PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Question reagarding chothing that offers a +2 circumstance bonus to a skill

Melcar
2017-07-18, 11:20 AM
Hello...

Apparently there are different items that does this, which are not magical. Like MW thieves tools, which give +2 circumstance bonus to two skills. So 50gp per skill. So could I tailor a form of darkweave uniform/ suit for a cat burglar, which offered +2 balance, +2 escape artist, +2 jump, +2 move silent, and +2 tumble.? And i so, would it be reasonable to assume it would cost 250gp? Actually its the boots that due to being soft and well made gives the bonus to the jump, move silent and tumble and the suit being light, flexible and well tailored offers the rest?

Your thoughts please?

PS: Also what is the craft DC for something like that?

Thanks

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-18, 11:55 AM
Hello...

Apparently there are different items that does this, which are not magical. Like MW thieves tools, which give +2 circumstance bonus to two skills. So 50gp per skill. So could I tailor a form of darkweave uniform/ suit for a cat burglar, which offered +2 balance, +2 escape artist, +2 jump, +2 move silent, and +2 tumble.? And i so, would it be reasonable to assume it would cost 250gp? Actually its the boots that due to being soft and well made gives the bonus to the jump, move silent and tumble and the suit being light, flexible and well tailored offers the rest?

Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Firstly, really cool idea IMO. Secondly, I have no idea for crafting DCs for things like this.

What I think the safest/simplest way to do this would be to describe the suit as having tons of pockets/pouches/etc. The various different pockets are basically treated as a masterwork tool for sleight of hand granting you a +2 circumstance to that. Then in the hems you've got basically a self balancing liquid sewn in to them to assist you in balancing (or something like that) as a masterwork tool. Then in the shoes you've got springs that give you a little extra umph when jumping (masterwork tool) and the soles of your boots are padded and soft and make it harder to detect you (masterwork tool).

Do you see where I'm going? Instead of crafting a suit, you craft a variety of masterwork tools that are integrated in to the suit. I would say adding another 30gp on top of the price for all the masterwork tools would be acceptable and wouldn't be unbelievable.

Valwyn
2017-07-18, 12:45 PM
I think this might be handled by making several items, but it might be hard to justify them all in different slots (jump, tumble and move silently all would use the feet slot, I think). You could make a suit of light armor and count it as part of the ensemble. Underdark (the book) has the Muffling modification (+2 circumstance to move silently, +300 gp, +2 lb) and the Stability Weights modification (+2 circumstance to balance, +2 circumstance vs bull rush/trip attempts, lower max Dex by 1, +10% arcane spell failure, and increases weigh catergory, 160 gp, +30 lb). Tome of Magic has Shadow Silk (+2 unnamed hide and move silently, +2 max Dex bonus, armor penalties are reduced by 2, only applies to clothes, padded, leather, and hide armor). Asking your DM if combined skills are allowed would make this easier (hide+move silently = stealth, etc).

As for the DC, check the craft skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm). I think for non-armor items, typical or high quality should be the base line, then add the masterwork component. Ask your DM, but I'd say cloak/shirt/vest is typical and shoes/gloves is high quality (or at least I imagine they'd be harder to make).

Hope this helps.

Jay R
2017-07-18, 12:54 PM
Hello...

Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Ask your DM. This is not directly covered in the rules, so it's a DM judgment call.

If I were the DM, a black suit, for low cost, would give a +2 for hide. Soft sole shoes would help for move silenly.A long pole would be the tool for balance. I'd probably ask the player to come up with something to justify the bonus for tumble, jump, or escape artist, just because I can't think of one.

And they might not be universal. The tool that helped escape from a prison cell wouldn't necessarily be the one that helped escape from being tied up. The black outfit won't help at noon. The soft soled shoes won't help you be silent when crossing hand over hand on a rope. A circumstance bonus should depend on the circumstances.

Melcar
2017-07-18, 02:01 PM
Thanks

I have gotten the idea from already existing items:

Silent Shoes (Arms & Equipment Guide)
Bodysuit, Black (Arms & Equipment Guide)
Acrobatic Boots (MiC)...
... and the rules for masterwork artisan tools...

But I see your points in terms of having them be different items. One could say boots, gloves, shirt, pants. I would argue that boots could do two things... but I see your points... I do however want this to be clothing and not armor...

Thanks again!

icefractal
2017-07-18, 02:03 PM
Escape Artist - The clothing appears to be tightly fitting but actually you can slide around a fair amount inside it. So if tied up, you can probably slip your arms to a better position after they stop watching. Also it carefully has no parts that would get stuck on anything.

Tumble - Built in knee and elbow pads, perhaps? Tailored so it's loose enough to easily move in without getting in the way? Or for the "moving past people without AoO" usage, maybe big puffy / loose clothing that makes it hard to tell exactly where you are inside it.

Jump - Air Jordans. By which I mean alchemically treated rubber shoes. No, they don't give a huge boost, but I think it's justified for giving +2, especially compared to medieval shoes.

Wasn't there a thread around here for listing possible masterwork tools for all the skills? If not someone should make one. There's a few like Spot/Listen/Sense Motive that I can't think of anything plausible for.

Melcar
2017-07-18, 02:11 PM
Escape Artist - The clothing appears to be tightly fitting but actually you can slide around a fair amount inside it. So if tied up, you can probably slip your arms to a better position after they stop watching. Also it carefully has no parts that would get stuck on anything.

Tumble - Built in knee and elbow pads, perhaps? Tailored so it's loose enough to easily move in without getting in the way? Or for the "moving past people without AoO" usage, maybe big puffy / loose clothing that makes it hard to tell exactly where you are inside it.

Jump - Air Jordans. By which I mean alchemically treated rubber shoes. No, they don't give a huge boost, but I think it's justified for giving +2, especially compared to medieval shoes.

Wasn't there a thread around here for listing possible masterwork tools for all the skills? If not someone should make one. There's a few like Spot/Listen/Sense Motive that I can't think of anything plausible for.

That was very close indeed to what I was looking for. I just didn't put that much effort into the description, since I was asking from a mechanical stand point. I now see spending a little more time and imagination might be very beneficial for the mechanics too...

AnimeTheCat
2017-07-18, 02:15 PM

An ear phone headset thingy that amplifies sound in the direction you're focusing on (listen). Glasses that give you greater than average peripheral vision (spot). sense motive... hmm... a diminutive bard riding in your ear doing a bardic performance all day?