PDA

View Full Version : Do you reckon 5e will ever do any other settings?

kraftcheese
2017-07-18, 08:43 AM
Now I know they've already done Ravenloft, but Ravenloft is specifically tailored toward horror, has only had an adventure, not a setting book published (I know Curse of Strahd has mechanics and classes, but not a full settings worth).

Do you think 5e will ever actually reboot a whole setting like say, Eberron or Dark Sun?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-18, 08:49 AM
They've certainly hinted at Eberron stuff in their UAs (they had an entire one dedicated to Eberron early-on, and the Artificer got expanded recently), but... no. I'm generally pessimistic about WotC's commitment to anything other than adventure paths, but I'd be kind of surprised if they put out a non-FR setting. I mean, it wouldn't be compatible with their adventure paths!

Cybren
2017-07-18, 08:53 AM
They've certainly hinted at Eberron stuff in their UAs (they had an entire one dedicated to Eberron early-on, and the Artificer got expanded recently), but... no. I'm generally pessimistic about WotC's commitment to anything other than adventure paths, but I'd be kind of surprised if they put out a non-FR setting. I mean, it wouldn't be compatible with their adventure paths!

I'd expect new setting books to be a valuable long-term plan, given it gives them an avenue for releasing more content but without a firm commitment to 4E style "N number of splatbooks per month".

BW022
2017-07-18, 12:39 PM
It's coming up on three years since 5e was released. If WotC hasn't released other settings by now... My guess would be no. This said...

5e is pretty easy to take from standard 3.x settings.

Greyhawk is trivial... To the point I use 3.5 materials with only minor changes.

Ebberon only needs some race and magic item changes. You can find these online.

Arcanis. They have a 5e setting book out early next year.

That leaves a few such as Ravenloft, Dragonlance, etc.

The PHB has gods for other setting and organizes optional races. It is also not that difficult to add gods, races, or even classes. The class system is pretty easy to add to.

Byke
2017-07-18, 01:03 PM
Faerun has been done to death.... Dragonlance has so much potential and reusability.

I'm surprised they haven't exploited it more with the popularity of GoT

Millstone85
2017-07-18, 01:24 PM
Jeremy Crawford has recently called Planescape the "metasetting" of 5e, here (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/885909193718341633).

So I will once again hope for a manual of the planes, that should amount to a setting book.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-18, 02:31 PM
I'm still hoping they're going to surprise us on some big anniversary with the resurrection of Greyhawk. Some of my all-time favorite games happened there, both as a player and a DM.

MoP with a focus on Sigil would be my bet for the first non-Faerun campaign setting, if Eberron doesn't beat it to print. I'm dead certain we'll eventually see Eberron in 5e, perhaps shortly before the heat death of the universe. Anything besides those is wishful thinking, though not completely out of the question.

I'd say the most unlikely thing of all is something brand new. Which is a bit of a shame, really. 5e might be the first and only edition to not introduce a setting. For an edition about tradition, that's a weird omission. Isn't there a coastal magician with a setting ambition?

Spiderguy24
2017-07-18, 03:05 PM
Two words, Adventurer's League. They don't want to release anything that will disrupt what they have set in stone for it, and that sadly includes entirely new settings. It's very sad though, Adventurer's League is what got me into a cool homebrew game... would suck to see hatred for it just because of this fact.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-18, 03:08 PM
Jeremy Crawford has recently called Planescape the "metasetting" of 5e, here (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/885909193718341633).

So I will once again hope for a manual of the planes, that should amount to a setting book.

Honestly, I'd prefer an actual Planescape setting book to a Manual of the Planes. Partially because I suspect they'd make it Forgotten Realms flavoured, and partially because it'll likely treat the planes differently (as adventure locations rather than as somewhere to go from levels 1 to 20).

Planescape would also require WotC to either bring back the old Tieflings or work out some way to use the new ones without the old ones ever existing. The part-fiends were a rather big part of Planescape, being there from the original box set and being one of the more popular planar races. While I know I'm not the only one that retconned their race back to being part-fiend I'll be surprised if WotC doesn't try to exist all tieflings come from ancient pacts.

(Then again, I'm writing a conversion to do Planescape with Savage Worlds, as I find that system more fun to run, and it's easy to convert the 2e options and enemies. If WotC release an 'Elminster's Guide to the Planes' I just won't buy it and will continue with my 2e stuff.)

Coidzor
2017-07-18, 03:16 PM
I'm pretty pessimistic about 5e and its relationship with settings.

