PDA

View Full Version : Roland of Gilead

BruceBanner
2017-07-18, 02:00 PM
Hey playgrounders!

After watching the trailer for the dark tower, I was wondering how to create Roland from the ground up so that I could picth the concept to my dm in the future. That said, how would you create Roland? Assume 3.5/PF without third party. Thanks!

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-18, 02:11 PM
If only there was some sort of class that involved firearms... a "gun-slinger," if you will... if only (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/)...

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-18, 02:50 PM
I've been waiting for this thread to pop up.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I'm currently going through the books, (I'm on The Wastelands.) This character NEEDS third party publications in my opinion. Unless of course you're playing Pathfinder, then you're all set. In my opinion, not so much on the side of optimization, he needs a few vanilla feats. Quickdraw, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot, Shot on The Run, and other feats like that. He also needs some sort of planar transport system, as he travels between a multitude of worlds throughout the series. Leadership would also be awesome, because he's "drawn" (See what I did there? ;D) lots of followers on his way to The Dark Tower. (Jake, Susannah, Eddie, Father Callahan, and etc...)

Unfortunately, this is as far as I can take you. I would like to see the finished product if you go through with it, so link it on here if you decide to roll him up.

Thanks,
MC

Barstro
2017-07-18, 03:15 PM
I'm currently going through the books, (I'm on The Wastelands.) This character NEEDS third party publications in my opinion.

I've read all the books. IMO, publication should have stopped at about the third book.:smallwink:

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-18, 03:25 PM
I've read all the books. IMO, publication should have stopped at about the third book.:smallwink:

Oh, I meant that in order to build the character he needs third party literature, not that the books need to be republished. Sorry you weren't a fan of the series. It's tied with LOTR in my opinion.

Telonius
2017-07-18, 03:28 PM
I think he'd have to have something like
Wedded to History/Pawn in the Great Game, given the last couple pages of the book..

Otherwise, Naturalized Denizen (from Unearthed Arcana) could help with all of the world-hopping. Endurance and Diehard are obvious. He's got massive ranks in Survival. He knows the basics of falconry, so at least a bit of Handle Animal. Autohypnosis too. Maybe a level in Psychic Warrior?

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-18, 03:38 PM
I think he'd have to have something like
Wedded to History/Pawn in the Great Game, given the last couple pages of the book..

Otherwise, Naturalized Denizen (from Unearthed Arcana) could help with all of the world-hopping. Endurance and Diehard are obvious. He's got massive ranks in Survival. He knows the basics of falconry, so at least a bit of Handle Animal. Autohypnosis too. Maybe a level in Psychic Warrior?

I second this, perhaps Craft (Blacksmithing.) It's said that he used to make a lot of his bullets, before he hopped from Mid-World to ours, and found all the bullets he could dream of.

BruceBanner
2017-07-18, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Grod_The_Giant;22207573]If only there was some sort of class that involved firearms... a "gun-slinger," if you will...

Thanks for the utterly useless response Grod! You're a genius!

I was more interested in particulars as far as how individuals would build him. I'm well aware of the gunslinger class.

Florian
2017-07-18, 08:35 PM
For me, Roland has always been one of the prime examples how to not play a Paladin (without annoying the rest of your group).

So basically, Human (High Azlanti) Skilled ART (Heal, Survival, Knowledge: Local) Fighter (Unbreakable, Trench Fighter) 3 / Paladin (Holy Gun) 1+