Wednesday... not a great spot, but unless someone else cancels, it's all I have for now. Do a good job there, and I'll book you for a better time next week. But you'll need to bring in some customers. Mid-morning is a bit of a dead time here. I'll keep my ear out for any better gigs for you though.

Many thanks. You will not be disappointed.

Hey, guys. Here's sa gig.

He points at the animal shelter ad.

He gets up and walks over to Hydro. Hm... well, it's something. When is it?

prufock
2017-07-20, 12:55 PM
"Animal shelter" may have been a generous description. The full text of the posting reads:

Humanoid Advocates for the Rights of Monsters
seeks entertainment for a fundraiser
to be held in Fisher's Field
at NOON
on the 13th day of Sowfest

Apply at charity headquarters
town square of Shanty Bay
between sunup and sundown

For reference, today is the 11th of Sowfest, so the fundraiser is in 2 days. Your morning gig at the Blue Booby is in 4 days.

jakarta
2017-07-20, 01:04 PM
hmmm....we shud chek et out.

and mayba day need openers. He points to the adverts for the other bands.

What day is 'Sunday' for the local religions? Playing at or after church can build up a following.

AloneMonster
2017-07-20, 08:24 PM
[roll0]

The wench gives Dim a warm smile. Oh, that's just sailor talk. You know how they are. She winks. They're saying the Red Hand was spotted outside the bay, around Blackview Point. Knowing the stories these guys tell, it was probably just a dead tree floating out there.

[roll0]

"I see, not much of a surprise then. I was on a boat once. During the middle of the voyage half of the sailors claimed they'd seen an island of mermaids, and jumped into the sea. Turns out it was a coven of sea hags, granted the sea hags enjoyed the company none the less.

You're very insightful, having someone like you around to show us the city would be a blessing, if you weren't on shift of course. By the way, what can you tell me about the harp player, Sylvir, it seems that he and the manager have a history, and if I heard their conversation correctly, most of the clientele don't enjoy harp in the first place, music do people like around here anyway?

prufock
2017-07-21, 09:55 AM
I'm running this in my homebrew game world, where the numbers 3 and 9 are particularly important.

Each year has 9 months, with 3 weeks per month, and 9 days per week, for a total of 27 days per month, 243 days per year. The last day day of each week (9th, 18th, and 27th of each month) is Nondsday, when the peasants take it a bit easier and use their time to go to market and so on. The third of each week Godsday, a day devoted largely to worship. Special festivals (generally one per month) usually take place on the 6th day of any given week, usually one devoted to each of the 9 gods.

A day has 18 hours - "Noon" is hour 9. Yeah it's a bit wacky, but don't worry too much about it. Most common folk don't use clocks, they use "mid-morning" for example, or set their time by the breakfast, lunch, and supper bells. Temples use various instruments to toll out worship times on Godsday.

You are currently on the 11th day (I miscalculated when I said 10th) of the month of Sowfest, a springtime month when the planting is done and many animals are birthed. The fundraiser is on the 13th, and the Blue Booby gig is on the 15th.

I'll keep track of the dates, so you don't have to learn all this stuff! I did not realize the calendar would be so important!

The Harvesters gig is being held at Noon on the Nondusday, the 18th day of Sowfest, in the market square.

Factotum is performing at a slightly seedy bar known as the Salty Dog, near the docks, at supper on the 14th (3 days from now).

Dim

The serving girl laughs at your story and lightly grazes your arm with her non-serving hand. And after a few months at sea, no doubt the sailors enjoyed the company of the hags as well! She mulls over your question. Not from around her, hey love? Sorry, I'll be working 'til closing time. As for Treyvor, he's a more gentle soul than his language would tell. He likes the harp, but it's a bit... subdued for a place like this. They'd rather rollicking sea chanties.

jakarta
2017-07-21, 10:02 AM
Are we using in-campaign 'days' for purposes of healing, recovery, and crafting?

Are our ages accelerated? or are we using 'real world' years for that?

Any religions like harp music?(know religion needed?) I suppose steel drum qualify as 'soft music' like the harp? [/S]

prufock
2017-07-21, 01:24 PM
Are we using in-campaign 'days' for purposes of healing, recovery, and crafting?

Are our ages accelerated? or are we using 'real world' years for that?

