PDA

View Full Version : What Marvel Character would you vote for President?

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-07, 05:49 PM
I figure with the Marvel universe getting increasingly more political by the issue, and election year coming up, I was wondering out of all those politically involved Marvel characters, who would you elect President?

Dihan
2007-08-07, 05:55 PM
Galactus of course.

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 05:59 PM
Is this assuming we're American citizens of the MU US or we're the omniscient comic book readers? If its the former, I admit I'd vote for Iron Man. If its the latter, I'm unsure who would be most deserving of the job.

Koga
2007-08-07, 06:16 PM
Galactus of course.
Chtulhu for eight more years?:smalltongue:

I'll have to think about this. As yes Marvel has become more political, but also more angst. (If that were possible)

Logic
2007-08-07, 06:19 PM
I would vote for Hank Pym, if it were not for his habit of being a wife beater. Reed Richards would not be a bad choice, despite the fact that he supported registration in Civil War.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-07, 06:32 PM
Captain booping America.

The man knows how to get things done.

UglyPanda
2007-08-07, 06:33 PM
I'd vote for Thor if it weren't for the fact that he is an immigrant, and thusly can't become President. Due to that, I'd vote for Professor X because he's the only man in the Marvel universe who can't be lied to when it comes to foreign policy.

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 06:37 PM
Captain booping America.

Agreed. He might not be the smartest person on the planet, but he's a great leader. Besides, that's what a cabinet is for anyway.

Logic
2007-08-07, 06:38 PM
Captain booping America.

Well, if Steve Rogers had not been assasinated, I would have picked him as my first choice.

But Frank Castle? No, not really a good choice.

Hushdawg
2007-08-07, 06:40 PM
Ultimates Captain America

Now that's a soldier *AND* a leader.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-07, 06:40 PM
He may be dead, but he'll be back in time for the election.

Besides, who says you can't for a dead guy?

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 06:42 PM
Ultimates Captain America

Now that's a soldier *AND* a leader.

Sorry, but Ultimate Cap is way too gung ho to be widely accepted by the masses. I'm not saying he would be a bad president, but the unlikelihood of him being elected would be enough to not waste a vote on him.

Logic
2007-08-07, 07:21 PM
Sorry, but Ultimate Cap is way too gung ho to be widely accepted by the masses. I'm not saying he would be a bad president, but the unlikelihood of him being elected would be enough to not waste a vote on him.

Give him some time, he may mellow out eventually.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-07, 07:48 PM
I say Spider-Man. He looks out for the little guys, and has a great moral compass. He's also extremely likeable, and a guy I'd trust through and through.

It's often been commented that Peter would be able to accomplish so much more if he had access to real resources - well, how's being the President of the United States for resources?

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 07:51 PM
I don't think Peter is old enough to become President. One of the required qualifications is being at least 35 years old.

Tallis
2007-08-07, 07:57 PM
Dr Doom. He takes care of his own. Of course he's not eligible to be elected, but he could concievably take over while Reed Richards is away.

Spider-Man might be a good choice if he were old enough.

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 08:01 PM
Dr Doom. He takes care of his own. Of course he's not eligible to be elected, but he could concievably take over while Reed Richards is away.

Well, there's the issue of him being the head of state of a foreign power that doesn't exactly have friendly relations with the US.

Finn Solomon
2007-08-07, 08:15 PM
I'd vote Reed Richards, for all the reasons I picked him to be an Illuminati member. He'd win it hands down, but I see Reed as being rather Al Gore-ish; he can win it, but he doesn't want to. He'd much rather continue his scientific work and save the world.

Now Spider-Man is a great choice. Young and in touch, charismatic and funny with a hot wife, he could be the next JFK.

Logic
2007-08-07, 08:26 PM
I'd vote Reed Richards, for all the reasons I picked him to be an Illuminati member. He'd win it hands down, but I see Reed as being rather Al Gore-ish; he can win it, but he doesn't want to. He'd much rather continue his scientific work and save the world.

Now Spider-Man is a great choice. Young and in touch, charismatic and funny with a hot wife, he could be the next JFK.

I hadn't even put Spider-Man into consideration, because he was too young. However, I think he would be a great choice for president, but I don't think he could be elceted, because neither of the 2 popular parties would support him.

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 08:30 PM

Reed is a scientist, not a politician. He's not enough of a people-person to become president. I could see him on the cabinet, though.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-07, 08:38 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Whenever Dr. Doom takes over the world, everything turns out great, but then people overthrow him because "ZOMG! It's not democracy." So I don't think Doom will run for president.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-07, 09:12 PM
Huh. Didn't know about the 35+ requirement. Seems kinda artificial & arbitrary. Anyway, in that case, let's get started on the Peter Parker 2016 (2012? 2020?) campaign!

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-07, 09:14 PM
Cap. No questions asked. Short of him...Professor X is a great diplomatic person and leader...uh...Cyclops has led the X-men for just about his whole life...Spider-Man would be good, too, I guess...Nick Fury knows how to lead, that's for sure...

kpenguin
2007-08-07, 09:33 PM
Huh. Didn't know about the 35+ requirement. Seems kinda artificial & arbitrary. Anyway, in that case, let's get started on the Peter Parker 2016 (2012? 2020?) campaign!

Apparently, people who are 34 and younger don't have enough life experience to lead a nation. The youngest president ever elected was JFK at 43 years old.

Anyway, for future reference, the requirements are:

- 35+ years old
- Natural born citizen of the United States or been a citizen at the time of the Constitution's adoption
- Must have been a resident in the United States for at least 14 years

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-07, 11:38 PM
Galactus - Er.. don't think he was born in the U.S.... or on Earth... or in this galaxy.

Spider-Man - Too young, and personally I think he'd be seen too much as a cut-and-run guy. Even if he was old enough, the Daily Bugle would run such a big smear campaign bringing to light all his faults that I don't think he stands much of a chance.

Captain America - Don't really see him taking up politics as he's above that sort of thing, but I'd definitely vote for him given the chance. Tough to beat him campaign wise too. "Oh, so you say one candidate got three purple hearts and the other almost went to Vietnam? Well, I was pretty much the figurehead for the American army in World War II. Top that."

Reed Richards - As smart as he is, the guy hasn't been shown to make the best decisions. And I don't want Human Torch as secretary of anything. Thing for Secretary of Defense all the way though. At least in the Reed administration.

Professor X - Awesome leader, and he'd be the best person for foreign policy, but I'd put him as secretary of State. He'd push the mutant agenda too much otherwise.

Dr. Doom - Oh sure, if we want a guy whose campaign slogan is "Curse that blasted Reed Richards."

Iron Man - I'm surprised no one's mentioned Tony yet. He's been moving up in the political world since Civil War started. He has enough of a foundation to start his own campaign run, and plenty of grounds to gain support. He'd make the U.S. military the best in the world by far, and since he's already a CEO, I think he'd be less likely to cater towards other corporate interests.

