PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Treasures in the Sun?

Jon_Dahl
2017-07-18, 02:33 AM
A band of Efreeti have come to visit "Earth" and they bring gifts from their home planet.
I just can't figure out what they could possible give... What treasures could there be in a massive clump of hot plasma?

prototype00
2017-07-18, 02:37 AM
Aren't Efreeti canonically from the City of Brass? Or is this something for your setting?

AlanBruce
2017-07-18, 02:42 AM
A band of Efreeti have come to visit "Earth" and they bring gifts from their home planet.
I just can't figure out what they could possible give... What treasures could there be in a massive clump of hot plasma?

If you're using Efreeti as portrayed in the Monster Manual, they live in the Plane of Fire which is uninhabitable for regular humans, but it is not devoid of life and resources, since not all of it is one big fireball.

That race in particular lives in the Citadel of Brass, I believe (it's been awhile since I read on efreet planar lore) and they are known for having a a LOT of resources at hand, in the form of slave labor, extradimensional allies and material wealth, to name a few, so chances are that Efreet Ambassadors to Earth could bring pretty much anyone or anything they or their massive empire can get a hand on to give as sign of good faith.

If you are looking for something more thematic and akin to the Plane of Fire, their home, well just look at any of the many items in the DMG that relate to fire...

Although they might not be handing out Candles of Invocation, though,

Jon_Dahl
2017-07-18, 02:43 AM
Aren't Efreeti canonically from the City of Brass? Or is this something for your setting?

They exist in many places. Canonically they exist in any suns the setting might have. There are exceptions, though.

Jon_Dahl
2017-07-18, 02:45 AM
If you're using Efreeti as portrayed in the Monster Manual, they live in the Plane of Fire which is uninhabitable for regular humans, but it is not devoid of life and resources, since not all of it is one big fireball.

That race in particular lives in the Citadel of Brass, I believe (it's been awhile since I read on efreet planar lore) and they are known for having a a LOT of resources at hand, in the form of slave labor, extradimensional allies and material wealth, to name a few, so chances are that Efreet Ambassadors to Earth could bring pretty much anyone or anything they or their massive empire can get a hand on to give as sign of good faith.

If you are looking for something more thematic and akin to the Plane of Fire, their home, well just look at any of the many items in the DMG that relate to fire...

Although they might not be handing out Candles of Invocation, though,

This is actually the Sun (or the sun) of my setting.

They live here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Sun_poster.svg/1920px-Sun_poster.svg.png

Vaz
2017-07-18, 03:32 AM
What reason do they need the treasure for? Is there anything else that exists there that they'd need treasure for? If they're plane hopping, then they'll have the same treasure that other planar creatures would like have - weapons and armour.

BWR
2017-07-18, 03:43 AM
- a lump of contained, insulated solar plasma, perfect for making various fire-based magic items (materials worth X for crafting)
- body parts of fire-based creatures, for trophies/art/crafting
- a work of art: flames in specific patterns and colors, differing heats (possibly toned down to not kill the wussy chilly beings), and different smells/colors/density of smoke
- slaves
- valuable knowledge
- a free wish, with certain limitations
- a political favor with the efreeti or another group of powerful beings the efreeti have a formal relationship with
- a gem of Fire Elemental Summoning
- a magnificent poetic work honoring the host or his ancestors/god/other honored entity
- an invitation to visit an efreeti at home

Thurbane
2017-07-18, 03:57 AM
Maybe Ioun Stones (which were traditionally mined from dead stars)?

Crake
2017-07-18, 04:14 AM
Uhh, can someone point me to any lore source that says efreeti come from suns? I have never seen this assertion claimed before.

Eldan
2017-07-18, 05:15 AM
Sounds like something from Spelljammer.

Jon_Dahl
2017-07-18, 05:27 AM
Uhh, can someone point me to any lore source that says efreeti come from suns? I have never seen this assertion claimed before.

Certainly, I'm always happy to help out younger generations. SJR7 Krynnspace and SJR4 Practical Planetology.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-18, 05:40 AM
How much are you willing to change the sun from what we know it to be?

The sun could be a giant reactor or engine of some sort, which is why it's putting out so much energy. It could be a literal space ship, traveling through the Milky Way, with its solar system on tow. The Efreeti live on layers and layers of steampunky factory floor made from unearthly heat resistant metals in varying shades of bronze and brown to deep red.

Or maybe the sun is more like ours, and the Efreeti live in giant balloon ships that float around in it. Sometimes these ships meet and coordinate their plans. One is going for a deep dive to the layer of healing heat, the other one is going near the surface, and meeting with a merchant ship from the outer edges of the system there, trading rare materials and fine luxury goods. People find a home on the other one depending on where they want to go.

Maybe it's only the outer layer of the sun that's on fire, and inside the hollow sun it's all fun and happiness and sheep skipping through the fields a Matrix style dystopian machine world where the Efreeti are held as slaves ever since they set the outer surface on fire in an attempt to win the AI war. Boiling hot steam and plasma conduits run throughout this weird mix of scifi and 80's technology, and you can feel the cold when one of the mechanical guards walks by holding an ice weapon.

I could imagine a few presents from any of those suns...

Inevitability
2017-07-18, 06:50 AM
Maybe something helium-based? It's relatively rare on earth, but very common in the solar atmosphere. Let's face it, enormous airships are cool.

Hackulator
2017-07-18, 11:34 AM
All materials that exist are created in the cores of stars. They could theoretically bring a massive hunk of ANY material from the core of the star. Therefore, there is no limit to what they could bring. How about a huge chunk of super compressed carbon aka A GIANT **** ALL DIAMOND FROM THE CORE OF A STAR. If that isn't a badass component for creating some insane magical item, I don't know what is.

Edit: I also find it super amusing that people are arguing about where Efreet come from in OPs game lol.

Buufreak
2017-07-18, 12:05 PM

Keep in mind that every single resource you take for granted on a daily basis was synthesized by a, as you said, "massive clump of hot plasma."

Deadline
2017-07-18, 01:10 PM
Hmm, others have mentioned that you could pretty much use anything, but what about starmetal (from Complete Arcane)? I know it's supposed to be from meteors, but perhaps that's just the "less pure" version?

Edit: I also find it super amusing that people are arguing about where Efreet come from in OPs game lol.

I don't think anybody is or has argued about that. Perhaps you misread?

Gildedragon
2017-07-18, 01:51 PM
Well let's consider the differences between fire elementals and Efreeti
The latter are a lot "fleshier", they'd live in (relatively) cool parts of the sun. They keep humanoid slaves. And they trade a lot.
Good gifts:
Gemstones that glow with an inner light (as a candle)
Daylight-bright ores
Oils and perfumes of strange plants
Spices that keep the food hot and unburnable
A sherbet maker that keeps things frozen even in the solar heat
Silks so thin that the air makes flutter, giving them the appearance of fire or smoke
Perfectly smooth mirrors
Objects from other worlds
A menagerie of fire elemental creatures: for example a bird with feathers made of brilliant flames of ever changing colors, a sort of lesser phoenix
Phoenix feathers
A flame that weeps water (ie an eternal hydrogen pump)
Works of art made of iron filigree
Slaves (such as, say, fire Gen to be had as familiars, or scholars)
Flying carpets
Stuff pillaged or gained from other peoples tomes of their cultural classics
An orrery of their empire (Heliocentric of course)
Single wish ring of wishes