PDA

View Full Version : Live or Memorex?

Abstruse
2007-08-07, 05:36 PM
Well, "reality" or "illusion", really.

Let's say you have an illusionist who hasn't banned conjuration, for some reason or another. However, his illusion-conjurations have been seen through by a particular opponent, and so instead he decides to pop out a real conjuration instead. If the opponent looks at this new manifestation and says "I attempt to disbelieve", what happens when the real conjuration tries to reach out and thwacks him upside the head?

Would the opponent be considered flat-footed? What about if they attempt to disbelieve a spell they'd normally get a save against (Reflex or Fortitude) but decide to try a Will save against? Would they get the other save at all?

Kyeudo
2007-08-07, 05:50 PM
Since making the Will save takes no time, he finds it still seems real after trying to disbelieve it. Thus, he must choose to either believe he made his save and this is real, or that hes still facing an illusion that is stronger than those last.

If he continues to act as if its an illusion, he may attempt to enter its space, or walk by it and thus provoke attacks of oppourtunity.

If they make Will saves to disbelieve against spells that require other saves, they still get the other save.

tainsouvra
2007-08-07, 05:54 PM
Disbelief in this edition is more of a "cautious analysis" than the old "deny the reality of"...you don't have to just stand there and take it to disbelieve now.

I would add, however, that disbelieving now requires interacting with or carefully studying the possible illusion. If the character is stating "I attempt to disbelieve", then that should take up at least a standard action while he looks for some sort of flaw in the possible illusion. Allow him to roll the saving throw, but tell him "you fail to notice anything is amiss" regardless of the result, as it is not an illusion and thus there is nothing amiss.

Edit:
Just to clarify, if it was an illusion and it struck him in combat, he would get an automatic and no-action saving throw due to the interaction. It's only because he is attempting to study the conjured creature/spell without directly interacting with it that it should take a moment of his time.

Beren One-Hand
2007-08-07, 10:58 PM
What about Evocations?

You're flinging around shadow fireballs, and you're fed up with the guys just laughing it off - so you shoot 'em with a real one.

They don't get a will save until they interact with it, so if they state they are choosing to disbelieve shouldn't they be infact giving up their Ref save?

Dhavaer
2007-08-07, 11:00 PM
What about Evocations?

You're flinging around shadow fireballs, and you're fed up with the guys just laughing it off - so you shoot 'em with a real one.

They don't get a will save until they interact with it, so if they state they are choosing to disbelieve shouldn't they be infact giving up their Ref save?

They get a reflex save against the Shadow fireballs as well, so no.

tainsouvra
2007-08-07, 11:05 PM
They don't get a will save until they interact with it, so if they state they are choosing to disbelieve shouldn't they be infact giving up their Ref save? No, for two reasons. If you interact with an illusion, you don't have to say you disbelieve, you get the disbelief check automatically as a non-action--there is no real "choosing to disbelieve" in this edition. Second, Shadow Evocation allows the simulated spell's normal save in addition to the initial Will save, so where do you get the idea that you don't get both?

Disbelief isn't the same way it was in previous editions, it's not about denying the reality of what you see, it's noticing something is amiss during an interaction.

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-07, 11:07 PM
...there is no 'state that you are choosing to disbelieve' in D&D 3.5. If you take a fireball, you get a reflex save at no cost of any kind. If you take a shadow fireball, you get a will save to reduce its effect and then a reflex save as normal for a fireball, still with no cost of any kind.

Choosing to disbelieve could become relevant if, for instance, you were being flanked by an creature you think is illusionary, but haven't saved against. But the rules don't provide any mechanics for what happens if you get attacked by something you're assuming isn't real...

tainsouvra
2007-08-07, 11:22 PM
Choosing to disbelieve could become relevant if, for instance, you were being flanked by an creature you think is illusionary, but haven't saved against. But the rules don't provide any mechanics for what happens if you get attacked by something you're assuming isn't real... As far as the character goes, there isn't really such a thing as "assuming it isn't real"--if you make your will save, you find something amiss and know it is an illusion; if you fail your will save, you find nothing amiss and believe it to be real until someone else succeeds and communicates that it is an illusion (which only allows a second check at +4, by the way).

If the player knows something is an illusion, but the character fails its save, "assuming it isn't real" is simply metagaming and the DM should cast Rocks Fall.

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-07, 11:38 PM
For figments especially, that's nonsense. Characters are aware of magic. It's entirely possible for you to know you're dealing with someone who uses illusions, so when you're attacked by a Great Wyrm Red Dragon, it's very probably not really there no matter how convincing it seems.

As a result, you refuse to let the 'dragon' herd you around or distract you from enemies you do expect to be able to hurt you. This isn't player metagaming, this is the character saying "I see it, I feel it, but I know it can't be real, I'm going to do my best to disregard it." This is perfectly reasonable thinking for anyone with the slightest familiarity with arcane magic.

The interesting question comes up when you misjudged your opponent, and that unlikely but regrettably real dragon gets tired of trying to chase you away unharmed and bites your idiot head off. What's the consequence of your refusing to acknowledge its presence? (Note that mechanically speaking, you can't be flanked by an illusionary enemy, but I'd assume that a convincing illusion of someone threatening you would have the same effect as someone really threatening you).

kjones
2007-08-07, 11:57 PM
Disbelief in this edition is more of a "cautious analysis" than the old "deny the reality of"...you don't have to just stand there and take it to disbelieve now.

I would add, however, that disbelieving now requires interacting with or carefully studying the possible illusion. If the character is stating "I attempt to disbelieve", then that should take up at least a standard action while he looks for some sort of flaw in the possible illusion. Allow him to roll the saving throw, but tell him "you fail to notice anything is amiss" regardless of the result, as it is not an illusion and thus there is nothing amiss.

Edit:
Just to clarify, if it was an illusion and it struck him in combat, he would get an automatic and no-action saving throw due to the interaction. It's only because he is attempting to study the conjured creature/spell without directly interacting with it that it should take a moment of his time.

Just wanted to comment on this: In my games, disbelief is a full-round action, because whenever I introduce a single illusion spell into the game, my players go around disbelieving every rock, tree, and person they meet for weeks.

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 12:24 AM
For figments especially, that's nonsense. Characters are aware of magic. It's entirely possible for you to know you're dealing with someone who uses illusions, so when you're attacked by a Great Wyrm Red Dragon, it's very probably not really there no matter how convincing it seems.

As a result, you refuse to let the 'dragon' herd you around or distract you from enemies you do expect to be able to hurt you. This isn't player metagaming, this is the character saying "I see it, I feel it, but I know it can't be real, I'm going to do my best to disregard it." This is perfectly reasonable thinking for anyone with the slightest familiarity with arcane magic. I believe you are misunderstanding the rules. If there is a clear and obvious reason why an illusion shouldn't be true, then disbelief is automatic, no save is required. There isn't some "assuming it isn't real" rule, disbelief in these situations is automatically successful. If there is no clear or obvious reason, you get a save for inspection/interaction, or for someone communicating the illusion to you.