Hulk - What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Squirrel Girl - Well, she may emphasize the squirrel agenda a little, but we all know she'd single-handedly balance the U.S. budget, elminate our debts, end world hunger and crime, and bring world peace by the end of her first six months. Too bad she's still too young though.

Stark/Rogers 08 ftw.

Tyrant
2007-08-08, 12:39 AM
Who would I vote for? Probably Captain America. You know he'll be back to life by then. Maybe either Nick Fury or Falcon for Vice President.
Prof. X for Secretary of State
Punisher for Attorney General
Iron Man to head up SEC
Dr. Strange for the newly created Secretary of Mystic Affairs
Beast as advisor on mutant affairs
Wolverine to be a test subject for the CDC and/or a ballistics dummy for the military
Hulk for UN ambassador (we need someone to stand against Russia when they decide to use the Abomination for their ambassador)
Hank Pym to head program to spread awareness of spousal abuse and ways to see and prevent it (purely for irony)
Speedball for drug czar (purely for the name and the irony it brings)
A legion of Multiple Men to oversee homeland security
Quicksilver to head FEMA
Nova as ambassador to space

As for would likely win if the major players suddenly decided the White House was the key to success: Apocalypse/Sinister. Using their shape shifting abilitites they appear as average American citizens. Both being master manipulators they promise everything at the right time. Apocalypse even plans on fulfilling the promise of using open warfare on their enemies (and them as well, but that is a suprise for another day). His administration:
Punisher for Attorney General (Frank Castle gets the job done no matter who's in charge)
Normin Osborn to head the SEC
War for Secretary of Defense
Pestilence to head the CDC
Famine to oversee agriculture
Death as UN ambassador
The Purple Man to head the FCC
Living Laser to oversee energy policy
Holocaust for Secretary of State
Dark Beast as advisor on mutant affairs
Living Monolith as Middle East emmisary
The Mandarin will advise Asian affairs
Ultron for technology czar
The Masters of Evil to replace FEMA
Infinites to oversee homeland security
The Super Skrull as ambassador to the Skrull Empire

Logic
2007-08-08, 12:41 AM
[Iron Man']d make the U.S. military the best in the world by far...
It has already happened in the real world. (The US makes up half of world military spending.)

But in the Marvel universe, Atlantis, Latveria, and Wakanda are probably the only other contenders.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-08, 12:53 AM
I would not vote for Stark. I don't care if he was running against a rubbed band. I would vote for the rubber band out of spite.

What about Deadpool/Lobo '08.
The Internet's most popular canditates not actually to exist.

kpenguin
2007-08-08, 01:18 AM
I would not vote for Stark. I don't care if he was running against a rubbed band. I would vote for the rubber band out of spite.

True, but would you do so if your were just a citizen of the 616 US and not an almighty reader?

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-08, 01:20 AM
What about Deadpool/Lobo '08.
The Internet's most popular canditates not actually to exist.

Well, the real question is how could they win the Squirrel Girl vote.

The Extinguisher
2007-08-08, 01:52 AM
Hell, I can't actually vote for him as an almighty reader.

DiscipleofBob, isn't Deadpool a member of the Great Lakes Initivate now? So he's got that vote.

psycojester
2007-08-08, 01:57 AM
Captain America - Don't really see him taking up politics as he's above that sort of thing, but I'd definitely vote for him given the chance. Tough to beat him campaign wise too. "Oh, so you say one candidate got three purple hearts and the other almost went to Vietnam? Well, I was pretty much the figurehead for the American army in World War II. Top that."

I'd love to see that debate. How exactly do you campaign against a man who fought Hitler and his super powered minions for the majority of WW2 and has spent the past 60 years dressed as the American flag?

Vuzzmop
2007-08-08, 02:24 AM
CA may be an uber-patriot, but cyclops (ultimate version) is a master tactician, is intelligent and a bit of a boy scout, all of which make good leadership qualities for a country which needs a great deal of leading. That said, the american populace would never vote him in, he's too much of a master tactician, intelligent boy scout.

kpenguin
2007-08-08, 02:26 AM
He's also far too caught up in his own angst to effectively motivate the masses.

Rob Knotts
2007-08-08, 04:34 AM
Dr Doom. He takes care of his own. Of course he's not eligible to be elected,Such rules are only for lesser men.
Well, there's the issue of him being the head of state of a foreign power that doesn't exactly have friendly relations with the US.See above.

Revlid
2007-08-08, 05:31 AM
I would vote for Hank Pym, if it were not for his habit of being a wife beater. Reed Richards would not be a bad choice, despite the fact that he supported registration in Civil War.

It's not a habit in the 616 universe; he beat her once when he was having a nervous breakdown (multiple personalities and all) caused by one of his villains. He was effectively insane at the time, and has shown nothing but (some would say excessive) guilt over it since the event. Hell, Peter Parker's hit MJ once, and that was just "in anger" as opposed to "in villain-induced insanity".

Ultimate Hank, on the other hand...

It has already happened in the real world. (The US makes up half of world military spending.)

He said best, not most expensive.

Anyway, Doom for President. He really is the best man for the job, Ultimate or otherwise.

† Dran †
2007-08-08, 05:44 AM
Cyclops gets my vote. heck hes already got the womanizing thing down pat.. after all who HASN'T he slept with yet? :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2007-08-08, 07:38 AM
I think I would elect Susan Storm as President of the USA.

She would be fair and just, would be the first female President, and you really can't assassinate her. She has also been seen to be very intelligent and caring. She has also slept with other world leaders, so the whole foreign policy thing would be far more relaxed.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-08, 08:26 AM
CA may be an uber-patriot, but cyclops (ultimate version) is a master tactician, is intelligent and a bit of a boy scout, all of which make good leadership qualities for a country which needs a great deal of leading. That said, the american populace would never vote him in, he's too much of a master tactician, intelligent boy scout.

"When Captain America steps out onto the stage, everyone, be he conservative, liberal or smurf, goes crazy. That's not the super-soldier serum. That's the man."

Aotrs Commander
2007-08-08, 10:36 AM

Damn straight.

True, but would you do so if your were just a citizen of the 616 US and not an almighty reader?

I certainly would, yes.

I was going to Wondra, automatically, but apparently she's too young.

Sod it, then. If the US won't have her, I say we make her become the UK's Prime Minister - no, better yet High Empress!

America can have Wolverine - oh, no, you can't have him (lucky for Canada, really) so...um...I don't know...Deadpool?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-08-08, 10:46 AM
616 universe, I vote for Green Scar Hulk. He could cut the military spending to nil- when we're faced with any serious threat, he goes out and smashes the enemies by himself because he enjoys it. Also, he's a surprisingly competent leader on a large scale.