Any religions like harp music?(know religion needed?) I suppose steel drum qualify as 'soft music' like the harp? [/S]

Everything is calibrated to work relative to the altered calendar. If you're 17 years old in this game, you are as developed as a 17-year-old in "real world" (24 hr days, 365 days/year), even though if you calculated it out to the hour it would come out to about eight and a half. In other words, don't worry about conversions. The only thing that's really affected by the altered calendar are abilities that last days, weeks, months, or years, in which case it means relative to the 9x3x9 calendar. Anything that is measured as 24 hours instead means 18 hours.

No need for a check. You know the temples of both the Lady of Light and the Fulcrum sometimes include harpists.

jakarta
2017-07-21, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbq0OuJtErs

Let's see ef we ca p'form at de Lady o lite dimple. Yew gat da harp.

AloneMonster
2017-07-21, 10:31 PM
Dim

The serving girl laughs at your story and lightly grazes your arm with her non-serving hand. And after a few months at sea, no doubt the sailors enjoyed the company of the hags as well! She mulls over your question. Not from around her, hey love? Sorry, I'll be working 'til closing time. As for Treyvor, he's a more gentle soul than his language would tell. He likes the harp, but it's a bit... subdued for a place like this. They'd rather rollicking sea chanties.

I see, a bard's rule of thumb is that after a hard days labor what people enjoy most in the world isn't the gentle caress of dulcet tones but the ecstasy of joy and excitement, and if there's anything a good bard knows it's how to make their audience feel excite." Dim keeps an eye and an ear on the conversation that Hydo and the other's are having.

So a pirate ship at the coast by the name of Red Hand, a meeting of people who go out of the way to describe themselves as humanoid, and a bar owner infatuated with the classics who styled their entire restaurant off of a bird. This is definitely an interesting town. All the more reason to gain allies anywhere possible.

" Although judging from his staff its easy to tell that Trevor has quite the refined tastes at least when it comes to music and charming women. When is closing time by the way, beauty with no name?"

[roll0]

prufock
2017-07-24, 07:02 AM
The barmaid smiles. The name's Elandria, and my work day ends when the last paying customer leaves. She gives a little mock sigh. Now, what can I get you? Another ale? How about the rest of you?

No need to keep rolling, she's already friendly to you.

jakarta
2017-07-24, 07:42 AM
Hydro approaches with the notice for the shelter fundraiser.

Wat kin yew dell us bout dez 'ad vo cats'?

prufock
2017-07-24, 01:35 PM
Cats...? Elandria stares at Hydro for a long moment, obviously confused. Then her eyes focus on the flyer in his hand. Ohhhhhh. Well,
they think that monsters deserve to be treated humanely. They arrange protests and petition the town council and raise money to support monster release programs and stuff like that.

A voice rises over the crowd from across the room. Are you talkin' 'bout H.A.R.M.? Those bastards. They did this to me! Across the room you see a dwarf stand up and turn. Half his face (including the beard) is made of stone. As he speaks, only the right half moves. I'd caught a live cockatrice. LIVE! I had it securely bound and hooded, and all set to sell to the meister's guild, when they rushed us and tried to "liberate" it. The meister got the worst of it. I got off lucky, if you want to call it that. He walks across the tavern floor, limping with a THUNK-shhhh, THUNK-shhhh, his one stone leg an obvious burden.

Town guards ended up having to kill the cursed thing anyway, but not before it got three of them. The attackers were wearing masks, so we don't know exactly who they were, but I know they were with those monster rights hippies. You ask me, they should be driven out of town. If I were you, I'd stay away from them! He turns to the barmaid. Now my dear, can I get another ale, and perhaps some of that mutton?

With a smile and a curtsy, Elandria scoots off to see to his order.

jakarta
2017-07-24, 01:45 PM
Hydo seems impressed and confused.

Howd yew cacha cockatwice?[/COLOR] he asked the dwarf.

AloneMonster
2017-07-24, 04:06 PM
"Why hasn't anyone killed them yet. If what the dwarf says is true they're an obvious hazard to the livelihood of the people, who are too self righteous to consider that they have no idea what they are talking about, who will most likely kill all of us by trying to give Mind Flayers housing rights."

prufock
2017-07-25, 11:48 AM
Ya know the dwarf says, pulling a seat up to your table, catching a live cockatrice is a bit of a trick. The secret is... trained weasels.
For real. It's a little-known fact that weasels are immune to the glare of a cockatrice. He goes on to recount the whole experience, from how he trains his own weasels to the hunt itself.

No one has killed them yet because there are laws against that sort of thing. But you know, you guys playing at their fundraiser would present a unique opportunity. How do you feel about... sabotage?

