PDA

View Full Version : True Creation: Can you create Spellbooks with spells?

magicalmagicman
2017-07-18, 01:18 AM
So I've been toying around with wizards again, and this spell caught my eye again.

Can you create a spellbook with this spell that is filled with 100 spells that you know? How about spells that you don't know? Would it be treated as a borrowed spellbook?

Silva Stormrage
2017-07-18, 01:24 AM
So I've been toying around with wizards again, and this spell caught my eye again.

Can you create a spellbook with this spell that is filled with 100 spells that you know? How about spells that you don't know? Would it be treated as a borrowed spellbook?

I would say yes you could. But they wouldn't be able to create a spellbook with spells they don't know. True creation requires you to make a skill check for complex items so clearly you need to know HOW to make the item and if you don't know the spells then obviously you couldn't create the complex formulas for it.

Also note that spells cost 100gp per page to inscribe so that cost would definitely be added to the cost of a blank spellbook.

flappeercraft
2017-07-18, 01:29 AM
I don't think you could. According to the description of the spell Amanuensis from SpC this comes up "The spell copies only nonmagical text, not illustrations or magical writings (such as the text of a spellbook, a spell scroll, or a sepia snake sigil)." and true creation from SpC also gives "You create a nonmagical, unattended object of any sort of matter.". To me this at least shows that you can create spellbooks, just not ones with spells written on them.

Silva Stormrage
2017-07-18, 02:05 AM
I don't think you could. According to the description of the spell Amanuensis from SpC this comes up "The spell copies only nonmagical text, not illustrations or magical writings (such as the text of a spellbook, a spell scroll, or a sepia snake sigil)." and true creation from SpC also gives "You create a nonmagical, unattended object of any sort of matter.". To me this at least shows that you can create spellbooks, just not ones with spells written on them.

Good catch, if text of a spellbook is counted as magical (Which raises some really weird questions like can the text be dispelled? Does a spellbook stop functioning in an AMF? Etc etc) then True Creation certainly couldn't RAW create one.

I don't think it would be a particularly broken use of it though.

magicalmagicman
2017-07-18, 02:17 AM

That is pretty definitive. Thanks for the quote.