PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What's the best way to build a Yuan-Ti Paladin?

TheRedTemplar
2017-07-17, 09:36 PM
I'm playing in the Adventure's League and would like to create a Yuan-Ti Paladin. I have his personality and such all set, but I'm not entirely sure on how I should build them. My goal is to create a Paladin that has the following:

A decent damage output. DPS is not the focus of what I'd like to do, but I don't want to lag behind other characters in this regard.
Survivability. This is the most important to me: my group tends to get hurt or die very often and we don't have a cleric, druid or a bard. Our only method of healing aside from potions is basically me, and I can't heal someone if I'm dead, so I'd like to be very hard to kill. And that leads into my third need,
Support. Spells or abilities that would allow him to shape the battlefield and/or help him cripple enemies long enough for his teammates to mop up the rest. This is the thing I consider secondary.

TL;DR, Order of importance is: Survivability > Support > DPS.

It's worth noting I'm not (and don't plan on being) the tank. If it'd help, my current party consists of: A Dragonborn Sorcerer, a Halfling Rogue (although she's basically a loadstone), and Two Goliath Barbarians.

I'm thinking of going S&B with Oath of the Ancients, but would like other opinions on what to do (for example, what fighting style should I use: Defense or Duelist?). I also don't know if I should use Strength or Dexterity, or following that, I don't know what weapon I should use. So, would anyone be willing to help me out? I greatly appreciate any and all opinions sent my way. If you think any more information would be helpful, just ask and I'll provide. Thanks guys!

Sigreid
2017-07-17, 09:42 PM
Just looking at the roleplaying side if you take the traits where he admires human civilization and feels some emotions, you could play a yuan-ti that hates what he is and is following the path of the devotion paladin, seeking both redemption from a pact he did not make and the humanity that pact stole from him/her.

greenstone
2017-07-17, 09:52 PM
If you are the most survivable then you are, in fact, the tank.

Survivability means you want heavy armour, a shield, and the Defense fighting style. Or perhaps medium armour, good DEX, and the medium armour master feat. My Paladin had an AC of 22 at level 5 with a breastplate. And could stealth in it.

I don't think the Oath has a lot of difference, but I did find that misty step (Oath of the Ancients) is great for getting out of Dodge, which helps survivability.

For support, the best thing you can do is cast bless and keep it going (in other words, don't fail concentration). Well, that is the best thing at levels 1 to 5. At level 6, the better thing you can do is get a cool aura and stay within range of the rest of the party. But still cast bless.

You should always have lesser restoration prepared, for disease and poison and blindness.

As for damage, hey, you're a Paladin. When you need to bring the hurt, you can. Divine Smite FTW. Don't bother with any of the *ing smite spells however - you'll be using concentration for bless.

suplee215
2017-07-17, 10:04 PM
If you want to survive I'll go dex based. Your AC might be lower (unless you go medium armor master) but the improvement to dex saves, combined with the goodies your race and oath give you should be more important than a 1 AC. I personally favor the whip as a dex weapon for paladin but that is more flavor. Whip or rapier works well. I'll go whip if you go duelist and rapier if defense just because without the added 2 the whip's weakness really stand out. You should be taking only a quarter damage from fireball and other harmful spells. Especially as you have 2 Barbarians to take the physical attacks (especially if you hide behind them with your whip).

suplee215
2017-07-17, 10:08 PM
If you are the most survivable then you are, in fact, the tank.

Does it? I mean you can easily step into a tank's role but you can survive by staying away from the combat which is not what a tank does. A tank is there to take the hits. Sure, a paladin can do that pretty well but this is a party with 2 barbarians. I can see playing several characters who are hard to kill who aren't a tank. A rogue with evasion and uncanny dodge can survive for a while, but he isn't trying to get hit. A monk is similar, especially when it comes to spells due to all save proficiency. Even a abjur wizard is hard to kill. But none of these are tanking the hits in the front line.

Squibsallotl
2017-07-17, 10:34 PM
Thematically, a Yuan-Ti could be of any Oath, but it would dramatically change the way you RP the character.

Devotion: A repentant/outcast/rebel Yuan-Ti, who has abandoned the callous ways of his people and is seeking redemption. You could pick a non-serpentine deity to revere and perhaps RP in a way that shows disdain or disgust for your own snakelike attributes.
Ancients: A Yuan-Ti who perhaps follows a non-evil or neutral serpentine or reptilian deity (like The Blood of Vol, Semuanya, or perhaps even Bahamut).
Vengeance: A Yuan-Ti who worships Sseth, who is moving in human society to expand Sseth's worshippers and hunt down enemies of the faith.

Your character concept should really dictate what Oath you pick, rather than the mechanics.

With two Barbarians in the party, it would probably be best if you used Dex as an attack stat, granting you higher Initiative, Dex Saves, and ranged attack options. Keep Charisma high as well. Dueling fighting style + medium armor, a rapier and a shield (with a longbow for backup) gives you good consistent DPR whilst maintaining a high AC.

Support is baked into your class, no matter what Oath you pick. Just don't spend spell slots on Divine Smite unless you really have to, as they come with an opportunity cost (one less Bless/Cure Wounds/Heroism/Lesser Restoration/Aura of Vitality that day).