JbeJ275
2017-07-25, 12:38 PM
The blighters sound like idiots but I don't like dealing with idiots at all unless there's something it gets me.

Syldar
2017-07-25, 02:55 PM
Sabatoge? I doubt anyone else will hire us if something happens to our first patron the day we perform. There needs to be some VERY good incentive for me to even consider it.

prufock
2017-07-26, 08:28 AM
Well then he says, rising from his seat, I guess we're done here. If you change your mind, you can find me here in the evenings.
I can't offer you much in the way of payment, but I DO have some friends in the meister's guild who may be able to exchange a favour.... Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get plastered and try to forget that I'm half the man I used to be.

With that, he hobbles back to his table.

jakarta
2017-07-27, 01:56 PM
Whar we gonna mit for prak ice tomarwa?

Ima going to de dimple o lite. Anyun wanna come long?

Syldar
2017-07-27, 05:51 PM
I shall accompany you. An eloquent speaker would be welcome for first impressions.

jakarta
2017-07-28, 01:10 PM
'Al'ight

We head towards the door..

Any street encounters on the way to the temple? Where is the temple?

I'm intending to sit though a service, joining in with music when it seems appropriate. Talk to the priest after.

What is the sermon?

AloneMonster
2017-07-28, 03:27 PM
"I'm heading to the docks then, I"m going to see if I can gather any more information about HARM or red hand, if their a good gig we might as well take them. Where are we all meeting afterwards?"

Alright if I head to the docks I should be able to use the communicate with animal skill to gather information from ship rats and seagulls right? that should let me see if there really is a Red Hand pirate ship off the coast.

prufock
2017-07-31, 12:07 PM
The Temple of Light

Hydro, Jack, and Sylvir head up the hill toward the Temple of Light. The streets lanterns are being lit in advance of the falling dark. With the work day mostly done, and supper finishing up, men mill about chatting about the events of the day, women chase children home to put them to bed, and lovers slip off to find romantic secluded nooks. A lilting tune can be heard drifting down from the temple doors as you approach.

The temple is not overly busy at this time. There are a few parishioners walking from place to place, or sitting talking in reverent tones, or kneeling in supplication before an ornate brazier. The brazier burns with a warm, smokeless flame, bathing the hall in a gentle light. In the corner sits a woman playing an unusual-looking instrument - similar to a spinning wheel, decorated in the style of a sun, with strings making up the spokes. As she plucks the strings, she spins the wheel with a pedal at her foot, giving the music a haunting vibrato.

There is no official service taking place at the moment. The lady playing the strange instruments lets her final note ring out, stops the wheel, and steps away to say some prayers.

The Docks

It's a short walk from the Booby down to the dockyard, and Dim makes good time as he passes many a sea-dog on his way to wet his whistle after a hard day's drinking. When he reaches the wharves, he begins asking around about the pirates and H.A.R.M. Opinions on both are generally negative; of course there is the scattered man who sympathizes with monster rights, and a few who seem to think the life of a pirate "awful romantical."

The Red Hand, you learn, is the flagship of the Red Fleet, captained by Sheamus Breakwater, an ugly man with an uglier reputation. What he could be doing around here no one knows. Some don't believe the rumours, or think that he's just passing by.

Asking around among the rats of one of the ships that claimed to spot the Red Hand, however, reveals that there was indeed a ship with red sails somewhere outside the harbour. Soooooo... got any food? The rats clamour around Dim at the mention of food.

jakarta
2017-07-31, 12:16 PM
Hydo moves to about 10 ft from the instrument and looks it over from a respectful distance.

When she is finished praying and returns he will ask her about it.

Syldar
2017-07-31, 02:42 PM
Sylvir waits until she's done praying before speaking. That was lovely music you were playing. What do you call that instrument?

AloneMonster
2017-08-01, 08:31 PM
in an alley small swarm of rats writhed over each other in front of a tired looking gnome sitting on top of a small oaken barrel as they constantly chittered about food.

That's the problem with city animals, they swarm here because the predators are scarce but there's barely enough food in the open to keep them alive.

"On me no, but I will be somewhere very soon where I can find mountains of it. Humans are a very wasteful race, they'd rather throw away their bones than suck the marrow from them or boil them down into a stock. There are many of them in the place I perform now, if you continue to help me, I can convince them to give to you what they leave behind without the fear of poison or hunting.

Although, haven't you always wondered where the larger ones get their food? How they seem to have a constant supply of it without foraging. I know the secret, and if you continue to help me I'll share it with you. Where I'm from I have not been in a long time, but the gnomes there have shared this secret with the animals of the forest and been the better for it."

