PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build Concept: Warding Bond via Familiar

Squibsallotl
2017-07-17, 09:50 PM
Hi all, I'm wondering if this concept works (by RAW) and if it does, how to make best use of it.

The core concept is to have a Familiar cast Warding Bond on its summoner, providing them +1 AC and saves and sharing half damage. The concept is then expanded by finding ways to provide the Familiar additional HP or temporary HP to allow them to soak up more shared damage.

I believe this interaction would work by RAW due to the following passage in the Find Familiar spell description:
Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch,
your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the
spell.

The clause "as if it had cast the spell" should change any instance of "you" in the Warding Bond text to refer to the Familiar, and not the summoner:

This spell wards a willing creature you touch and
creates a mystic connection between you and the target
until the spell ends. While the target is within 60 feet of
you, it gains a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws, and
it has resistance to all damage. Also, each time it takes
damage, you take the same amount of damage.

Here's a build I've been working on that uses this concept:

VHuman Oath of the Crown Paladin 6 / Pact of the Chain Warlock 4
Feat: Inspiring Leader
ASIs: 2x +2 Cha

Str 8
Con 14
Dex 16
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 20

HP: 80

Key elements:
High Charisma with Inspiring Leader
Imp familiar
Warding Bond as an Oath spell
Aid spell
Heroism spell

Aid can be used to buff both the Paladin's and Imp's HP by 5 (as well as one other party member). Inspiring Leader provides the Paladin, Imp and rest of the party with +15 temp hp per short rest.

So in combat the Imp would start with 30HP (15 real, 15 temporary). In effect, you're using two 2nd level spell slots (Warding Bond and Aid) to get a +30 HP buffer and +1 to AC and Saves until the buffer is burned through. In terms of the HP gain this isn't so great, as 2x upcast Cure Wounds would achieve a similar effect (4d8+10, avg 30).

So we need additional ways to abuse the Bond. An Upcast Heroism is one way (targeting both the Paladin and Imp) to effectively gain +10 temp hp/round, but this uses Concentration and may still be inferior to Wrathful Smite for damage mitigation, at least against a single hard hitting enemy (Heroism would be excellent against a group of weaker foes). If we happen to have healing potions or Goodberries available the Imp could also use its action each round to drink/eat one.

What do you all think of the concept? Does it work, and if it does, how can it be made better?

sir_argo
2017-07-17, 10:25 PM
I haven't read any Sage Advice on this, but I would assume that "as if it had cast the spell" does not actually change the fact that you cast it. It's only referring to how the spell is delivered, i.e. the familiar's touch. If you go further into the spell description, it actually says, "it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it." And it also says it uses your attack modifier.

In other words, you're casting the spell.

-- edit --

Just looked up Sage Advice. https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/767934456556429312

JC says that when you cast through your familiar, you still need to do the concentration. Another indicator that it is still you casting.

Squibsallotl
2017-07-17, 11:43 PM
@sir_argo, you might be right, but I don't think either reference outright disallows my interpretation.

From a power perspective, Warding Bond via a 1-3HP animal certainly isn't broken. You need to spend resources to make it even remotely viable, such as 3 levels of Warlock for Chain Pact Imp, the Inspiring Leader feat, and Aid.

Dalebert
2017-07-17, 11:49 PM
A Ring of Spell Storing would solve any issues of allowing something else to cast WB. You could even have an undead minion cast it like something from Create Undead. Would be tougher than a familiar yet still could be enhanced by spells with more hp.

Nice thing about this is you don't even have to build to cast it. You can get the cleric to cast it for you. You could stack Aid and Armor of Agathys also and wouldn't necessarily even need Inspiring Leader (though it wouldn't hurt. Easier than AoA and save you spell slots which you don't have many of).

And BTW, thank you for this idea. My sorcerer regularly has a simulacrum of a powerful cleric via Wish and a Ring of Spell Storing (fast attunement!) so he can have undead minions. I'll have my cleric whip me up some more powerful undead and do this trick. I already grabbed Inspiring Leader.

1) Cleric uses 8th level slot to Create Undead two wights (45 hp).
2) Cleric casts Heroes Feast, avg 11 hp.
3) Sorcerer uses Inspiring Leader +25 hp. Wights now have 81 ish hp.
4) Cleric casts Warding Bond into Ring of Spell Storing.
5) Wight attunes and casts WB on Sorcerer.
6) Wight carries a lot of healing potions and otherwise takes the dodge or hide action near my sorcerer.