PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a wizard backstory

Feederman111
2017-07-17, 01:55 PM
So, as long as I understand the traditions, you can easily create a backstory base on your tradition. For example Abjurer might be a guardian type, Diviner can be some sort of fortune teller,...

I really want to play a Transmuter right now, but I can't seem to find an idea for the backstory. The result is me being here asking (desparately begging) you for a fine backstory.
There're some condition, too:
1. No, not alchemist
2. I prefer some sort of "time" flavor because I really really like that Time Stop spell.

As always, sorry if my post written in bad English.
I'm off to sleep right now, so I will reply all nessesary comment later. Thank you in advance.

Lord Vukodlak
2017-07-17, 02:40 PM
So, as long as I understand the traditions, you can easily create a backstory base on your tradition. For example Abjurer might be a guardian type, Diviner can be some sort of fortune teller,...

I really want to play a Transmuter right now, but I can't seem to find an idea for the backstory. The result is me being here asking (desparately begging) you for a fine backstory.
There're some condition, too:
1. No, not alchemist
2. I prefer some sort of "time" flavor because I really really like that Time Stop spell.

As always, sorry if my post written in bad English.
I'm off to sleep right now, so I will reply all nessesary comment later. Thank you in advance.

A transmuter with a "time" flavor.... I actually have that, I wrote a two page backstory for Transmuter with a time flavor. Not sure how much it will help you but couldn't hurt. The short of it is he's a Transmuter because the wizard he learned magic from was performing experiments in reversing the passage of time on subjects.

Nigel Reinhart was born in 2364YCE to Rupert and Victoria Reinheart. He was raised in the city of [insert name here]. His father worked as a city administrator handling the day-to-day tasks the nobility couldn’t be bothered with. His mother Victoria died when he was very young and he has few memories of her. Growing up Nigel’s primary interest was in his books and spent much of his time reading. Rupert was a rather distant father and often left Nigel in the care of his aunt Sylvari (from his mother’s side) a half-elven sorceress who thought that little boys should be out playing and getting into scraps. She believed if he didn’t get his head out of the books once and a while he’d grow up and become a wizard or worse a politician.
During his teenage years he went through a rebellious phase becoming a bit of a hoodlum. With his gang of friends, Thomas, Phillip, William, Randall and Joyce they engaged in petty theft, vandalism and one count of Goblin tossing. (grabbing a goblin and tossing him through a store window).
This phase came to and end one dark summer night, while vandalizing an old mausoleum they were attacked by ghouls. Thomas and Phillip were set upon first once paralyzed the ghouls disregarded the others and began to feed. William, Nigel and Joyce managed to pull Randall to safety and escape the mausoleum but he latter succumbed to his injuries and died.
Afterwards Joyce joined the church in penance and Nigel returned to his studies eventually attaining the position as head librarian in the City’s grand library. As for William… he went down a darker path.

For the next twenty years, Nigel led a rather quite and peaceful life. The only moments that could be called exciting was a few times he helped various adventurers in there research. Sometimes to find some lost McGuffin or place but usually in how to handle the monster of the week.

It was in his forties that he met the elderly mage named Medivar. The wizard was a frequent visitor to the library and always in need of some research material. One day he asked Nigel if he’d like a permanent job as his research assistant promising to teach him real magic. Nigel politely declined he was quite happy with his current position and learning magic beyond the theoretical didn’t interest him. Medivar then offered him more then twice is current salary so naturally Nigel agreed.

Medivar was researching magic into the manipulation of time. Particularly reversing its effects on objects. Nigel suspected this had something to do with research into arcane life extension something outlawed by the church but had no direct evidence as the only living test subject was a small tree which was turned into a sapling.

Nigel also worked with another apprentice of Medivar, Judith a young woman far more interested in learning real magic then himself but with no real interested in the lore and theoretical side of it. Then little more then year before the start of the campaign there was an explosion. Something went wrong in the lab and in a near blinding flash Nigel saw Medivar age centuries in a matter of seconds. Grabbing whatever research materials and regents he could he fled before the mage’s tower collapsed.

