PDA

View Full Version : Ghostwise Assassin: Miniature Riddick

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 10:41 AM
Simple build I thought would be a lot of fun: building a miniature version of everyone's favorite one-liner-spouting overpowered killer.

Race: Ghostwise Halfling - The usual racial boosts of lucky and fear resistance work well for the concept. But ghostwise nets us the ability to telepathically communicate out to 30 feet. This lets us talk with foes without revealing our position. Good way to mess with people's heads. This is a good way to mimic Riddick's ability to talk (in one-liners) without revealing his position.
Background: Criminal (Hired Killer) obviously.
Class: Rogue (assassin) obviously.
Feats: Skulker, Alert - a halfling rogue can easily afford two.
Required item: Goggles of Night - you need to find some way to get these. They're too iconic to lose, and work well with an assassin rogue besides. Dark vision out to 60 feet and that sweet fashion sense. Can't give em up. If you absolutely can't get these, consider dipping warlock 2 for devil's sight and the ability to turn invisible in dim light. Hex will also make you harder to see if you Hex their wisdom.

Make heavy use of stealth, thrown daggers, and poison. Assassins are good with all of these, and we took skulker for a reason.

This build will excel at night, alone, and against large numbers of weaker enemies. Pick them off with thrown daggers, and they'll have trouble even finding miniature Riddick. Use telepathic communication to throw them off. You can combine this with deception expertise to convince them you're hiding somewhere that you aren't.

Consider multiclassing after about level 7-9. Remember, miniature Riddick is an assassin first and foremost, but he's pretty handy in a fight too. Revised ranger (hunter) and fighter (BM) are both excellent choices for the build. A single level in revised ranger in particular yields a lot of benefits including advantage on initiative rolls and favored enemy: humanoid.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 11:00 AM
The thing with Hex is that you're likely to reveal your position when you cast it. Hexing wisdom seems like a daft thing to do unless you've got Subtle Spell. You're giving them a chance to pinpoint your position in exchange for trying to make your more difficult to locate? Seems a bit daft.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-17, 11:09 AM
I certainly applaud the concept and the execution, I can't help but think that a Svirfneblin might be a good fit for this as well. The men are naturally bald, they can get a feat to prevent people from finding them, and have natural camoflage (at least in rocky terrain). Also, they get superior darkvision for 120' of lethality in the dark. Get those goggles of night, and this would increase to 180'!

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 11:11 AM
The thing with Hex is that you're likely to reveal your position when you cast it. Hexing wisdom seems like a daft thing to do unless you've got Subtle Spell. You're giving them a chance to pinpoint your position in exchange for trying to make your more difficult to locate? Seems a bit daft.

Hide after casting. There's nothing saying you can't do that in combat, just step around a corner first.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 11:13 AM
They're aware of where you are the moment you cast. Sure, you can hide again, but they're aware of where you are, and can move towards you. I appreciate where you're going, but why make them aware of you, only to hide again, when you can just, you know, stay hidden?

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 11:25 AM
They're aware of where you are the moment you cast. Sure, you can hide again, but they're aware of where you are, and can move towards you. I appreciate where you're going, but why make them aware of you, only to hide again, when you can just, you know, stay hidden?

Like I said, it's a backup. But I'm sure a clever player can think of lots of ways to avoid being heard from up to 90 feet away.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 11:29 AM
Nice backhanded insult.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 11:32 AM
Nice backhanded insult.

I didn't indend it to be. It's a common assumption that a caster casting a spell is automatically revealed. But there are a lot of things that might drown out the sound of someone speaking at a distance.

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 11:40 AM
I hope this is a Str-based Rogue build, perhaps with some levels in Barbarian or Monk for unarmored defense. ;)

Definitely needs Tavern Brawler for improvised weapons and an accommodating DM to allow such weapons to be used for sneak attacks.

Some Warlock levels would be a nice way to represent his odd heritage / powers.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 12:22 PM
It's a common assumption that a caster casting a spell is automatically revealed. But there are a lot of things that might drown out the sound of someone speaking at a distance.

Why are you Hexing someone to make yourself more difficult to locate, though, risking being discovered, when you could just stay hidden? It's like being on splinter cell and shooting out a light so people know you're there. Just cast silence instead.

