PDA

View Full Version : So I noticed something odd about the Elf included in the Starter set character sheets

CrackedChair
2017-07-18, 11:22 AM
The Elf wizard included seems to have a Shortsword, which they cannot start off with.

I guess it's just to keep them from being too hard to use when they get up close, but still, it does irk me a little that it's not correct what they can have, even with the other character sheets being correct.

Pex
2017-07-18, 11:24 AM
Example characters not following the rules? Unheard of!

Spookykid
2017-07-18, 11:40 AM
Thats nothing compared with some of the crap thats on the pregens.
A rogue I saw started with two weapon fighting.

CrackedChair
2017-07-18, 11:58 AM
This was just one thing I saw, there could be other things on the sheets that are not supposed to be there as per the rules...

Millstone85
2017-07-18, 12:18 PM
Maybe this wizard has 4d4 x 10 gp worth of starting equipment instead of the default?

Spiderguy24
2017-07-18, 05:09 PM
Maybe this wizard has 4d4 x 10 gp worth of starting equipment instead of the default?
That's what I thought too.

Finback
2017-07-18, 10:18 PM
It's pretty much implied that the PCs had "offscreen" lives prior to This Moment When The Game Starts, so they got it then. Hell, use it as a starting point for taking your own characterisation.

"I found this sword while exploring - it has a name engraved in it. I want to know what that name means."
"This is the sword I took from the man who killed my best friend."
"I don't remember where this sword came from. Every time I look away from it - I forget I own it, even when it's in my hand."

Dalebert
2017-07-18, 10:40 PM
You're allowed to sell your gear for half price and buy other gear. Shortswords are cheap. Does that wizard have a light crossbow? I could see a wizard selling their light crossbow because they have cantrips that are generally better options without the hassle of weight and ammo.

Don't have the starter set so I have no idea. Just a thought.

Finger6842
2017-07-18, 11:17 PM
Any character can use any weapon or skill in the game, they just don't get a proficiency bonus. Also you can find a master and learn any skill for 1 gp per day/250 days but you need the item in question for that. In this case it's even easier, Elf Weapon Training racial trait provides skill proficiency in Short Sword.

sir_argo
2017-07-19, 12:31 AM
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying the wizard can't wield a shortsword, or that a brand new wizard doesn't have a shortsword as starting equipment?

If the former, elves get proficiency with shortswords.

If the later, you don't have to take the equipment listed in the class. You can opt to just roll gp (PHB p.143) and buy your own equipment. A starting wizard can easily afford a shortsword.