Faerun has been done to death.... Dragonlance has so much potential and reusability.

How do you figure there's any real connection between Dragonlance and Game of Thrones?

JumboWheat01
2017-07-18, 04:47 PM
I'd just be happy if they used more of the Realms than the general Sword Coast region (which I know, there is one coming out Soon™.) It's a big world, lemme have an adventure set in Thay, or maybe one of the other continents.

Though I still wouldn't say no to seeing something else (especially Eberron.) Just gimme a big ol' lore and rule book to sit down and digest. I love me my lore books. Especially in book form.

Spiderguy24
2017-07-18, 04:54 PM
I'd just be happy if they used more of the Realms than the general Sword Coast region (which I know, there is one coming out Soon™.) It's a big world, lemme have an adventure set in Thay, or maybe one of the other continents.

Though I still wouldn't say no to seeing something else (especially Eberron.) Just gimme a big ol' lore and rule book to sit down and digest. I love me my lore books. Especially in book form.
I wouldn't mind something set in Kara-Tur which is in the Realms. Samurai, Ninjas, Oriental creatures and classes, basically Legend of the Five Rings in 5e.

Sigreid
2017-07-18, 05:09 PM

Dragonlance is the one setting they could put out that I would have zero chance of buying.

Millstone85
2017-07-18, 05:15 PM
Planescape would also require WotC to either bring back the old Tieflings or work out some way to use the new ones without the old ones ever existing. The part-fiends were a rather big part of Planescape, being there from the original box set and being one of the more popular planar races. While I know I'm not the only one that retconned their race back to being part-fiend I'll be surprised if WotC doesn't try to exist all tieflings come from ancient pacts.I am more hopeful on this.

PHB: Tieflings are the result of an ancestral pact with Asmodeus.
SCAG: Actually, in Forgotten Realms, Asmodeus remade tieflings in his own image at some point during the Spellplague. That's why most of them now look like him. Most but not all, and here are rules for tieflings of a different infernal heritage.
MotP: Oh and there are abyssal tieflings too, and from all kinds of fiends! Here is how you play them.

As for being descended from warlocks rather than the fiends themselves... Well, first, I love the idea that, if a pact doesn't change your appearance, it might still change that of your descendants. You have got some bad juju in your blood now, and in other bodily fluids too. And then, such tieflings could coexist with more traditional ones, much like, according to EEPC, some genasi bloodlines claim a genie ancestor while others started with a wild surge of elemental magic.

Smitty Wesson
2017-07-18, 05:37 PM
While I am annoyed at the delays and can agree with the cynicism, the impression I am getting is that they want to make sure that Artificer and Mystic are done as right as possible before release - and that this process is potentially holding up Eberron and Dark Sun material.

Planescape seems like a sure bet, though. The fact that it is additive to all of the Forgotten Realms material - just using Toril as the assumed Material Plane instead of Oerth like in 3.5 - means that it can coexist pretty well with the current FR focus. Here's hoping that the ability to be tied in that way does not interfere with Planescape getting done justice as its own thing.

Millstone85
2017-07-18, 07:26 PM
Speaking of things compatible with FR, VGtM really teased Spelljammer. I will be kind of angry if that doesn't go anywhere.

Vaz
2017-07-18, 07:31 PM
5E is barely even doing its own base setting tbf. Compare Greyhawk from earlier editions content to now. There's what, been 4 times the number of books published?

Finback
2017-07-18, 10:22 PM
Speaking of things compatible with FR, VGtM really teased Spelljammer. I will be kind of angry if that doesn't go anywhere.

I'll be surprised if it *does*, to be honest. It often feels more like nods and winks to the prior players, whilst simply offering "hey, here's a cool idea you could make a game out of!" for newer groups. :/

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-07-18, 11:21 PM
5E is barely even doing its own base setting tbf. Compare Greyhawk from earlier editions content to now. There's what, been 4 times the number of books published?

I can't say how much Greyhawk had printed within its first three years for AD&D, but if we just compare 5e to 4e... now, what did I say in that other post...?

In the three years 5e has been printing, we've had Hoard of the Dragon Queen (set in Faerun), the Rise of Tiamat (set in Faerun), Princes of the Apocalypse (set in Faerun), Out of the Abyss (set in Faerun), Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (a campaign sourcebook dedicated to Faerun), Curse of Strahd (set in the Demiplane of Dread), Storm King's Thunder (set in Faerun), Volo's Guide to Monsters (heavily Faerun flavored), and Tales From the Yawning Portal (setting neutral). And ahead of us we have Tomb of Annihilation (set in Faerun) and Xanathar's Guide to Everything (heavily Faerun flavored).

