PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What is Frystalline?

Valwyn
2017-07-18, 11:58 AM
Okay, so I know frystalline is a special material from BoeD, but what exactly is it? A metal? Wood? Crystal? The entry is pretty vague. All it says is that it's considered [Good] for bypassing DR, but that's it. No hardness, HP or anything. Also, what weapons can we make out of it? I think counting it as metal makes more sense, but I think it wouldn't be hard to justify wooden weapons as well (ranged weapons probably wouldn't work, but ammunition and thrown weapons sound possible).

TL,DR:
any official rules on frystaline?

Darrin
2017-07-18, 12:24 PM
Okay, so I know frystalline is a special material from BoeD, but what exactly is it? A metal? Wood? Crystal?

Not much description... it's a crystal that grows in a mountain cave. Crystal just tells us that it has a lattice-like molecular structure. But there's nothing in the description that tells us what sort of molecules it's composed of. I'd have to guess that, as a mineral of some sort, it probably has metallic molecules in it somewhere, so just call it a type of metal with a similar weight/density comparable to iron or steel.

Waker
2017-07-18, 12:27 PM
Frystalline:This mineral grows in the icy mountain caves of Eronia, the second layer of the Blessed Fields of Elysium. Its resilient, pale-gold crystals contain divine energy that emanates from a god that sleeps beneath the mountains. Any weapon made of frystalline is treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. The market price modifier for such a weapon is +2,000 gp.
Gold-colored crystals. If I had to guess, you could replace the metal parts of weapons with it. However since there are no actual listed restrictions on weapons, anything goes.

Menzath
2017-07-18, 02:15 PM
I would give it stats similar to Crystal(deep) found in the expanded psionics handbook, pg.182.
Or maybe one of the planar materials found in arms and equipment guide.

Didn't they also have some Crystal like materials in one of the Oriental adventure's books?

Darrin
2017-07-18, 06:27 PM
Didn't they also have some Crystal like materials in one of the Oriental adventure's books?

Obsidian. Closer to glass than crystal. And it only affects [spirit] creatures with taint, so it has no game effect outside of that particular campaign world.

weckar
2017-07-19, 05:34 AM
I love threads like this. For a game about fantasy worlds, it is often surprisingly bad on describing fantasy elements. See also: any discussion on what color adamantine is supposed to be.