PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with Gestalt Build! Fighter and Cleric

tatszico
2017-07-18, 10:45 PM
Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding on which Cleric Domain - TEMPEST or WAR - to pick up to pair with a Battlemaster Fighter. Gonna be point buying with STR 16, DEX 10, INT 8, CON 14, WIS 16, CHA 8. V. Human GWM and GWF. Basically gonna be a melee front-liner with some magical firepower to pair up with my girlfriend's skill-monkey range character. Starting level is 5.

Which Domain would synergize best with a Battlemaster? I could see pros for both and it's making it hard to choose.

War would pair really well with he -5/+10 feature of GWM and the bonus action attack can let me be pretty nasty when combined with a full-powered extra attack capable fighter. I also have Divine Favor and Crusader's Mantle that could stack very well with the extra attacks.

Tempest is really cool in flavor and can offer massive AoE nukes. It's Divine Strike offers another type of damage which can be useful with enemies being resistant. Wrath of the Storm is generally better overall compared to War's bonus attack action due to the spell Spiritual Weapon also costing a bonus action and it has no concentration once cast.

Decisions, decisions! I seriously cannot decide at all so I want some opinions from your guys! This will be my first gestalt campaign and I'm quite excited. GM already said that the enemies have been scaled really well and the campaign's theme will pretty much be high fantasy with god-like abilities. Which of the two could give me the most DPR as well as the durability to protect my ally? Any other tips, advise, or additions to the build so far?

EDIT: No UA or homebrewd things allowed, unfortunately!

Finger6842
2017-07-18, 10:54 PM
Hey all, I'm having trouble deciding on which Cleric Domain - TEMPEST or WAR - to pick up to pair with a Battlemaster Fighter. Gonna be point buying with STR 16, DEX 10, INT 8, CON 14, WIS 16, CHA 8. V. Human GWM and GWF. Basically gonna be a melee front-liner with some magical firepower to pair up with my girlfriend's skill-monkey range character. Starting level is 5.

Which Domain would synergize best with a Battlemaster? I could see pros for both and it's making it hard to choose.

War would pair really well with he -5/+10 feature of GWM and the bonus action attack can let me be pretty nasty when combined with a full-powered extra attack capable fighter. I also have Divine Favor and Crusader's Mantle that could stack very well with the extra attacks.

Tempest is really cool in flavor and can offer massive AoE nukes. It's Divine Strike offers another type of damage which can be useful with enemies being resistant. Wrath of the Storm is generally better overall compared to War's bonus attack action due to the spell Spiritual Weapon also costing a bonus action and it has no concentration once cast.

Decisions, decisions! I seriously cannot decide at all so I want some opinions from your guys! This will be my first gestalt campaign and I'm quite excited. GM already said that the enemies have been scaled really well and the campaign's theme will pretty much be high fantasy with god-like abilities. Which of the two could give me the most DPR as well as the durability to protect my ally? Any other tips, advise, or additions to the build so far?

You seem pretty focused on combat things. What about knowledge domain for relevance out of combat?

Scathain
2017-07-18, 10:58 PM
You seem pretty focused on combat things. What about knowledge domain for relevance out of combat?

Or Arcana for a wizardly feel without the EK. Best of three worlds.

tatszico
2017-07-18, 10:58 PM
You seem pretty focused on combat things. What about knowledge domain for relevance out of combat?Thanks for the reply! Actually, I purposely made him focused in combat, as I mentioned that my GF will be the skill-monkey. She's playing a smart and saavy High-Elf while I play a dumb, happy-go-lucky Human who's only interest is getting stronger. The cool thing about this campaign that it's a duo adventure so we're trying to play it like a fantasy game or anime. :)

However, Knowledge domain could be an interesting concept for a Cleric/Fighter gestalt! Definitely could be a Jack-of-All-Trades character in terms of combat and out of combat situations.

Drackolus
2017-07-18, 11:24 PM
I would probably go war for maximum synergy, but having some aoe would be nice. Then again, spirit guardians is a dandy aoe and you get it regardless, AND you get to keep attacking.
I would definitely suggest war, but I am of the unpopular opinion that tempest is the weakest domain, even compared to trickery (which I also think is underrated).

PloxBox
2017-07-18, 11:42 PM
I'd recommend light domain, and choosing the controlling maneuvers. Light domain reaction flare makes you (and at next level your allies too) harder to hit. PAM and Sentinel for first two feats, using one of the d10 pole weapons. If UA is allowed, grab the tunnel fighter FS and become a literal beacon that needs to be taken down.

EDIT: reread. No go on the tunnel fighter then. Either way, this has always been my own personal want of a fighter cleric build.

Zene
2017-07-19, 12:06 AM
Of the two, tempest. Hands-down. The apparent synergy of War is actually just overlapping a lot of your battlemaster abilities; whereas the bonus spell list and channel divinity of tempest opens up max-damage AOE that both fighter and cleric are otherwise weak at.

But I also suggest checking out the other domains, as folks have said. Nature in particular is a personal favorite for front-line shenanigans; thorn whip is fun for tanks, and being able to layer Plant Growth with Spirit Guardians is basically an AOE lockdown for non-flying enemies (1/8th movement speed!! Action surge to cast them both in round 1!)

Finger6842
2017-07-19, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the reply! Actually, I purposely made him focused in combat, as I mentioned that my GF will be the skill-monkey. She's playing a smart and saavy High-Elf while I play a dumb, happy-go-lucky Human who's only interest is getting stronger. The cool thing about this campaign that it's a duo adventure so we're trying to play it like a fantasy game or anime. :)

However, Knowledge domain could be an interesting concept for a Cleric/Fighter gestalt! Definitely could be a Jack-of-All-Trades character in terms of combat and out of combat situations.

What two classes is your girlfriend taking? I might recommend something different entirely based on it.

tatszico
2017-07-19, 12:54 AM
What two classes is your girlfriend taking? I might recommend something different entirely based on it.Warlock/Bard!

Finger6842
2017-07-19, 02:21 AM
Warlock/Bard!

Well, undead minions galore and Bard heals with swift quiver for archer focus or paladin aura. At higher levels warlock and bard overlap a bit.

You have a ton of options.
Wild shaping Druid with Warrior, Barbarian or Monk gives you a monster tank with DPS, mobility, armor/damage reduction, ant temp hp to lower healing needs.

Lore Bard with Wizard gives your party every skill, undead to tank from lock, nukes and control plus almost every spell in the game, a familiar to scout, shield spells for burst AC, and 2 (or maybe 3) Simulacrum. Transmuter wizard provides a free rez as a bonus and some bonus save proficiency. Downside is the need for crazy stats.

Rogue and Druid, Druid tank plus backup heals, rogue DPS plus all the sneaky stuff and lots of sill proficiency as well.

Moon Druid Lore Bard would be my choice here, use undead for DPS, Druid for Tanking, Bard for Buffing or Debuffing, and Lock Bard for nuking/archery. Magical Secrets between the two bards will cover some great spells from the other lists. Paladin Aura, Counterspell, Haste for the Lore to add AC and an extra attack, Swift Quiver for the Valor? Bard Archer. Heals are covered. DPS will be lower than other builds.

I can't advise you on Sorcerer or Ranger builds since I've never played one.

As a side note warlock doesn't synergize as well with bard as it does with a tank. Armor of Agathys is really powerful because it's like extra attacks on anything that hits you. Warrior/Bard is the best archer, eventually reaching 6 arrows per round with a 12 arrow initial assault. If the second bard adds haste it's 7 and 14. Plus inspiration, lucky, etc.