Dalenthas
2007-08-08, 02:51 PM
Cap, pre-death, Stark afterward. I'd vote for the Rogers/Stark ticket. Twice!

Seriously, both have great experience leading, and a fairly good sense of what needs to be done to make this country the place it should be. Not that they always agree on what the country should be, but they both know what needs to be done to get it there.

sealemon
2007-08-08, 02:57 PM
I think I would elect Susan Storm as President of the USA.

She would be fair and just, would be the first female President, and you really can't assassinate her. She has also been seen to be very intelligent and caring. She has also slept with other world leaders, so the whole foreign policy thing would be far more relaxed.

Black Panther, if he wasn't an immigrant.

Otherwise, I agree that Rogers/Stark(Pre Civil War) would rock the presidency hard

T.Titan
2007-08-08, 04:31 PM
Seriously, both have great experience leading, and a fairly good sense of what needs to be done to make this country the place it should be. Not that they always agree on what the country should be, but they both know what needs to be done to get it there.

Yes, it's nice to have someone that understands that civil liberties need to be broken to keep the people safe... and builds gulags for those that are different by having powers and won't cooperate.

But he'd make a fine VP under Cap, to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Seraph
2007-08-08, 04:32 PM
Stephen Strange '08.

enemies? oh, they don't exist anymore, I banished them to the space between multiverses.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-08, 09:22 PM
Black Panther, if he wasn't an immigrant.

Otherwise, I agree that Rogers/Stark(Pre Civil War) would rock the presidency hard

yep. Everyone knows big businessmen are GREAT as vice-president

EDIT: political comments removed in interests of avoiding banning.

sealemon
2007-08-09, 10:54 AM
yep. Everyone knows big businessmen are GREAT as vice-president (*coughChenycough*)

Lol! I didn't even think of that. I just feel like Stark, when written true to character, would be a nice pragmatic balance to Roger's idealism. I think they make a great team, as most of the Avenger's run shows.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 10:59 AM
Monica Rambeau/Aaron Stack. Unfortunately, they're a black woman and an android, so they're probably unelectable, at least to real-world America. Maybe The Captain as Monica's VP to balance the ticket.

She used to run the Avengers, you know.

TheMeanDM
2007-08-09, 11:44 AM
nevermind

he's not Marvel

I was originally going to say Hal Jordan...but he's DC.

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-09, 12:53 PM
yep. Everyone knows big businessmen are GREAT as vice-president (*coughChenycough*)

(Disclaimer: I apologize for offending any of the 34%? (?) of people who support the Bush administration. I just couldn't resist throwing that in there).

Well just think what happens when Vice President Stark accidentally shoots Senator Richards in the face... with a repulsor blast...

comicshorse
2007-08-09, 01:16 PM
Daredevil.
Hard-working, intelligent, dedicated and with a profound social concsience.
Not to mention that whole I instantly know when you're lying to me thing he's got.

Indon
2007-08-09, 01:43 PM
Well just think what happens when Vice President Stark accidentally shoots Senator Richards in the face... with a repulsor blast...

I'm sure he'll bounce back!

As for Doom, he could have Latveria annexed into the US and thus obtain the presidency legitimately (read: with a mind control device).

I'd go with Prof. Xavier, though.

Dalenthas
2007-08-09, 03:44 PM

(Disclaimer: I apologize for offending any of the 34%? (?) of people who support the Bush administration. I just couldn't resist throwing that in there).

I notice you apologized to the Bush people but not to the Iron Man fans. Thanks.

ravenkith
2007-08-09, 07:57 PM
Sorry, but Iron Man 616 is a bad, bad, man.

Embezzler, thief, vigilante, alcoholic, liar, killer...all these are words that can be applied to Tony Stark.

He's broken so many laws it's not even funny.

Lest we forget, he hired the russian version of himself to assault spiderman, and that's the least of the poor choices he's made.

For years, he's been a schmuck womanizer...and an unrepentant proponent of big business....

He's the last bloody person that should be elected.

Peter Parker, if he weren't too young, would be perfect; he's intelligent, highly moral, and driven by a deep-seated need to use whatever power comes his way for the betterment of all the people he can help. He's beloved in NEw York, even if he is vilified by the bugle (which is, and always has been, a tabloid, IMHO), and most of the wworld sees him as a hero and someone to be admired, as has been shown in continuity. He could have a great effect.

Could you imagine a Parker/Richards or Parker/Rogers ballot? Un.stopp.able.

The only person in the marvel U who has a legit shot at getting the presidency and doing any good with it is Professor X at full power. Why?

He can control people's minds. All the people, if necessary. I simple whistle-stop tour around the country, and he'll have implanted a compulsion to vote for him in pretty much everybody in the states in four weeks.

He gets into office, he can control congress the same way.

Only problem? his morals would prevent him from taking it illegally, and his agenda and public status as a mutant prevents him from getting it through normal channels.

Now that I come to think of it, Emma Frost could and would do it...but she wouldn't be nearly as good for the job.

Hushdawg
2007-08-09, 08:07 PM

Be careful.. real world politics is forbidden topic.

you didn't offend me one bit, but someone might report you for a casual comment.

happened to me.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 09:20 PM
Monica. Rambeau. '08. Come on. Lead the Avengers, and Nextwave, two of the highest leadership qualities I can think of. She's not afraid to stand up for the little man against big business, and she has gubernatorial experience. She used to be Ms. Marvel at a time when the title didn't mean "complete bitch." She's from outside the normal Washington power structure and the Old Boy's Club of NYC superheroes. She'd be the perfect one to bring together the feuding factions of 616-USA's leadership, heal the wounds of the Civil War, and turn America's efforts in a united front against real threats.

Like Devil Dinosaur.

XBobbis
2007-08-09, 09:46 PM
I think I'd vote for Deadpool/Squirrel Girl.

Think about it, one of Deadpool's crazy antics puts the entire world on danger, and Squirrel Girl's plot armor saves the day! Not to mention Deadpool's State of the Unions would be hilarious.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-09, 09:51 PM
Now that I come to think of it, Emma Frost could and would do it...but she wouldn't be nearly as good for the job.

she'd look a lot better on currency, though.

Green Bean
2007-08-10, 01:42 AM
616 universe, I vote for Green Scar Hulk. He could cut the military spending to nil- when we're faced with any serious threat, he goes out and smashes the enemies by himself because he enjoys it. Also, he's a surprisingly competent leader on a large scale.

You see, that's the exact reason why I'd vote for Squirrel Girl.

kpenguin
2007-08-10, 01:55 AM
Embezzler, thief, vigilante, alcoholic, liar, killer...all these are words that can be applied to Tony Stark.

Maybe so, but he does it well. Loose morals don't make a bad leader.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-10, 06:33 AM
she'd look a lot better on currency, though.

hehe...