That's pretty much it. If you weren't automatically successful, your character didn't have proof it was an illusion. If you fail your save, he couldn't find anything amiss. If your character doesn't have proof that it's an illusion and doesn't notice anything amiss, he believes the illusion.
The interesting question comes up when you misjudged your opponent, and that unlikely but regrettably real dragon gets tired of trying to chase you away unharmed and bites your idiot head off. What's the consequence of your refusing to acknowledge its presence? The same as an attack by any other opponent of which you are not aware, you're flatfooted when it strikes you.

The illusion/disbelief rules in this edition are very simplistic...
If you know for a fact something is an illusion, you are considered to have automatically disbelieved.
If you interact with or inspect an illusion, you get a save to disbelieve.
If someone informs you of an illusion, you get a +4 save to disbelieve.
If you don't know for a fact that something is an illusion, you haven't interacted with it, you haven't inspected it, and nobody has informed you that it is an illusion, you believe.
...anything beyond that is either a throwback to previous editions, and thus not actually applicable, or is metagaming, and rocks should fall.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-08, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to comment on this: In my games, disbelief is a full-round action, because whenever I introduce a single illusion spell into the game, my players go around disbelieving every rock, tree, and person they meet for weeks.

Oh, come on... do you really expect us to believe that?
:wink:

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 12:28 AM
Just wanted to comment on this: In my games, disbelief is a full-round action, because whenever I introduce a single illusion spell into the game, my players go around disbelieving every rock, tree, and person they meet for weeks. That's a fair interpretation, actually. If they aren't interacting with the rock/tree/person, they have to stop to inspect it in order to get a disbelief saving throw, per the rules.

Also, your players sound OCD, good luck with that :smallamused:

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-08, 05:09 AM
I believe you are misunderstanding the rules. If there is a clear and obvious reason why an illusion shouldn't be true, then disbelief is automatic, no save is required. There isn't some "assuming it isn't real" rule, disbelief in these situations is automatically successful. If there is no clear or obvious reason, you get a save for inspection/interaction, or for someone communicating the illusion to you.
No, it wouldn't. Sticking your hand through the 'dragon' would automatically defeat the illusion. Being intellectually confident that there's no such dragon present doesn't. It isn't proof that you are getting false information from your senses, it's a reason to distrust that information. That doesn't allow you to be sure of anything, or to defeat the illusion. It does allow you to try to defeat the illusion, which you wouldn't do if you had no idea it might be one.

That's pretty much it. If you weren't automatically successful, your character didn't have proof it was an illusion. If you fail your save, he couldn't find anything amiss. If your character doesn't have proof that it's an illusion and doesn't notice anything amiss, he believes the illusion. The same as an attack by any other opponent of which you are not aware, you're flatfooted when it strikes you.
Figments and Glamers are not mind affecting. They are something very like magical holograms. Saving against a figment means discerning that your senses are reporting misinformation, and thus seeing through the false image (literally, even). But I can choose to assume that a table doesn't actually exist, if I want to. This is an intellectual decision that no spell can interfere with without being mind effecting. There being no illusionists around in the real world, that I'm aware of, I'm almost certainly wrong, as I will discover if I try to walk through the table I insist is not real.

Consider, please...if what you say is true, no person with a basic understanding of magic could ever say 'do you think we're seeing illusions?'. Because if they were you assert they aren't allowed to think of the possibility, and if they weren't they would have thought of the possibility, realized that thought proves the reality of whatever they're looking at, and dropped the question. I submit that this is neither RAW nor remotely logical.

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 12:34 PM
No, it wouldn't. Sticking your hand through the 'dragon' would automatically defeat the illusion. Being intellectually confident that there's no such dragon present doesn't. It isn't proof that you are getting false information from your senses, it's a reason to distrust that information. That doesn't allow you to be sure of anything, or to defeat the illusion. It does allow you to try to defeat the illusion, which you wouldn't do if you had no idea it might be one. Allow me to requote the relevant portion for clarity...

If there is no clear or obvious reason, you get a save for inspection/interaction, or for someone communicating the illusion to you.

That's pretty much it. If you weren't automatically successful, your character didn't have proof it was an illusion. If you fail your save, he couldn't find anything amiss. If your character doesn't have proof that it's an illusion and doesn't notice anything amiss, he believes the illusion.

Trying to defeat the illusion allows a save. Failing that save means your character believes the illusion, regardless of your out-of-character knowledge that he shouldn't have believed it.

That's all the rules permit you. If you fail to disbelieve, you believe.
I can choose to assume that a table doesn't actually exist, if I want to. This is an intellectual decision that no spell can interfere with without being mind effecting. That decision allows you to inspect it and try a saving throw. If you fail that save, the illusion was too convincing, and your mind accepts what your senses are giving you.

That's all the rules permit you. If you fail your save, your character finds nothing at all that is amiss, he is fooled.
Consider, please...if what you say is true, no person with a basic understanding of magic could ever say 'do you think we're seeing illusions?'. Because if they were you assert they aren't allowed to think of the possibility, and if they weren't they would have thought of the possibility, realized that thought proves the reality of whatever they're looking at, and dropped the question. I submit that this is neither RAW nor remotely logical. That is not what I am saying. Why do you think the rules allow you a saving throw if you stop to inspect something that seems unusual to determine if it is an illusion? Because your character is thinking to himself "am I seeing an illusion?", of course--but if he fails his saving throw, his inspection has revealed nothing unusual, and his answer is "nope, it wasn't an illusion".

Let me put it this way...
The save is for disbelief--if you fail your save, your character believes regardless of your out-of-character knowledge.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-08, 12:47 PM
I've disbelieved real things, in real life even. You just act as if they're not there. If you're a wizard, and you see another wizard, and he waves his hands, and casts fireball at you, then waves his hands, and summons a Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon, and you know what that is, then I'm betting I could rationalize not believing it's there, simply by virtue of there being NO FREAKIN WAY any arcane caster would use a fireball, and seeing that didn't work, using an really epic spell to summon a mighty dragon. It makes no sense. There is nothing in the rules that prevents me from claiming that my wizard rationally disbelieves the existence of the dragon, even if all sensory input says otherwise.

Until he gets eaten.

Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)
Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.

Nothing here prevents rational disbelief by logic, by experience, or otherwise. I may not notice anything wrong with the illusory dragon, but that doesn't mean I can't say "My character, by his knowledge that only the mightiest of wizards could summon such a fell beast, rationally ignores the beast, as it is utterly illogical for a wizard to use such a spell as fireball, and follow that with a spell of epic proportions and might. Should such a wizard stand before us now, we would already have perished."

