PDA

View Full Version : Golden Philosopher IC

SilentSilas
2017-07-18, 04:26 PM
GRMM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYLw_n9Z3c&spfreload=1)

“Martre? It’s a sparkling wine from Mercutio’s sun-kissed Emivirgin islands.” A waiter passes by with a tray of crystal flutes filled with lightly bubbling libations, offering it to the visiting dignitaries and diplomats attending the Tenenbaum Peace Conference. It was the first of its kind to occur before a war broke out. An ominous pall hung over the great hall of Tenenbaum’s ancient abbey, despite the alcohol-induced levity and the cheerful politeness demanded by protocol. All who were gathered here knew they were trying to avert the inevitable start of a war put on pause twelve years ago and only twenty miles away, when the main military forces of the seven nations were annihilated instantaneously.

“I’m a little young for such drinks, actually,” A young man with sandy blonde hair responds sheepishly, and the waiter passes by, not thinking to offer a drink to the young woman or automaton-thing standing beside him. Fletcher Tringham exhales slightly, his nervousness palpable. “I don’t understand why my brother sends me to these sorts of state affairs.” He comments to his companions, Katrin Lehmann and the soul-bonded armor known only as Remnant. The young man and the woman were both alchemists, but Remnant had been sent to guard Fletcher on the journey from Arborholme to Tenenbaum. Katrin had only come along as Remnant’s handler, observing his actions and reactions to various stimuli. “I mean, I’m mostly here as just an observer.” He pulls on his collar, trying to in vain to loosen it. “But honestly these events are always so stressful. I’m barely 26 and I spend every day in a lab with trees, I barely talk to other people in Arborholme as it is.”

Katrin pats the younger of the two Tringham brothers on the shoulder reassuringly. “You’re doing fine. Just don’t say anything that commits Arborholme to either side of the war and you’ve done the bulk of your duties here.” She reminds him, noting the historically neutral stance Arborholme has taken through over a dozen wars.

Across the great hall, a cloaked figure entered the building quietly, pulling his hood down to adjust to the social atmosphere and warmer lighting. Outside it was quickly growing dark, but that would have no real impact on the evening’s events. The actual politicking and negotiating would start the next morning, but before any of that could occur protocol demanded that a certain degree of schmoozing and sycophantry be met. But with many important people gathered together in an attempt to create a lasting peace, it made a great target for those who lusted for war. Thus, the homunculus known as Ego had arrived to ensure that the peace talks would not be sabotaged.

“Master Brom, of Abendsville.” The herald reads off of a card that Ego hands to him. He is ushered forward quickly to make room for the next person, some country doctor from Ekel named Elric. Thankfully there were no truly high-priority targets at the conference: no princes, no luminaries like Tolomeo Oswald or William Smythe, or inflammatory demagogues. That would at least lower the potential damage of any sabotage to purely symbolic value. Looking around the room, he saw a few potential spots where trouble could be concocted, but so far there was no signs of real danger. For now he had to blend in and act natural.

tonberrian
2017-07-19, 12:48 AM
Remnant stands silently, scanning the crowd. "No hostiles detected."

Daishain
2017-07-19, 09:56 AM
Ego thinks to himself as he surveys the scene, "A sniper seems unlikely, one or two deaths would not make a large impact with this group. More likely some manner of explosive device, poison, or perhaps even an assault. For maximum impact, evidence would be left implicating a nation that is blameless."

He will slowly make his way clockwise around the room perimeter, assessing the area as he goes, and trying not to call too much attention to himself. He pays particular attention to servers, anyone who may be concealing weapons, and good hiding places for a bomb.

Remnant gives him pause "A war construct? If that has been suborned, it could cause a great deal of devastation." Ego will continue to keep an eye on Remnant as the night progresses.

OOC This path will likely take him past both the POIs on the outer edge of the room.

SilentSilas
2017-07-20, 10:54 AM
Ego surveys the room with a careful gaze, trying to discern who of these people could be a potential threat… However, his attempt is fruitless. Walking over to the fountain in the center of the room, he watches the small freshwater fish dart between fronds and decorative rock structures. Off to his right he saw an older gentleman sitting alone at his table, quietly sipping from a hip flask that he furtively pulls out of his threadbare coat. Poison in the Martre, perhaps? Moving on to the patio doors, he glances out into the dusky boughs of the garden outside. There was a lot of cover out there if someone wanted to sneak up on the great hall… But there was a Merixian guard patrolling the green, so perhaps it was safe. There was also a group of Blackstone Alchemists nearby, quietly talking amongst themselves. They’d be able to watch the door, even if in many ways they were Ego’s mortal enemies… Homunculi and Blackstone Alchemists didn’t really mix. Hopefully they didn’t see the war construct either, they weren’t really fond of any facsimile of human life.

Fletcher laughs nervously at Remnant’s stoic observation. “I should hope there’d be no threats at a peace conference.” He replies, scratching the back of his head. “How terribly awkward that’d be! Ha… Haha…” The younger Tringham brother drops his hand. “He doesn’t talk much, does he.” He asks Katrin in reference to his guardian.

“Not so much, sir.” She replies. “Though he is a human soul bonded to armor, his time in the ice has rendered him… Taciturn.”

Daishain
2017-07-20, 12:10 PM
Ego resists the urge to pull up his hood in response to the men from Blackstone and moves on as if nothing were wrong.

Continuing around the perimeter, he steals a few looks at the construct and those with it. "Those colors, House Tringham? Hmm, unlikely they would bring harm. Knowingly at least. They might also be wearing false colors, it seems unlikely that these people would know a boy that young well enough to spot a fake. I need to determine if that construct is a problem. Well, this is a party after all..."

Ego puts on a smile and approaches the trio. Bowing to young Fletcher, he say, "Greetings. House Tringham yes? My name is Brom, an Alchemist from Abendsville. I had feared I would be the only youth at this event, I am glad to have been proven incorrect on that. What do you think of these talks?"

Ego is watching for anything that seems out of place with this group.

tonberrian
2017-07-20, 12:42 PM
Remnant turns to look at the newcomer. It gives off an air of dangerous watchfulness, as if violence could break out in an instant.

SilentSilas
2017-07-20, 01:30 PM
Fletcher turns in surprise when Ego addresses him. “Oh, well hello there.” He says sheepishly. “I guess my family reputation proceeds me, but we’re not really much of a ‘house’.” The older boy chuckles. “Just two vagrant kids who wound up leading Arborholme… Somehow… Eh...Eheheh…” Fletcher gulps, trying to contain his nervousness. “Well, it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Master Brom, I’m glad to find someone younger than myself here. I don’t really feel like I fit into these sorts of austere environments.” Ego might not find an evening of drinking and talking to be all that austere, but Fletcher seemed to find this place as stuffy as a courtroom.

“Oh!” He blinks. “Where are my manners. Master Brom, please, this is my colleague Katrin Lehmann, she’s an alchemist from Arborholme as well. This gentleman is Remnant, a…. Uh… He’s my bodyguard on this trip.” He explains sheepishly, avoiding the topic of Remnant’s origins. “He doesn’t talk much.”

“Hello, Master Brom.” Katrin says politely. “If I may ask, what’s your main topic of alchemical research?” From what Ego can tell, these two people were the genuine article and despite his intimidating demeanor, the man in the armor wasn’t a threat to anybody at the moment.

Daishain
2017-07-20, 04:16 PM
"I am sure you will acquit yourself well master Fletcher. In any case, Kinetics is my field, in particular finding ways to impart motion to that which is difficult to impossible to move by normal means. Mostly using elemental air, but I find earth useful as well in some cases."

"But it seems I was mistaken about the nature of your companion here. Remnant was it? Greetings, and apologies for not addressing you before."

To himself: "I believe the odds of these three being a source of danger just went down into the single digits."

tonberrian
2017-07-20, 07:42 PM
"Greetings, Brom."

Daishain
2017-07-22, 07:40 AM
To himself: "Hmm, well that confirms it, not a mindless construct after all. Time to move on."

Out loud, after making appropriate small talk: "Well friends, it is good to have met you, perhaps we shall speak again this eve? For now, there are a few others I wished to speak to."

After extricating himself, Ego continues his quiet prowling around the room.

SilentSilas
2017-07-22, 09:20 AM
GRMM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFa1lttaUe0)

“Yes, I’d very much enjoy that.” Fletcher replies as Ego takes his leave of the group. The sun dips over the horizon, traveling to meet the teeth of Invildass’ mountains. A gloom settles around the great hall, making it a beacon of light in the gathering darkness. The front doors are pulled open by the chamberlain, who takes the cards of those late to the party.

“Oswald R. Sommer.” He intones after banging his staff against the marble floor, his voice carrying over the momentary break in the conversation. Three Blackstone Alchemists sitting at a table look up in surprise, glancing over to see the Argent Rose Alchemist stepping in and handing his cloak to a servant. Ever the servant of the greater good, Oswald had come to observe the peace process and ensure that there would be no shenanigans occurring. Glancing around, he sees the great hall is packed with dignitaries and diplomats, as well as few alchemists - Fletcher Tringham from Arborholme, Peter Stahlgren the Crippled Alchemist of Rodstadt, and… Some old comrades of his. He freezes slightly, recognizing the insignia on the shoulder of one of the Blackstone Alchemists… The black cavalier of Diane the Crusader, chief lieutenant to William Smythe.

“Lady Allesia Cross, of Schweiss.” A beautiful young woman steps into the great hall, gathering not a small amount of attention from both men and women - a mixture of awe, lust, envy, and more lust. On her very first mission from Schweiss, she had been sent to observe the peace conference and spy on the dignitaries from Schweiss and Merix. It was a relatively straightforward mission and she had been led to expect it’d be a rather boring one. However, her heart still fluttered just slightly as she entered into the great game of politics between the nations of Zweischen. Her training tells her much about the people here - noblemen from the unionist countries, Invildassian diplomats, a Blackstone delegation led by one of their chief officers, the younger brother of Arborholme’s leader, and… A man from a time long past, from before the horror of Tenenbaum. Peter Stahlgren was a well-known man at the Oldrin Academy, mostly for how often he butted heads with the academy’s own Witching Alchemist, Tabitha Winchester. The two had been old enemies who had destroyed a quarter of Nietz’s capitol city in their last battle decades ago. Both were masters of alchemy, and Stahlgren was a noted proponent of unionism amongst alchemists.

Fletcher pales as he sees the radiant beauty enter the room. "I say, who is that young woman?" He wonders aloud. "She's... Absolutely gorgeous."

"Perhaps you should go introduce yourself, sir." Katrin says, rolling her eyes at how the young alchemist had become completely smitten.

Daishain
2017-07-23, 08:51 AM
Ego takes note of the arrival of newcomers as he continues to mingle and observe.

OOC continuing clockwise around the room, should hit point of interest #3 and then get back toward the front door.

Grim ranger
2017-07-23, 05:05 PM
Stepping in and brushing his hand somewhat nervously over his high-collared grey coat with silvery rose insignia curled around one shoulder, Oswald tries his best to ignore stares from the Blackstone Alchemists present in this merry get-together. He is unconvinced that they would try anything to push their agenda of national unification this early or publicly (or one could say radically), but he is regardless wary of them. It is unlikely that they have forgotten the circumstances of his departure from their midst.