For comparison, within the three years of its initial printing, 4e gave us campaign & player's guides for Forgotten Realms, Eberron and Dark Sun, 6 planar sourcebooks (Manual of Planes, Astral Sea, Elemental Chaos, Shadowfell, Heroes of Shadow, Demonomicon), a Dark Sun adventure, an Eberron adventure, a Forgotten Realms adventure, twelve Nentir Vale adventures, an Underdark sourcebook, two Draconomicons, an Undead sourcebook, two gear sourcebooks, a mini-adventures sourcebooks, two new Player's Handbooks, and class expansions for every class released up to that point! Not counting the stuff in Dragon & Dungeon Magazine.

Hells, even 4e's Dragon and Dungeon blow 5e's Unearthed Arcana out of the water. At their worst, we still got two or three usable fluff + crunch or crunch articles per month. In Unearthed Arcana, we're lucky to get one article a month and its reputation for being balanced is quite dubious.

Seriously, anyone tells me that "Greyhawk Initative" is somehow superior to "Playing Races: Gnolls" or "Eye of Chaos: Dao & Marid" or "Channel Divinity: Dead Gods" just because the latter was written for 4e needs a good swift kick in the happybox.

SharkForce
2017-07-18, 11:42 PM
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/881717018482712576

supposedly they want to. and have "plans" for bringing back all the settings.

personally, i think those plans are somewhat like the "plans" i have to someday design my own entire RPG game from scratch. i might want it to happen, but since none of those plans include "set aside at least some time every now and then for actually working on making an RPG", it's not terribly likely to happen.

frankly because at the rate they're producing books, i half suspect i'd die of old age before they released anywhere near a complete setting. i mean, even looking at forgotten realms... we've got one region covered. one. that's it. i wouldn't even describe the forgotten realms as being complete, any more than ravenloft is (i don't know the setting too well, but i do know that there isn't just one domain in the demiplane of dread).

so yeah, supposedly they've got plans. but i think they might be the kind of plans that don't involve legitimately sitting down and figuring out how you're going to do it.

Millstone85
2017-07-19, 04:26 AM
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/881717018482712576*Scrolls down in the chain of tweets*

What the...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD1YIsDXcAAogyF.jpg

Why wasn't that published? I know the 4e PHBs, MotP, and so on, were all technically Nentir Vale books, but it would have been nice to have one that actually said it.

And if 5e does some day come to bring back settings, Nentir Vale isn't a bad candidate.

Tetrasodium
2017-07-19, 05:31 AM
Now I know they've already done Ravenloft, but Ravenloft is specifically tailored toward horror, has only had an adventure, not a setting book published (I know Curse of Strahd has mechanics and classes, but not a full settings worth).

Do you think 5e will ever actually reboot a whole setting like say, Eberron or Dark Sun?
I'm not sure how much faith I have with WotC. bit I know that keith baker mentioned talking with someone from wotc (mearls?) about writing stuff for d&dbeyond or something, so who knows. I also made a gm screen for my eberron game with a lot of core+eberron specific creatures for quickly pulling together random encounters here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrfb8iyzr4k2ogy/dm%20screen-Flattened-V2.pdf?dl=0)

EvilAnagram
2017-07-19, 05:57 AM
*Scrolls down in the chain of tweets*

What the...

Why wasn't that published?

And if 5e does some day come to bring back settings, Nentir Vale isn't a bad candidate.

Honestly, I'm glad it wasn't in 4e.

This is controversial, but I think it was amazing because all info on the setting was nebulous and uncertain. It needed to be to work. It felt like you were delving into lost legends and exploring a lost world.

An adaptation to 5e would be great, but I would settle for literally anything but Forgotten Realms. I'm sick of it. I can't even get excited about ToA because it's just more FR. And XGtE? I'll buy it for the classes, but I'm still annoyed it's FR.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-19, 07:07 AM
*Scrolls down in the chain of tweets*

What the...

Why wasn't that published? I know the 4e PHBs, MotP, and so on, were all technically Nentir Vale books, but it would have been nice to have one that actually said it.

Honestly, either Nentir Vale or Mystara, what I consider the two real 'core' D&D settings (in that they grew as the books were published, compared to 3e Greyhawk which was just some basic flavour and 5e Forgotten Realms which is bolting the setting in because it's popular), would be awesome. Unfortunately for Mystara I remember the assumption being that it was a bit lower magic than 5e is, so the Nentir Vale (which had a lot of PC-usable magic due to how the system was set up) is probably the better candidate.

