PDA

View Full Version : wierd but fun spell applications.

Calthropstu
2017-07-18, 05:08 PM
I wanted to create a fun thread on odd spell applications.
For instance, wall of stone + stone to flesh = wall of bacon, polymorph any object to turn a rock into a human, then flesh to stone to turn the human into a statue to make someone with detect magic confused as hell, Illusionary wall over a wall. Some fun weird spell uses that just make you say... "what?"
Name some, discuss some, laugh some.

logic_error
2017-07-18, 05:32 PM
Shrink boulders permanently and have your high dex/high BAB fellows toss them at enemies while muttering activation words.

2017-07-18, 05:43 PM
Wall Of Stone+Animate Object+Stone to Flesh. Let's see those adventurers have the stomach to hack down that wall now.

flappeercraft
2017-07-18, 05:51 PM
Reverse gravity on bathrooms. Nuff said

prototype00
2017-07-18, 08:16 PM
I was always amused at the possibility of Water Walk to turn into a Save or Die spell against non amphibious aquatic creature with no land speed.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-18, 08:22 PM
Use Minor Creation to make large amounts of vegan food.

Nifft
2017-07-18, 08:46 PM
I recall reading a clever list of things to do with the mount spell.

Some of them included:
- Use mount horse to walk through corridor, thereby finding traps
- Take cover behind the mount horse
- Sell the mount horse for gold, then leave town

Goaty14
2017-07-18, 08:56 PM
Sphere of defenestration with the Invisible Spell metamagic, People keep getting thrown out of the windows for no apparent reason (does widen spell apply too?)

I recall reading a clever list of things to do with the mount spell.

Some of them included:
- Use mount horse to walk through corridor, thereby finding traps
- Take cover behind the mount horse

Use Wall of Horse (Regal Procession) which is just like mount except it scales.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-18, 09:00 PM
Sphere of defenestration with the Invisible Spell metamagic, People keep getting thrown out of the windows for no apparent reason (does widen spell apply too?)

This made me laugh more than it probably should have.

Coretron03
2017-07-18, 09:23 PM
Fog spells with the Invisble metamagic, then turn invisble? Its either people can't see you, or they can't see you while you stand in fog that doesn't affect you.

Hackulator
2017-07-18, 09:44 PM
Fog spells with the Invisble metamagic, then turn invisble? Its either people can't see you, or they can't see you while you stand in fog that doesn't affect you.

Thats kind of brilliant.

gorfnab
2017-07-18, 10:17 PM
Use Wall of Horse (Regal Procession) which is just like mount except it scales.
Regal Procession (SC) - transport your party, create a distraction, clog a city street, find lots of traps in a dungeon, block off a chunk of battlefield (wall of horse), list or sink a small ship (a standard quarter horse can weigh around 1000lbs), make it appear to anyone following your party that your party is larger that previously encountered, create a grand entrance (the horses come with adornments and banners), etc. The Invisible Spell metamagic feat can make this even more fun if your DM allows it.

Coretron03
2017-07-18, 11:04 PM
Thats kind of brilliant.

I wish I could take credit for it but I didn't come up with it. It comes up when discussing Invisble spell. It is, however, pretty much genius.

Gildedragon
2017-07-19, 02:07 AM
Prestidigitation is immeasurably magnificent at this. It potentially allows one to have special material ammo early in game

Using Deafness on a sorcerer that had gotten controlled by song and was going to jump overboard.

barakaka
2017-07-19, 06:45 PM
Slipsand is bonkers when you're alone. It's like Quicksand, but you can't swim or tread water in it. You immediately sink to the bottom and begin drowning. That means you're dead if you're alone, or your friends also got caught in it.

The level 4 druid spell is close range and creates 10ft cubes/level! Your whole party just wiped because none of you were already flying. Or even if you were, with that much slipsand, and the fact your friends are at the bottom and can't see you means you're not going to make it close enough to them to make the strength check to pull them out! And this can be done in combat. Standard action. No save.

Now if your party is warforged or air goblins, or prepared with desmodu breathing masks, then combat gets super weird.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-19, 08:11 PM
A sorcerer who used exploding runes and knowedge arc and eng to be a professional demolitions expert. He dropped many buildings in that game...

flappeercraft
2017-07-19, 08:21 PM
With 2 clerics you could use the spell Rejection to basically play ping pong with foes. Actually, now that I think about it, I am definitely making that an adversary to my players.

Venger
2017-07-20, 01:12 AM
Regal Procession (SC) - transport your party, create a distraction, clog a city street, find lots of traps in a dungeon, block off a chunk of battlefield (wall of horse), list or sink a small ship (a standard quarter horse can weigh around 1000lbs), make it appear to anyone following your party that your party is larger that previously encountered, create a grand entrance (the horses come with adornments and banners), etc. The Invisible Spell metamagic feat can make this even more fun if your DM allows it.

I always call that one "horse field"

Inevitability
2017-07-20, 01:17 AM

Even better: summon as many Mounts as you want, wait for them to disappear, collect the saddles, bits and bridles now laying about (remember, kids, summoned items don't return when the spell's duration ends!) and sell those.