Tossing his black blade to the feet of Diane and leaving without hesitation with naught but a promise of retribution should they ever harm innocents with their ambitions was most likely something the Blackstones were not going to see every day. Maybe that is why they have been keeping such a close eye on a well-meaning former bookkeeper from Schweiss, although they might just be testy when anyone questions their methods. Perhaps it is bit of both.

Either way, he is definitely not looking forward to speaking with any of them this evening, but it may come to that eventually. Luckily he is never unarmed these days, and gauntlets go with his attire better than a sword would anyhow. Less outright threats, more hidden power: just his preference.

It is somewhat of a bother to make a public spectacle of his presence, but under the circumstances it just cannot be avoided. Lurking close by without announcing oneself would be just asking for trouble in event such as this, so it was just better to mingle while waiting for someone dumber to make a mistake. And it is unlikely that he is the only one with that tactic in mind...oh the humanity, he is going to strain his face with forced smile today.

Folding his arms behind his back, the Argent Rose Alchemist sighs to himself, heading for the Crippled Alchemist of Rodstadt. Although they mostly only have their profession in common, he cannot imagine better company to waste the time with than a fellow practitioner.

SilentSilas
2017-07-24, 04:00 PM
Ego glances over at the pageantry of the alchemist, Oswald Sommer, and the alluring beauty of the the woman, Allesia. If mortal lust affected the homunculus, he did a very good job hiding it. Gliding through the crowd, he positions himself at the far end of the great hall, watching as Oswald approaches another alchemist with an air of familiarity. The younger Tringham brother on the other hand was making a beeline for the young lady from Schweiss, his bodyguard in tow. Next to the corner door, Ego could see an antechamber where servants and their supervisors poured drinks and loaded trays of finger foods. There were multiple corridors in and out of that antechamber, making it an excellent way for someone to escape if they so chose.

Remnant followed his charge as the young Fletcher walked around the fountain to greet Allesia in person. “Hello th-there.” He stammers, trying his best to give welcoming smile. “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of your acquaintance, I’m-” He pauses, for a moment, eyes going wide. Had he forgotten his own name?

“He is Fletcher Tringham, of Arborholme.” Katrin supplies with a smooth interjection, handing a glass of sparkling wine to Allesia. “And I’m Katrin Lehmann, his subordinate. He’s a little breathless from helping the servants clean up a mess.”

Fletcher shoots Katrin a thankful look and glances back to Allesia. “So, milady, you are from Schweiss? What brings you to the peace conference?”

Elsewhere in the great hall, the elderly Stahlgren smiles as he is approached by the Argent Rose Alchemist. “Vell hello zere, good ewening.” He says warmly, pulling out his hip flask and taking a swig. His thick accent was that of the Ekantian countryfolk, a rural dialect similar to common Zweischen but a bit thicker in diction. “Velcome to Tenenbaum, glad to haf your company.” Stahlgren chuckles, shifting in his chair. “No one vants to talk to a crusty old fart like myself, lest av all zose alchemists over zere.” He cheerfully salutes the trio of Blackstones with his flask and takes another sip.

Beige
2017-07-24, 06:22 PM
Alessia could hardly contain the spark of excitement as she stepped into the ballroom, maing sure to throw in a practiced twirl to bask in as many stares as she possibly could, enjoying the way her carefully selected ballgown caught the light.

“Finally, something other than that dingy old lab, a chance to prove herself and her creator as more than a waste of resources, and most importantly chance to have some fun” the young woman thought to herself, a genuine smile on her face mixing with the practiced mask of an eager young debutante at her first real event.. not that the mask was needed right now. Why she felt almost in bloom from excitement. The very atmosphere was a heady beverage, and the music, the light, the buzz of gossip and life even beneath the gloomy atomosphere of the peace confrence... it was all exthilarating. It was where she was, literally, made to be. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a kife, and she planned to stir the pot a little.

But business before pleasure as the saying goes, and just a quick glance around the room revealed a few choice morsels for her to get to work; Now, who would be the best appetizer to begin the night's work...

The Unionists would be a good start – a stable group and aligned with Cross' hope for peace, but she had to wonder if anything she'd find from them would be of much use, or if she could forge a connection the good doctor couldn't himself

Then there was the Blackstone Alchemists in attendance, which was certainly a thrill; she'd heard all the rumours about them and couldn't wait to see if any where true, and they where just the kind of group who's secrets would make her name and serve noble Scweiss in the long run, since who knows what the fanatics are after, and getting them on side would strengthen her homeland imensly should some excitement break out from this dreary cold war between the nations

The Invildassian contingent would certainly be a worthy endevour too – she was sure she could find so much delicious gossip from beyond the borders from them, not to mention swing any support of the higher ups towards a more favourable position, and she'd bet apples to oranges they'd be easier to crack than the Blackstones... though the challenge of the Alchemists was certainly appealing. Call the Invildassian Ambasador target number two. The Entree before the main dish...

...which would probably be Stalhgren, an alumni of the fine establishment that had crafted the perfection such was herself, a man of quite considerable power, prestige – and who wore his age well, she must say – and cozying up to him would likely rile up old lady Winchester, and since she'd been one of the first to try and see Alessia's project shut down, that was worth it all on its own. Indeed, time to play. Or work. She totally meant work...

Alessia had just begun to pass through the ballroom towards Peter Stalhgren's table when she spotted something even better for her; Fletcher Tringham, the 2nd in line of Arborholme academy was making a beeline right for her. Interesting, and he probably held the most power of any man in the room even if he seemed charmingly unaware. The other's could wait, she'd found her first dish. Licking her crimson painting lips, she offered the young man a cheerful wave as he approached, putting on the mask of the ditzy debutante here only for the party

“Good Evening, Sir Tringham, Lady Lehman” she began in a sing song voice, taking the offered glass wth a warm smile towards Katarin “My father had an invite, but he was too terribly busy with work and didn't want to be rude, so he sent me in his place. I must admit though, I am feeling a touch overwhelmed, little old me among all these glamorous and important people, it's all very different from my home in Schweis. Why, if you hadn't come to talk to me, I fear I would have been a wallflower all night” she added, despite being - in her own obviously correct opinion - the best looking thing in the room, taking a sip of the wine and keeping her smile in place for three... two... one
“Wait, you don't me the Fletcher Tringham, the charming prince of Arborholme? My..my lord, thank you for gracing me with your presence.” her mask switched flawlessly, deciding to lay on the charm and play up the little lost lamb angle, hoping to get Fletcher talking, adding a note of awe and wonder to her voice. “Surely, you have much more important measures to attend too?” she finished, putting on the doe eyes

tonberrian
2017-07-24, 06:55 PM
Remnant stands at the side, unnaturally still. No emotion plays on the face of the armor. It's almost as if Alessia's womanly charms had no effect on it.

Daishain
2017-07-25, 10:47 AM
Ego ignores Alessia after a relatively brief look. No guarantees she is not part of a plot of course, but if she is involved, it is almost certainly as a decoy. That would make the one to arrive with her worth looking into. Who's he talking with? Ah, the older alchemist, Stahlgren.

Ego will take a glance into the servant's antechamber, looking for anything out of place before moving on.

Grim ranger
2017-07-25, 05:41 PM
Although he tries to remain neutral in social gatherings such as these, Oswald can't help smiling slightly at Stahlgren's jab at the Blackstone Alchemists as he pulls himself a chair as well. He has considerable respect for this man due to his achievements alone, and his jovial nature is definitely not a bad thing either in the younger alchemist's book. He can only hope the Crippled Alchemist will stick around for as long as possible despite his circumstances: when he passes away, alchemists as a profession will surely suffer a harsh blow from losing such a mind from their midst.

"How impolite of them, really. I don't see why speaking with one of the sharper minds in our profession would be a bad thing. Maybe it is just my lack of status to protect, though" the Argent Rose Alchemist observes with some amusement, nodding politely to the senior practitioner. "Thank you for your welcome. I imagine I am not that desirable of a sight for many here either, so I do understand your plight in that regard. Oswald Sommer at your service."

Glancing at the Blackstones himself with slightly raised eyebrow, he shrugs his shoulders ever so slightly. "I arrived here mostly to make sure I'd be close enough to offer my aid should anyone try to foil the Peace Conference. Sadly, I do not have much pull in politics, or patience for such maneuvering. I imagine it will leave me rather ostracized from the festivities at large."

SilentSilas
2017-07-25, 09:23 PM
“A-Aahahahaha…” Fletcher laughs nervously at Allesia’s flattery while Katrin rolls her eyes. The young man was bright red from the attentions of the pretty young lady. “Please, milady, I am no prince. Just a humble alchemist. And really, you grace us all with your presence. Indeed, the evening is much improved by you walking through the door alone.”

If Remnant had a gag reflex, he’d probably be retching by this point. “If you are a Cross from Schweiss, could it be your father is Dr. Zachariah Cross, the famed biology-focused alchemist of Oldrin Academy? My brother collaborated with him a few years ago on a treatise on plant-based alchemy, which is our speciality in Arborholme.” Fletcher smiles brightly. “I wrote a few pages myself, but it was all their genius.”

Across the room, Ego takes a quick look into the servant’s antechamber. Nothing seems to be amiss from his view… But his gut feeling told him there was something off about this entire situation. Some small detail overlooked, a trifling matter from his past that told him to look again… He glances over by the door out onto the patio. His instincts were telling him to look again, but a little closer.

“Well met, Herr Sommer.” Stahlgren replies, scratching his white goatee. “You may call me Peter, I do not stand on much formality any more, heh heh.” He takes another swig from his flask. “And do not count yourself out of ze proceedings just yet, Herr Sommer. It can be ewen ze smallest woice zat makes a clamor to change ze heart of ewen ze hardest of hearts.” He sniffs. “And iffen zat is not an option, it is also fun to vatch ze fireworks of all zese people arguing. I do not enjoy violence, but zere is something amusing about vatching petty squabbles from ze outside to me.”

Daishain
2017-07-25, 10:45 PM
Ego tries to hide a frown as he mentally reviews his path through the room, trying to tease out what is tickling this gut feeling. Then he starts the slow process of wandering back over near the patio door. Perhaps his apprehension over the men there had caused him to miss an important detail. If nothing is immediately apparent, he intends to step outside for a time.

OOC Eidetic memory feat, Ego would have an extraordinary ordinary ability to recall and review things he passively observed, even if he never paid direct attention to it before.

Grim ranger
2017-07-26, 03:39 PM
"Well, if you are to be called Peter, you really should call me Oswald in turn. A Herr I have never felt like" the younger alchemist replies modestly to his senior. "I suppose there might eventually be a chance to present my own opinion, but I am not exactly banking on such. I have always been more of a man of action, but perhaps..."

Shaking himself out of his thought, Oswald smiles somewhat to Stahlgren. "I have to say, although I understand we have some differences in the methods we use to help the world, I have always been inspired by stories they tell about you. I can only hope I will eventually do something as noteworthy as what you have accomplished."