(Honestly, 5e is the most magic-intense version of D&D yet, with almost every class in the PhB having some form of access to spellcasting. While I can see that it's not meant to be high magic in all worlds it's depressingly common for PCs, to the point I intend to buy 'Adventures in Middle Earth' just for the classes.)

EvilAnagram
2017-07-19, 07:56 AM
Honestly, WotC is a business, and they're going to do whatever is profitable. That means that as long as FR is profitable, they'll keep pushing it. Unless something extreme happens like a large boycott of FR material, I see them pushing FR until everyone is sick enough to stop buying it, at which point they announce 6e.

ZorroGames
2017-07-19, 08:13 AM
Will, 30 to 40 years ago I would have sighed and written my own world (Did, twice!)

Now, older, more non-work commitments, adult children, grand-children, dog, yada-yada-yada... I just play AL currently on Tuesday nights and hope something along the lines of Maztica or Kara-Tur is "in the cards" someday.

One can dream.

Byke
2017-07-19, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty pessimistic about 5e and its relationship with settings.

How do you figure there's any real connection between Dragonlance and Game of Thrones?

Connection ...none....but it has dragon in common with GoT and that connection can resonate with people that watch GoT but don't play.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-19, 10:54 AM
Honestly, WotC is a business, and they're going to do whatever is profitable. That means that as long as FR is profitable, they'll keep pushing it. Unless something extreme happens like a large boycott of FR material, I see them pushing FR until everyone is sick enough to stop buying it, at which point they announce 6e.

Correction: they are going to do what they think is profitable. As someone without access to the same amount of data as them or any actual knowledge of how to run a business or sell a product I can't say either way whether or not they're right, so I'm going to keep to my strategy of only giving money to them for things I like.

I mean, there's about four groups of people in the D&D fandom with regards to settings:
-Forgotten Realms fans
-Forgotten Realms haters
-Those who don't care about Forgotten Realms, but are sick at it basically being the only setting
-Those who don't care

And honestly, the largest group is probably number 4. Most D&D players just don't really care what the default setting is, it's not uncommon to run in a semi-defined world that has a bunch of random kingdoms, the things the books say exist, and a few other things. Or they're playing in a world their GM made and don't care what the official fluff is.

I personally expect 6e anywhere from two to ten years down the line. However I wouldn't be surprised at a 5.5 or even a '5e basics' line which focuses on fewer classes (say Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard) in a smaller level range (1-5 or 1-10) but serves as a replacement for the current starter set (remember the Red Box [or earlier versions]? You could make your own characters without going online and downloading stuff). I could see a potential 5e basics using something like Mystara or Nentir Vale instead of the Forgotten Realms.

The chances of that happening are low, I'd snap up a game that used the 5e rules to simulate something closer to BECM (I'm going to be writing a homebrew version myself very soon, because I lost the version of Wraiths and Ruins* I had been working on [something like the 8th or 9th] and I've got ideas for it).

So it goes back to BECM with your race also being your class (referred to as your 'archetype'), with the following classes:
-Fighters, who have the core subclasses of Paladin and Knight (think standard fighter)
-Magicians, who have the core subclasses of Sorcerer (think blaster) and Illusionist
-Rogues, who have the core subclasses of Thief and Assassin
-Priests, who have the core subclasses of Clerics and Druids
-Elves, who can be elven warriors or elven spellweavers
-Dwarves, who can be dwarf warriors or dwarf crafters (rogue types)
-Halfings, who can be halfling scouts or halfling rogues

Then backgrounds give you all your skills, no class skills. Feats are removed, although some of their abilities have been moved into classes, and the spell list is pared down to focus on more 'archetypal' spells. All classes get their subclass at 3rd level, current cap is 10th.

Sure, nonhuman races are less versatile than humans, but I want it to focus on the archetypes more. Once this core book is done I'll write more subclasses allowing things like dwarf mages or halfling fighters, as well as 'villainous' options, and split them into 'supplements'. Then release it for free because I'm just making it for me.

* The working title for my 'perfect fantasy heartbreaker', or the D&D clone that I want to see. It's changed slowly from looking more like 3.X, to the last version looking like a simplified version of Anima: Beyond Fantasy, but I really just want a fantasy game that focuses on archetypes now.