The pure terror of having a nigh-on indestructible mind-controller with loose morals commanding the most powerful state on Earth.... eep!

ravenkith
2007-08-10, 08:33 AM
Maybe so, but he does it well. Loose morals don't make a bad leader.

:smalleek:

You want to elect a womanizing murderer, thief and violent individual to the highest office in the land?

Seriously?

Not to mention the fact that recently, in his own book, he's been depicted as murdering 3-4 individuals and singlehandedly damaging US relations with various foreign powers...

This is the man you think should be President?

Uh, just say no to drugs man, k?

DDL
2007-08-10, 08:38 AM
There are so many obvious responses to that, but they all touch on real-world politics, which apparently is verboten.

So I'll just leave it to your imagination. :)

Dalenthas
2007-08-10, 08:47 AM
Sorry, but Iron Man 616 is a bad, bad, man.

Tony's never embezzled in his life. He might be the CEO of a company, but he got his money through merit, not through cheating. He's one of those rare-but-existant moralistic businessmen.

Theif? Really? Why would one of the richest men in the world need to steal?

Vigilante? He's one of the few superheros that are actually trying to work within the law! He's made a few bad choices in the past, but who hasn't?

Alcholoic? He quit years ago. Years.

Liar? What politician isn't?

Killer? Only when extreamly necessary. Again, half of our presidents are ex-military, its a good bet half of them have killed someone before.

As far as "murdering 3-4 individuals", let me see....
In Volume 4 (for the past year or two), he's voulntarily killed
1) A terrorist that would have killed him if he didn't, and he tried talking him down first.
2) An old man that was pretty much dead anyway (read: Covered in a giant sentient cancer that was eating a Helicarrier) and he was putting him out of his misery.
3) That's it. Unless you count mindless zombies.

Yes, he's killed a couple other people while under the effects of mind controll, but he can hardly be held accountable for that.

Honestly, I'm sick of these people demonizing Iron Man because they don't know what's really going on.

And remember kiddies:
CAPTAIN AMERICA WAS KILLED BY RED SKULL! IRON MAN WAS IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS DEATH!

ravenkith
2007-08-10, 09:02 AM
Well hey, obviously if we were in totalitarian USSR, circe 1950, this guy next to stalin looks like a putz.

But my point is, in a democracy, whoever runs against him is going to have one of the easiest and biggest smear campaigns of all time.

1. He's a big-businessman (contrary to popular opinion, this is not a good quality to have in your front man - the 'little guys' don't like it, and there are far more 'little guys' than big guys.).

2. He's an alcoholic. (Sure he's X days sober, but who can tell when he might go on a bender, and suddenly, hey, pushing that big red button doesn't seem like such a bad idea).

3. He's a murderer. While not convicted (it never went to trial and just 'went away' as far as I can tell), he's clearly been shown to have a contempt for life that will offend just about every religious individual in the country.

4. He's currently co-opted by Ultron in the Avenger's book - demonstrating his inability to keep himself secure, let alone a nation.

5. He's an embezzler - having stolen funds from his companies over the years to keep developing his Iron Man toys.

6. He's committed armed assault on government employees (Vault guardsmen, SHIELD Mandroids, Stingray)

7. He's committed assault against civilians (Stane, Hammer, etc), and cost the US military billions of dollars in R&D.

8. He's created international incidents, both recently and in the past, first by invading Russian airspace & conducting armed operations within it's borders, (killing the titanium man in the process) second, the three incidents during his recent killing spree.

9. He hired Crimson Dynamo to commit assault on Spiderman in an effort to manipulate the government.

and 10. He's a known womanizer.

If you add all of those up, it basically means that Stark has done enough, ten times over, to alienate most segments of voting public, if not driving them into the other party's camp outright.

NO FRICKING WAY THIS GUY COULD EVER GET ELECTED*.

*Barring, of course, that he use the extremis to hack into all the voting machines on the planet and alter the tally.

Dalenthas
2007-08-10, 09:31 AM
Well hey, obviously if we were in totalitarian USSR, circe 1950, this guy next to stalin looks like a putz.

But my point is, in a democracy, whoever runs against him is going to have one of the easiest and biggest smear campaigns of all time.

1. He's a big-businessman (contrary to popular opinion, this is not a good quality to have in your front man - the 'little guys' don't like it, and there are far more 'little guys' than big guys.).

Hasn't stopped a lot of people both in the past and currently from being elected.

2. He's an alcoholic. (Sure he's X days sober, but who can tell when he might go on a bender, and suddenly, hey, pushing that big red button doesn't seem like such a bad idea).

X days being... well, Marvel's sliding timescale makes it hard to say, but it's been a loooong while. Again, hasn't stopped people in the past.

3. He's a murderer. While not convicted (it never went to trial and just 'went away' as far as I can tell), he's clearly been shown to have a contempt for life that will offend just about every religious individual in the country.

Self-defense is not murder. Especially when he tried everything else before resorting to killing.

4. He's currently co-opted by Ultron in the Avenger's book - demonstrating his inability to keep himself secure, let alone a nation.

This isn't reality. In the Marvel Universe no one is safe from mind control. Hell, if it weren't for every writer these days thinking it'd be fun, I'd say Tony is more resistant to mind control than other people due to his experience fighting mind control villains (The Mandarin, the Controller, etc etc).

5. He's an embezzler - having stolen funds from his companies over the years to keep developing his Iron Man toys.

Again, he earned his money, never stole funds. CEOs make a lot of money these days, without stealing.

6. He's committed armed assault on government employees (Vault guardsmen, SHIELD Mandroids, Stingray)

Alright, I'll give you that one, though it didn't prevent him from becoming first the Secretary of Defense and currently the head of SHIELD.

7. He's committed assault against civilians (Stane, Hammer, etc), and cost the US military billions of dollars in R&D.

Since when are supervillains considered civilians? And cost the US military? Why, so they can build IM countermeasures? If anything, electing him would reduce the military R&D budget by half or less!

8. He's created international incidents, both recently and in the past, first by invading Russian airspace & conducting armed operations within it's borders, (killing the titanium man in the process) second, the three incidents during his recent killing spree.

Again, mind control, and Russia never saw fit to attack the US for it.

9. He hired Crimson Dynamo to commit assault on Spiderman in an effort to manipulate the government.

First, it was the new Titanium Man, not Crimson Dynamo, second, that storyline made no sense whatsoever.

and 10. He's a known womanizer.

::coughJFKcough::

If you add all of those up, it basically means that Stark has done enough, ten times over, to alienate most segments of voting public, if not driving them into the other party's camp outright.

Except in the current continuity he's the most popular superhero among the voting public. Gee....

NO FRICKING WAY THIS GUY COULD EVER GET ELECTED*.

