PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Sequester spell save

kahlzun
2017-07-17, 05:59 PM
Hi there, I am reviewing the spells in the DMG, and came across an odd one, Sequester.

From my reading of it (the SRD version, anyway) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sequester.htm) it seems to imply that there are no saves if using it against a creature.

Specifically it states:

Saving Throw: None or Will negates (object)

which I believe implies Will saves only applies to objects.

Please advise if correct.

Zanos
2017-07-17, 06:24 PM
Target: One willing creature or object (up to a 2-ft. cube/level) touched
It's only a coma if they accept the spell.

kahlzun
2017-07-17, 06:29 PM
It's only a coma if they accept the spell.

Ah, I missed that bit from the SRD. Cheers.

Anxe
2017-07-17, 09:30 PM
So if you sequester an object that's held by an unwilling creature, then there's a saving throw?

Crake
2017-07-17, 10:15 PM
So if you sequester an object that's held by an unwilling creature, then there's a saving throw?

According to the spell, the will save is for attended, or magical objects, so a magical object will get a save regardless of whether it's being tended or not. Magical objects have saving throws equal to 2+1/2 their caster level.

Also, it's worth noting that for spells that require a willing target, unconscious targets are automatically considered willing, so sequester could also be cast on a sleeping (or knocked out) target with no save.

Thurbane
2017-07-28, 11:06 PM
Also, it's worth noting that for spells that require a willing target, unconscious targets are automatically considered willing, so sequester could also be cast on a sleeping (or knocked out) target with no save.

This might be pointless RAW pedantry, but are sleeping and unconscious treated as being the same in D&D?