Vaz
2017-07-19, 12:11 PM

They're not pushing it though. They're making profit by not producing anything. That's the point. They spend 6+ months without release, and then release something. In comparison to previous editions, which released a dozen or more in the same time frame.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 12:18 PM
The back of the SCAG had some tips for using it's content in other settings. I'd like to see more of that in the APs.

Tetrasodium
2017-07-19, 12:57 PM
The back of the SCAG had some tips for using it's content in other settings. I'd like to see more of that in the APs.

I agree that it's actually a pretty good page or two there, especially compared to stuff like PotA's "put the dessarin valley in an empty spot on the map & here's how to change eberron groups to stand in for FR's useless globe spanning factions"; but I'm not sure if I'd hold my breath given things like the word "daelkyr" not being in the MM & the expectation that xanthar's guide to "everything" won't mention the three types of dragonshards either. Kinda tired of having to homebrew so much stuff to run a nonFR game even in past editions when they had sourcebooks for those settings .

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 01:02 PM
I agree that it's actually a pretty good page or two there, especially compared to stuff like PotA's "put the dessarin valley in an empty spot on the map & here's how to change eberron groups to stand in for FR's useless globe spanning factions"; but I'm not sure if I'd hold my breath given things like the word "daelkyr" not being in the MM & the expectation that xanthar's guide to "everything" won't mention the three types of dragonshards either. Kinda tired of having to homebrew so much stuff to run a nonFR game even in past editions when they had sourcebooks for those settings .

At this point I'd be happy with something like the Planeshift PDFs. If only someone at WotC cared about the D&D settings as much as that guy cars about the M:tG ones.

EvilAnagram
2017-07-19, 01:39 PM
At this point I'd be happy with something like the Planeshift PDFs. If only someone at WotC cared about the D&D settings as much as that guy cars about the M:tG ones.

Well, 5e only gets something published if it ties in to other products. Ravenloft was timed to release with the vampire-temed Magic plane. The Forgotten Realms adventures frequently coincide with books. We get Planeshift supplements to tie in with Magic. The only thing released so far that does not tie in with other WotC products is the Yawning Portal, and that was just to keep people from selling rehashes of old favorites without paying them.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 02:02 PM
Well, 5e only gets something published if it ties in to other products. Ravenloft was timed to release with the vampire-temed Magic plane. The Forgotten Realms adventures frequently coincide with books. We get Planeshift supplements to tie in with Magic. The only thing released so far that does not tie in with other WotC products is the Yawning Portal, and that was just to keep people from selling rehashes of old favorites without paying them.

I understand this. That doesn't mean I don't want it to change :smallsmile: a guy can dream right?

Blue Duke
2017-07-19, 02:43 PM
what your saying is we should have gotten eberron when they released Kaladesh.....but we didnt !

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 07:21 PM
what your saying is we should have gotten eberron when they released Kaladesh.....but we didnt !

I'd really like to see eberron revisited. I think shifters are way cool, but was not a fan of what we got in UA.

Tetrasodium
2017-07-19, 08:27 PM
I'd really like to see eberron revisited. I think shifters are way cool, but was not a fan of what we got in UA.
Yea a lot of the 5e eberron UA race stuff was firmly in the realm of "why would anybody choose this on a mechanical level?" Compared to the volos races where almost all of them habe a feature of some form that makes you go "hmm... I can do something different & interesting with that" they are pretty bad & it's a shame.

Finback
2017-07-19, 11:54 PM
Well, 5e only gets something published if it ties in to other products.

Which is why Ixalan, due later this year, is about an island full of dinosaurs and ruins, with pirates. So pretty much Tomb of Annihilation. :/

Kite474
2017-07-20, 12:54 AM
Which is why Ixalan, due later this year, is about an island full of dinosaurs and ruins, with pirates. So pretty much Tomb of Annihilation. :/

I imagine that ToA was made to coincide with Ixalan since Magic is the money maker for Wizards.

Though outside of the pirates and dinosaurs they at leasy focus on different things

ToA is your standard Lich affair

Ixalan is one giant treasure hunt.

Tetrasodium
2017-07-20, 01:15 AM

Someone once suggested that I use that to help with setting up a 5e game in eberon. Read through the whole though it and cane away feeling like ajust read one of those crappy half baked d20 comic/anime/etc setting conversion things we used to see from all kinds of random companies.

Scarey Nerd
2017-07-20, 05:27 AM
My theory/fervant hope is that they're going to release one splatbook that covers a range of settings. A chapter on Eberron with updated and balanced rules for Changelings, Warforged, Shifters, the Artificer of course, overall general lore. A chapter on Greyhawk, a chapter on Dragonlance, a chapter on Dark sun, etc etc. Maybe even a worldbuilding chapter on ideas for your own setting, an expansion on what was in the DMG.