While he's speaking Dim is fiddling with his quarterstaff and a dirty discarded rope from the docs.

prufock
2017-08-03, 08:55 AM
The Temple of Light

When the woman finishes her prayers, Hydro approaches an mumbles something barely intelligible about a "pretty wheel." She gives him a smile - gentle but uncomprehending. Luckily, Sylvir slides up to inquire about the instrument.

Thank you for the compliment, kind sir. This is a wheelharp, of my own design. It has taken me many years to master it, but the effect it creates is unique. She gives the pedal a push to make the wheel spin, and plucks out a quick chord. It was enough to impress the Illuminor, and I've been blessed enough to perform for the Temple of Light since the Newsun day.

The Docks

The rats scurry about in excitement. Yes! We helps, you feeds! Many brother-sons and sister-daughters hungry!

jakarta
2017-08-09, 11:50 AM
How often do you perform? Are there other spots, or do you have the honor of all of them?

prufock
2017-08-11, 06:44 AM
The woman smiles. Even the very pious must take breaks! I am sure the Illuminor would hear your music. There is always room for those who are sincere in their faith. Ah, there he is now!

A man in gold-and-white robes enters through a side door. He is dressed immaculately, in a shining golden crown in the style of flame. He carries with him a glowing sunrod in one hand and a lit torch in the other. Approaching the altar he slides them to into slots on either side of the mirrored sculpture that sits on top. The lights bounce around inside the sculpture, and it begins to glow, lighting the inside of the temple as though it were daylight. He says a quick prayer and turns to the musician, spying you and approaching.

Good even, children. May Her radiance shine upon your faces evermore.

jakarta
2017-08-11, 10:23 AM
Iz der ah leeson doday?

Syldar
2017-08-11, 10:23 AM
Good evening to you as well, Illuminor. We came here to ask if we could perform for your temple. I believe it would benefit us both.

[roll0]

prufock
2017-08-14, 01:36 PM
The Illuminor smiles on you. Well, we are always looking for dedicated volunteers to grace the church with their gifts, whether musical or otherwise. Are you each interested or are you a group? He asks each of your names, and invites you into his private chamber for an audition and interview. After showing you in, he takes a seat in a high chair behind an ornate wooden desk.

So why do you want to play for the Temple of Light?

jakarta
2017-08-14, 01:45 PM
Nice place, nice crowd. Me drums are the quiet type.
(Starts wordlessly playing 'You are my sunshine')

Syldar
2017-08-14, 03:40 PM
You seem to be the type who would appreciate a harp, unlike the rest of this place, and playing for a temple would grant us much more exposure.

prufock
2017-08-16, 12:44 PM
The Illuminor gestures with his hand and says Well please, let's hear what you can do! He sits back in his chair and folds his hands across his chest.

Syldar
2017-08-16, 03:06 PM
Sylvir simply begins playing... Day to night, dark to light... ("https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7IM_mf-R_Y)

[roll0] Would use lore song, but I'd rather not cheat in front of this guy.

jakarta
2017-08-20, 03:21 PM
Hydo picks up on the end of Sylvir's song and improvises a steel drum cover.

perform: [roll0]

jakarta
2017-08-20, 03:23 PM
(let's try rolling the right die...[roll0])

JbeJ275
2017-08-22, 10:49 AM
Jack takes on the melody of the song as Hydro continues the beat,

[roll0]

prufock
2017-08-24, 09:46 AM
The Temple of Light

The Illuminor leans back in his chair, fingers steepled, smiling as you play the tune through. As the final notes fade away, reverberating inside the chamber, he leans forward. Not bad. Not bad at all. You could use some polish, of course, really nail down those transitions, but I feel you would be a welcome addition to our congregation! He stands and walks to a cabinet at the side of his office, pulling out some parchment.

Here is a list of pre-approved melodies for the temple. Of course, if you have others that you wish to play which aren't on the list, they would need to be approved as well. He hands over a sheet of the parchment. If there are songs there that you do not know, we will provide the sheet music so that you can learn them. We prefer if you do not use the written works during performances, however.

He leads you out into the atrium again. I will give you a few days to practice. Would 3 days be time enough? You could have the afternoon slot for a trial period, every 3 days. We'll have the proper vestments for you to change into, those traveling clothes don't really give off the aura we want to project here at the temple.

Raising his hands, he says a small prayer in a language you do not understand. His hands become awash with a faint yellow light, and he touches each of you on top of the head. May the Lady always light your path. With that, he nods goodbye and walks back to his office, closing the door.