Beige
2017-07-26, 06:04 PM
Alessia gave a practiced giggle at Fletcher's comment - always nice to meet someone who appreciated a good work of art, and she had to admit she enjoyed seeing him flustered "Oh my, Sir Tringham, you know Papa? He never mentioned he traveled in such distinguished circles! Why, what luck I would run into a friend of the family tonight! Why, if it's not too presumptuous, would you do me the honor of keeping me company tonight - it is my first Soiree away from home, and I can't shake the feeling people here haven't realized it's a party. Did you notice the tension in the air, or was it just my nerves?" she finishes in an airy tone, pressing a little closer to Fletcher, before pulling back upon noticing the Alchemist's Bodyguard's demanour

"Oh, forgive me, I just got so caught up in the moment. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir...?" she asked, keeping on the mask of an excited debutante as she examined Remnant - the armor was an odd choice for such a formal event, especially when peace was the agenda for the day - but more than that, he was so.... still, so stoic. almost too much. She'd have to be careful, she didn't want to make enemies or tip her hand too soon, before she's gotten as much amusement out of Tringham as she could - or one or two bits of information she could use, at least

tonberrian
2017-07-26, 06:43 PM
Remnant gave off a more threatening air when Alessia drew close to Fletcher, almost going into a combat stance before she retreated. It stands at attention, not replying to Alessia, almost as if it were staring her down. And Remnant doesn't blink.

SilentSilas
2017-07-26, 07:37 PM
Ego crosses the room quickly, seeking an answer to his hunch that something was indeed amiss. He stops by the guards, glancing around quickly, earning a confused look from them in turn. What was it, what had he seen? It was something… Something from his creation, something so simple but so important!

“I zink zat iffen you truly vish to achieve notoriety, you haf little to do ozer zan be in ze right place at ze wrong time.” Stahlgren chuckles, his shoulders bouncing at his own joke. “But I am honored, danke, Osvald. You are certainly quite ze admirer, I do not haf much of zose anymore.” He leans back into his seat. “Iffen you vant to change ze vurld, iffen you vant to haf real impact, zan it is as I said… You must simply be vhere you are needed and to do ze right zing.”

Fletcher looks around at the charged atmosphere of the room as Allesia notes the lack of partying at the soiree. “Well, I mean, I guess it makes sense they’d be on edge… If this attempt at forging a peaceful solution fails, than Schweiss and Nietz will inevitably be at each others throats and drag the rest of us into another fruitless war.” He blinks. “N-not, um, that I have anything against Schweiss in particular, I-I just-” Fletcher smiles nervously, turning to Remnant. “Oh right this is my bodyguard, he’s on loan from the Ekelian military sort of, he’s Remnant!”

As Ego scans the room, trying to discern what caught his eye… He finally sees it, almost under his nose. A piece of chalk, broken off of some longer stick, innocuous, unless you knew chalk was what most alchemists used to draw transmutation circles… And past the guards there was a spot on the wall that had the telltale marks of a transmutation. Ego steps forward, opening his mouth in warning, when an explosion rips through the room! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdp_g-RYjQI&list=PLC0DB8FAE362E294C&index=51)

As the ringing in their ears slowly fades, those left in the aftermath of the explosion rise from the ground, coughing in the clouds of smoke and dust. Over a half-dozen people are dead, their bodies flung backwards by the force of the bomb, while others are merely maimed by the attack. The wall had been blown open, creating a gaping hole. As Ego pulls himself together, he notices that masked men with guns and knives were ominously approaching the great hall.

Remnant's metallic body had weathered the explosion with ease. He rose, covering Katrin and Fletcher, the latter of whom had only been slightly wounded. The young alchemist gapes at Allesia, unconscious on the ground, and immediately begins tracing a transmutation circle around the Schweissan girl with Katrin's help. (Allesia can now roll against her unconscious status with a +8 bonus from the healing.)

Oswald reels on the floor, the blast knocking him off his footing. Beside him Stahlgren groaned in pain, cradling his bloodied arm, hit by shrapnel from the explosion. He had to get up, he had to do something... It was like Stahlgren had said, the ability to do the right thing came in being at the right place at the wrong time. Now the Argent Rose Alchemist had a chance to prove himself!

Daishain
2017-07-27, 03:03 PM
Cursing, Ego blinks rapidly to clear his vision. An assault is coming, need to buy time for the living. What can... There! Baring his glove with the fake transmutation circle, Ego grabs the long table on the other side of the room with flows of inertial energy, slams it down across the hole in the wall, and proceeds to hold it there. That won't last long, but maybe it will let others rally. "Ware the doors, they're coming in to finish the job!"

tonberrian
2017-07-27, 08:40 PM
Dodging an explosion is easy, if you're fast enough. Remnant dodged the incoming wave of fire and violence with practiced ease, while Fletcher wasn't so lucky. After Ego's shouted warning, Rem switched to a battle stance with a quick "Engaging hostiles." His blurry form dashed out of the southern archway and exploded into violence, slashing four of the oncoming soldiers with an armblade, an alchemical array glowing crimson upon it and continuing to do so as he returned to his former position, ready to guard Fletcher from further hostile action.

Grim ranger
2017-07-30, 04:16 PM
Having known trouble would most likely try to strike during this quite controversial peace summit had been one thing, but he had still not been expecting explosions to start quite so quickly, and as a result had found himself on the floor rather than immediately up and ready for action in the wake of the mayhem.

Still, he picked himself up quickly enough, coughing and dusting shrapnel off his coat as he tried to take stock of the developing situation. Things were confused and chaotic as such situations tended to be, but it seemed one of the more proactive guests had the right idea, beginning to seal the unfortunate hole in the wall before enemies might use it to charge right in. It still left the doors unaccounted for, however... so it was his time to step up to the plate.

It was quite unfortunate that any utility alchemy he had access to would have taken far longer than the situation would likely allow. So he'd have to block the entrance in more old-fashioned way perfected by guards everywhere since time immemorial. This called for some armor.

Beginning unsteady sprint towards the western doorway, Oswald pulled up his sleeves, the silvery armguards underneath lighting up as he activated one of the transmutation circles carved into them. The mercury hidden in the canisters under his coat flowed out and swirled about his body, the constantly moving liquid forming imitation of suit of armor as he ducked the dead and injured while making his way towards his destination. It seemed that the Blackstone Alchemists were preoccupied with inscribing transmutation circles or laid out by the bombs: although he didn't like them particularly much, the Argent Rose Alchemist could only curse their shared luck. More combatants who were not ACTIVELY trying to kill him would have been nice to have, but perhaps he'd just have to make do for now.

Stopping next to Ego and keeping his eye on the doorway, Oswald raised his fists, the quicksilver swirling about his fists and creating variety of blunt and bladed weaponry in preparation of violence. It was time to hold the line.

SilentSilas
2017-07-30, 04:21 PM
The dust and smoke settles and those with the power to intervene spring into action! Katrin and Fletcher smile in relief as Allesia's eyelids flicker open, the girl regaining consciousness while Remnant dashes outside in a flash. The ancient soldier is silent as he skids to a halt in the grass, the energy of his soul rising to a burning rage! His arm blade flickers out, cutting down two of the terrorists in an instant and wounding two others. By the time they fall to the ground, the armored soul is back inside the safety of the great hall, leaving behind a guard to deal with the other terrorists. He'd be fine. Probably.

Ego's telekinetic powers work wonders, and he is able to lift the massive hickory wood table and slam it down into place against the wall, plugging the hole and preventing anyone from entering or leaving via the makeshift entrance. He's covered by the Argent Rose Alchemist, and the stage is set for their battle with the mysterious attackers...

tonberrian
2017-07-30, 11:38 PM
Before the terrorists could react, Remnant darted out again, slicing his way across several more. A blur of steel cuts them down, leaving very few of them still standing. Remnant returns to Fletcher's side, eyeing both doorways, blood dripping from his armblade.

Daishain
2017-07-31, 06:11 AM
Remnant is impressively fast, he might end this almost single handedly, he's... killing all the primary witnesses... Are there any left standing? Yes, at least one left.

Ego reaches out with his mind and grips the wounded man outside the eastern door. "I have this one, let us capture, not kill"

Beige
2017-07-31, 02:30 PM
Alessia was just getting read to deliver a scathing retort to fletcher, about what would be so wrong with glorious Schwartz ruling Zeishan, when the terrorists blast swept through the room. Caught unawares, Alessia crumples to the ground, the last thought on her mind before blackness momentarily overtook her and her brief life trapped in the lab flashed before her eyes was 'and this dress is ruined the first time I got to wear it'

...before coming back to conciousness moments later, with the only thing she could make out blurry figures and telltale glow of alchemy from beneath herself; that, and horrific pain throughout her whole body. Feeling a hand on her own, she momentarily closed her hand tight around it, with as much force as she could as memories of her genesis bubbled to the surface, before her eyes started to clear and she noticed it was Katarin Lehman, and she relaxed her grip, instead taking the offered hand back to her feet. "You have my thanks, Lady Lehman, I feared my time had come, and now I look a state I bet. What... what's going on?" Alessia asked, partly to keep up her act from before but mostly because the blow had knocked her head around and she had no clue what was happening besides it being some kind of attack

Thankfully, the pain started to die away from the healing Alchemy, but her wounds where still bad enough that she could hardly move from the spot. The whole room was in chaos, and not the fun kind but the messy, bloody kind, and a quick survey of the room saw many of the people she'd spotted before in similar states to herself or worse - including the motley crew she had to assume where there attackers, most of whom seemed to be scattered in parts around the room.

Serves them right

Wanting to make up for her embarasment, and get revenge for ruining her debut, Alessia tried to tap into her chimeric nature and unleashe her pheremones in a healing concotion to help herself and her new friends
- Katrin saved her life, after all, so of course they where friends now, even if the girl did seem somewhat plain - back on their feet but the pain was too much and her body would not respond. Frustrated, she gave in to indulgane with a stomp of her foot, only to be met with another twinge of pain, and cast her gaze around the room; a lot of base knaves seemed to have fallen, but not a one of them seemed to have the whits for Alchemy enough to cause the blast.... so where could the bomber be hiding?

SilentSilas
2017-08-01, 12:34 PM
“Oh hell… Oh god…” The final terrorist looks around at his fallen comrades, their blood staining the grass in dark pools. In mere seconds nine or ten of them had been taken down by one man… One man! He looked down at his hand, shaking as it was in the the dim light from the interior of the great hall. There was no way he could measure up to what horrors laid in there. The bomb hadn’t been effective at all, who knew if their objective was even halfway accomplished… He glances to his left and sees the only other living terrorist left, wriggling in empty air as if some gigantic, invisible hand gripped him tight.

“I’ve… Gotta warn her, warn them!” He gasps, turning around and fleeing into the night.

Getting her bearings, Allesia quickly takes stock of the situation. The bomb had originated from inside the wall, so far as she could tell, so it was likely a timebomb left behind by an alchemist working with the terrorists. Sparks danced across his skin as the healing alchemy performed by Katrin and Fletcher did its work, rejuvenating and healing the wounds caused by the explosion. Katrin smiles distractedly back at Allesia. “Glad you survived the blast. If you could, please step off of the transmutation circle so that I can heal Fletcher here, he took some shrapnel. From what I can tell, an explosion tore through the room and injured many people… Some dead. Someone wanted to interrupt the peace conference.”

GRMM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIjKkbQD16E&t=3s)

Across the room, the guard next to Ego and Oswald blinks, registering that someone had moved past them and cut down almost all of the terrorists standing outside the door, save one who was standing rigid, grunting from exertion as he tried to free himself from Ego’s mental grip. All the others laid on the ground, dead. As the shock of the attack wore off and it was clear no one else was coming to attack, accusatory mutterings and looks were beginning to be traded between opposing sides.

