PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Without any major spoilers, I want some advice on what to play in HotDQ

Klorox
2017-07-18, 10:42 PM
I just want to know if there are any certain races or classes that can either have special boons, or roleplaying opportunities, or if there are any classes that especially suck in this module.

Thanks!

Falcon X
2017-07-19, 12:50 AM
I think bards and arcane tricksters are exceptional in HotDQ, if you are a roguishly minded player and your DM plays for fun. There are just too many parts in it where a stealthy, charismatic, and skilled character can shine.

There are a few longer dungeons, so some healing in the party is nice. I would choose a Vengeance Paladin or Druid to fill this role as I think they would add flavor to the game.

As for race:
- anything related to dragons is a given. Dragonborn, kobolds, or even lizardmen will add role playing value.

Sirithhyando
2017-07-19, 06:14 AM
Variant ranger with dragon as your favored enemy, that would definitly help.

Falcon X
2017-07-19, 06:20 PM
Variant ranger with dragon as your favored enemy, that would definitly help.
See fin gen DM will accept "dragon-blooded" as a favored enemy and you're all set.

A ranger is also a fine choice if your DM allows Aragorn-like levels of tracking in almost every situation.
Seriously, have the DM draw a map of footprints everywhere you go.

Also, the DM should have a variant list of Background options from the book that he may or may not want to be used. Feel free to inquire.

Naanomi
2017-07-19, 06:45 PM
Know Draconic is the biggest thing... being Dragonborn or a Dragon sorcerer also has some perks.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-07-19, 07:06 PM
Access to elemental resistances can be highly useful. In particular, the absorb elements spell is a life saver.

Falcon X
2017-07-19, 07:20 PM
Know Draconic is the biggest thing... being Dragonborn or a Dragon sorcerer also has some perks.

I think as long as one or two party members have Draconic, you will be fine. But I don't know if it will give as many roleplaying opportunities as being a draconic race (dragonborn, kobold, lizardman).
It depends on how your DM responds to both.

Note: I don't speak of perks here. The language is a straight perk. Draconic races just flavor your experience as a whole and may help or hurt you at times.

Naanomi
2017-07-19, 07:48 PM
It is easy to forget; but do remember that dragon sorcerers get Draconic for free; and have 'Expertise' on all Charisma checks with dragons...

Klorox
2017-07-21, 05:00 AM
It is easy to forget; but do remember that dragon sorcerers get Draconic for free; and have 'Expertise' on all Charisma checks with dragons...

Hmmmm... Considering I've been itching to play one, perhaps a draconic sorcerer would be cool.

Alternately, a paladin 2/draconic sorcerer X might work as well.