I'm not an NPC. I'm not metagaming. It's perfectly rational, and in character. I have no proof, nor do I notice anything wrong. What I have is an entirely convincing argument.

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 08:15 PM
An entirely convincing argument should constitute proof...that's the meaning of the word, even: evidence sufficient to establish or produce belief in truth. If you have a completely convincing argument, you automatically disbelieve. If you don't have a completely convincing argument, it's time to make a save--and if you fail that save, you believe. Period. That's just how illusions work in this edition, there is no "I don't have evidence it's an illusion but I don't want to believe anyway" anymore.
There is nothing in the rules that prevents me from claiming that my wizard rationally disbelieves the existence of the dragon, even if all sensory input says otherwise. If we're relying on the "nothing says I can't" idea, then there's nothing in the rules that prevents me from claiming that my wizard dodges the Fireball. I mean, sure it subverts the whole reflex saving throw mechanic, and sure there's no rule that allows me to do it, and sure it defeats the purpose of the spell...but it's my character and I can say what I want, and the spell doesn't say that I'm not allowed to subvert the rules that way.

The same is true of illusions, disbelief without proof or a save. It subverts the whole will saving throw mechanic, there's no rule that allows you to do it, and it defeats the purpose of the spell...but it's your character and you say what you want, and the spell doesn't say you're not allowed to subvert the rules that way.

And the DM can say that rocks fall--that doesn't even break the rules.

Disbelief is disbelief. If you fail to disbelieve, you believe. If you fail to disbelieve and decide to disbelieve anyway, you're applying metagame knowledge to gain a game advantage.

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-08, 09:15 PM
An entirely convincing argument should constitute proof...that's the meaning of the word, even: evidence sufficient to establish or produce belief in truth.
That is an incredibly bad definition of proof (and I don't care where you got it). Proof is evidence sufficient to establish truth. 'Belief in truth' is just about meaningless.

If you have a completely convincing argument, you automatically disbelieve. If you don't have a completely convincing argument, it's time to make a save--and if you fail that save, you believe.
So, if I have a completely convincing argument as to why the dragon isn't here, I can walk right through it...even if for reasons I can't possibly know about it turns out the dragon really is here? As for the save, that's a direct contradiction of the RAW. You get a save when you "study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion" (phb173). Your getting a save is in no way dependent on whether or not you doubt the reality of the illusion.

Let me put it this way...
The save is for disbelief--if you fail your save, your character believes regardless of your out-of-character knowledge.

Disbelief is disbelief. If you fail to disbelieve, you believe. If you fail to disbelieve and decide to disbelieve anyway, you're applying metagame knowledge to gain a game advantage.
You're putting too much weight on a word that's barely used at all in the rules. 'Disbelief', in fact, appears exactly once in the section on saving against illusions: in parenthesis, in the title. 'Belief' isn't used in that section at all. 'Believing' or not believing in illusions is not part of the rules at this point so far as I can discern, for very good reasons.

A character who fails to save doesn't 'notice something is amiss'...which it seems to me means with the illusion itself. You are in no way prevented from noticing something is amiss with the fact that a crenelated wall of adamantium, complete with guards, has popped up across your path. Or (a little) more subtly, with noticing that there used to be an alley where there's now a ten foot high wall made of flamingo-pink bricks. Or, for an obviously D&Dish example, from noticing that while the bridge looks just fine to you, both the wizard and the cleric are yelling to stay off it because it's not real.

You also keep bringing up a 'metagame advantage'. I don't quite see that. As I say, I'm capable of choosing to disbelieve in a table if I want to. Distrusting something you have not verified as an illusion by passing a will save is quite advantageous...if what you're disbelieving is actually an illusion. Until you actually pass a will save, it's entirely possible that you're in fact ignoring a real buffalo stampede.

Jasdoif
2007-08-08, 09:19 PM
Having two siblings, I assure you that it's possible to disregard something that you believe is real. :smalltongue:

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 10:20 PM
That is an incredibly bad definition of proof (and I don't care where you got it). Proof is evidence sufficient to establish truth. 'Belief in truth' is just about meaningless. Define "truth", then, as your definition is just shifting all the meaning to that word and I'm not to use any source whatsoever to define "proof".
So, if I have a completely convincing argument as to why the dragon isn't here, I can walk right through it...even if for reasons I can't possibly know about it turns out the dragon really is here? This is not in any way implied by what I said. Care to explain where you came up with that one?
As for the save, that's a direct contradiction of the RAW. You get a save when you "study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion" (phb173). Your getting a save is in no way dependent on whether or not you doubt the reality of the illusion. Exactly why would you be studying something carefully to see if something was amiss if you didn't believe something was amiss beforehand? You're just being absurd now, the entire reason there's a rule for studying something is because you might have some motivation to study it. It's not in contradiction to the RAW, it's the basis for having the "inspect" rule at all.
You're putting too much weight on a word that's barely used at all in the rules. 'Disbelief', in fact, appears exactly once in the section on saving against illusions: in parenthesis, in the title. 'Belief' isn't used in that section at all. 'Believing' or not believing in illusions is not part of the rules at this point so far as I can discern, for very good reasons. If you're going to harp on my usage of the term "disbelief", please note that this discussion started with you using the term, and I've been following suit. So, hypocrite much? :smalltongue:
A character who fails to save doesn't 'notice something is amiss'...which it seems to me means with the illusion itself. Is that stated anywhere in the rules, or your personal opinion based on how you've played? The rules don't make that distinction, and the illusory floor example doesn't really mesh with that interpretation. The illusion of the floor might be perfect, but if you managed to fall through it, you know for reasons outside of the illusion that it's obviously false, causing you to automatically be successful in your disbelief without the need for a saving throw. The rules assume that situational information is going to be weighed against the illusion, it's not only about the illusion itself.
You are in no way prevented from noticing something is amiss with the fact that a crenelated wall of adamantium, complete with guards, has popped up across your path. Or (a little) more subtly, with noticing that there used to be an alley where there's now a ten foot high wall made of flamingo-pink bricks. Or, for an obviously D&Dish example, from noticing that while the bridge looks just fine to you, both the wizard and the cleric are yelling to stay off it because it's not real. Knowing that something is wrong with the situation and your character knowing for certain that he is faced with an illusion are not necessarily the same thing.

In the first example, you could get a save for studying it, because you would probably be doing exactly that when faced with such an unusual occurrance.

In the second example, you would get a save for studying it if you simply looked and an automatic success for putting your hand through it if you tried to touch it in the course of your inspection.