Sigreid
2017-07-17, 11:03 PM
Devotion: A repentant/outcast/rebel Yuan-Ti, who has abandoned the callous ways of his people and is seeking redemption. You could pick a non-serpentine deity to revere and perhaps RP in a way that shows disdain or disgust for your own snakelike attributes.

Worship some kind of mongoose deity. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Squibsallotl
2017-07-17, 11:34 PM

Either way it's... bad. I don't know animals.

TheRedTemplar
2017-07-18, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far guys! I appreciate the help so much!

Given what I've read so far, I think I'd like to try a dexterity based build, as it will let me have a higher initiative and easier time avoiding damage. Given the nature of my character and what he's like, I think the whip will be a fitting weapon, so I'll use a Whip and Shield with the Dueling Fighting Style to help keep my damage respectable (not to mention the whip has some fun OoC uses anyways :P). Probably gonna go with the OotA due to his close ties with nature as well.

Now that I have that settled, what do you think his ability scores should be like? Should I focus on Dexterity first, or Charisma? Oh, and:

Either way it's... bad. I don't know animals.

The Mongoose is a common predator of snakes because it's extremely resistant to their poisons. Worshipping one as a god would be a way to say that he's basically the anti-snake. It's a fun idea, but I'll have to save it for another character ;)

Naanomi
2017-07-18, 03:38 PM
There are good Yuan-Ti who worship Coautls, Nagas, or sometimes their God, Jazirian. Still intellectual and emotionally stunted; but seek to do good in a calculating 'utilitarian' sort of mindset

Jazirian makes an interesting concept; as as a matter of dogma he commands his clerics to tempt Good people to do evil to 'test them' (untested Good is 'just innocence'); something a Yuan-to could excel at

Sigreid
2017-07-18, 04:38 PM
The Mongoose is a common predator of snakes because it's extremely resistant to their poisons. Worshipping one as a god would be a way to say that he's basically the anti-snake. It's a fun idea, but I'll have to save it for another character ;)

They also move faster than the human eye can process information. Are you sure a dex paladin shouldn't worship Ricky Ticky Tavy?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ricky+ticky+tavy&view=detail&mid=E630983431C1F7B1E101E630983431C1F7B1E101&FORM=VIRE

Squibsallotl
2017-07-18, 05:57 PM

Haha yep, I'd got that. My comment was a Dr Evil reference.
"He is the snake to my mongoose. Or the mongoose to my snake. Either way it's.. Bad, i don't know animals."

Whip is a cool choice, rather snakelike. Dex or Cha first depends on what level you're playing at. If you expect to play for several levels after 6, then Cha might be better for party support and your own resilience to status effects, as well as making your control spells harder to resist. At lower levels before the aura kicks in, Dex will be more valuable.

Klorox
2017-07-18, 07:13 PM

LMAO, awesome.

IMHO, a yuan-ti looks cool with a scimitar.

Spiritchaser
2017-07-18, 09:10 PM
I'd do ancients as well...

" I felt something once... In a small clearing by a stream I saw two faries dance. I had never seen beauty for what it was before... I will cherish and protect that memory, and that place... And others like it..."

If single class I'd go dex, rapier and board, and probably res-con. You won't be able to have both perception and stealth, At least not easily. Oh well.

If you're going sorcadin, almost certainly go STR to reduce madness a bit. Don't discount the extra survival from shield. Dex sorcadin is great, but tough without above normal stats...

silvertree
2017-07-19, 08:41 AM
As far as survivability goes, you've already done yourself a great service in your selection of race and class. Your race is immune to poison and has advantage on saves against any spell effect. Your class gets immunity to disease at level 3, and your Charisma mod added to saving throws at level 6. Without making any other choices, you're already doing quite well.

I agree with greenstone that having Bless up will probably be your go-to for support, especially if you're attacking at range with your whip, as you're likely to avoid damage and therefore maintain concentration easier. It's both an offensive and defensive buff, making it easier for your side to reduce their side's numbers quicker, and therefore less healing required. One (or both) of your barbarians will likey be a GWF, and will be taking penalties on their attack rolls in order to maximize damage. The extra 1d4 you provide can make the difference between a hit and a miss. And when they drop a baddie, they get an extra attack - also with the +1d4, so it'll get a lot of mileage.

If you're primarily worried about your own survivability, consider taking the Defensive fighting style. If you want to add to your group's survivability, take Protection, since you're already using a shield. The disadvantage you impose will mathematically be better than a +1 to AC.

Depending at the level you start at, maybe consider a few levels in Warlock? At level 1 with the Archfey patron (which would synergize well with your Oath of the Ancients), you can produce an aura of fear once per short rest, which would help with the groups survivability. At level 2, you can add the Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast invocations to your Eldritch Blast cantrip, giving you damage (probably) and range (definitely) superior to your whip, plus some battlefield control since you can now push enemies all over the place, regardless of size, without a save to overcome. The damage from Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast really shines when you add Hex to it, but you've already got competition for your concentration with Bless.