*Barring, of course, that he use the extremis to hack into all the voting machines on the planet and alter the tally.

The thread isn't who could get elected, its who would you vote for.
And besides, he wouldn't want the job anyway. As far as using Extremis to cheat the vote, he'd never do that.
You seem to forget that he's still a morally decent person. He decided to become a superhero because its the right thing to do, not for any other inane reason some heros become these days. He could have just as easily become a villain if he wanted to. Then he would get elected (due to Extremis, not to be taken as a comment on the voting public electing bad people).

Like the SHRA thread, this is my last post on this thread, more because of fear of it becoming politcal than argumentative stalemate.

ravenkith
2007-08-10, 09:48 AM
Stuff.

You, uh, actually need to read the books pretty bad. Your interpretation of events is incorrect.

Oh, and it's been pretty explicit in the past that he's been siphoning money off from his corporate accounts and sidde-deals and hiding it from the IRS in order to pay for his hobby.

Hrm...didn't they end up taking Capone down for tax evasion...?

Except in the current continuity he's the most popular superhero among the voting public. Gee....

He's been shown to be highly popular with a vocal minority. Specifically the mom of one of the kids at the disaster site.

Even his own team thinks he's becoming a bit of an ass.

...which might have something to do with the fact that he helped make a Thor clone that killed the one smart black superhero...

"Hey, don't worry! Look, if you die, Tony can replace you with an exact copy. Look what it did for Thor!"

Oh and since Thor's back now, and all, in theory, it should be a short while before the thunder-god gets wind of this whole mess and comes for a ...'chat'. I'm looking forward to that.

The thread isn't who could get elected, its who would you vote for.
And besides, he wouldn't want the job anyway. As far as using Extremis to cheat the vote, he'd never do that.
You seem to forget that he's still a morally decent person. He decided to become a superhero because its the right thing to do, not for any other inane reason some heros become these days. He could have just as easily become a villain if he wanted to. Then he would get elected (due to Extremis, not to be taken as a comment on the voting public electing bad people).

Throughout all the books lately, he has been depicted as someone who is most decidedly NOT moral.

He's been abusing his power, manipulating people in underhanded ways, and just, in general, being a shmuck.

As to voting for the guy...I'm just pointing out that Tony Stark/Iron Man has done enough recently and in the past to indicate that most normal people (read: not fans) would not vote for him.

...and just in case my length and breadth of Iron Man knowledge went over your head....I'M a fan (of the character, and disregarding what he's been up to lately as bad writing, alien manipulation, or Ultron seeping through).

Like the SHRA thread, this is my last post on this thread, more because of fear of it becoming politcal than argumentative stalemate.

This is not political - this is based on the facts as presented to us in the comic book source material. Tony Stark is a very bad man, as he is currently depicted, and going mad with power... NO-ONE should vote for him.

Dalenthas
2007-08-10, 10:23 AM
Alright, I'm bored at work and I can't resist a good debate.

You, uh, actually need to read the books pretty bad. Your interpretation of events is incorrect.

I've read all of IM vol #4, the main Civil War book, the Amazing Spider-Man Civil war TPB, Ms. Marvel, Frontline, and New Avengers. What books exactly to I need to read bad? Please, I'm wondering which events you speak of that I'm interpreting incorrectly. (No sarcasm here)

Oh, and it's been pretty explicit in the past that he's been siphoning money off from his corporate accounts and sidde-deals and hiding it from the IRS in order to pay for his hobby.

Hrm...didn't they end up taking Capone down for tax evasion...?

Issue numbers? Every issue I've read (admittedly not much from Vol #1, and almost none from Vol #3) he's been portrayed as a good honest businessman, and most of his corporate troubles are him vs the Board wanting to do less than ethical things.

He's been shown to be highly popular with a vocal minority. Specifically the mom of one of the kids at the disaster site.

And numerous unnamed civilians.

Even his own team thinks he's becoming a bit of an ass.

Most good leaders are.

...which might have something to do with the fact that he helped make a Thor clone that killed the one smart black superhero...

"Hey, don't worry! Look, if you die, Tony can replace you with an exact copy. Look what it did for Thor!"

Oh and since Thor's back now, and all, in theory, it should be a short while before the thunder-god gets wind of this whole mess and comes for a ...'chat'. I'm looking forward to that.

That... was to create an interesting fight. Plus, that splash page where Thor first (re)appears is freaking sweet. Yes, its bad that Thor killed Goliath, but I blame that more on Pym than Tony (yes, fan bias, but also because Pym's more of a jerk).

Throughout all the books lately, he has been depicted as someone who is most decidedly NOT moral.

He's been abusing his power, manipulating people in underhanded ways, and just, in general, being a shmuck.

And the books this have been shown in go through great efforts to show that if Tony thought there was any other way to get things done, he would. He's willing to do bad things if necessary, but he'd rather not.

As to voting for the guy...I'm just pointing out that Tony Stark/Iron Man has done enough recently and in the past to indicate that most normal people (read: not fans) would not vote for him.

And most normal people (read: not fans) blame him for everything that's wrong with the MU. Does he deserve it? Hell no! Do they blame him anyway? Yes, because it is easy.

...and just in case my length and breadth of Iron Man knowledge went over your head....I'M a fan (of the character, and disregarding what he's been up to lately as bad writing, alien manipulation, or Ultron seeping through).

Oooh Ultron seeping through, I never thought of that. I just assumed it was bad writing.

This is not political - this is based on the facts as presented to us in the comic book source material. Tony Stark is a very bad man, as he is currently depicted, and going mad with power... NO-ONE should vote for him.

Fine, you've convinced me to rejoin this thread.

Blue Paladin
2007-08-10, 10:58 AM
Dalenthas, I'm pretty sure ravenkith is referring to events that occurred much earlier than Civil War... As in Iron Man through the eighties and nineties. I don't even know what issues those were.

In an unrelated note, ravenkith and I agree on something! When has that ever happened?!

ravenkith
2007-08-10, 11:13 AM
Alright, I'm bored at work and I can't resist a good debate.

Debate is good: as other, greater people have said before me, I may not agree with what you say, but I'd defend to the death your right to say it.

I've read all of IM vol #4, the main Civil War book, the Amazing Spider-Man Civil war TPB, Ms. Marvel, Frontline, and New Avengers. What books exactly to I need to read bad? Please, I'm wondering which events you speak of that I'm interpreting incorrectly. (No sarcasm here)

Is the Armor Wars storyline familiar to you at all? I mean, if you can find a copy, it is one of the best-written depictions of Iron Man I have ever seen.

He's pragmatic, obsessive-compulsive, a troubled alcoholic...all in all a very flawed human being just trying to do the right thing...which is, incidentally, when Iron Man, the comic book character, is at his best.