You could always refluff Warlock levels, and give him Devil's Sight; after all, he can see in the dark without the goggles. Silence and/or Darkness.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 12:32 PM
Why are you Hexing someone to make yourself more difficult to locate, though, risking being discovered, when you could just stay hidden? It's like being on splinter cell and shooting out a light so people know you're there. Just cast silence instead.

You could always refluff Warlock levels, and give him Devil's Sight; after all, he can see in the dark without the goggles. Silence and/or Darkness.

Again, backup strategy. I'd rather not use warlock at all for the build.

That said, hex as bonus action followed by an attack will arguably happen too fast to reveal you immediately. Next turn, run away and hide if you're alone. Afterward, repeat attack + bonus action hide (or invisible with invocation) each round, as needed.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-17, 12:38 PM
How are you going to handle the light sensitivity that he's got going on?

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 12:44 PM
How are you going to handle the light sensitivity that he's got going on?
Not the OP, but I would probably do it through role-play.

With an accommodating DM, you could add the Sunlight Sensitivity trait to your character, perhaps in exchange for Darkvision.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 12:52 PM
Not the OP, but I would probably do it through role-play.

With an accommodating DM, you could add the Sunlight Sensitivity trait to your character, perhaps in exchange for Darkvision.

That's one method. However, Riddick only displayed that sensitivity in Pitch Black. They seem to have abandoned the concept, as it hasn't made an appearance in subsequent movies. He's basically got cat eyes at this point.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 12:53 PM
Again, backup strategy. I'd rather not use warlock at all for the build.

That said, hex as bonus action followed by an attack will arguably happen too fast to reveal you immediately. Next turn, run away and hide if you're alone. Afterward, repeat attack + bonus action hide (or invisible with invocation) each round, as needed.

You are instantly revealed the moment you hit or miss with an attack. And you give up your Bonus Action Hide or Action hide, and they know that you're there (you know, because you've thrown a dagger at them).

strangebloke
2017-07-17, 12:57 PM
I certainly applaud the concept and the execution, I can't help but think that a Svirfneblin might be a good fit for this as well. The men are naturally bald, they can get a feat to prevent people from finding them, and have natural camoflage (at least in rocky terrain). Also, they get superior darkvision for 120' of lethality in the dark. Get those goggles of night, and this would increase to 180'!

Also, advantage against mental spells. (Riddick is notoriously resilient to mind whammy)

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 12:59 PM
You are instantly revealed the moment you hit or miss with an attack. And you give up your Bonus Action Hide or Action hide, and they know that you're there (you know, because you've thrown a dagger at them).

More than half of the posts in this thread concern a backup strategy that I already regret even mentioning, not because it's invalid but because you won't let it drop. I invite you to take it to PMs if it bothers you that much.

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 01:19 PM
That's one method. However, Riddick only displayed that sensitivity in Pitch Black. They seem to have abandoned the concept, as it hasn't made an appearance in subsequent movies. He's basically got cat eyes at this point.
That's a good point.

Rogue 15 seems a little late to get Wisdom save proficiency for this character - would you consider Resilient (Wis)?

How about some Monk levels? Riddick is pretty handy with or without weapons, he's quick, doesn't really wear armor, and if you went Way of Shadow the Shadow Step ability could be pretty flavorful for some of the shenanigans he likes to pull.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-17, 01:30 PM
How about some Deepstalker Revised Ranger, it comes with improved darkvision, and in the first round of combat it hits Hard.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-17, 01:34 PM

Well, the later movies basically all took place in the dark just to avoid this issue. At least the second one did, and the one part where he entered the sunlight you could see it affecting him (of course, this was also because it got very hot very quickly).

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 02:05 PM
Well, the later movies basically all took place in the dark just to avoid this issue. At least the second one did, and the one part where he entered the sunlight you could see it affecting him (of course, this was also because it got very hot very quickly).

Yeah, but he also managed to swoop down, grab someone, and bungee back up on a non-bungee rope in the sun. He may still have that sunlight sensitivity, but it doesn't actually cause any hardship on his part. He doesn't lose a fight because of it or anything like that after the first movie.

Monk and Deepstalker Ranger are both options. That said, I'm trying to keep as many rogue levels on the character as possible. Additionally, Riddick doesn't seem to run out of resources like a monk does. He also doesn't seem the type to meditate.

