PDA

View Full Version : Tales From the Yawning Portal: which one is your favorite?

BlackDog918
2017-07-17, 05:59 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin, out of the repackaged classic adventures in the book, what's your favorite?

Temperjoke
2017-07-17, 06:31 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin, out of the repackaged classic adventures in the book, what's your favorite?

Just from reading it, I gotta say the Tomb of Horrors, because it just seems like it was designed as a DM's passive-aggressive revenge against a group that has been driving him/her nuts by smugly bypassing his/her entire campaign. I mean, the text even provides places for the DM to verbally troll the party about it!

Twizzly513
2017-07-17, 06:53 PM
Dead in Thay.
It has a lot to offer, while having a feel almost of a minigame. The massive area has to be explored, and you can't just kill and move on like some other dungeons. I'm currently running it with my group, and although it is a lot of work and prep, it's a lot of fun to play.

Vaz
2017-07-17, 07:02 PM
Just from reading it, I gotta say the Tomb of Horrors, because it just seems like it was designed as a DM's passive-aggressive revenge against a group that has been driving him/her nuts by smugly bypassing his/her entire campaign. I mean, the text even provides places for the DM to verbally troll the party about it!

Tomb of Horrors is the worst idea ever. Have a 2/3 chance of killing your players before they get into the Tomb? Have a solution to a teleport trap actually be a sphere of destruction which cannot be controlled, even with a Legendary item? Have the party fight a 4 arm statue monster, and then in the next room have the solution be giving reward items to a broken 4 arm statue monster? Multiple save or die traps? Have trash tier monsters all the way through, and then fight the big boss dude at the end, who blankets a party member with an Anti-magic Field, then forces DC19 Charisma Save or Dies each round multiple times, while being immune to half damage from spells it passes the save on (And has Legendary Resistances), and can make a DC15 Con save or die.

The only way it can be won is by metagaming, or having an endless list of characters, or a DM factoring in some Dark Souls/Save Point mechanic where you can remember your past events, like Edge of Tomorrow.

If you want to kill your players, just kill them, or specifically say to them "yo, we're running Tomb of Horrors, bring 5 character sheets each next week. We'll return to your usual characters the week after".

Alternatively, you could solo the entire dungeon with a Winged Tiefling Rogue 1/Theurgy (Life) Wizard 14+ as well as having a cautious attitude, and abusing Glyph of Warding.

Rabbit_Shadow
2017-07-17, 07:03 PM
Looking forward to running forge of fury next month! based on the first two floors, its a good mix of deadly and fast pace.

erok0809
2017-07-17, 07:27 PM
So far I've DM'd Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury. Forge of Fury has been more fun I think. I'm planning on running Tomb of Horrors soon, with my players having a few characters at the ready. We'll have to see how it goes.

BlackDog918
2017-07-17, 07:29 PM
See we did a session of Forge of Fury last night, it was a real barn burner. I've heard good things about White Plume Mountain, what does everyone else think?