In the third example, you would get your first saving throw for studying the bridge, then another saving throw at +4 for having the illusion communicated to you. If you failed both, the bridge would seem quite real to you, but you could choose to trust your friends over your own conclusions if you wished (that doesn't mean you disbelieve, just that you do what they say regardless of what you believe).
You also keep bringing up a 'metagame advantage'. I don't quite see that. As I say, I'm capable of choosing to disbelieve in a table if I want to. Distrusting something you have not verified as an illusion by passing a will save is quite advantageous...if what you're disbelieving is actually an illusion. Until you actually pass a will save, it's entirely possible that you're in fact ignoring a real buffalo stampede. I agree about the stampede example, but I don't think you're evaluating all the likely situations where illusions come up. Here's a simple example of how the metagame advantage can be downright game-breaking.

Player B knows the ruins, Player A just arrived in them and decided to turn hostile.
Player A: I'm attacking the Wizard (Player B).
Player B: I'm running around the corner and down that alley, then casting Silent Image to make it seem like the alley is too full of rubble to pass through.
Player A: I ignore the rubble and walk right through it, since my character chooses to disbelieve that it's there.

No saving throw, he just chooses to not believe it. No metagame advantage there? The saving throws are there for a reason--players sometimes know they should be ignoring something, but the character doesn't. Rolls to disbelieve, when in the absence of proof of an illusion, are an essential part of how illusions balance.

horseboy
2007-08-08, 11:04 PM
Player A knows the ruins, Player B just arrived in them and decided to turn hostile.
Player B: I'm running around the corner and down that alley, then casting Silent Image to make it seem like the alley is too full of rubble to pass through.
Player A: I ignore the rubble and walk right through it, since my character chooses to disbelieve that it's there.

No saving throw, he just chooses to not believe it. No metagame advantage there? The saving throws are there for a reason--players sometimes know they should be ignoring something, but the character doesn't. Rolls to disbelieve, when in the absence of proof of an illusion, are an essential part of how illusions balance.

No, that would pretty much be a metagaming occurrence. In that case he could use his Know: Local in place of his save, if it's better. Otherwise he's going to have to stop and think "Wait, wasn't this clear the other day when I was here, or was that the next street?" Thereby being the "close study" needed.

Jasdoif
2007-08-08, 11:11 PM
Here's a simple example of how the metagame advantage can be downright game-breaking.

Player A knows the ruins, Player B just arrived in them and decided to turn hostile.

No saving throw, he just chooses to not believe it. No metagame advantage there?Player B seriously declared casting an illusion against Player A's character, within earshout of Player A? :smallconfused: That's the problem right there, Player B is metagaming, leaking knowledge to cast doubt on Player A's reaction.

tainsouvra
2007-08-08, 11:13 PM
I fixed an A/B transposition that probably confused the issue just now, but I (naturally) agree that metagaming took place there :smallsmile:

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-08, 11:46 PM
Define "truth", then, as your definition is just shifting all the meaning to that word and I'm not to use any source whatsoever to define "proof".
...plucked from Mirriam-Webster Online: "the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality" seems good enough for me. Is the meaning of 'truth' actually in question?

This is not in any way implied by what I said. Care to explain where you came up with that one?
You wrote: "If you have a completely convincing argument, you automatically disbelieve."

Bards specialize in creating completely convincing (mechanically speaking) arguments...not necessarily for things that are in fact true...and so getting people to automatically disbelieve (in some mechanical sense?) in non-illusions?

Exactly why would you be studying something carefully to see if something was amiss if you didn't believe something was amiss beforehand? You're just being absurd now, the entire reason there's a rule for studying something is because you might have some motivation to study it. It's not in contradiction to the RAW, it's the basis for having the "inspect" rule at all.
It doesn't say you have to study it carefully with intent to look for something amiss...people can study something carefully for many other reasons. I do agree that you are intended to be able to study something carefully in an attempt to discern whether it is an illusion, and thus obtain a will save to see through the illusion.

But your save, unless the DM is applying circumstance modifiers to it, in no way depends on whether you suspect or have reason to suspect that there is an illusion, so long as you still take an appropriate action to bring about a save.

If you're going to harp on my usage of the term "disbelief", please note that this discussion started with you using the term, and I've been following suit. So, hypocrite much? :smalltongue:
You're using 'disbelief' as a mechanical term relating to illusions and will saves. I'm not, though perhaps that wasn't clear. I would consider myself justly whapped with a newspaper for mistreatment of technical terminology, except that I don't think disbelief actually is technical terminology in D&D 3.5, whatever it may have been in the past.

Is that stated anywhere in the rules, or your personal opinion based on how you've played? The rules don't make that distinction, and the illusory floor example doesn't really mesh with that interpretation. The illusion of the floor might be perfect, but if you managed to fall through it, you know for reasons outside of the illusion that it's obviously false, causing you to automatically be successful in your disbelief without the need for a saving throw. The rules assume that situational information is going to be weighed against the illusion, it's not only about the illusion itself.
Based on reading the PHB entry, and probably subconsciously on my existing understanding of same. The not noticing anything amiss is obviously of some limited scope.

Passing through the illusion constitutes noticing something is amiss with the illusion itself. Specifically, that you just passed bodily through what was outwardly a stone wall. The rules do assume that situational information is weighed against the illusion, for instance in the +4 bonus you get from someone else telling you that it's an illusion and they've seen through it (oddly, somehow only if they're telling the truth...). I understand that to represent a more committed examination on the basis of having more evidence.

It is my impression from the information given on saving against illusions that the illusion is never 'perfect'. It's simply good enough that the imperfections aren't obvious enough force you to recognize them, and instead you must examine the illusion to find the flaws and thus defeat it.

Knowing that something is wrong with the situation and your character knowing for certain that he is faced with an illusion are not necessarily the same thing.
Yes. I'm talking about the first, with reason to suspect that what is wrong may be the presence of illusions. The second cannot be said to be the case until you've defeated the illusion, or possibly have discerned that there is magic of the illusion school present. (which doesn't tell you what kind of illusion...Magic Aura:smallbiggrin: )

In the first example, you could get a save for studying it, because you would probably be doing exactly that when faced with such an unusual occurrance.

In the second example, you would get a save for studying it if you simply looked and an automatic success for putting your hand through it if you tried to touch it in the course of your inspection.

In the third example, you would get your first saving throw for studying the bridge, then another saving throw at +4 for having the illusion communicated to you. If you failed both, the bridge would seem quite real to you, but you could choose to trust your friends over your own conclusions if you wished (that doesn't mean you disbelieve, just that you do what they say regardless of what you believe).
I agree with everything you say here, pretty much. But if you fail all the saves, you're not prevented from suspecting that the apparently real things may still not be real. In the third example, I would note...you don't magically see through the bridge, just because your trusted friends tell you it isn't real. But you do (potentially) believe that there is in fact no bridge there. You still see it, unless you keep studying it until you manage to pass the save, but you aren't just humoring them and not using the perfectly good bridge.

