PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Races for Himalayan Fantasy setting.

EccentricCircle
2017-07-18, 03:33 PM
I'm preparing a D&D game which will be set in a Himalaya inspired fantasy world on elements of Tibetan and South East Asian myth and folklore. Its a very rich area to draw material from, and one which doesn't seem to have been used very often, so should be quite novel for my players.

Rather than trying to shoehorn in the typical D&D races of Elves, Dwarves etc I'm going to use some of the mythical races from Indian Myth such as the Naga and Vanara (both of which have stats for D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder respectively).

I've been flicking through the manuals and have picked out a few races which I want to use, some derived from Asian myth and some which I can fit into that sort of setting despite them not originating there.

One race I want to use is the Goliaths from Races of Stone, as the mountainous parts of the setting will fit perfectly with their background. However I need to find a more Indian or Tibetan name for them. Can anyone suggest any "mountain people" in the mythology of those regions which might fit them, or any names drawn from Indian, Tibetan or Nepali languages which I could use?

Also if anyone can recommend any other races which would work well I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

MrNobody
2017-07-18, 03:41 PM
I remember a race of yak people, from MM 2 3e, you may want to look at it since yaks are common in the himalayan setting!

EDIT: the race is at page 200-201 of the english version of MM2.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-18, 03:48 PM
One race I want to use is the Goliaths from Races of Stone, as the mountainous parts of the setting will fit perfectly with their background. However I need to find a more Indian or Tibetan name for them. Can anyone suggest any "mountain people" in the mythology of those regions which might fit them, or any names drawn from Indian, Tibetan or Nepali languages which I could use?

Migoi or mirka? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti)

My knowledge of specific Himalayan mythology is not very extensive...

Milo v3
2017-07-18, 08:35 PM
You can use Astomoi and Caligni from Pathfinder as use them as isolated or "foreign" races, they were mythical races that explorers "said" existed in india when they travelled there.

EccentricCircle
2017-07-19, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. The Yak people will definitely be in, although I don't think they will be a playable race initially, due to the area in which we will be starting.

I considered using the Yeti, but I think I want to keep them as a separate thing, as I like the idea of Goliaths having to hunt the yeti and return with a lock of its hair as a rite of passage.

There will certainly be a mix of indigenous folklore and travelers stories. I've been reading the accounts of both Marco Polo and Ibn Battuta for inspiration, and they have some quite interesting contrasts.

Garimeth
2017-07-19, 09:04 AM
Cool campaign idea!

Rhakshasa, with more of a classic twist than D&D, would be cool - maybe not as a PC, but as a race in the area.

I also think were-people could work well as a race, just adapt the animals to the area and make it hereditary, not a curse. Aaracocra (the bird people, I forget how you spell it) would be cool too for a mountain campaign.

EccentricCircle
2017-07-19, 09:18 AM
I considered the Aarakocra (which is apparently how one spells it...) But decided to avoid having a flying race in this game. It might make any mountaineering that needs doing a little too easy.

goto124
2017-07-19, 09:28 AM
'Why didn't the Eagles just fly Frodo to Mount Doom?'

Beleriphon
2017-07-19, 03:43 PM

Mordor has Sauron powered AA-batteries. Duh.

TheYell
2017-07-19, 08:12 PM
The Valar really believe in helping those who help themselves.

Shabdkosh.com (http://www.shabdkosh.com/translate/%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE%E0%A 4%9F/%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE%E0%A 4%9F-meaning-in-Hindi-English) defines "goliath" as "samrata".

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-20, 02:17 AM
Mordor has Sauron powered AA-batteries. Duh.

But what are those batteries powering, bird chasing drones?

:smallbiggrin:
(It took me about a full second to read that post right.)

EccentricCircle
2017-07-20, 05:52 AM
But what are those batteries powering, bird chasing drones?

:smallbiggrin:
(It took me about a full second to read that post right.)

Yeah, I initially read that as "Double A Batteries" rather than Anti-Aircraft Batteries.
What Tolkien didn't tell us was that in addition to the twenty main rings, eight were also given to the Anthropomorphic animals from advertisements, and the Duracel Bunny is now a Nazgul. But that's another RPG campaign entirely...

TheYell: Thanks for that link, it could come in handy.

ElFi
2017-07-20, 07:23 AM
If you want another race from Pathfinder, you could use the Kitsune, which are another race taken from Asian (albeit Japanese) mythology. White-furred kitsune (which are mentioned in the fluff text as often taking up roles as oracles) could easily fit in as mountain mystics and priests, should the need arise. If you should prefer something a little geographically closer to Tibet, you can refluff the kitsune as Gumiho, their Korean counterpart.

goto124
2017-07-20, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I initially read that as "Double A Batteries" rather than Anti-Aircraft Batteries.

As someone who had to google it, thank you for clarifying.

EccentricCircle
2017-07-20, 09:41 AM
I suspect most of us use one type of AA battery a lot more than the other...

Beleriphon
2017-07-20, 10:50 AM
I suspect most of us use one type of AA battery a lot more than the other...

Speak for yourself. I for one need to defend my island lair from pesky super spy intruders.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-20, 03:11 PM
Speak for yourself. I for one need to defend my island lair from pesky super spy intruders.

Plus all my gadgets take triple A. :smallamused:

N810
2017-07-20, 03:21 PM

probably because of the nine immortal Nazgūl who rode fell-beast.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/08/28/81/0828813e9e74bfb4214ecc9c0a271e95.jpg
and possibly Barad-dūr, Saurons 3,000' tower containing his immortal essence and all seeing eye.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7d/4d/10/7d4d10982c9b04b3291d2857f8043e49.jpg

kraftcheese
2017-07-20, 10:09 PM
Snow leopard people?

TheYell
2017-07-21, 11:29 AM
Ghosts should be prevalent and ghost touch daggers should be readily available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_in_Tibetan_culture

Douche
2017-07-21, 02:48 PM
I remember a race of yak people, from MM 2 3e, you may want to look at it since yaks are common in the himalayan setting!

EDIT: the race is at page 200-201 of the english version of MM2.

These guys are also featured in Storm King's Thunder for 5e. I was going to mention them!

They're called Yakfolk btw