Nigel quickly found he’d been contaminated by whatever magic Medivar was experimenting with and was de-aging at an accelerating rate. After six months he’d physically regressed to his early twenties. Using the research and regents he took from the tower Nigel was eventually able stabilize his condition to the point that he de-aged at the same rate other people aged normally. But by that point he was physically no older then thirteen by his own estimation.
Needing, research material and resources to cure himself, Nigel used his apparent age to pass himself off as a child genius and progeny to attain a job an Arcane advisor and researcher. He tilted himself Nigel Reinheart the 2nd in essence pretending to be his own son in order to maintain is old contacts more easily
It was this that brought Nigel into contact with Pondraco-de-Manilla.

A lot of that background is tailored to the campaign that's being run. The world doesn't host the traditional Polytheism of deities you normally find in D&D. The European style countries are dominated by a singular religion to one god. The Church's official position is that only god can grant live everlasting so arcane research into this area is forbidden. So Nigel is limited in his ability to seek help as he could be executed for blasphemy. The wizard himself is a variant human, sage background with the skilled trait. (I wanted all the intelligent skills). He's skilled in both medicine and herbalism as those things were part of the original time research. (our group has also long used the heal skill as kind of a forensics).
A lot of the background is also story hooks for the DM.

Vogie
2017-07-17, 04:13 PM
Perhaps someone who saw a time-related paradox, like someone being rapidly aged to death, or a prisoner being placed into temporal stasis.

A person who desired speed above all, which led them first into transmutation as a way to increase the speed of their bodies, then realized they could also increase their speed by slowing down others

A person who had a deep personal reason to want to turn back time, so they began starting to slow time down to a stop. They eventually want to be a full fledged Chronomancer and become unstuck by time.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-17, 04:20 PM
Simple idea: the character is obsessed with the idea that time and matter are the same, time simply being a different state of being. Thus, it should be possible to transmute the effects of time.

He presents this thesis to his master, or to an Academy of mages, only to be laughed out of the order (or thrown out).

The idea still consumes him, and he searches the world for evidence. His constant quest for knowledge leads him to a life of adventure.

Your end goal is the spell Time Stop. Sure enough, it's a ninth level transmutation. Maybe your character is on to something

Feederman111
2017-07-18, 01:38 AM
Thanks, your opinions help alot :D

follacchioso
2017-07-18, 06:13 AM
You may imagine a family of wizards with a tradition of being transmuters for generations. The founder of the family was obsessed with the desire of finding the permanent transmutation, of common materials into gold.

It turns out that your character is actually the founder of the dinasty, who has travelled over time, but forgot all his skills and spells due to an amnesy caused by time travel.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-18, 06:25 AM
Here are a few more:

1) Human, jealous of Elves (or high level Druids), wants to find immortality

2) Wants to go back in time to undo some personal tragedy

3) Distrusts the mythology stories of the Gods, so he/she wants to go back in time to see the true Origin of All Things

4) Since all things seem to be controlled by Time, sees it as the prime force of the universe and is playing with all the spells that seem to manipulate time to understand it

--

I could see some really interesting flavor here:

Blink is you moving in and out of the flow of time
Control Weather is you bringing in the weather from an earlier time at that same place
Feather Fall is manipulating the time it takes while you fall

This is a great idea!

smcmike
2017-07-18, 07:16 AM
As a child, he was obsessed with mortality, after witnessing his mother's death. He sought out a fortune teller at the traveling fair for reassurance. She was one of those mean old monkey paw fortune tellers, and she told him exactly how many seconds he had left to live. He has been counting down ever since, and is obsessed with making the numbers go the other way.

Feederman111
2017-07-18, 10:29 AM
Here are a few more:

1) Human, jealous of Elves (or high level Druids), wants to find immortality

2) Wants to go back in time to undo some personal tragedy

3) Distrusts the mythology stories of the Gods, so he/she wants to go back in time to see the true Origin of All Things

4) Since all things seem to be controlled by Time, sees it as the prime force of the universe and is playing with all the spells that seem to manipulate time to understand it

--

I could see some really interesting flavor here:

Blink is you moving in and out of the flow of time
Control Weather is you bringing in the weather from an earlier time at that same place
Feather Fall is manipulating the time it takes while you fall

This is a great idea!
I like the 4th one :D

strangebloke
2017-07-18, 10:31 AM
Just remember: You're playing a character, not a class. You have a class, but that shouldn't define your personality. How does your character feel about hugging? How does he feel about getting dirty or soaked with grime? What are his ethics and morals?