Regarding improvised weapons and sneak attack, that'd be a must if it was allowed. Riddick seems to prefer blades, though. Maybe give little Riddick athletics expertise so he can win grapples with alien creatures before saying they did not know who they were flumphing with.

Speaking of which, I forgot about animal handling. Riddick needs that, as per the second and third movies which both involve him taming some large beast. After all, "It's an animal thing." Good thing ghostwise adds to wisdom.

For wisdom saves, I've seen him make one save that involved having his soul ripped out. That could be anything from wisdom to charisma to constitution. Let's just say it was a fear save-or-die effect, having the soul scared out of you, and that halfling brave would apply =D.

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 02:15 PM
Additionally, Riddick doesn't seem to run out of resources like a monk does. He also doesn't seem the type to meditate.
I dunno, he always seems to have an awful lot of quiet time, especially in the first movie, whether locked up or just chilling calmly. He doesn't have to be the sits-in-lotus-ohming type of Monk, and honestly I'd probably ignore all of the class-related fluff anyway - I'm going from a pure mechanics point of view.

I think a case could also be made for short-rest abilities like the Monk's ki, depending on the length of rests the DM is using.

It's always tough to recreate movie and literature heroes as they tend to be extremely awesome at so many things. For Riddick, I would think 5-9/10 levels of rogue would be plenty to account for his stealth-based abilities.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 02:19 PM
For Riddick, I would think 5-9/10 levels of rogue would be plenty to account for his stealth-based abilities.

Unquestionably. And he almost certainly has extra attack, which is why I suggested fighter. That said, barbarian would work quite well on a strength version of the character. If I was going variant human and not halfling, I'd go for that. Barbarian rogue fits the movie version of the character quite well.

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 02:31 PM
Unquestionably. And he almost certainly has extra attack, which is why I suggested fighter. That said, barbarian would work quite well on a strength version of the character. If I was going variant human and not halfling, I'd go for that. Barbarian rogue fits the movie version of the character quite well.
Definitely. Barb/Rog is a solid combo with Reckless Attack + Sneak Attack, especially if you branch into Barb earlier rather than later.

Regardless of race, you'll probably be waiting a long time for Extra Attack - part of the reason I liked Monk is because of the built-in multiple attacks. Nothing you can't replicate fairly well with a little TWF until Extra Attack comes online, though.

Fighter would be good, too - I'd probably go either 3, 5, or 11 levels. The Champion's expanded crit range would be sweet, especially if you can manage multiple attacks per round AND high sneak attack damage.

Theodoxus
2017-07-17, 02:51 PM
One thing to consider though - movie health <> D&D health. Having a single sneak attack die would kill all but the hardiest of BBEG villain types... While replicating the same insta-kill style in game would require pretty high levels of sneak, it all depends on what you can convince your DM to do.

Me, I'd prefer a game with fewer HPs - maybe not so low as Savage Worlds, but probably not more than 40 at the upper echelons. While combat in 5E is faster, after level 8 or so, it still devolves into a WoW Raid type slogfest of blasting through hundreds of HP - either on a couple of critters, or spread out on a dozen or so "underlings". Since DPR doesn't scale as quickly as HP, it just means things take longer to kill as you increase your level.

My primary point is, Riddick is so awesome simply because he's a Rogue 5/Ranger 3/Monk 2 in a game system where the average mook is level 2 at best and the non-human monsters he faces are CR 4.

Even the Necromonger leader was probably level 6 at best. Riddick is basically on god-mode.

mephnick
2017-07-17, 02:53 PM
Little nitpick. Riddick naturally has darkvision, the goggles are to protect from bright light.

Theodoxus
2017-07-17, 02:58 PM
Little nitpick. Riddick unnaturally has darkvision, the goggles are to protect from bright light.

FTFY - his eyes were modded

mephnick
2017-07-17, 04:23 PM
FTFY - his eyes were modded

I'm almost certain they developed that way because of spending years in a pitch black dungeon or something? There was dialogue to that effect in one of the movies but they may have changed it later.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 04:28 PM
I'm almost certain they developed that way because of spending years in a pitch black dungeon or something? There was dialogue to that effect in one of the movies but they may have changed it later.

The original explanation was that he got a "shine job" done on his eyes by a doctor. I'm not sure if they changed that.

mephnick
2017-07-17, 04:35 PM
The original explanation was that he got a "shine job" done on his eyes by a doctor. I'm not sure if they changed that.

