PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvers for a Flesh Golem?

Afgncaap5
2017-07-18, 01:59 PM
tl;dr - What Maneuvers, Stances and such would you give to a Flesh Golem-like creature who's among the world's greatest warriors?

Players are nearing the end of an Eberron campaign, and the BBEG is Mishann ir'Wynarn. Due to a strange set of circumstances, she was not, as is commonly thought, killed by assassins, and is somehow still alive. I'm treating her as a kind of homebrew monster that's mostly an advanced Flesh Golem, but with some class levels and tweaks. She's got the living construct subtype and shares some traits in common with the Deathless. She's certainly not immune to magic, but she has spell resistance, she can be healed (for half the amount) by conjuration (healing) spells, and she's been practicing being a better warrior and (in the true fashion of one who would be queen from a region known for its own flair and style) a better performer when it comes to showing off in combat. Also, due to a recent deal with Mordain the Fleshweaver, she's close to regaining the "right" of rulership and has developed a weird ability to command creatures of the humanoid (human) type and undead who used to have that type just as an evil cleric can command undead, an ability which she's used to basically walk right into Throneport and take command of key members of the House Deneith soldiers stationed to guard the island and Thronehold.

The players have infiltrated the castle with a secret passage and more or less bargained their way past the fey/aberration/outsider spirit that was linked to the Wynarn family and guarding the deepest parts of the dungeon. It won't be long now before they make their way to the upper levels, and meet with Mishann for a final showdown (as the paladin put it, even if she's rightfully the queen and hasn't technically died yet somehow, ruling through mind control and collusion with evil wizards isn't cool.)

In all the previous fights the players have had with her, Mishann always had some need to "hold back" and keep herself from fighting to her fullest capability, so while I knew in my head that she had maneuvers and such I basically just had her use basic Greatsword techniques, a few cleverly timed longbow shots, and once the single level of Bard I decided that any Queen of Cyre would likely have. So I've not done much work on defining exactly what those maneuvers are (or even if her few remaining class levels should be from Swordsage or Warblade). Any suggestions?

Oh, and for added fun, I've got a tricky party to work with. Usually 8 players who are all at level 7, sometimes only 6. Action Economy is definitely on the PC's side, so a few advanced Deneith bodyguards are probably called for, no matter what maneuvers or magic items she has.

Nifft
2017-07-18, 02:18 PM
tl;dr - What Maneuvers, Stances and such would you give to a Flesh Golem-like creature who's among the world's greatest warriors?

Players are nearing the end of an Eberron campaign, and the BBEG is Mishann ir'Wynarn. Due to a strange set of circumstances, she was not, as is commonly thought, killed by assassins, and is somehow still alive. I'm treating her as a kind of homebrew monster that's mostly an advanced Flesh Golem, but with some class levels and tweaks. She's got the living construct subtype and shares some traits in common with the Deathless. She's certainly not immune to magic, but she has spell resistance, she can be healed (for half the amount) by conjuration (healing) spells, and she's been practicing being a better warrior and (in the true fashion of one who would be queen from a region known for its own flair and style) a better performer when it comes to showing off in combat
Hmm. My first thought was to use the Half-Golem (flesh) template from MM2... but that would grant immunity to magic.

Maybe some custom Grafts, then? Perhaps using the new graft rules from Magic of Eberron as a guideline?

For Maneuvers & Stances, I feel like Stone Dragon is pretty Construct-centric, along with Iron Heart, and maybe Diamond Mind. That'd make her a Warblade.

DeTess
2017-07-18, 02:28 PM
Based on what you've described here, I'd say you probably want some White Raven maneuvers (as she's become an effective commander of sorts), as well as a bit of diamond mind and possibly Iron heart (both of which would relate to her surviving against the odds). For building her, I might just give here a bunch of Warblade levels and base maneuvers known and the like on that. I'd definitely give her Iron heart Surge to deal with those pesky safe-or-suck spells the PC's might come up with.
From Diamond Mind I'd consider picking up Emerald Razor (make 1 attack as a touch attack), especially if the PC's have someone with extreme AC or if she has power attack. If she's got a weak save, You might want to pick up one of the diamond mind counters that replaces that save with a concentration check, provided that that is significantly better.

From Iron heart I'd also pick up Disarming strike, as nothing says show-off quite like casually slapping the sword out of your opponents hands with a dazzling flourish.

From White Raven, maybe take 'Leading the attack'. It confers a +4 bonus to hit against its target for all allies if it hits, though it might be a waste if she's significantly more capable than her allies combined. It also forces the PC's to take measures to stop her from just ganging up on the designated Tank, as that could end badly very quickly. For similar reasons Tactical Strike might be very useful.

If she's got a decent jump check, I would also consider picking up Sudden Leap from tiger claw, to give her a bit of added mobility.

For stances, Pearl of black doubt might be useful for turning the players action economy advantage against them, provided this translates to lots of attempts to hit her with weapons/spells with an attack roll.

Note that I've purposefully only picked maneuvers and stances of level 3 and below, as that is what I know a being slightly above the level of the party could do, especially if this being also has bunch of non-initiator levels.

Braininthejar2
2017-07-18, 02:50 PM
generate your own electricity to shock your opponent and revitalize yourself?

lord_khaine
2017-07-18, 03:09 PM
From what you say of greatest warrior, then i would jump straight at Iron Heart and Diamond Mind.

And there one maneuver in particular springs out. Wall of Blades. Getting to casually deflect an Orb of Force with your blade is priceless.

Afgncaap5
2017-07-18, 03:30 PM
generate your own electricity to shock your opponent and revitalize yourself?

I've thought about that a bit, but I'd have to ramp up the effectiveness of the Flesh Golem's ability for that to be viable. At 1 point healed for every 3 points of damage "dealt", a CL 5 lightning bolt would restore roughly six points. And more than a few players are routinely doing between twenty and fifty damage a turn, so unless it's an AoE boss-chamber effect that hits everyone, it cuts into her action economy to pull it off (compared to, say, a CL 3 Cure Moderate Wounds spell which would recover an average of six points due to her "living construct" status, or a CL 3 Repair Moderate Damage spell which would recover 12 on average.)

Telok
2017-07-18, 10:00 PM
Warblade and swordsage. Warblade has the counters and stances to trim down PC action economy a little. Swordsage is just flashy fun. I don't care if the throws are sub-optimal, chucking people off balconies is just fun.

Maybe give her a sidekick crusader to delay, heal strike, and white raven tactics. They'll go later and later in each round but it will increase her actions and health whole adding complexity to the fight.