Well, you could be. But you aren't required to be trusting the evidence of your eyes over the reports of your friends who are better equipped to judge.

I agree about the stampede example, but I don't think you're evaluating all the likely situations where illusions come up. Here's a simple example of how the metagame advantage can be downright game-breaking.

That isn't a problem with following what I still understand to be the actual rules given for illusions. That's a problem of Player A blatantly ignoring the game itself, and has to do with managing humans around a table rather than game mechanics. Problems with herding apes should be dealt with via ape-herding techniques.

Essentially, if players suck badly enough to even think about doing that, first of all you should indeed attempt 'rocks fall'. Against Player A, specifically, not either character. Secondly, in any kind of opposed action situation it's generally a good idea to have players communicate privately to the DM...saying "I cast an illusion at you!" is just making it unnecessarily harder to roleplay correctly. It makes it easier for everyone if the DM makes sure people don't get informed out of character that they're dealing with illusions.

...er, despite quoting the un-fixed version, I was reading in the fix. Even before you made it.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 12:22 AM
I was indeed using "disbelief" as a technical term, as it is introduced in the PHB as the term for saving against an illusion, and had thought you were using that definition as well per your initial usage. At this point I think the difference between our interpretations depends largely on the degree to which the DM is ape-herding, as you put it, his way through illusions--I believe the ape-herding comes into effect not just in a PvP situation, but any time a player is using his own (rather than his character's, even if it is attempted to justify as such) knowledge of illusions rather than his character's reasonable responses to the situation in front of him. A strict interpretation of the rules reduces the amount of ape-herding by shifting it onto the rules themselves, but a DM fiat used liberally can accomplish the same thing, which now appears to be what you suggest for those situations where the line is being pushed or crossed.

Sound about right?

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-09, 01:02 AM
I was indeed using "disbelief" as a technical term, as it is introduced in the PHB as the term for saving against an illusion, and had thought you were using that definition as well per your initial usage.
Er...is the word used more than that one time, as a paranthetical attachment to a section heading? I wouldn't be altogether surprised, but I'm not aware of any other case of it.

At this point I think the difference between our interpretations depends largely on the degree to which the DM is ape-herding, as you put it, his way through illusions--I believe the ape-herding comes into effect not just in a PvP situation, but any time a player is using his own (rather than his character's, even if it is attempted to justify as such) knowledge of illusions rather than his character's reasonable responses to the situation in front of him.
Er...perhaps terminology should be dropped to be more clear about things, since 'ape-herding' certainly isn't a technical term. I was using it to mean that in this case you have a problem of letting a player know things about the situation that their character does not, when they (evidently) can't be trusted to compartmentalize at all.

If you don't go around telling players "Suddenly, a giant illusion of a red dragon dives out of the sun, breathing fake fire at you!" you're maintaining the level of basic helpful knowledge-management that is all I'd think you really need...and which your example grossly violated, though not entirely by the DM's fault.

A strict interpretation of the rules reduces the amount of ape-herding by shifting it onto the rules themselves, but a DM fiat used liberally can accomplish the same thing, which now appears to be what you suggest for those situations where the line is being pushed or crossed.

Sound about right?
Sorry, I have not in the least been convinced that you are following 'a strict interpretation of the rules' and I am instead advocating DM fiat...If I'm understanding your meaning correctly I'd call it more a 'draconian misreading of the rules'.:smallwink:

I'm claiming both logical (no mind effects from spells that aren't mind-effecting!) and rules correctness, at present. Possibly not tabletop practicality correctness.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-09, 01:14 AM
...let me get this straight.

Tain, are you really arguing that unless you succeed on a save versus an illusion, you can't treat it as though it might be or probably is an illusion?

The saving throw is only for guaranteed results, and only after interaction with the illusion. In fact, interaction generally happens when you suspect something might be an illusion. You can try to talk through a wall, illusion or not; it's just that you'll fail if it's not.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 01:26 AM
Er...is the word used more than that one time, as a paranthetical attachment to a section heading? I wouldn't be altogether surprised, but I'm not aware of any other case of it. It's used in the "saving throw" section of the vast majority of the illusion school, actually. It's not just used one time, the PHB alone uses it a dozen times (at least)--it's used consistently throughout the "spells" section. Figments and Phantasms that allow disbelief refer to it as such; "Disbelief" is one of the most defining terms for illusions, actually, and the circumstances under which a spell may be disbelieved are sometimes directly spelled out. It's not some fluff I'm taking too seriously, it's in most of the spell descriptions for illusions.

Regarding the example, it was meant to show a player acting with certainty on information the character shouldn't be certain of, the blatant passing of that information was just so I could keep it short. Any case in which the character shouldn't be completely certain, but the player chooses to have the character act with certainty, fits the same bill...most of them just take more than a couple lines of dialog to present, so I went for the easy one. The same principle, DM intervention being called for because of a player chooses to disbelieve in a situation where it's unjustified, applies to any such case.
Sorry, I have not in the least been convinced that you are following 'a strict interpretation of the rules' and I am instead advocating DM fiat...If I'm understanding your meaning correctly I'd call it more a 'draconian misreading of the rules'.:smallwink: The "DM fiat" portion, I'm not sure how you're contesting, you'd have to elaborate. The idea behind my response was that my reading of the rules makes a DM fiat unnecessary in such metagaming situations, while yours would require more personal intervention each time. In general, that's an indication that the reading that does not require DM intervention is the intended one, but it is not (nor was it intended to be) proof that it was the only possible reading--just a better one for actual gameplay, as it is consistent with how the spells involved should work, per the descriptions for disbelief and the spells themselves.
I'm claiming both logical (no mind effects from spells that aren't mind-effecting!) and rules correctness, at present. Possibly not tabletop practicality correctness. My interpretation does reflect the nuts-and-bolts of actually playing through without running into nearly as many situations that require DM intervention to resolve. I would argue, however, that since the rules are intended to actually be used, that interpretation is not to be dismissed lightly.

Additionally, I do remind you that most Figment/Phantasm spells refer to disbelief in a manner consistent with my reading, but which are likely to clash with the idea of "choosing to disbelieve anyway" for mechanics reasons similar to "choosing to avoid the Fireball anyway" since it directly clashes with the information about how saving throws are made.