Reading the wiki, they changed from shine job to natural Furyian darkvision to a mix of both apparently. Good ol' movies.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 04:53 PM
Reading the wiki, they changed from shine job to natural Furyian darkvision to a mix of both apparently. Good ol' movies.

Oh for Pete's sake...

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 05:06 PM
Oh for Pete's sake...
That just means you get to pick whichever fits your idea better! So, shine doctor it is, and until that happens, Goggles. ;)

mgshamster
2017-07-17, 07:44 PM
Between the three movies, the animated short, and the two video games (I own all of them), there's a lot of contradiction in Riddick's story.

But hey, that's just the way he likes it. :)

Edit: I should also add in the short special that came out in anticipation of the original theatrical release of Pitch Black.

Zonugal
2017-07-17, 09:25 PM
He isn't small-sized, so you can change that (and it wouldn't really alter the build too much), but this is what I'd try to approach Riddick as build-wise:

The Riddick

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0c/b4/c3/0cb4c388eaf1c5cd2cef152421cb9c09--the-chronicles-of-riddick-fictional-characters.jpg

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

Richard B. Riddick
Dark Elf ‘’Revised’ ‘Deep Stalker Conclave’ Ranger 7/’Assassin’ Rogue 5 with the Outlander background
Medium humanoid (elf), Chaotic Neutral
Armor class 16 (studded leather armor)
Hit points 95 (7d10+14/5d8+10)
Speed 30 ft.
---
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 11
---
Saving Throws Strength +5, Dexterity +8 and Wisdom +6
Skills Acrobatics +12, Animal Handling +6, Athletics +5, Disguise Kit +4, Musical Instrument (Harmonica) +4, Perception +6, Poisoner’s Kit +4, Stealth +12, Survival +6, and Thieves’ Tools +4
Feats Dual Wielder
Senses passive Perception 16; Darkvision 150 ft.; Light Sensitivity
Languages Common, Elven and Undercommon
Challenge 12
---
Special Abilities
Racial Abilities: Superior Darkvision (150 ft.), Drow Magic, Drow Weapon Training, Fey Ancestry, Keen Senses, Sunlight Sensitivity, and Trance
Background Abilities: Wanderer
Class Abilities: Favored Enemy (Humanoids +4), Natural Explorer, Ranger Spellcasting, Fighting Style (Two-Weapon Fighting), Primeval Awareness, Ranger Conclave (Deep Stalker), Underdark Scout, Deep Stalker Magic, Extra Attack, Greater Favored Enemy (Aberrations +4), Iron Mind, Expertise (Acrobatics & Stealth), Sneak Attack (3d6), Thieves’ Cant, Cunning Action, Assassinate, and Uncanny Dodge
---
Actions
Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20ft./60ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60 range)
---
Ranger Spells -- Riddick’s Ranger spellcasting ability is Wisdom-based (spell save DC 14)
1st-level Spells Known (4/long rest) -- Animal Friendship, Disguise Self, Hunter’s Mark, and Longstrider
2nd-level Spells Known (3/long rest) -- Barkskin, Pass Without Trace, and Rope Trick
Drow Spell-like Abilities -- Riddick’s racial Drow spellcasting ability is Charisma-based (spell save 12)
Cantrips Known (at will) -- Dancing Lights
1st-level Spell-like Abilities (1/long rest) -- Faerie Fire
2nd-level Spell-like Abilities (1/long rest) -- Darkness
---
Equipment: a belt pouch (720 gp), two daggers, a dungeoneer’s kit, Goggles of Reverse Night, a hunting trap, studded leather armor, a trophy from an animal you’ve killed, and traveler’s clothes

coolAlias
2017-07-17, 09:53 PM
@Zonugal - I like your build, and that picture is inspiring. No Intimidation proficiency, though? :(

I think I'm going to try my hand at an actual build as well - I love making characters almost as much as playing, maybe even more lol.

EDIT: Hm, this is tougher than I thought. I'm trying to capture Riddick's character progression, including his unarmed prowess as well as his sort of mystic link with the fury of his people. I also want to keep him human, since that's what he is, though you may be okay with refluffing another race in order to get permanent darkvision without taking Warlock levels. I'll have to keep playing around with this before I'm satisfied.