The Docks

As Dim and his newfound rat companion talk and walk along the dock, he overhears some off-key singing and fiddling coming from an alleyway. Glancing in, he sees some men, obviously intoxicated, gambling at coin flips. One of them raises his voice. That's NINE in a ROW! I think you're cheatin'. I don' know 'ow, but ya gotta be cheatin' somehows. The man who has been doing the coin flipping challenges him. You've inspected the coin, it's not rigged, I'm just on a lucky streak! I tell you what, I'll give 10 to 1 odds, and I'll let you pick which side turns up! The angry man considers for a moment. Ten to one, hey? That'd let me win back everyt'ing I lost. YER ON!

The man with the coin catches Dim's eye from his place in the alley, and winks.

AloneMonster
2017-08-24, 12:17 PM
Always willing to observe a new scam, Dim approaches the group, stopping a bit a ways so as not to disturb them, and watches silently.

AloneMonster
2017-08-24, 02:26 PM
[roll0] ten obligatory characters

jakarta
2017-08-24, 03:03 PM
Hydro asks around the temple for a healer.

prufock
2017-08-30, 07:07 AM
The Temple of the Lady of Light

It takes very little time for Hydro to find a healer at the temple. This is the Temple of Light, of course we have healers! What ails you?

The Docks

The challenger calls "tails," and the other man throws the coin straight up. Dim watches as the coin flips in the air, turning, twisting, the light catching the edge and causing it to shimmer. Your rat friend perks up, Oooh, shiny! and scurries into the alley.

Dim notices, as the coin turns at its apex, the face of the coin appears to shift from tails to heads!

As the coin lands, face up, the challenger's eyes widen, and his face turns red and veined. He pushes the winner up against the alley wall. You blasted cheat! How are ya doing it!? He pulls back and begins to drive punches into the winner's stomach. Coins of silver, copper, and even a few gold drop out of his pouch as the spectators begin sweeping them up.

jakarta
2017-08-30, 01:48 PM
Hydo tries to explain about having a little friend who is only half hard and wonders if there is any medicine that can cure him.

AloneMonster
2017-08-30, 03:50 PM
"Is that any way to treat someone after a friendly wager?"

The sound of snapping fingers echoes through the alley and the coins littering the ground trembling before flying to the far end of the alley as if blown by a fierce wind before the bystanders can reach them. In a glittering whirlpool they all settle into a neat stack next to Dim, who is leaning against the alley wall fiddling with one absent mindedly.

"What seems to be the problem?"

That's one use of prestidigitation used before speaking in order to use the gather effect described in Tome and blood,
as well as a few other magical effects I may have to use in the next hour to bluff my way out of being murdered by an angry mob.

prufock
2017-09-06, 01:52 PM
The Temple of the Lady of Light

The healer looks a little taken aback. He blushes. Well, ah, we don't really deal with that sort of thing here. You may find more luck at a herbalist... or maybe a brothel.
I believe you can find both down by the docks.

As the spin-harpist, having finished her break, starts her wheel and moves into a new piece, her eyes roll back and she suddenly falls onto the floor, tipping her instrument in a crash. She begins convulsing, speaking in what appears to be gibberish! After a few moments, the phrase repeats, then again, then again. The healer Hydro had been speaking to rushes to his aid, but his wide eyes betray that he has no idea how to help him.

Make an intelligence check (DC 15) if you'd like to discern what she's saying.

The Docks

The attacker appears unaware of the movement of the coins, though his buddies look around them at the movement with some anxiousness. The aggressor picks up a broken bottle and lobs it in Dim's general direction. This ain't none a' yer business! he yells, eyebrows drawn down in a threatening grimace. One of his buddies, watching the coins, taps him on the shoulder. Uh, Ronn...? I don't think we oughta mess with this guy. The others are backing away.

Ronn's attack against Dim: [roll0] (+2 Str, -4 improvised weapon, +0 BAB)
Damage if it hits: [roll1]
Initiative roll: [roll2]

jakarta
2017-09-13, 03:39 PM
[roll0]

Arh yew ahl-ite?

prufock
2017-09-21, 12:30 PM
Hydo's question is met with only garbled gibberish, not resembling the common tongue. The healer holds back the harpist's head by grasping her chin, squeezing the jaw to open her mouth. He presses some sort of substance underneath her tongue, and steps back. The convulsions slowly subside, and the woman sleeps. However, even in her sleep she mutters strange words.