The saving throw is only for guaranteed results, and only after interaction with the illusion. Is that mentioned anywhere in the rules whatsoever, or is that simply how your group has decided to play it? The actual description simply says that, if a saving throw is required due to interaction but in the absence of proof of an illusion, a successful save disbelieves while an unsuccessful one does not.
In fact, interaction generally happens when you suspect something might be an illusion. You can try to talk through a wall, illusion or not; it's just that you'll fail if it's not. If your character's inspection or interaction finds absolutely nothing amiss with the illusion, why does he decide to walk through what he has every possible reason to believe is a solid wall? Failing a saving throw against an illusion means you fail to disbelieve, and if your character believes he is facing a solid wall, is there any non-metagame reason why he should walk through it?

Jasdoif
2007-08-09, 01:45 AM
Failing a saving throw against an illusion means you fail to disbelieve, and if your character believes he is facing a solid wall, is there any non-metagame reason why he should walk through it?...because your character knows about the existence of such deceptive illusions?

Really, what exactly is the problem here? Unless the DM has let the players know what's an illusion and what's not, how they can be metagaming based on what they don't know? Let them try to disbelieve any wall they want to. They'll fail if the wall's real, of course. Let them try to walk through. Inform them they've knocked themselves silly.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 01:51 AM
...because your character knows about the existence of such deceptive illusions? ...but he doesn't believe that this wall is one of them, or he would have disbelieved successfully.
Really, what exactly is the problem here? Unless the DM has let the players know what's an illusion and what's not, how they can be metagaming based on what they don't know? Let them try to disbelieve any wall they want to. They'll fail if the wall's real, of course. Let them try to walk through. Inform them they've knocked themselves silly. I like that solution, and would happily use it if it became necessary. It's funny :smallbiggrin:

The problem, of course, is that you can only fail if someone rolls a check, which goes back to the idea that a check really is required, even if in your case the failure is going to have a more concrete (pun intended) result.

Jack Mann
2007-08-09, 01:59 AM
I dunno, Tain. I think there's room between "I know it's not real" and "I know that it is!" Presumably, there's a middle ground where you're not sure if it's real or not. Surely, in this case, you could actually test it?

After all, there's nothing stopping you from testing a real wall when no save has been made, even though it's going to hurt. Do illusion spells come with a built-in suggestion that prevents this if you fail the save? Or some effect that makes them absolutely believe in it, moreso than they would a real object? Do illusion spells become more real than reality to the victim? Because that sounds a great deal more like enchantment than illusion.

To my mind, all failing the save does is remove the certainty. If you have other reasons to suspect it's not real (but nothing concrete enough to be sure), then why can't you try it?

Jasdoif
2007-08-09, 02:08 AM
...but he doesn't believe that this wall is one of them, or he would have disbelieved successfully.If he knows that there exist illusions so convincing and believeable that it can be difficult to tell the difference, how is he going to find out if a particular case is illusory or not?

By trying it out. A leap of faith, so to speak. You ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy steps out onto that bridge he didn't know was there?

I like that solution, and would happily use it if it became necessary. It's funny :smallbiggrin:

The problem, of course, is that you can only fail if someone rolls a check, which goes back to the idea that a check really is required, even if in your case the failure is going to have a more concrete (pun intended) result.The key is what I mentioned there. A properly placed illusion should give no indication that it's an illusion, and the DM shouldn't give away such indication prior to a roll/attempt either. If the players believe there's an illusion, let them decide what it is, and roll the disbelief rolls for them on what they choose.

That's the trick: The players shouldn't know if the save fails because the illusion was too convincing, or if the save fails because there's no illusion. If the save fails, they're limited to trying it to find out. And don't forget, illusions can hide traps as easily as they can doors or other pathways.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 02:13 AM
I dunno, Tain. I think there's room between "I know it's not real" and "I know that it is!" Presumably, there's a middle ground where you're not sure if it's real or not. Surely, in this case, you could actually test it? Yep, that's why you're permitted by the rules to do exactly that. Testing, however, is not the same thing as deciding to automatically disbelieve. Testing that proves the illusion gives an automatic success on the save, testing that might possibly something amiss but doesn't find automatically find proof allows a save to disbelieve.

It's not some exception to the rules, that is the rule :smallsmile:

I would point out that stating that your character has X reason to be suspicious and would like to test the illusion is miles away from staying that your character automatically chooses to disbelieve. The former is exactly what the rules suggest doing, the latter is bypassing the saving throw mechanic that we're explicitly given in the spell descriptions.

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-09, 02:15 AM
It's used in the "saving throw" section of the vast majority of the illusion school, actually. It's not just used one time, the PHB alone uses it a dozen times (at least)--it's used consistently throughout the "spells" section. Figments and Phantasms that allow disbelief refer to it as such; "Disbelief" is one of the most defining terms for illusions, actually, and the circumstances under which a spell may be disbelieved are sometimes directly spelled out. It's not some fluff I'm taking too seriously, it's in most of the spell descriptions for illusions.
It isn't fluff...that's actually kind of my point. It isn't fluff at all. It is used as a saving throw keyword and exactly two other times in the PHB. Once when the keyword application is defined ("Disbelief: A successful save lets the subject ignore the effect.") and once in that parenthetical position in the title of the block that presents clarification about when you save against an illusion and what the results are. This is not exactly a term with great depth of explanation behind it.

Nonetheless, I accept my rolled-newspaper whacking for missing the save keyword usage.

Regarding the example, it was meant to show a player acting with certainty on information the character shouldn't be certain of, the blatant passing of that information was just so I could keep it short. Any case in which the character shouldn't be completely certain, but the player chooses to have the character act with certainty, fits the same bill...most of them just take more than a couple lines of dialog to present, so I went for the easy one. The same principle, DM intervention being called for because of a player chooses to disbelieve in a situation where it's unjustified, applies to any such case.
It's a fact of life that people act as if they were certain when they aren't. It's kind of necessary to getting anything done. I don't think it's out of character to incautiously brand things as illusionary, especially if there's some actual reason to expect that.

More below...

The "DM fiat" portion, I'm not sure how you're contesting, you'd have to elaborate. The idea behind my response was that my reading of the rules makes a DM fiat unnecessary in such metagaming situations, while yours would require more personal intervention each time. In general, that's an indication that the reading that does not require DM intervention is the intended one, but it is not (nor was it intended to be) proof that it was the only possible reading--just a better one for actual gameplay, as it is consistent with how the spells involved should work, per the descriptions for disbelief and the spells themselves.
This 'metagaming situation' would be the same one as when characters with no knowledge ranks know the DR and energy resistance of everything in the Monster Manual, isn't it? Except that in this case its much easier to make sure that the players don't actually have the out of character knowledge to metagame effectively. That is, it's something DM fiat doesn't much help with, you probably need to resolve anyway if you like the concept of character knowledge, and you probably can dodge in the case of illusions by not saying too much.