Oh, and specifically, the error that made me question whether you were up to date: Titanium man is dead, the suit was destroyed; the person he hired to beat up on Spidey was definitely Crimson Dynamo.

One thing I'd like to point out: while Tony'd been hacked, this fact is NOT apparent to the public. Nor is it clear that Tony shows any remorse for his part in the killings, at least beyond a couple of words. Time was, he'd be pretty broken up about killing someone; anyone. He certainly hasn't submitted himself for trial in those countries, now that the world (once again) knows he's Iron Man.

Issue numbers? Every issue I've read (admittedly not much from Vol #1, and almost none from Vol #3) he's been portrayed as a good honest businessman, and most of his corporate troubles are him vs the Board wanting to do less than ethical things.

Geez, you're talking about 300+ issues of comics now. I don't remember where I saw it precisely, but I suspect it may have been mentioned in the Armor Wars storyline.

I do know for a fact that he has been portrayed as conducting shady deals in the past; his deal with CD isn't the first time he's done something questionable in order to make things break his way.

And numerous unnamed civilians.

More of the highly vocal minority - or at least, that's the impression I was getting from his interactions with them at the time.

Most good leaders are.

I might have to concede that. Winston Churchill is a great example of an incredible leader, who, at times, could be a total ass. There are some really famous quotes attributed to him that are extremely rude, for instance.

But it doesn't change the fact that Tony's being an ass before he's elected.

That... was to create an interesting fight. Plus, that splash page where Thor first (re)appears is freaking sweet. Yes, its bad that Thor killed Goliath, but I blame that more on Pym than Tony (yes, fan bias, but also because Pym's more of a jerk).

Agreed. The splash page was an awesome, stunning visual. I particularly liked the looks on some of the heroes faces.

The fact is though, the Thor clone was Tony's plan (he provided the hair from way back, apparently), and as such, he is the one ultimately responsible for it.

It's also canon, which means...he, Reed Richards, and Hank Pym had a hand in creating a cyborg that killed someone. It just doesn't look good on the resume.

And the books this have been shown in go through great efforts to show that if Tony thought there was any other way to get things done, he would. He's willing to do bad things if necessary, but he'd rather not.

This is supposedly one of the smartest men on Earth, and he can't figure out that having a full-on, knock-down, hard-nose, drag-out battle between super-people in the middle of New York City is a bad idea?

He honestly can't think of anything better than that? Honestly?

I call balls on that, I'm sorry, I do. There are at least 20 better plans than what Stark decided to go with, a big part of which would include intercepting his targets elsewhere.

I mean, for crying out loud, he's got stealth fiends: have one slip a tracer on Cap or something, wait until they've returned to base, and hit them there, instead....right there, that makes the fight in New York City unnecessary.

And most normal people (read: not fans) blame him for everything that's wrong with the MU. Does he deserve it? Hell no! Do they blame him anyway? Yes, because it is easy.

As of Civil War? Actually, he's kind of the central figure responsible for the SHRA, which makes him the frontman and the logical target to blame.

Also he's been parading around in a proven combat suit that demonstrates it's ability to make trained users the equal of most superhuman threats on a nearly daily basis, and instead of sharing that technology with the authorities, he's been guarding it jealously like a kid with a toy.

If every cop in America had an Iron Man suit, and was trained in it's use, that, right there, would virtually eliminate super-crime.

So, one can make a fairly decent case that yes, everything thats wrong with the MU can be tracked back to Tony.

Oooh Ultron seeping through, I never thought of that. I just assumed it was bad writing.

I'm hoping we find out Ultron has been trying to take Tony over subtly for months, and his actions before, during and after the Civil War are all a result of the gradual erosion of his personality that Ultron was attempting, and that him acting out of character, was, in fact, desperate cries for help from his subconscious, hoping people would notice that there was something wrong.

At this point, it's pretty much the only way (besides making him a Skrull) to redeem the character from the caricature of the evils of corporate greed that he has become.

Fine, you've convinced me to rejoin this thread.

Yay! Debate!

StudlyDuck
2007-08-10, 01:05 PM
This is supposedly one of the smartest men on Earth, and he can't figure out that having a full-on, knock-down, hard-nose, drag-out battle between super-people in the middle of New York City is a bad idea?

I call balls on that, I'm sorry, I do. There are at least 20 better plans than what Stark decided to go with, a big part of which would include intercepting his targets elsewhere.

Assuming you're referring to the last brawl in Civil War, that really wasn't his idea. He attempted to ambush the anti-registration heroes in the Negative Zone prison. It was Cloak who teleported them to the middle of New York.

kpenguin
2007-08-10, 01:11 PM
:smalleek:

You want to elect a womanizing murderer, thief and violent individual to the highest office in the land?

Seriously?

Not to mention the fact that recently, in his own book, he's been depicted as murdering 3-4 individuals and singlehandedly damaging US relations with various foreign powers...

This is the man you think should be President?

Uh, just say no to drugs man, k?

Like I said, loose morals in no ways mean a bad leader. It could mean a cold-hearted, ruthless one, but it doesn't mean a bad one. After all:

Adolf Hitler brought his country back from the brink of economic despair to a world superpower. If that doesn't say anything about his leadership qualities, I'm not sure anything else does.

Napoleon restored order to revolutionary France, effective ending the Reign of Terror, and made what was once a rotting nation, an mighty empire that stretched accross continental Europe.

Stalin made what was a backwards, poor nation into a superpower that was able to take on Nazi Germany.

Now, these people were all dictators, which I can't see IM ever becoming. The United States being a democracy would probably prevent IM from gathering enough power to single-handedly making the mistake that doomed Hitler and Napoleon: making every nation in the world pissed off at him.

Dalenthas
2007-08-10, 01:36 PM
Is the Armor Wars storyline familiar to you at all? I mean, if you can find a copy, it is one of the best-written depictions of Iron Man I have ever seen.

He's pragmatic, obsessive-compulsive, a troubled alcoholic...all in all a very flawed human being just trying to do the right thing...which is, incidentally, when Iron Man, the comic book character, is at his best.

I'm familiar with the story, but I haven't read the actuall comics.

Oh, and specifically, the error that made me question whether you were up to date: Titanium man is dead, the suit was destroyed; the person he hired to beat up on Spidey was definitely Crimson Dynamo.

I read that issue. He was big and green. Last time I checked Green is not Crimson. Wikipedia also agrees with me. The origional Titanium Man may be dead, but the guy that attacked Spidey was definately a Titanium Man.

One thing I'd like to point out: while Tony'd been hacked, this fact is NOT apparent to the public. Nor is it clear that Tony shows any remorse for his part in the killings, at least beyond a couple of words. Time was, he'd be pretty broken up about killing someone; anyone. He certainly hasn't submitted himself for trial in those countries, now that the world (once again) knows he's Iron Man.