That way they don't have to put out loads of books for loads of settings, most people will buy a book as versatile as that to give them a good range of ideas, and then they can get back to concentrating on Faerun.

Millstone85
2017-07-20, 07:01 AM
My theory/fervant hope is that they're going to release one splatbook that covers a range of settings.That's another thing I would like to see under the title Manual of the Planes.

Or would Worlds of the Material be more appropriate?

Boo's Guide to Spelljamming, that would work too.

EvilAnagram
2017-07-20, 07:41 AM
That's another thing I would like to see under the title Manual of the Planes.

Or would Worlds of the Material be more appropriate?

Boo's Guide to Spelljamming, that would work too.

I guarantee you that if they release a book detailing all the settings aside from the Realms, it will be Elminster's Guide to the Worlds Beyond.

Unoriginal
2017-07-20, 08:14 AM
Do the Plane Shift: Amonkhet article counts?

I mean, it might be small for a setting overview, but they're probably going to publish other Magic:the Gathering setting articles, right?

Belltent
2017-07-20, 08:43 AM
Mearls has said they might soon be getting to a point where they drop to one adventure book a year. Does this mean they fill the other release slot with something else? No way to know. And if they do, there's no guarantee as to what type of product it will be.

Setting books are always a possibility, but the infrastructure of both the edition and the design team is so different from years past that every time they make a decision, it's for essentially the first time. No road maps here. I'd be surprised if one came within the next 2 years.

Smitty Wesson
2017-07-20, 10:25 AM
My theory/fervant hope is that they're going to release one splatbook that covers a range of settings. A chapter on Eberron with updated and balanced rules for Changelings, Warforged, Shifters, the Artificer of course, overall general lore. A chapter on Greyhawk, a chapter on Dragonlance, a chapter on Dark sun, etc etc. Maybe even a worldbuilding chapter on ideas for your own setting, an expansion on what was in the DMG.

That way they don't have to put out loads of books for loads of settings, most people will buy a book as versatile as that to give them a good range of ideas, and then they can get back to concentrating on Faerun.

This seems the most likely option to me. Get a lot of that content out there, throw Mystic and Artificer in the same book (as well as the most requested races that didn't get nods in Volo's - Warforged, Thri-Kreen), maybe release a Yawning Portal like companion book that has multiple short adventures in different settings.

I guarantee you that if they release a book detailing all the settings aside from the Realms, it will be Elminster's Guide to the Worlds Beyond.

shudders Here's hoping for "A'kin's Guide to the Planes" instead.

Tetrasodium
2017-07-20, 11:07 AM

Complete with a couple pages in the back about how to localize the various worlds to fit games set in eberron & the like no doubt.

Im already having to homebrew so much stuff for my eberron game that a book like you describe sounds beyond useless. The planeshift:mtg was simply useless but I say that sort of book would be "beyond useless" because it would almost certainly result in "we just released some eberron stuff & can't take away from eleminster/drizzit/superfiends with a ! over their heads focus so soon after that" even if it had one or more useful pages in it.

SharkForce
2017-07-20, 12:28 PM
Do the Plane Shift: Amonkhet article counts?

I mean, it might be small for a setting overview, but they're probably going to publish other Magic:the Gathering setting articles, right?

they've already been releasing other M:tG setting articles.

EvilAnagram
2017-07-20, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't count twelve-page articles designed to promote MtG as true setting guides.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-20, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it's more bonus UA. Or the last one certainly was, I cannot imagine we got an Unearthed Arcana worse than the random character generator one. I refuse to admit that it actually happened.

I mean, I actually found the UA Eberron Warforged to be cool. Maybe not balanced, but it was certain a good attempt to update them to 5e, and I really want to see another go at them, despite having never played Eberron (although I really want to run it these days, it just didn't appeal to me back in the 3.X era).

Byke
2017-07-20, 01:33 PM
Anyone out there going to be using the Matt Mercer Tal-Dorei campaign setting? Any word on it yet?

Belltent
2017-07-20, 02:25 PM
Anyone out there going to be using the Matt Mercer Tal-Dorei campaign setting? Any word on it yet?

It's out on PDF. You can buy it now.

The player options are all bad in one way or another. Feats, subclasses, and 1 variant race (the backgrounds are fine, but you can't really mess those up.)

The actual setting stuff? Eh, depends on how much you like CR. It's a very pretty book.