Your reading of the rules says that any time a character fails a save against a Silent Image, the DM gets editorial control of the character's actions. That's the only way to govern the 'your character now believes without question in the reality of the illusion' effect. My reading simply says: "you stare at the wall. It looks like a wall to you. Now what?"

My interpretation does reflect the nuts-and-bolts of actually playing through without running into nearly as many situations that require DM intervention to resolve. I would argue, however, that since the rules are intended to actually be used, that interpretation is not to be dismissed lightly.
See above, I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is the case. Even if it weren't, I'll readily dump 'convenient' for 'right'.

Additionally, I do remind you that most Figment/Phantasm spells refer to disbelief in a manner consistent with my reading, but which are likely to clash with the idea of "choosing to disbelieve anyway" for mechanics reasons similar to "choosing to avoid the Fireball anyway" since it directly clashes with the information about how saving throws are made.
They refer to disbelief, the save keyword for the mode of save that applies to most illusion spells. That is indeed a technical term, as you brought to my attention. You can't choose to gain the benefits of making the save to disbelieve when you haven't made the save. You can choose not to believe. They're altogether unrelated (though most people wouldn't believe the reality of an illusion they had made the disbelief save for).

Is that mentioned anywhere in the rules whatsoever, or is that simply how your group has decided to play it? The actual description simply says that, if a saving throw is required due to interaction but in the absence of proof of an illusion, a successful save disbelieves while an unsuccessful one does not.

If your character's inspection or interaction finds absolutely nothing amiss with the illusion, why does he decide to walk through what he has every possible reason to believe is a solid wall? Failing a saving throw against an illusion means you fail to disbelieve, and if your character believes he is facing a solid wall, is there any non-metagame reason why he should walk through it?
Point the first: The only thing that seems to support that understanding of disbelief is the word 'disbelief' itself. Nowhere does it say or suggest that you believe if you fail the save. Overweighting the keyword.

Point the second: Because he knows that there's a chance he just got fooled by an illusion. It's remotely possible the illiterate barbarian is unaware of this possibility. The rest of the party almost certainly has at least heard of it.

Point the last: I'm buried alive in ninjas!

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 02:32 AM
If he knows that there exist illusions so convincing and believeable that it can be difficult to tell the difference, how is he going to find out if a particular case is illusory or not?

By trying it out. A leap of faith, so to speak. You ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy steps out onto that bridge he didn't know was there? Here's an example of why that's a different problem...Indy didn't step into every chasm he came across, but players have been known to do absurd things like try to disbelieve everything they see on the chance that they'll be right this time. There needs to be, and are, rules that prevent that from succeeding. Disbelief is a game mechanic with rules as to how it works.

It doesn't need to be said often, but this is D&D, not reality...sometimes, things just don't work that way in order to keep the game running smoothly.

The key is what I mentioned there. A properly placed illusion should give no indication that it's an illusion, and the DM shouldn't give away such indication prior to a roll/attempt either. If the players believe there's an illusion, let them decide what it is, and roll the disbelief rolls for them on what they choose.

That's the trick: The players shouldn't know if the save fails because the illusion was too convincing, or if the save fails because there's no illusion. If the save fails, they're limited to trying it to find out. And don't forget, illusions can hide traps as easily as they can doors or other pathways. I agree completely with trying to minimize opportunities for metagaming, and with designing encounters to thwart metagamers, but am primarily trying to point out that such metagaming doesn't actually give much advantage if the 3.5 disbelief rules are followed rather than grandfathering in the 2E choice to disbelieve.

Ulzgoroth...I'm not sure how to respond to the idea that a player can choose to not believe something that his character has failed to disbelieve. I interpret "failing to notice something is amiss" as not noticing anything amiss, it's as simple as that. I believe that a player character who is taking actions based on something being amiss when he has failed to notice anything amiss is simply metagaming.

If you're convinced that "disbelief" has nothing to do with what your character believes, and that acting as though something is amiss when the character has failed to notice something is amiss isn't metagaming, we will have to agree to disagree. I simply can't think of an untried way of arguing the point, and I highly doubt you can convince me to accept the validity of either claim.

Jack Mann
2007-08-09, 02:39 AM
So, you would say then, there's no reason the character couldn't try walking through an illusory wall, so long as he has some reason to think it might be fake? If so, then we have no disagreement. Certainly, he can't simply choose not to see it if he fails his initial save, but there's no reason he can't try to put his arm through it if he thinks it might be fake. Especially if there's no compelling reason for him to think it's real (i.e., he's seen illusions cast before, saw the guy casting something, and doesn't think it looks like the walls his buddy the wizard casts).

If you're saying he can't do that, then we have problems.

Incidentally, to help with the metagaming problem, I roll my players' saves vs. illusion for them, just as I roll spot and listen for them. They have no more reason to think it's fake than their characters do.

Jasdoif
2007-08-09, 02:45 AM
I agree completely with trying to minimize opportunities for metagaming, and with designing encounters to thwart metagamers, but am primarily trying to point out that such metagaming doesn't actually give much advantage if the 3.5 disbelief rules are followed rather than grandfathering in the 2E choice to disbelieve.Here's the thing. Again. The players can't know if they fail because the illusion is convincing, or if they fail because there's no illusion.

If the only time they roll a disbelief save is when there's an illusion, they'll know whenever there's an illusion because that's when the roll is made. And...that's where your metagaming concerns come in.

Instead, if your players want to interact with a section of wall because they think it's an illusion...let me. Roll the save for them of course, where they can't see; if the wall is real then they will fail to disbelieve regardless of the result of the roll.

Or there's always the treaty (http://agc.deskslave.org/comics/AGC5-5.GIF).

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 03:20 AM
So, you would say then, there's no reason the character couldn't try walking through an illusory wall, so long as he has some reason to think it might be fake? Exactly. That's actually quite similar, although more likely to result in a broken nose if he's wrong, than an example given in the rules (poking at it a couple rounds).

Or there's always the treaty (http://agc.deskslave.org/comics/AGC5-5.GIF). That's a great find :smallbiggrin:

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-09, 04:17 AM
Exactly. That's actually quite similar, although more likely to result in a broken nose if he's wrong, than an example given in the rules (poking at it a couple rounds).
If this remains the case after he has already failed a save against that illusion (from studying the wall at a distance, say), I have no idea what we were arguing about at all.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 02:42 PM
If this remains the case after he has already failed a save against that illusion (from studying the wall at a distance, say), I have no idea what we were arguing about at all. If the character had no proof of the illusion, has failed to disbelieve, and the presence of the illusion has not otherwise been communicated to him, then there is no in-game reason for him to even attempt walking through it. That's my argument--that his failure to disbelieve constitutes accepting the reality of what's in front of him, leaving him no reason to simply choose to walk through the solid wall anyway.