Defense Secretary Kooning and SHIELD did a pretty good job covering that up, so the public doesn't even know about it.

Geez, you're talking about 300+ issues of comics now. I don't remember where I saw it precisely, but I suspect it may have been mentioned in the Armor Wars storyline.

I do know for a fact that he has been portrayed as conducting shady deals in the past; his deal with CD isn't the first time he's done something questionable in order to make things break his way.

Shady deals... I'll accept. Embezzeling though? That's just not Tony.

More of the highly vocal minority - or at least, that's the impression I was getting from his interactions with them at the time.

I was under the impression that the majority favored the SHRA and IM. Saying that they're the "vocal minority" while there's no evidence otherwise is kinda silly, IMHO.

I might have to concede that. Winston Churchill is a great example of an incredible leader, who, at times, could be a total ass. There are some really famous quotes attributed to him that are extremely rude, for instance.

But it doesn't change the fact that Tony's being an ass before he's elected.

Churchill didn't become an ass when he took office, just nobody noticed till then.

Agreed. The splash page was an awesome, stunning visual. I particularly liked the looks on some of the heroes faces.

The fact is though, the Thor clone was Tony's plan (he provided the hair from way back, apparently), and as such, he is the one ultimately responsible for it.

It's also canon, which means...he, Reed Richards, and Hank Pym had a hand in creating a cyborg that killed someone. It just doesn't look good on the resume.

Expierience: Created a cybornetic clone of a Thunder God. Clone acted within the boundries of the law.

As distastefull as Bill Foster's death was, truth is that he was attacking a legally backed individual. You come at a police officer like that and damn straight you'll get shot.

Actually, he engaged them first at an abandoned chemical plant and then in the frakking Negative Zone. It's Cloak's fault the fight ended up in Times Square.

I mean, for crying out loud, he's got stealth fiends: have one slip a tracer on Cap or something, wait until they've returned to base, and hit them there, instead....right there, that makes the fight in New York City unnecessary.

And as soon as they entered NYC the first thing IM did was order an evacuation of the area in an attempt to minimize civilian casualties. The anti-registration heroes are the ones that decided to continue the fight in a populated area.

As of Civil War? Actually, he's kind of the central figure responsible for the SHRA, which makes him the frontman and the logical target to blame.

He didn't write the SHRA, or even put it into effect. He mearly enforced it so that "someone worse" wouldn't. He was trying to prevent something far, far worse from happening, which you'd get if you read Rubicon (it's available at the beginning of the IM Civil War TPB).

Also he's been parading around in a proven combat suit that demonstrates it's ability to make trained users the equal of most superhuman threats on a nearly daily basis, and instead of sharing that technology with the authorities, he's been guarding it jealously like a kid with a toy.

If every cop in America had an Iron Man suit, and was trained in it's use, that, right there, would virtually eliminate super-crime.

And begin a totalitarian state the likes of which the world has never seen. Judge Dredd anyone? The Iron Man armor costs a billion dollars, and if even one cop goes rogue you have a crisis on your hands. No, I like Tony keeping his toys to himself thank you.

So, one can make a fairly decent case that yes, everything thats wrong with the MU can be tracked back to Tony.

I could make a better case tracing it back to Nick Fury, Wanda Maximoff, or even Charles Xavier, but that's a different topic.

I'm hoping we find out Ultron has been trying to take Tony over subtly for months, and his actions before, during and after the Civil War are all a result of the gradual erosion of his personality that Ultron was attempting, and that him acting out of character, was, in fact, desperate cries for help from his subconscious, hoping people would notice that there was something wrong.

At this point, it's pretty much the only way (besides making him a Skrull) to redeem the character from the caricature of the evils of corporate greed that he has become.

Yay! Debate!
Other than still arguing the point about corporate greed, I agree.

In IM vol.4 issue 2 or 3 he's on a teleconference with the board of SI, and they want to take arms contracts to fund the R&D department and Tony says "No".

Raptor Jesus
2007-08-11, 08:28 AM
I'd force Marvel to make a comic out of me, then choose myself. LOL.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-13, 05:28 PM
She-hulk for president!

Matt Murdock or Foggy Nelson could work.

Otherwise Aunt May.

Gundato
2007-08-13, 07:29 PM
It is kind of funny, but apparently there was a story arc involving people trying to vote for Captain America as president. I forget the details, but I recall him refusing for some pretty damned good reasons.

Personally, as much of a snake as Tony Stark is, I would vote for him. Sure the guy has a horrible past (and not much better of a present), but so did Winston Churchill. And, while I am opposed to most of his recent decisions (as a Marvel Comics Reader) I would full-heartedly support them as a citizen of the Marvel-version of the United States. Getting a bit more control over a bunch of insanely powerful (and usually mentally unstable) individuals? Not sure if I would want it to go that far, but I would definitely support some form of that if I didn't see it through the eyes of Peter Parker or Steve Rogers. Sending a rampaging monster into space? I sure don't want my house crushed by one of The Hulk's hissy fits.

I like Nick Fury, Frank Castle, and Deadpool as well, but the former can be just as bad as Tony Stark with a military mindset, Frank is a psychotic mass murderer, and the latter is a (lovable) psychotic mass murderer.

WitchSlayer
2007-08-14, 01:50 AM
Warren Kennith Worthington III and Henry McCoy. (Both X-men)

Hushdawg
2007-08-14, 10:08 AM
So you want a spoiled rich kid and a guy who claims to know everything and talks down to everyone?

Isn't that what we've already got?

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-14, 10:11 AM
Huh. 35. Not exactly "old". I always figured it was like 40 or 50, given how many old farts got in the last few times.:smalltongue:

I say Spider-man. His comic's at least what, 40? :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-14, 10:40 AM
While 35 is the nominal limit, the youngest president ever elected was John F. Kennedy, at 43. Compared to most other politicians, the guy was practically still in college, and his image matched that.

WitchSlayer
2007-08-14, 06:08 PM
Well no, but he probably would get voted for anyway if he ran. I mean who would vote against an angel?

Binary Stars
2007-08-15, 03:54 AM
Barring Parker, due to age, I'd probably go for a Strange/McCoy ballot. I considered Daredevil, but I kind of don't trust Murdock, he's done some pretty crazy stuff at times. So many of the good candidates are inelligable due to their citizenship status, age, etc. :smallfrown:

Stam
2007-08-15, 02:19 PM
Graviton. He was actually shaping up into a nice, responsible person, the last time he died.

Jolt/Counter-Earth Bucky. Gotta love a young mind with its fresh, idealistic approach to life's issues.

Zemo. Obvious.

Captain America - now that would be something to see, flag-face actually having to politik the country!

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-15, 03:15 PM
Well no, but he probably would get voted for anyway if he ran. I mean who would vote against an angel?

Liberals.

