PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Special Mounts (3.5)

VoxRationis
2017-07-17, 01:39 PM
Where can I find information on alternative special mounts for paladins? I looked on the d20 SRD and all I could find were references to riding dogs and sharks.

Dunsparce
2017-07-17, 01:54 PM
Dungeon Master's Guide pages 204 and 205 have rules for alternative Special Mounts. Outside of the listed options, they also give guidelines for choosing almost any other rideable creatures as mounts.

Some splatbooks(usually the environment-based ones) also add options.

Thurbane
2017-07-28, 11:34 PM
This is a decent list: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7972116&postcount=1

Flickerdart
2017-07-29, 07:07 PM
Dungeon Master's Guide pages 204 and 205 have rules for alternative Special Mounts. Outside of the listed options, they also give guidelines for choosing almost any other rideable creatures as mounts.
This is the real secret sauce for special mounts. The feat-based options are rubbish. Using these guidelines, a level 6 paladin can enjoy the services of a half-celestial light warhorse (CR2) which has useful, level-appropriate options and abilities. As a bonus, such a horse's mental stats (8 INT, 17 WIS, 10 CHA) may well be superior to the paladin's.

EnnPeeCee
2017-07-30, 01:26 AM
The Crystal Keep Indexes has a list of alternate Paladin Mounts in its' creature PDF. (I can't remember if the Crystal Keep Indexes are ok to link to here, but a quick google search will find it for you).
That list mostly has the ones from the DMG, but also has a few extras, like a few dinosaurs from Dragon Magazine, and a couple others. Thurbane's link looks far more complete though, minus the ones from Dragon Magazine.