I do not agree with the idea that someone who has failed his "Will Disbelief" and has received no further reason to doubt can simply choose to not believe without breaking the rules. I read the rules about "disbelief" as explicitly saying when your character has found something amiss, since that's what it directly states is being rolled for...and that's where we disagreed, per your insistence that "disbelief" was not the actual thing being rolled or that the saving throw against an illusion was separate from what the character believed about the reality of what he senses.

To summarize my perspective, I'll return to a pair of statements earlier in the discussion...
The save is for disbelief--if you fail your save, your character believes regardless of your out-of-character knowledge. // I interpret "failing to notice something is amiss" as not noticing anything amiss, it's as simple as that. I believe that a player character who is taking actions based on something being amiss when he has failed to notice anything amiss is simply metagaming.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-09, 03:02 PM
I believe that my wizard is moderately intelligent, and so can expect that severely illogical actions by his opponent constitute proof of an illusion. It ain't metagaming, it's perfectly in character. He has a further reason to doubt, that being that it's entirely improbable such a thing occured. Particularly since he has noticed something amiss, even if it isn't directly the illusion.

Eh. What we need to do is to define what constitutes a saving throw, in this case. Interestingly, as I think about it, I find myself shifting somewhat to tainsouvra's position. As you interact with an illusion, you encounter some sort of irregular phenomenon. This grants a saving throw, which is a subconscious (or conscious) attempt to ignore the reality of the illusion, due to minor details being strange. Sucess means that your mind was sufficiently forceful to ignore the existence of the illusion, making it transparent to you. Proof of it being an illusion makes such an attempt simple, and stong reasoning (my friend says it's fake) makes it easier. Repeatedly encountering inconsistiencies is explained by your subconscious, though unignorable proof allows another attempt or automatic success. When you fail a save, you were unable to ignore the illusion, reinforcing its reality to you, and probably causing you to subconsciously fail to note further inconsistiencies, with the exception of strong proof.

Therefore, my wizard gets another save :smallbiggrin:
Or not. He's an example, and depending on the interpretation of what constitutes sufficient proof (That makes no sense whatsoever. At all.), and what exactly is a saving throw against illusion, that varies somewhat. And literally, RAW, he either gets an auto-disbelief (so long as he isn't metagaming, and that's considered sufficient proof) or no new save at all.

I suppose also, such reasoning could be incorporated into the save, but not getting a bonus for something clearly illogical seems strange.

Dealing with metagaming is a different problem. It's called "You walk into a stone wall. Your head hurts, and you fall over."

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 03:26 PM
I believe that my wizard is moderately intelligent, and so can expect that severely illogical actions by his opponent constitute proof of an illusion. It ain't metagaming, it's perfectly in character. He has a further reason to doubt, that being that it's entirely improbable such a thing occured. Particularly since he has noticed something amiss, even if it isn't directly the illusion. I'm inclined to agree that something which seems simply too unreal to believe, in a setting where illusions are known to occur, when you have also noticed something amiss with your senses, is exactly what the "automatic success" idea is meant to encompass. A good illusionist, naturally, won't give you something so easy to pick out...but automatic disbelief is possible for situations where the unreality of your senses is extremely likely--such as when your hand can go right through a solid object. I would additionally point out that your hand going through a solid object, in the D&D universe, isn't 100% proof of an illusion in the philosophical sense, it's just proof in the common usage of the word. Quasi-real, ethereal, and contingent objects can and do occur in this world--it's just that sticking your hand through is such strong evidence that something is amiss, it makes the illusion easy to spot, if there is one. Thus, it's not so much "scientifically rigorous proof of an illusion" as "finding something definitely isn't right", which is all the rules actually require--finding something amiss, which lets you puzzle out and defeat the illusion.
This grants a saving throw, which is a subconscious (or conscious) attempt to ignore the reality of the illusion, due to minor details being strange. Sucess means that your mind was sufficiently forceful to ignore the existence of the illusion, making it transparent to you. Proof of it being an illusion makes such an attempt simple, and stong reasoning (my friend says it's fake) makes it easier. Repeatedly encountering inconsistiencies is explained by your subconscious, though unignorable proof allows another attempt or automatic success. When you fail a save, you were unable to ignore the illusion, reinforcing its reality to you, and probably causing you to subconsciously fail to note further inconsistiencies, with the exception of strong proof. I'm going on a bit of a tangent, but your mentioning the subconscious with regard to illusions brings in a real-world parallel that might help. The next time you're at a 3D movie, which presumably every person in the theater knows is simply an audio/visual projection with no substance, watch how many people will subtly lean/duck/flinch in response to what they see--and that's with the images even being distorted and only appearing correct from one angle. The senses are much more convincing than we tend to realize, even when our conscious is aware our senses are being fooled.

Now imagine the same situation, but without the theater, without the glasses, without the audience, without the distortions or need for one perspective, and without you knowing ahead of time that you're about to witness a projection...just one thing a little out-of-place in an otherwise possible situation.

Then make your save, or don't :smallcool:

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-09, 03:39 PM
Earlier, we specifically considered the case where the sucker has a conscious reason to doubt the reality of something, and you said, unless I'm much confused, that that circumstance would be a reason to make a save (or attempt to make a save). What you are saying now is that after attempting to make that save, if you do not succeed, you can no longer have that conscious doubt.

Is this accurate?

If so, then I cannot remotely understand how you can classify the spells in question as figments and (possibly) glamers, which are not mind effecting. That classification is definitional to spells such as Silent Image. "A figment spell creates a false sensation." It doesn't crawl into your brain, period.

MrNexx
2007-08-09, 03:50 PM
Apropos of nothing, I keep reading the title of this thread as "Live or MrNexx", which confuses the heck out of me.

tainsouvra
2007-08-09, 03:50 PM
Earlier, we specifically considered the case where the sucker has a conscious reason to doubt the reality of something, and you said, unless I'm much confused, that that circumstance would be a reason to make a save (or attempt to make a save). What you are saying now is that after attempting to make that save, if you do not succeed, you can no longer have that conscious doubt.

Is this accurate? A little more specifically, your character no longer has a reason to act on that conscious doubt. He has inspected the suspicious object to his satisfaction without finding anything amiss. Everything appears to be in order. Simply choosing to disbelieve despite his roll is not appropriate.
If so, then I cannot remotely understand how you can classify the spells in question as figments and (possibly) glamers, which are not mind effecting. That classification is definitional to spells such as Silent Image. "A figment spell creates a false sensation." It doesn't crawl into your brain, period. The entire point of an illusion is that it can fool you. Being fooled isn't some special mind-affecting ability, it's just plain being bamboozled. If you fail to disbelieve, you don't disbelieve, and shouldn't be deciding to disbelieve despite your roll.