The majority of the Democratic party.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-15, 03:52 PM
Hey now, that's venturing into real-world politics again.

(Although I am a registered Democrat, and I did laugh).

I don't think Captain America would do so well tied to a political office. Idealism and charisma are both good qualities, but I don't think he has the right mindset for dealing with other politicians, even ignoring Civil War.

Also, Doom would totally find some way of "legitimately" running, even if it meant letting the US annex Latveria.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-17, 09:44 PM
Cap is the one guy who WOULD, without a doubt, win. He is (I refuse to call him dead, he'll be back, no questions asked) the most popular super-hero in the MU.

Daredevil would be good too...Hmm...Rogers/Murdock in '08?

Drider
2007-08-17, 10:40 PM
1. Uatu, the watcher
2. Silver Surfer
3. Thor
4. Magneto
5.(depending on the continuity,alternate universe, there a some kingpins i'd vote for, but others, not so much)

Foeofthelance
2007-08-17, 11:39 PM
Hmm, out of all of the Marvel characters, I now realize that there are very few who would make a good president. Sorry, I wouldn't vote for Iron Man, but no. IIRC one of the more recent books mentioned that he had a daycare established on the SHIELD Helicarrier for morale reasons. Granted, that makes sense, considering people will fight harder when they know their own offpsring is in danger, and that getting to see the kids is fine, but considering the number of times a month that the Helicarrier gets attacked this just seems like such a stupid idea. You're just begging for a stray shot to end up wiping out the crew's progeny. Tony's biggest problem in my mind is that he's an incredibly intelligent man with the resources to enact his plans, but who unfortunately considers all things equal.

If I was going to pick anyone, it would probably be Jean Grey. Having a President backed by the Pheonix Force would do wonders both internationally and at home, even if she was only willing to use it sparingly. Hank McCoy probably as VP. Yeah he thinks he knows it all and talks down to people, but that's because he does know it all and has earned the right to talk down to people. Otherwise, I don't know. There really aren't too many good choices. The Vision maybe? With a Sentinel as VP?

Finn Solomon
2007-08-18, 12:15 AM
Voting the Vision president? He'd give all computers citizenship and we'd all be forced to work for them.

Rama_Lei
2007-08-18, 08:20 PM
Hank McCoy. Brilliant, Athletic, Charming, Caring. And he's a teddy bear.

Or Kitty Pryde, but she already won once.

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-19, 11:49 AM
1. Uatu, the watcher
2. Silver Surfer
3. Thor
4. Magneto
5.(depending on the continuity,alternate universe, there a some kingpins i'd vote for, but others, not so much)

All ineligible candidates because none of them were born in the United States.

Dalenthas
2007-08-19, 04:12 PM
The daycare on the Helicarrier is only in operation while it is in port, not while it's out doing dangerous things.
Oh, and if you want to vote Vision, why not just vote Simon Williams (Wonder Man) instead? He's who the Vision's brain was patterened on, plus he's, you know, human.

Another good possibility: Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel). She's got the military background and force of will to make a decent president.

Green Bean
2007-08-19, 04:44 PM
Or Kitty Pryde, but she already won once.

You have piqued my interest. Care to explain further? :smallconfused:

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-19, 04:47 PM
Apocolypse

I hate people.

Err. Guess I need a running mate. Thanos perhaps?

Jerthanis
2007-08-20, 01:03 PM
You have piqued my interest. Care to explain further? :smallconfused:

In Claremont's X-Men: The End, which depicted a non-canon "end" or last story of the series started 10 years in the future or something as Kitty Pryde was running for Mayor of Chicago, and in the comic, she won the position. The last few pages of the comic were 10 (or so) years in the future from that point, and showed a Kitty Pryde flying on Air Force One and giving a speech as President.

I'd totally vote for Kitty Pryde.

Overwhelmingly, comic book characters are between 15 and 30 years old, unsurprisingly, because that's the biggest percentage of their audience. Because of that, it's hard to say.

Apocolypse

I hate people.

Err. Guess I need a running mate. Thanos perhaps?

They have incompatible philosophies... Survival of the Fittest and Nihilistic Death worship? Also, Thanos would be the primary name on the ticket. (IMO)

Somebloke
2007-08-22, 01:18 PM
Cyclops gets my vote. heck hes already got the womanizing thing down pat.. after all who HASN'T he slept with yet? :smallwink:

Personally, I see Cyclop's relationships causing him some degree of trouble...

"Isn't it true, Mr. Candidate, that your dead wife has repeatedly attempted to destroy the universe?

"Yes, but then we killed her. Both of them."

(silence).

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-22, 11:20 PM
Personally, I see Cyclop's relationships causing him some degree of trouble...

"Isn't it true, Mr. Candidate, that your dead wife has repeatedly attempted to destroy the universe?

"Yes, but then we killed her. Both of them."

(silence).

Yes, but then who wouldn't vote for a President who is the Star Wars program?:smallbiggrin:

North
2007-08-22, 11:41 PM
Im going to be boring and go with Captain America. Hes the man. I have no problem trusting him to lead the states. But im Canadian so I cant vote.

Dalenthas
2007-08-23, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of dissapointed ravenkith dissapeared from this thread... we were having such a fun debate.

Oh, and I wanted to point out that upon re-reading the comic where Spider-Man gets attacked by a villain hired by Iron Man... Tony actually says out loud "It's the Titanium Man". So yeah, definately not the Crimson Dynamo.

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 01:01 PM
I'm kind of dissapointed ravenkith dissapeared from this thread... we were having such a fun debate.

Oh, and I wanted to point out that upon re-reading the comic where Spider-Man gets attacked by a villain hired by Iron Man... Tony actually says out loud "It's the Titanium Man". So yeah, definately not the Crimson Dynamo.

Perhaps he thought you won and left with tail between his legs in shame.

Nah. Nobody wins on internet debates.

Anyway, I would totally go for the Rogers-Stark ticket.

Tekren
2007-09-02, 10:22 PM
Susan Richards for president
Matt Murdock for Veep

Susan is caring, hyper-intelligent, DIPLOMATIC, has a nigh-perfect moral compass and would be able to... draw together various political enemies by choosing the right words.- basically what the president should be doing. Can 'mix it up' casually with the common man/woman without having secret service along to dampen the mood.
Matt Murdock is a lawyer, (helps to understand what an administration can and cannot do) intelligent, strong moral compass, hard-working, can tell when people are lying and/or 'overhear' talking on the other end of the room in hushed voices during negotiations.

why they would win
New York, Florida(those retirees), California, all the female voters hoping for, well, the PERFECT female candidate, disabled voters, 2/3rds of all lawyers, nearly all liberals, Catholics, superhero fans and nearly all enviromentalists. (I promise to nag my husband into developing implementable green technology one hour a week)

Seriously, that would work... and Namor wouldn't invade for 4-8 years.