“Bring the survivor inside.” Diane the Crusader gasps, pulling off her helmet and staggering forward. The Blackstone’s second in command was grimacing, wounded from the blast, but alive and mostly just pissed off. “We will take him into custody for questioning.”

One of the surviving dignitaries from Invildass lets out a barking, incredulous laugh. “Like hell you will! How do we know this wasn’t caused by you people and he’s your last loose end! We’ll take him back to Lied to answer for his crimes! Two of my delegation were killed in that blast!”

Diane rests a hand on the hilt of her blackstone blade while her subordinate retrieves the blade of their fallen companion. “We, the Blackstone Alchemists, are the preeminent authority over all others, no matter how far we tread from home. Only our will is just, and he will be punished for his participation in this event, but by our hands.” She points at the dead Blackstone on the table. “One of our order has fallen, a paramount crime over what small loss you’ve sustained, Invildassian. The terrorist comes with us.”

"Remnant." Fletcher winces, holding his side. "Because of your... Enthusiasm... That man is the only terrorist that seems to be left. Do not let the Blackstones leave with him, but for god's sake don't do anything to rash in blocking their way. We don't want a war."

Daishain
2017-08-01, 12:59 PM
While the attention of others is occupied elsewhere, Ego uses a quiet moment to make the tranmuter circle on his hand glow with a false blue light, and makes sure it is seen in that state. Hopefully not too many had noticed what he'd done without proper alchemy.

That done, he pulls the struggling survivor inside, quietly addressing the alchemist and guard who were standing by him, "Can you help me secure the man? Maintaining this is not as easy as it looks."

Grim ranger
2017-08-01, 01:50 PM
Before he was able to properly process it, the fighting had suddenly ceased. The blur that was one of the guests had taken down nearly every attacker with lethal efficiency that made a shiver run down his spine and definitely made him glad to be clad in his full armor. That sort of speed just wasn't...human. And he doubted that he was the only one to have that thought run through their mind at the demonstration.

Well, possible future problems could wait for the time being. For now, they had plenty of present ones to deal with.

The mercury flowing out from the armor arrangement and floating between his palms as ball of liquid silver, Oswald nodded to Ego and gestured slightly with his hand. Streams of mercury flowed out from the orb to wrap around the wrists of the prisoner, neatly pulling them together before smoothing out into pair of manacles. They should do for now while the terrorist's fate was being argued over, although unless he could talk some sense into his former comrades, a fight was likely to break out over the criminal in question.

"Gentlemen, ladies, please. We have all been harmed by this, have we not?" Oswald tried carefully, looking from Invildassian to Diane. "While Blackstones are naturally esteemed protectors of the land, it does not make losses of others insignificant in comparison. I am sure all of us want justice to be done in this matter, so this man remaining in common custody until the attack can be properly investigated by all concerned would be most logical choice. Anyone could be involved, or no one. Thus, we cannot be so quick to rush to judgements and arguments over this. Please, will you not allow transparency in this matter, to assure all victims that justice is being done?"

He held Diane's gaze as he spoke, trying his best to project a resolute image while attempting to talk her down from her rash approach. Of course they were no longer comrades per se, but he could only hope that some sense of justice and old camraderie still remained. He'd hate to battle against the Blackstones here, selfish reasons for such aversion or no.

tonberrian
2017-08-01, 04:31 PM
For now, as the Blackstones don't have the terrorist, Remnant does nothing. Of course he's aware that there was another terrorist out there, but his orders are to keep this one from the grasp of the Blackstones, and Remnant cannot go after that one without possibly losing this one.

Daishain
2017-08-01, 05:14 PM
Ego releases the bound man to the guards standing there, saying simply, "be cautious, we don't want matters to escalate before we get answers. I will go make sure there is not a second assault coming."

Ego steps out the western doors, then goes through the motions of a transmutation ritual before flying straight up a few hundred feet. Pausing above the structure, he looks about, watching for any further signs of trouble.

Beige
2017-08-02, 01:05 PM
Even though she was still a little disorientated from the blast, Alessia could taste the tension in the air after the fight – everyone was injured and there had already been a surfeit of trust in the room bbefore, tensions high between the nations already. Throw in an attack and the blackstones throwing around there ego, and this looked to be a poweder keg worse than the bomb that had already gone off...

...looks like it was time for her to get to work

Straightening out her dress as much as she could despite the burns and cuts, she stepped towards the brewing argument, choosing to stand near the alchemist talking sense, and took a deep breath, readying her pheremones in case words alone failed her.

“E..Everyone, please, I urge you to calm down. We've all suffered from this horrific act, we're all hurt and upset and we've all seen good men and women die. Some of us have spoken in anger things we didn't mean, and I can't pretend to understand the feelings of those that have lost someone today, but I beg of you all not to let that anger cloud your judgement. We came here to meet for peace and understanding, and they attacked us to stop that. To foster war and distrust and division – every death here has been senseless, but if we do let this attack separate us, let this strike drive a wedge between our peoples, then it will be worse than senseless; we will have let them win.” She began, putting as much passion in her voice as she could, the vulnerable maiden begging for kindness to win the day. SHe felt the stammer at the start was the perfect touch to sell the act. Sweeping her eyes across the gathered dignitaries before ending with direct eye contact with the Blackstone's 2nd in command, her gut feeling telling her appealing to the womans pride as well as her decency would be much more effective.

“I will admit, I'm just a simple girl from Schweiss and I cannot see the deeper intricacies you fine ladies and gentlemen can with the situation, but if its not too forward, I would urge you to agree with this fine gentleman, this brave alchemist who risked his life to save us all from such a horrid fate. Let the bastard be raked across the coals in front of the people he tried to harm, let everyone see the truth and, when everyone is satisfied, our esteemed protectors from Blackstone take him and see he receives the justice he deserves for this horrific act”

and for making her look like a chump on her first ever outing. Alessia hoped he suffered for that, more than anything – and she didn't want to risk some overzealous blackstone torturer killing him before he spilt and denying her her chance at revenge from his companions.

“Let us show them that their attack was for nothing, that we are united, that peace can stand a chance...” Peace - not the best result for great Schweiss, but she'd rather not be swept up in a second battle, and at least it would help her gauge everyone responses ready for her report. Who knows, maybbe she could salvage things in Schweiss' favour afterall – if nothing else, she'd spotted one or two brilliant potential assets

SilentSilas
2017-08-03, 09:39 AM
Ego and Oswald work in conjunction to hand the detained terrorist over to the guards, who none too gently shove him to his knees inside of the great hall. They warily watched the debate between the Invildassian delegate and Diane the Crusader while Ego stepped outside, quietly launching himself into the air with his telekinesis. Visibility was poor due to it being night time, but in the distance by moonlight he could vaguely make out the shape of a horse galloping away out of Tenenbaum, heading south on the road to Rodstadt. There were no obvious threats to counter though, so at least the immediate danger had passed.

Inside the great hall, many of the dignitaries and delegates had gathered to the opposite side of the room, away from where the deadly explosion had gone off. Some were helping tend to the wounded or restore some semblance of dignity to the dead, but many were watching the unfolding events. After Oswald and Allesia had each spoken passionately in an attempt to defuse the situation, it was becoming quickly obvious that the room was on their side - Indeed, many of the bystanders were clamoring for an impartial group to handle investigating the matter.

“Friends of Zweischen!” Peter Stahlgren hobbles towards the main players in the small drama. “I zink zat zese two speak fairly, und truthfully!” He smiles at Oswald and Allesia, acknowleding their efforts. “Is zis room not filled vith zose entrusted vith ze auzority to make peace? Zan cannot you also be entrusted vith ze auzority to pursue justice? Let us gazer tozeger a group from amongst us, auzorized to handle zis matter properly and to whom ve can place our trust to arrive at a proper conclusion.”

Fletcher nods firmly, still sparking somewhat from the healing transmutation performed by Katrin as he walks over to join them. “Indeed! Can we not find some sort of solution to this dispute? Once we have the information we seek from this man, we can also dispatch a group to detain any comrades he may have that were not here. My bodyguard, Remnant, would be most useful for such a task.”

The Invildassian delegate looks somewhat sheepish. “My… Apologies. As Mr. Stahlgren says, you two have made valid points. Perhaps my… Wariness… of the alchemists of Ravenholme jumped ahead of my reason.”

“Hmph.” Diane folds her arms, obstinate but… Yielding. “Fine, I will have my subordinate join this… authorized party, as the representative of the Blackstone Alchemists. Should we find any information leading towards the identities of those responsible for this atrocity, then I shall dispatch him to go with any others we send to apprehend this villain’s cohorts.”

Stahlgren glances at Oswald. "Mein freund, I vould say ze floor is yours. Iffen you vish to interrogate ze prisoner or offer ze auzority to do so, I zink you haf ze impartiality zat is needed to mediate zose affairs."

Daishain
2017-08-03, 10:14 AM
"Hello, what have we here?"

Ego goes flying after the horseman. If he appears to be related to the attackers somehow, he'll simply grab him up like the last one. If there's no sign of that, he'll fly alongside, ask to talk, and gauge their reaction.

Fly speed is 50 MPH, just under twice as fast as the average horse gallop, and he can keep that pace up a lot longer than the horse (2-3 miles vs no specified limit)

SilentSilas
2017-08-05, 12:50 PM
The lone horseman fled across the countryside, and Ego followed. A break in the clouds allowed him to keenly see his quarry galloping as fast as he could drive his horse, fleeing from the terrors he had seen unleashed at the great hall. What could the power of man do against a creature as recklessly dangerous as that creature, Remnant? Once he could sense he was in range of the fleeing terrorist, Ego reached out and plucked the man off of his horse.

The terrorist screamed in terror at the sudden force grabbing him around the chest and wrenching him from the saddle. He tried in vain to struggle against Ego's vice-like mental grip, but soon realized it was not only futile, but dangerous: The ground below was a long, long drop. "What are you?!" He screams to the night sky, trying to find his attacker. "WHAT ARE YOU?!"

Grim ranger
2017-08-05, 12:58 PM
Slightly surprised that he was put into the spotlight but regardless not against such, Oswald allowed the mercury floating in between his hands to flow back into the containers underneath his coat. Considering that the attacker did not seem to be an utter frothing zealot, it was likely that reasoning with them was going to be more effective than simply trying to beat the information out... or at least more just, and as a result less likely to be called out by the gathered crowd. Regardless, he'd have to be firm in addition to fair: he doubted that the survivors of the various delegations were in any mood to see the terrorist coddled after his actions either. It was a fine balance to strike, but he would manage.

And should this succeed, his stint as a solitary hero of the land might gain some traction in eyes of people deciding on things, which would likely be immensely helpful.

Walking to the prisoner, he crouched in front of the kneeling terrorist, staring him right in the eye as he spoke levelly but still in tone anyone around could hear should they focus on it: he'd not want to be considered suspicious for whispering with the prisoner after all. "I assume you know who I am, so I hope you can trust my word when I make promises. I will admit that nothing you say will get you your freedom: we both know that, and none here would stand for it. But if you tell me what you know, you have my word in front of all these people that I will work to make sure you will get a fair trial, as well as to make sure you will not be killed in the night as a liability by whatever conspiracy is behind this attack. It may not seem like much, but it is the hand you have been dealt."

