PDA

View Full Version : Making my Black Blade count as an unarmed strike

ATHATH
2017-07-19, 01:53 AM
I'm trying to combine the Bladebound and Hexcrafter Magus archetypes with the Hex Strike feat.

Basically, my plan is to make a Full-Attack with my Black Blade, then activate Spell Combat and Hex Strike to cast a spell and a Hex in addition to my physical attacks. The only problem with this is that my Black Blade can only be a one-handed slashing weapon, a rapier, or a sword cane, while Hex Strike can only be used with Unarmed Strikes. I could mix in unarmed strikes amongst my Black Blade attacks, but I'd rather attack entirely with my Black Blade.

How should I go about doing this? Is there something like an Aptitude Crystal in Pathfinder, or some obscure Monk weapon that lets you count it as an unarmed strike?

Florian
2017-07-19, 02:00 AM
I'm trying to combine the Bladebound and Hexcrafter Magus archetypes with the Hex Strike feat.

Basically, my plan is to make a Full-Attack with my Black Blade, then activate Spell Combat and Hex Strike to cast a spell and a Hex in addition to my physical attacks. The only problem is that my Black Blade can only be a one-handed slashing weapon, a rapier, or a sword cane, while Hex Strike can only be used with Unarmed Strikes.

How should I go about doing this? Is there something like an Aptitude Crystal in Pathfinder, or some obscure Monk weapon that lets you count it as an unarmed strike?

You´re missing the obvious. You can always opt to make a real unarmed strike instead of a touch attack, so you can easily trigger Hex Strike with your Spell Combat.

torrasque666
2017-07-19, 02:03 AM
Boar and/or Tiger Style lets you deal slashing damage with your unarmed strikes. The only issue is that they aren't a constant effect.

Metahuman1
2017-07-19, 02:06 AM
The aptitude weapon property might help. =)

Kurald Galain
2017-07-19, 02:13 AM
It would be reasonable to spend a feat on this. Such a feat doesn't presently exist (as far as I can tell) but if your GM allows homebrew or custom feats this sounds ilke a fair deal.

ATHATH
2017-07-19, 11:53 PM
I've found a feat that lets me treat my unarmed strikes as slashing weapons, for those of you who were interested in my search: http://archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Hamatulatsu

EDIT: Wait, nope, nevermind, it only lets me do piercing damage.

ATHATH
2017-07-19, 11:59 PM
Aha! I've now found a feat that will actually work (I think): http://archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Weapon%20Versatility

Being capable of dealing slashing damage makes a weapon a slashing weapon, right?

Florian
2017-07-20, 12:28 AM
Being capable of dealing slashing damage makes a weapon a slashing weapon, right?

Nope, as the feat doesn´t do a permanent change to the weapon.

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 01:08 AM
Nope, as the feat doesn´t do a permanent change to the weapon.
*sigh*

Back to the archives, then.

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 02:23 AM
I'm reaching a bit here, but can I use Martial Versatility on Hex Strike (since Hex Strike only works with Unarmed Strikes)?

Kurald Galain
2017-07-20, 04:30 AM
I'm reaching a bit here, but can I use Martial Versatility on Hex Strike (since Hex Strike only works with Unarmed Strikes)?

Unfortunately not. What MV refers to is feats like Weapon Focus that say "choose one type of weapon".

Sayt
2017-07-20, 07:13 AM
There is ascetic style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/ascetic-style-combat-style/) , with the templemsword, which is a one-handes slashing weapon. You will need to shill out for weapon foxus, however.

There are a few one handed slashing monk weapons, the temple sword and nine-ring broadsword, which are basically the longsword
(With trip) and the battleaxe respectively., the others are wither light weapons, or two handed.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-07-20, 07:55 AM
There is ascetic style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/ascetic-style-combat-style/) , with the temple sword, which is a one-handes slashing weapon. You will need to shill out for weapon foxus, however.

There are a few one handed slashing monk weapons, the temple sword and nine-ring broadsword, which are basically the longsword
(With trip) and the battleaxe respectively., the others are wither light weapons, or two handed.
The new AA2 version of the Butterfly Sword (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Butterfly%20 sword) is probably better for Magus, since iirc none of those have extended crit ranges which is fairly important for most Magus builds.

exelsisxax
2017-07-20, 08:17 AM
The new AA2 version of the Butterfly Sword (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Butterfly%20 sword) is probably better for Magus, since iirc none of those have extended crit ranges which is fairly important for most Magus builds.

Butterfly swords are ineligible because they're light weapons. They also deal half the damage with the same crit, so what's the benefit supposed to be, since a magus can't TWF?

Sayt
2017-07-20, 09:00 AM
I believe the temple sword is 19-20 threat range, not as good as a kukri, scimitaror rapier, but it's the cost of hex striking.

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 04:17 PM
There is ascetic style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/ascetic-style-combat-style/) , with the templemsword, which is a one-handes slashing weapon. You will need to shill out for weapon foxus, however.

Ah, thank you! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a feat that will let me enter a style as a free action or something? I'd rather prefer to be able to use my Hex Strike ability on the first round of combat.

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 04:22 PM
Nevermind, I've found the Combat Style Master feat.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-07-20, 08:38 PM
Butterfly swords are ineligible because they're light weapons. They also deal half the damage with the same crit, so what's the benefit supposed to be, since a magus can't TWF?

I meant to say 18-20 on the Butterfly Sword (as of AA2), but was unaware it didn't work with Ascetic Style. The benefit was meant to be that the Magus generally cares more about landing crits than about weapon damage dice.

TiaC
2017-07-21, 05:12 AM
Nevermind, I've found the Combat Style Master feat.

It might be easier to take Combat Stamina, which should let you Hex strike as a free action at least once per combat.

SirNibbles
2017-07-21, 10:56 PM
If you're allowed to use feats from 3.5, Versatile Unarmed Strike (Player's Handbook II, page 85) allows you to change your UAS to either bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing as a swift action. The duration is permanent until you change it again, so you can always keep it as a slashing weapon.

The Toothed Blow feat may be of use to you as well:

"When making unarmed strikes, your attacks count as piercing weapons as well as bludgeoning weapons." - Stormwrack, page 94

You may be able to combine that with other feats to have them count as slashing weapons.

Cyrocloud
2017-07-22, 06:05 AM
I think the easiest solution would be to gain a claw attack and make that your blackblade and get feral combat training when you qualify. Though I am not 100% on how natural attacks normally interface with spell strike or the irative attacks when used as an unarmed strike.

Florian
2017-07-22, 06:23 AM
I think the easiest solution would be to gain a claw attack and make that your blackblade and get feral combat training when you qualify. Though I am not 100% on how natural attacks normally interface with spell strike or the irative attacks when used as an unarmed strike.

That´s impossible. A Black Blade is always an intelligent magic item.

WhiteBread
2017-07-26, 06:52 AM
Snap Kick Feat maybe? You can always make an additional unarmed attack after an attack... but it's 3.5 dunno if that would be allowed.