Sometimes a little bit of compassion even towards one's enemies went a long way.

Daishain
2017-08-05, 01:13 PM
Ego starts flying back towards the others, at a slower pace than he'd left, "I am someone who would never contemplate slaughtering a room full of innocents, which puts me far ahead of you. Now then, we are going back to those you tried to kill. Before we get there, tell me everything you can of this assault, how, why, and whom, and I'll make sure you end up in prison with a fair trial. Don't, and I'll give you to that thing which slaughtered your companions and tell him to make it slow. Choose quickly, you don't have long to start talking."

SilentSilas
2017-08-05, 01:31 PM
GRMM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cCR6MBAaB8&list=PLC0DB8FAE362E294C&index=19)

The great hall falls silent as the Argent Rose Alchemist walks over to the prisoner. The guards hold the terrorist on his knees, the man staring at the tiled floor and shaking slightly in the shock of what happened. A splatter of blood stained his leather coat... Not his own, but the viscera sprayed from Remnant's attack. He listens to Oswald give his offer in numb silence, before finally looking into his eyes. "Ah'm... A-ah'm... Ah'll talk..." He whispers, terrified. "Tha... They sent us to attack... Didn't say why... Said it... Was in the interests of Jericho that we... We do this." A murmur passes through the room as he says the name of his backers... Jericho had been a longstanding thorn in the side of all of Zweischen's nations, an insidious and toxic weed that refused to be uprooted. "W-we came from Rodstadt... That's where th-they brought us to give us the bombs and weapons... A warehouse on the river..."

"Jericho, hmmm?" Stahlgren strokes his wispy beard. "Interesting... I suppose they would benefit from continued conflict..."

Outside in the air, Ego's attempt to intimidate the captured terrorist into speaking was met only by sullen, defiant silence. It takes him little time to return to the great hall of Tenenbaum, alighting onto the ground with his prey in tow. Two guards came over to take the man into custody, and the terrorist looks one last time at Ego, calling his bluff... Will he truly hand him over to Remnant to be tortured to death?

Daishain
2017-08-05, 01:47 PM
Ego casually comments to the guard, hoping he plays along, "Well, at least we have a backup if the other failed to talk. I don't suppose there's anything left of the other one? I don't hear screaming anymore."

Beige
2017-08-06, 06:22 PM
Jericho... Alessia's face twisted into a slight frown at the captive's confession - it made a twisted kind of sense that the anarchists would want to interrupt any kind of peace talk, but it still wasn't good news; while she;d never seen it first hand, she'd heard and read about enough of their activities during her 'training' to know they where bad news. Subconsciously, she moved a step closer to Fletcher, Katrin and their killing machine of a bodyguard - not because of nerves or anything, of course, but just sensible precautions - as she mulled over the little the terrorist had already given them

now who could 'They' be - Alessia wanted to know, if only so she had a name for who to take revenge on

"ummm, excuse me - you said 'they said it'd e in the interest of Jericho', does that mean 'they' aren't part of your group?" Allesa asked to the captive, waiting for a moment to make sure she wasn't interrupting one of the puffed up dignitaries; it wouldn't do to incite tension all over again by ruffling someones ego

sorry for vanishing for a few days. work got a little hectic since one of our chefs is off and I had to cover

tonberrian
2017-08-06, 10:42 PM
Remnant watches everything, preparing to strike. If some hostile were to attack, while everyone was distracted by the interrogation, Fletcher might be hurt.

Taking 20 on Notice. Normally it's a minute, but Quickness 5 reduces that to 1/50 normal, so it's like a move action.

Grim ranger
2017-08-07, 01:31 PM
The Argent Rose Alchemist tensed somewhat at the mention of Jericho as well, clearly concerned by the newly revealed information. While it'd make sense for them to be behind the matter, it seems they were not the ONLY ones to be so, and had some silent partner backing their efforts. It'd make sense for someone to use anarchists as disposable pawns, but once the news of their defeat would spread, possible loose ends would begin to suddenly turn up dead and torched. It seemed they'd be racing against the clock on this matter.

"I assume you can lead us to said warehouse then?" he asked the terrorist, his eyes narrowing thoughtfully before he turned to look at Stahlgren and the rest of the delegates. "Once the news of this spread, there will be only so long that warehouse will remain unburned, so I believe it'd be the wisest for everyone barring the investigative group to remain here at least a day or two to make sure nobody possibly collaborating with the terrorists can sneak out word to them until it is too late. Would we all be in agreement on this?"

Daishain
2017-08-07, 02:05 PM
Outside, Ego senses the man before him bought the bluff. "So, have you changed your mind about talking terrorist? Last chance, once you pass these doors you are out of my hands. I won't be able to save you even if I wished."

SilentSilas
2017-08-09, 04:31 PM
The man stares at Ego for a few moments, glances at his fallen comrades in the grass, then turns back to Ego. “...We were told this would be a prime target for the movement, for if either side gains power through stability they will use it to crush the will of the people to be free. They will drown their citizens in the soporific poison of patriotism and loyalty, with no intention to ever reward those people for their loyalty.” He spits on Ego’s boots. “You may call me a terrorist, but you are a guardian of the true, greater terror: these states will never appreciate you or value you as a person, but you will always be a useful tool to them to crush people like us.” He looks past Ego at the great hall. “Every single person in there has long ago traded their humanity for power. We are for the people, the real people who suffer, and we will never stop fighting you.”

Inside, the shuddering captive flinches slightly as Allesia addresses a discrepancy in his information. “We… We were brought to meet a leader of one of the… Factions… of Jericho. They’re called Paradise Tower… The faction leaders don’t… Always agree… On how to lead Jericho and so groups like ours, independent of any faction, will side with them when they provide us with an adequate target to carry out Jericho’s higher goals…”

Remnant scans the room while the man talks, keeping a close eye on everyone. Most of the victims of the bombing had huddled against the far wall, tending to those wounded or killed in the blast… But curiously, a golden-haired man was standing close to the captive, watching him intently. Hadn’t the herald at the door said the man was a doctor? Why was he not tending to the wounded?

The captive looks up at Oswald as he asks his question, and then shakes his head. “We were blindfolded before being brought to the warehouse and again when we were taken away. I could hear the riverboats outside, though, so I know it’s down by the river, but there’s dozens of warehouses by the river in Rodstadt.”

Diane the Crusader cups her chin. “If one accesses the chamber of commerce in Rodstadt, it could be determined which of the warehouses is being used by the perpetrators through investigation and deduction.” She scowls at the idea of being restricted to Tenenbaum further, but assents to Oswald’s idea. The others are all equally less than enchanted with the idea of staying either, but they quietly agree to follow Oswald’s suggestion.

Daishain
2017-08-09, 05:03 PM
Silas shakes his head, "Has it not occurred to you that you may have helped condemn the people to far more suffering than you hope to prevent? The worst tyrants in human history inflicted less woe upon the people than open warfare does. So long as you fight against the possibility of people being certain they will not be killed by soldiers tomorrow, you are the enemy of all peoples, and a threat to their primary freedoms, not their guardian."

"By all means, fight against tyrants, topple dictators, ensure the people remain free. I would even join you in that effort if convinced it was needful. But this is not the way."

"For now though, whoever used lies to get you to do this must be dealt with. Where were you heading before I caught you?"

tonberrian
2017-08-11, 02:17 AM
"Query: Lehmann-Researcher, why is Elric-Doctor not tending to the wounded?"

Grim ranger
2017-08-11, 04:45 PM
Considering all that has been said so far, Oswald nods slightly to Diane. Although he does not like the woman much anymore, he would truly be a fool to disregard her thoughts on the matter due to personal enmity. Even if the Blackstones would be behind everything, there is little he can do to procure evidence of them or anyone else being culprits. It is always better to carefully pick one's battles.

"I travel light, so whoever else is coming along as well likely should as well. Speed will be important on this journey" the alchemist points out. "I hope some provisions can be provided? I did not think I'd be needing such so suddenly."

SilentSilas
2017-08-12, 08:38 AM
The Jericho anarchist simply glowers at Ego after his rebuttal. The two men are at cross purposes, but one is the victor, and the other the loser. "...Abendsville." He says under his breath. "A courier there would have taken a message to our patrons in Rodstadt and warned them that the attempt had not gone... According to plan. You can find them at the bottom of the old well in the town. There's more to it than most people think." Getting all the information that he can out of the anarchist, Ego returns to the great hall where he finds Oswald and Allesia interrogating the other captive. He quickly gets a rehash of what happened while he was gone and that there's an alternative method of finding this "Paradise Tower" in Rodstadt.

One of the Merixian officials meekly offers a response to Oswald. "There's a great deal of food and supplies in the kitchens here, you can take whatever you wish. Safe travels on your journey and may you bring the perpetrators of this act to justice."

Diane waves her subordinate over, who hands her the fallen alchemist's blackstone blade. "This is Lorien Freydottir. He will join you on your hunt to Rodstadt to ensure that the interests of the Blackstone Alchemists are kept in this affair." She eyes Oswald coldly. "You would do best to heed his council and direction in most matters, Lorien is a respected veteran."

"I would lend you my bodyguard, but I'm afraid for my safety on the journey back to Arborholme." Fletcher says sheepishly. "But as a fellow alchemist and pursuer of peace, I can give you this." He pulls a scroll from his coat and hands it to the Argent Rose Alchemist. "It's research on an alchemical array that will produce a cloud of enhanced allergens. We were researching it for pacifistic ways of subduing enemy forces." The Arborholme alchemist hesitates. "You will require some sort of organic raw material, like wood, for it to work... And right now it can't really be directed, so once you've activated the transmutation circle, you'll be caught in the cloud too."

Stahlgren chuckles, leaning on his cane. "Well, seems like you're all set. If I were a younger man I'd join you on this little expedition, but an old fart like me will only slow you down. I'll wait here for a day or so, but I live in Rodstadt and have some pull there. If you need any help or advice, come by my workshop there."

Daishain
2017-08-12, 09:10 AM
Ego responds to the terrorist, "Thank you, oh, and you should know that I may have fibbed a bit earlier concerning your surviving partner. I don't know for sure what has happened to him, but there's been no torture so far as I am aware. I suggest you take a good hard look at the people you injured and killed today. Not all were or are good men and women, but many are, and very very few can be described as having signed their souls over to anything."

Not long after entering the room, he addresses the group that seems to be gearing up to charge after those responsible for this, "If I may, the guard and I have been speaking with this one. Caught him trying to flee the scene. I cannot be certain of the veracity of this, but he claims to have been reporting to a messenger in Abendsville, one waiting within the old well there for news of the attack. Presumably, this messenger knows how to get in touch with these patrons. Seeking out this messenger and getting them to talk as well would seem to be a quick way to learn of the next direction we need to go."

"If you would have me, I wish to accompany this group in seeking out those responsible, I prefer not to leave a job unfinished."

Grim ranger
2017-08-14, 12:53 PM
"Well, you seem like resourceful sort. I believe I'll enjoy working with you" the alchemist agrees amicably enough: although the group leaving will need to be kept small by necessity, it will still need to be strong enough to conduct this sort of investigation where those investigated will undoubtedly try to shut it down. It could just be a ruse and he would never figure it out apart from random chance provided by paranoia, but in his book Ego has proven his worth by leaping into defense of the delegates when the events suddenly unfolded during the attack.

Turning to look at Diane with expression of a man about to eat something sour, he forces himself to muster up diplomatic response despite his distaste for his former comrades. "As long as he remains impartial and aids in the investigation, he is welcome to come along. But I will not be clinging to his every word. If what he says makes sense, I will of course take note of it" the Argent Rose Alchemist replies neutrally before casting his gaze at the man in question. "He should be wary, however, not to express much in way of his own opinions if he wishes to keep that respect of his within your little club. I could tell him some things on how quick it can just...disappear when some people grow bit too big-headed for their own good."

Composing himself again as he finishes his cutting remark to the Blackstones, he focuses on Ego once more as he stows the scroll given by Fletcher under his coat with thankful nod. "At any rate, it seems we have two possible targets now. The messenger in Abendsville or seeking records of the warehouse in Rodstadt. Personally I am still in favor of visiting Rodstadt, considering that chance is somewhat less likely to slip away from our grasp and information on what happened here is bound to leak sooner or later, but of course I will not be the only one deciding, so I suppose it comes down to a vote without this little party."

Daishain
2017-08-14, 05:49 PM
"I would actually suggest Abendsville. If we can take the messenger there, whoever is responsible for this is cut off from their first source of information on the outcome of this attack. If on the other hand the messenger realizes no one is returning, and reports the missed rendezvous, we may lose an advantage. In the meantime, even if things do not go well in Abendsville, the records in Rodstat are not likely to go anywhere."

"That stated, I will not object to Rodstat."

Grim ranger
2017-08-21, 05:19 PM
Forced to reconsider his stance in light of good counter-argument, Oswald goes on to nod slowly. Although he still does think his own thoughts have their merits regarding the choice, he cannot just dismiss the point of Abendsville being a mission of somewhat higher urgency than his own preferred option. "...You make a good argument. I suppose we shall head to Abendsville then, should nobody else be coming along?"

Daishain
2017-08-21, 06:48 PM
Ego nods, and says nothing more, instead looking around for any more volunteers to this particular foray. The inclusion of the Blackstone Alchemist bothers him a good deal, he'll have to be careful.

SilentSilas
2017-08-23, 11:41 AM
GRMM
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxjP43-6u0&list=PLC0DB8FAE362E294C&index=7)
“Let’s get underway, then.” Lorien Freydottir says gruffly to his two newfound companions. “We have no time to lose in getting to Abendsville.” He marches past the two and towards the main doors of the great hall. The servants gather up supplies for the road and lead horses around from the stables for the three to ride.

As the three representatives of justice mount their horses, the crowd quietly shuffles out into the square to bear witness to their departure. “Remember!” Stahlgren says aloud. “I vill be on ze road not long after you! Feel free to come by my vurkshop in Rodstadt iffen you need a place to stay. You vill be velcome under mein roof.” He waves them off with a wistful smile. “May fortune smile on you out zere.”

“We will write a letter to the princess of Merix, a humble supplication that she should aid you in whatever way.” Fletcher promises. “If your journey brings you east to Arborholme, know that you are welcome amongst our number.”

Diane the Crusader crosses her arms. “Don’t screw this up, Freydottir.”

The Blackstone Alchemist sighs and nods in response. “Hyah!” He flicks the reins of his horse and leads the two into the night, heading west to Abendsville.

After a journey through the night, the three arrived in the sleepy town of Abendsville close to the break of dawn. Dim orange sunlight peeked over the edge of the horizon, but it would be a while yet before the town was awoken from its sleepy stupor. Lorien hops off his horse and leads it through the quiet cobblestone streets, painfully aware of the noise caused by hooves on stone. Clop, clop, clop echoed around them as they wound their way through the streets to the center of town, where an old well stood proudly.

The alchemist peeks into the darkness below. “...This isn’t foreboding at all.”

Daishain
2017-08-23, 01:19 PM
"I am inclined to agree. I should be able to get all of us down there at once safely enough, but there may be a trap waiting. Are you willing, or do we seek another path?"

Grim ranger
2017-08-23, 03:57 PM
Hopping down from his own horse, the Argent Rose Alchemist joins the others. "All we can truly do at this point is to trust that the news cannot possibly have reached this place faster than our horses... So we just need to advance quickly and press on before someone DOES get the word spread. All we can do now is to go through with the plan. If neither of you have advanced defensive capabilities, I can go first to clear the way if there should be traps?"

Daishain
2017-08-23, 04:52 PM
Ego snorts a bit, "You are more than welcome to stay in front, but you are not going alone. Not least because I could end up breaking your neck trying to drop you down a hole I can't properly see down."

Ego looks around for something that could be lowered down the well while at least two are standing on it. A hand cart perhaps.

Don't think I can lower two separate people down there, but one item with a few passengers should be doable.

Grim ranger
2017-08-23, 05:55 PM
"It is unlikely there will be much in way of room down there anyhow, so someone who can rely on taking hits instead of dodging them would seem like logical choice here?" the alchemist replies as he uncorks his mercury containers, controlling the liquid metal into forming a ladder leading right down and momentarily anchoring it to the side of the well. "I should hope this solution is sufficient to get us all down?"

SilentSilas
2017-08-23, 06:01 PM
“...Just don’t touch that stuff with your bare hands, we’ve found troubling linkages between mercury usage and a variety of physical impairments at Ravenholme.” Lorien grunts before climbing down the ladder into the darkness. Say what you will about the Blackstone Alchemists, but they weren’t cowards. As Ego and Oswald followed, their descent was illuminated by the alchemist from below.

Lorien holds up a newly lit torch, showing that the bottom of the well had mostly dried up except for a vague puddle. A tunnel had been bored into one of the walls, disappearing into darkness. “I found this on the side of the wall. These Jericho types must have been using these tunnels for a while for their own purposes.” He places a hand on the damp stone. “...It isn’t recent. These are old, carved many decades ago, maybe even centuries.”

You will now be able to see the new dungeon map in the roll20.

Daishain
2017-08-23, 06:27 PM
"Well then, shall we get on with it?"

Ego pulls out a mauser, double checks the action, and loads a magazine with a pop. He holds it at his side as the group ventures on.

Grim ranger
2017-08-25, 06:42 AM
Clapping his armored hands together and causing the transmutation arrays carved into his gauntlets to spark with power, Oswald dons his gas mask and holds out his hand towards the quicksilver ladder. The metal quickly resumes it's liquid form, flowing down the well and down his arm, forming suit of armor around him once again. "Better to get to it, I agree" he nods, taking the lead and entering the tunnel, looking warily ahead.

SilentSilas
2017-08-25, 06:55 AM
The trio heads into the subterranean tunnel system, warily on the lookout for any trouble. As Oswald leads the way, Lorien follows up behind him with the torch as Ego brings up the rear, and they descend into darkness. The interior of the tunnel was cold and damp, making them pull their coats tighter around their necks. A soft, drafty breeze would sometimes hit them from all directions, like they were descending into the gullet of a giant. 20 ft ahead they came to a fork in the road.

Lorien holds the flickering torch out. "Which way now?" He murmurs, not eager to attract undue attention.

Don't forget to update your position in the roll20 map. I'm driving north today so I won't be able to update til about 6 or 7 PM EST. As a reminder for Ego, you've got a 19th century lantern (flashlight under your equipment, but there's no batteries yet so yeah) so don't forget to pull that out.

Grim ranger
2017-08-25, 07:00 AM
Looking both ways with a slight frown, Oswald shrugs. "I imagine we will have to go through them both eventually, but I would recommend starting with going to the right. It would be stupid to split up now, and that path we can at least see more of. Sadly, I don't have any real way of detecting anyone possibly setting up a trap for us."

SilentSilas
2017-08-25, 07:07 AM
Lorien glances both ways before nodding slightly. "Alright, let's go right, then." He gestures for the other alchemist to take the lead again, letting Oswald head down the pathway to the right. They move forward 35 ft. before the tunnel takes a sharp turn to the right.

"...This is going to be a long morning." Lorien rubs his eyes tiredly as the tunnel stretches further into darkness.

Daishain
2017-08-25, 07:08 AM
"The right hand path should work fine. As to traps, we'll just have to be ready for such."

Ego pulls out his lantern and messes with the wick for a bit before lighting it.

Grim ranger
2017-08-26, 10:49 AM
"Little we can do about it now. We chose this destination, best to just stick with it" Oswald sighs somewhat, advancing further down the tunnel and peering around the next corner unless something particularly hazardous occurs.

Daishain
2017-08-26, 11:26 AM
Ego keeps alert, occasionally checking behind the group. "Indeed. Let me know if you spot something suspicious, I can poke at it from afar. Should be safer than investigating directly"

Grim ranger
2017-08-28, 01:14 PM
"It is hard to tell in cramped environment like this. Anything could be dangerous" Oswald points out as he momentarily halts, going on to warily form his rose saber and stab it into the water before walking forward towards yet another fork in their underground road. "...We could be here for a while. We need SOME way to speed this up I believe."

SilentSilas
2017-08-28, 01:30 PM
The echo from the splashing water bounces off the walls and travels down the tunnels far beyond where the trio can see. "If we rush through blindly, we'll likely get in more trouble than before." Lorien replies grimly, holding the torch up to stare down the two forks. "...This place is a damned maze though, I'll admit it. Who knows how far these tunnels go?"

As they consider their options, they perhaps could almost hear something echoing back towards them...

Roll notice.

Daishain
2017-08-28, 05:26 PM
Ego tries to keep an eye out, "Indeed, and don't assume backtracking is safe either, they may be working around behind us."

SilentSilas
2017-08-29, 09:36 AM
GRMM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJ-Gf3YjOM&list=PLC0DB8FAE362E294C&index=15)

A gurgling hiss echoes down the tunnel to their right, causing the hairs on the back of their neck to stand on end. Oswald recognized that sound from his own travels, the motley cries of mismatched animals: Chimaeras. He could already hear the creatures sniffing the air, tasting a chance for flesh.

"Wild Chimaeras!" Lorien warns. "Be careful, they have all sorts of deadly abilities."

They had to finish this fight quickly, lest they attract more attention from elsewhere in the labyrinth...

Roll for initiative!

Daishain
2017-08-29, 04:17 PM
Ego focuses, and something strikes the lead Chimera, like a sledgehammer made of air.

Grim ranger
2017-09-03, 11:45 AM
Well, of course they just have to run into one of the natural hazards that he would rather not think about right away...ah well, he is prepared for the eventuality, unpleasant as it is. "I will block their rush. Strike at the ones behind the first if you can do it without hitting my back" he notes, moving forward to block the tunnel and re-forming the suit of armor around himself, taking a simple boxing stance as he readies himself to block the rush of the first chimaera to appear from the dark.

SilentSilas
2017-09-03, 12:57 PM
The first Chimaera leaps out of the darkness, its slavering jaws snapping shut just inches from Oswald's face! The alchemist manages to block its attack, leaving the beast on the ground. It was a misshapen thing, with putrified skin that had horns, scales, feathers, and leathery skin all blended together. It didn't seem to have only eyes, but it made up for it with plenty of fangs. Behind it he could see another Chimaera, eager to sink its teeth into his flesh.

Ego was quick to leap into action, focusing his homunculus powers to shoot a bolt of pure mental force at the lead Chimaera. However, the interplay of violence between the alchemical aberration and the alchemist led to his attack missing, shooting off into the darkness.

Lorien the Blackstone Alchemist narrowed his eyes, quickly tracing a transmutation circle on the wall of the tunnel and pressing his palm against it. Crackling purple and blue bolts of electricity shoot across the surface of the stone, causing a razor-thin guillotine of rock to slice through the Chimaera attacking Oswald. It failed to dodge in time, but the attack fails to effectively hurt the beast...

Daishain
2017-09-04, 03:59 PM
Ego tries once again to smash down the only target he can see.

SilentSilas
2017-09-12, 08:40 AM
The skirmish beneath Abendsville rages on as Ego focuses his mental powers into a focal blast, slamming the first chimaera into the far wall. A sickening crack echoes through the tunnel as it slams against the rough hewn stone, and as it slides to the ground a streak of red is left behind. Oswald attempts to lash out at the next chimaera, but it dodges, dips, and launches upward to close its jaws around his arm. Serrated fangs close down on his armor but fail to inflict any significant damage against the alchemist.

“Damn Chimaera…” Lorien pulls his blackstone blade from its sheathe. “Your existence… Is a mistake! Your very life is an abomination! Now go back!” He activates an alchemical sigil on his blade’s hilt, and bolts of blue and violet energy discharge from the transmutation. “GO BACK TO HELL!” The black blade shoots forward like a lance, extending past Ego and Oswald to pierce the toughened hide of the chimaera and impale its heart. The misshapen creature groans in pain, its whimpers drifting off as it slumps backwards to die.

Lorien retracts his blade and sheathes it. “Let’s continue onwards.”

Grim ranger
2017-09-12, 01:18 PM
Nodding his head ever so slightly at Lorien in gesture of respect, Oswald takes the lead again as the trio of them travel onwards. He can only hope that the sounds of the brief clash have not alerted anyone deeper in the tunnels, but it is not something they can really do anything about under the circumstances. All they can do is keep up their rapid pace when it comes to exploration and do their best. Although they do have another lead apart from the messenger who is supposed to still be holed up around the place, catching the man would of course be quite preferable.

Daishain
2017-09-12, 01:20 PM
Ego shrugs and presses on with the others. "I wonder what other surprises lie down here?"

SilentSilas
2017-09-12, 02:31 PM
The trio continue further past the corpses of the two chimaera, heading about forty feet down the tunnel before Oswald stiffens. He hears voices down the corridor, maybe three or four people talking amongst themselves. The alchemist could tell that there were beams of light stretching from somewhere just out of sight...

“You two, get up there!” An older man barks. “And you, get ready to move. My chimaera are tough little critters, but they’re not invincible. Ansoff, do you hear anything?”

A voice, a little closer it seems, calls back. “No… Nothing yet…”

“Hnn… If it was the messenger from the Tenenbaum job, they’d have known the path here… and not run afoul of those chimaera.”

Lorien leans forward. “Sounds like we found our anarchists.” He whispers. “How should we proceed?”

Daishain
2017-09-12, 02:41 PM
Ego whispers back, "Remember we need them to talk, I would suggest that you two act to disable as many of them as can be managed in short order while I do what I can to ensure none escape. If some can be intimidated into surrendering without resistance, so much the better."

Grim ranger
2017-09-15, 11:42 AM
"I can cut accurately enough to leave them alive. I imagine we would be better off storming them and rely on speed to disable them before someone manages to escape with a warning" the solo alchemist agrees quietly, the quicksilver once again flowing into his customary weapon and Oswald himself tensing up. "Stop escapees and we will disable them. On your mark" he whispers, nodding to Ego.

Daishain
2017-09-15, 02:18 PM
"No time like the present then."

Ego will proceed forward with the other two, As soon as he gets a sense of the layout, he will act to block the exits as best he can in short order. If there's something heavy he can move in front, he'll do so. If not, he'll improvise with a grabbed enemy.

SilentSilas
2017-09-16, 12:14 PM
The three rush forward into the next area. It's a large chamber, partially built over with the structure of the Abendsville sewer system. A rancid odor fills the air from the slurry of grey water flowing past, the refuse and disgust of the town above. Five men stood inside, three of them armed with knives and guns while an older man stood behind them, an alchemical array in his hands and danger in his eyes... But he was no combat alchemist, just an old scientist mixed in with a bad crowd. A naive old man who didn't realize these anarchists were no solution or balm to the wars and destruction of years past.

But behind the three thugs was another man, young and sprightly. He had an expression of fear and shock at seeing the trio, and quickly looked to make his escape into the abendsville sewers.

Roll initiative!

Daishain
2017-09-16, 12:24 PM
Ego quickly reaches out with his mind, grabbing onto the sprightly young man and throwing him at the next most problematic person on the field, probably the alchemist.

Grim ranger
2017-09-16, 03:54 PM
Moving forward in a flash, the Argent Rose Alchemist raises his signature weapon as he darts between group of confused enemies. This is bloody and dangerous work, but he has gotten rather used to fencing his way past armed foes, and with their surprise advantage the men before him don't really stand a chance. Barely correcting what could have been embarrassing slip, he spins in place, the quicksilver saber in his hand cleanly slicing through the neck of an anarchist before delivering a punishing jab at another. The spin is completed by heavy strike by the pommel of the blade, the frame of the sword rippling as he knocks the lights out of rogue alchemist apparently aiding the enemy.

SilentSilas
2017-09-16, 04:10 PM
As Ego and Oswald launch their attack on the Jericho men, one of them retaliates, shooting his pistol at Lorien. "FILTHY STATISTS!" He shouts, but the blackstone alchemist sidesteps his attack and activates his blade, cutting the anarchist down. As soon as the battle had started, it's now over. The stunned alchemist collapses to his knees as the courier twitches and jerks in place, unable to move.

"Please... Mercy..." The alchemist mumbles. "Mercy..."

Lorien retracts his sword and sheathes it, looking at the man contemptuously. "What a pathetic specimen."

To the right the group could see some sort of swampy, diseased pool of water, a cesspit. Further at the far end of the room was a dark hole in the floor, with an inky black mist rising from it...

Daishain
2017-09-16, 04:42 PM
Ego states, a little ominously. "Mercy? We just came from the scene of an intended slaughterhouse. There were children there, who would have all been butchered like pigs by your peers had there not been people capable of intervention. One of them, a good boy, if a little naive, was badly wounded. I see no call for mercy here, not for those who would so eagerly slaughter others so they could spread the pain and misery of war."

As he speaks, he draws the courier closer and holds him still to be bound. He indicates the pit at the far end of the room, "What's down there? Shall I drop one of you down to find out?"

Grim ranger
2017-09-20, 12:36 PM
Still holding his blade at the ready warily as he stands in front of the stunned enemy Alchemist, Oswald tries somewhat more diplomatic approach. "You are responsible for all the misery so far, so I will offer you somewhat of a deal. If you tell us everything you know about the plans behind this and contacts with Jericho that you may have, we will turn you in to proper authorities instead of finishing this right here and now. Considering you are valuable to us as a witness and less so as a liability to your bosses who will likely have you killed for your failure even if you'd escape, I imagine this is the best deal you are going to get."

SilentSilas
2017-09-20, 01:07 PM
Lorien watches Ego and Oswald as they get to work interrogating the alchemist and courier. “Ch-children? At the peace conference?” The alchemist says disbelievingly, their threats and appeals falling on deaf ears. “Next you’ll say we threatened the poor nuns of the riverfolk church there, too. Our methods may be brutal, but Jericho seeks out the greatest good that can be achieved… One without the tyranny of the aristocracy!”

When asked about the black, misty hole, the alchemist hesitates. “N-no, don’t throw us down there!” He utters, glancing at the courier. “He’s just a boy, don’t throw us down there, not down there!”

The courier begins to wriggle in place. “Not in the hole! Not in the hole!”

“If you must use such brutish threats, then throw me!” The alchemist begs, “Not the boy!”

Daishain
2017-09-20, 02:30 PM
"Your solution is far worse than the problem. War causes considerably more suffering and death than the worst tyrants to ever live, and often ends with a tyrant taking control anyways. This must end before more innocents are killed. Talk, now, and you'll both be delivered to the authorities intact."

Grim ranger
2017-09-24, 01:54 PM
"Oh, and just in case the hole is some sort of clever escape attempt on your part, I must note that despite being cordial I am in no way soft when it comes to dealing with anarchists. I will be sure to behead you before any undue body disposal would be done" Oswald notes coldly, the murders committed by the anarchists not forgotten in the slightest.

SilentSilas
2017-09-24, 04:52 PM
The courier hesitates, then relents... Finally. "The... The people who recruited us, Paradise Tower, they were working out of a... A warehouse on the river in Rodstadt." He mumbles, staring at the ground. "Warehouse 17, it's owned by a Merixian Barony, the Dukhats. They're... They told us to send word as soon as we knew the operation in Tenenbaum was finished... We... We had a horse ready by the cistern that would take me to the warehouse. They chose me to be the only person who knew because..."

The alchemist curses under his breath as the younger boy reveals their secrets. "Because... I'm dying." The boy says softly, staring at the floor. "I have a disease of the blood, and no matter what concoctions or ministrations an alchemist can provide... I won't last long. They thought I'd be a suitable candidate since I would take their secret to the grave soon." The boy looks the trio in the eye, one by one. "I don't... I don't regret my life. I don't believe you when you say we are the ones..."

The older alchemist speaks up gruffly. "Those tyrants will feud and fight over the pettiest matters of who has the proper claim to Zweischen or protecting their own power. You're just their lapdogs, pawns that they'll throw away without a moment's hesitation." He stares past them at Lorien, the Blackstone. "Just you wait... One day, they'll have their bootheels on your necks too."

The boy speaks up one last time. "There's... More of us. Elsewhere in the tunnels. In greater numbers. And... More." He looks at the walls nervously. "These tunnels go deep... Deeper than anyone could imagine, and there are horrors in the dark... There are things men weren't... Meant to see."

The trio stands at a crossroads, now... They may use the sewer system to return to the surface, hand these men over to the authorities, and continue on their mission, or traverse the other parts of the tunnels to find the other members of this Jericho cell.

Daishain
2017-09-24, 05:54 PM
Ego's face softens a bit,"For what it is worth, I am sorry. Know this, men will always squabble and seek dominion over each other. However, with time, patience, and diligence, the good ones among them can rise to positions of power, and keep such excesses to a minimum. War on the other hand only guarantees that the most ruthless and cruel of all men gain power, for only they thrive in such times. In fact, I find it far more believable that the anarchists are discreetely led and funded by a particularly ambitious noble than any other scenario. At the very least, their activities are being taken advantage of. Did you really think only you wanted that peace conference to end? It isn't the aristocracy that will die in the wars that may come."

"For now though, I would like you to be more specific. What kind of horrors lie below?"

As an aside to the others, Ego quietly says, "I think it would be best to go ahead and neutralize the rest of this cell. Drop these two off with the authorities and then come back down here?"

Grim ranger
2017-09-28, 11:59 AM
Looking thoughtful, the traveling alchemist nods slightly. "I doubt that we will have time to take them properly to custody without giving the rest a hint that something has gone wrong, but taking them to custody WOULD be prudent. We could split up, but I am not sure if our combined strength would be enough in that case. Regardless, it may be the only way we can silence the entire cell at once. To make matter worse still, as I would be needed to make the ladder up our entrance and another of us to stand guard at the top to prevent anyone from making a run for it, one of us would remain here by their lonesome. Making quick return trip may be the only sensible thing we CAN do. as much as I dislike possibility of giving our intentions away."

SilentSilas
2017-10-03, 12:25 PM
The courier swallows slowly. “Have you not heard the legends? A great series of caverns runs beneath Zweischen and its mountains, harboring beasts and creatures from the most primeval times. It is said that the Holy Emperor banished the last of them one thousand years ago, sending them into the dark pit where they grow and fester-”

“Feh.” Lorien shakes his head, spitting on the ground. “Disregard this superstitious nonsense, it is the sort of claptrap that the Riverfolk Evangelists peddle to the masses to keep them afraid of the world around them.” He looks at the thick black mist rising from the hole in the ground. “There is a natural explanation for these sorts of occurrences, and it is likely to me that we have nothing to fear from them.”

He provides some input as well to the discussion. “I can take these men alone to the authorities and be back in present time to aid you in clearing out the rest of these fools.” He looks sidelong at Oswald. “My turncoat brother forgets that his substitution for blackstone is not the end all or be all of alchemy, I can transport these prisoners with ease.”

Sorry about the delay, had a bit of writer's block.

Daishain
2017-10-03, 12:41 PM
Ego shakes his head, "I have found that enduring superstitions often contain a grain of truth at their core. The nature and extent of the threat may be quite different from what is described, but I will not dismiss the possibility, and will remain on guard as if the accounting is at least partly true until there is evidence otherwise. I suggest that you do the same."

Grim ranger
2017-10-03, 12:49 PM
"Turncoat, am I? I changed no allegiance. My duties have always been beyond the petty border disputes you and the rest seem so enamored with feeding, but I suppose would-be lackey of power-hungry warlords would forget about meaning of true justice" Oswald retorts in cutting tone, glancing at Lorien from corner of his eye. "I do suppose that it would save us time if you were to do so, so I am in agreement on this point. However, a word of warning: if any "mysterious accidents" occur to the prisoners to leave them dead or somehow incapable of talking while in your care alone, I will personally testify to every nation that Blackstones seek to destabilize the world to feed their own ambitions. Am I clear?"

SilentSilas
2017-10-09, 11:05 AM
Lorien stares dismissively at Oswald, “Even if it were in my interest to kill these men like dogs in the street, what could one man hope to accomplish against the Order of Blackstone Alchemists?” He snorts, creating chains out of the ground with his alchemy. “It must be so easy to revel in your morality, knowing that you risk nothing. We see the world as it could be, without those border disputes that you accuse us of feeding, where Zweischen is whole and united, at peace.”

He chains the survivors together, leaving with them in tow. “It is you, who offer nothing but empty criticism, who will reap what you sow: a world without peace.” He glances down at the Jericho members and laughs bitterly. “Even they had a dream of a world made different and were willing to risk all to accomplish that dream. Your lack of conviction simply marks you as another weed to be trampled over in creating the garden of paradise.”

The Blackstone Alchemist takes the terrorists to the surface via the sewer route, leaving Oswald and Ego alone in the nexus between the sewers and the old tunnels. Judging by the information given by the courier, there were more anarchists working for Jericho within the old tunnels… They could either backtrack the way they came, or enter the black mist tunnel to see where it led. Conversely, they could wait and talk until the Blackstone Alchemist returned.

Daishain
2017-10-09, 11:01 PM
Ego says nothing throughout the exchange, shaking his head as Lorien departs. "Pay him no heed. Let us just get moving. I don't suggest we take a dive below, but how about we explore a bit further on this level?"

Grim ranger
2017-10-10, 02:46 AM
Straightening his coat, Oswald nods. "It is sound reasoning. Best to become as aware of the possible dangers as we can. Do you want to take the lead this time?" he asks politely, giving the cooling corpses of their enemies a few more stabs with the quicksilver saber to be absolutely certain of their demise. "About time we handled this unpleasant matter thoroughly."

Daishain
2017-10-10, 10:51 AM
Ego shrugs and states, "I think it might be best if we keep on as we were, I can work from over your shoulder more easily than in reverse."

SilentSilas
2017-10-10, 12:49 PM
Oswald leads Ego back down the tunnels towards the old well entrance to the tunnels. As they pass by the rotting corpses of the two Chimaera they defeated earlier, they note that some cocktail of bile and phlegm within the creatures were quickly dissolving them into a putrid sludge of brown paste and bones. Moving past the grotesque sight, they returned to the original fork in the path and opted to go right, instead of returning back to the old well.

As they progressed forward down this new path, they had barely time to react before another snarling chimaera came bounding out of an alcove to the side, its jaws snapping shut just inches from Oswald’s face. Had he not been a seasoned warrior, this malformed beast would have taken his face clean off! It lands on the ground, giving a reptilian hiss as its five eyes center hatefully on Oswald.

Roll for initiative!

Daishain
2017-10-10, 10:08 PM
Ego attempts to grab hold of the Chimera before it can do harm. Intending to hold it for an easy dispatch on Oswald's part.

Grim ranger
2017-10-13, 07:47 AM
Raising his flowing quicksilver saber into a salute, Oswald darts forward in a blur, trying his best to stab the chimaera through the face as many times as possible in single well-coordinated volley of thrusts.

SilentSilas
2017-10-13, 10:26 AM
Having weathered the chimaera’s surprise attack unscathed, Oswald reacts quickly and thrusts his blade forward, skewering the beast’s head multiple times in a matter of seconds. The chimaera stumbles for a moment, its five eyes blinking dumbly, but collapses onto its side with a pathetic whimper.

“What was that?” A voice echoes down the tunnel. It seems Oswald and Ego had found more anarchists.

There’s a low murmur amongst the group ahead before one says loudly, “Go check it out.”

Footsteps begin to approach the duo, who have only a matter of moments to decide on their response to this new threat!

Daishain
2017-10-13, 10:33 AM
Ego places a hand on his companion to still him, puts up the illusion of a wall before the group, and gets ready to grab whomever is coming and cut off any call he might make.

SilentSilas
2017-10-18, 10:53 AM
Ego and Oswald lie in wait behind the illusory wall as the footsteps of the Jericho anarchists grow closer. Two men come down the tunnel, stopping in confusion before the illusion. “Was… There always a wall there?” One of them muttered, scratching his head.

“I don’t think so… This should be the way back to the sewers, right?” The other grunts, confused. Their conversation is cut short as Ego tries to use his telekinesis to drag one of them through the illusion, but his target resists the pull, grabbing the rock wall beside him. “What the hell was that?!” He yells, frightened.

Oswald is on them in an instant, prepared to attack.

Oswald, roll melee atk per usual. This will be a surprise attack so your targets will be without their dodge bonus. Also roll notice and arcane knowledge pursuant to the use of the illusion.

Ego gets a free reroll of the grapple since they tied.

Daishain
2017-10-18, 11:36 AM
Ego silently curses and tries to adjust his grip. If successful, he'll position the grabbed one in the way of the other's escape

SilentSilas
2017-10-18, 12:04 PM
Oswald is on his two targets in a flash, knocking them unconscious with the rose saber. One slumps to the ground while the other hangs aloft, helpless in the telekinetic grip of Ego. The alchemist's instincts are on alert, though... This illusion is no alchemy, at least none he has ever heard of, but such supernatural abilities are not uncommon... Amongst homunculi...

The danger has not yet passed, though. Alerted by the cries of their comrades, two more anarchists come charging down the tunnel to reinforce their fallen friends. Oswald is able to act first, however, before they can draw their pistols.

Grim ranger
2017-10-18, 12:14 PM
Although the nature of his companion's powers puts him somewhat on edge, Oswald is spared from thinking about possibility of betrayal for few seconds more at the very least as fresh set of targets appear before him. Brandishing his flowing Saber again, he moves like element that is his specialty, content with striking to knock out instead of kill if convenient. The more terrorists they can bring before local courts to answer for their crimes, the better.

SilentSilas
2017-10-18, 12:24 PM
Another anarchist falls at Oswald's feet, unconscious like his comrades. The last of the four hesitates and then runs away quickly, his panicked flight echoing off the tunnels around him. Now there were three anarchists that Oswald and Ego had to deal with before they could continue moving onward. One could only wonder how many anarchists were down here in the early hours of the morning, concocting plans to destabilize the aristocracy and wreak havoc across Merix or even further across Zweischen.

Grim ranger
2017-10-18, 12:38 PM
Somewhat surprised that one of the seemingly fanatical anarchists actually does the sensible thing and retreats at full speed, Oswald is left with little choice other than to pursue them. Getting the rest of the Jericho scum alerted would be a victory for the fleeing henchman, and he'd rather see all of the men and women holed up here dead or in chains than giving any of them a chance to make a run for it.

"Restrain or kill them, whichever is your preference. I am giving chase" Oswald notes simply before rushing forward, ears perked as he tries to catch up to the fleeing Jericho member. Under the circumstances simply killing their foes would be just as well as far as he can see, and much more expedient...but he will leave the choice to Ego.

Daishain
2017-10-18, 01:04 PM
Ego sighs, "Sorry, but I don't have time for this" Reaching out, he attempts to stop the hearts of the nearby men, killing them as painlessly as possible. Once done with the grim work, he hurries after Oswald as quickly as he can.

SilentSilas
2017-10-18, 03:48 PM
Oswald races down the tunnel after the anarchist, following his footsteps through the darkness before arriving at another black mist pit... He skids to a halt, staring at it warily, before slashing at it with some mercury. The black mist doesn't appear to be corrosive, just dense and almost impossible to see through...

Back a ways, Ego makes the grim choice to execute the three anarchists in cold blood, holding their hearts in his telekinetic grip until each of them passes away. As he chases after Oswald, he comes to a fork in the tunnel... Which way did Oswald go?

Turning right and jogging briskly, Ego catches up to Oswald at the black mist pit.

Daishain
2017-10-18, 09:12 PM
Catching up to Oswald, Ego nods at him, "I can't say I like the look of that, and based on the reactions of the others, I doubt these guys went in here, lets try another path."

Grim ranger
2017-10-24, 12:28 PM
"Alright, I suppose it is only sensible" Oswald agrees with a nod, eyeing the pit warily before beginning to make his way back towards the other route with Ego. He can't really tell if the anarchists really were telling the truth about the pits being dangerous, but it is better not to take risks immediately.

SilentSilas
2017-10-24, 12:38 PM
The two adventurers back track and head down the other available tunnel, sending rats scurrying away as they pick through the mud. It's not long before they arrive at a heavy wooden door that looks like its been standing there for centuries, with a bar placed across it and chains locking it shut... But if they were trying to keep the two out, then why lock the door from the outside? Oh well, it's not like it would hold a trained alchemist out anyhow.

Daishain
2017-10-24, 12:43 PM
"Hmph, once again I must counsel trying another direction. Obviously they didn't run this way, and if they had reason to seal this off with a door this heavy, I am uncertain I wish to know why."

Grim ranger
2017-10-31, 11:15 AM
"There is simply no other direction to do" the alchemist reminds him with a frown. "We will have to go through this door, or jump into the ominous fog. Which one do you prefer to take your chances with?"