PDA

View Full Version : My solution to Mazes/Labyrinths and huge dungeons

ShirAhn
2017-07-19, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone,

In my campaign I created a big sidequest that would eventually lead the party into a labyrinth of sorts. Yesterday the party finally managed to get inside and work their way through. At first I figured I would just generate a random map and actually have them run through it but it seemed like allot of work and not very fun for the players either. So I did some google and got inspired to create the mechanics listed below. Whether you want the players to find the center of a huge Maze, or maybe find their way out of one. Any DM can run any kind of Maze/Labyrinth with no more then a simple deck of playing cards and this set of fully customisable rules.

Setting up the Maze: creating the Progress Deck
First you need to determine how much time you would like the players to be stuck inside the maze. You do this by grabbing a deck of cards and remove all the cards with a Heart symbol. For the players to reach the end of the Maze they have to exhaust this Progress Deck. The Progress Deck is simply a small deck of stacked heart cards of any type. Each card adds about 30minutes (real time) to the event. So when you run 5-6 heart cards it will take the players 2,5 to 3 hours to complete (in theory they can blast through it within a minute but those chances are very slim).

Setting up the Maze: the encounter Deck
After you have set up the Progress deck its time to create the encounter Deck. You can use every other non-heart card and create some kind of type of event that happens. Usually a dungeon consists of several kind of events. Some that I use are traps, monster encounters, puzzles and roleplay events. But there are many many more that you can think of. Each type of event has to be attached to some kind of card. Check the Event cards explained part at the bottom of the post to see what I used for my events.

Running the Maze; setup
Once you have created the Progress and Encounter Deck its time to set it up. First you have one of the players shuffle the encounter deck to give them the feeling that whatever is going to happen to them is somewhat determined by chance. Then you explain that for them to continue through the dungeon they have to find the heart cards. You then take 1 heart card from the progress deck and 5 cards from the encounter deck this is your default setup. You then determine the "starter" player (I let my players rotate to get everyone involved). You then let that player role a survival check. See the table below to determine what happens.

1 Add two encounter cards (8 total)
2-5 Add one encounter card (7 total)
11-16 Remove a encounter card (5 total)
17 + remove 2 encounter cards (4 total)
20 remove 3 encounter cards (3 total)
*note, when removing cards, make sure you never remove the heart card.

Once you have your set of encounter cards and your one progress card you shuffle them really well and lay them out face down. You then let the starting player choose his/her card and you play the event of the chosen card. If the players dont draw a heart card you play the event as listed in the Event cards explained section. Once they have finished the encounter the next player chooses a card untill they find a heart card. When the players finally do find the heart card you set it aside and do a new setup. You can reuse all encounter cards that your players came across before. In my campaign I remove the puzzle cards and the highest difficulty traps/monster encounters when they come across them. I also always only add about 30% chance to find treasure and reduce this number each time they find treasure by removing the treasure cards once they find them.

You keep doing this process until the Progress deck is empty. Once they find the last heart card the players have succesfully found their way through the maze.

Running the Maze: Time
I explain to my players that the maze is huge and takes allot of time to travel through it. Every time they choose a card I make a note and add 2 hours to the time marker. Basicly every 12 cards requires a long rest or they get exhausted, they also have to eat there food and if they are unlucky they might even run out. This of course is fully optional and you can change the 2 hours to whatever you want or not use it at all.

Event cards explained

Diamond Card = Trap card; the party has stumbled upon a trap and have to dodge out of the way!!
You can use the UA (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf)to determine the damage and difficulty etc. depending on your players character lvls.

So lets say you have three different kind of traps, a moderate, dangerous, and deadly trap. And you want the dungeon to be mostly filled with dangerous traps.
You could use the following table:

2-3 = moderate trap
4-6 = dangerous trap
7 = deadly trap

The setup above gives a total of 6 trap cards. Where the diamond 2 and 3 card represents a moderate trap, the diamond 4,5 and 6 represent a dangerous trap en the diamond 7 card (you could use a Ace to show to the players that aces are bad news) is a deadly trap.

When the players draw a trap card you have to determine who is hit by the trap. I ask the players beforehand in which formation they are traversing the maze and I tell them that there is only enough room for 2 persons to walk through the halls side by side. So a group of 6 players would have two people in the front, two people in the middle, two in the back.

Then I role a D4 (can be adjusted to fit your amount of players) to determine who is hit by the traps.
On a 1, the trap hits the people in the front
On a 2, the trap hits the people in the middle
On a 3, the trap hits the people in the back
On a 4, the trap hits the entire party (flamethrower effect).

*When a party is actively searching for traps you can use investigation check to first determine if the player finds it, then give him a chance to disarm the trap using the same rules as described in the UA (I really really enjoyed this trap UA).

Club Card = Monster Encounter card; the players follow some dark halls and end up in a room filled with monsters.
When the players choose an Encounter card they are confronted with a monster (or group of monsters). Narrate some cool way the players come across them and if they are in stealth they might get a surprise round as described in the player handbook. Determining the difficulty of the encounter works the same way as with traps.
2 A easy encounter
2-4 A normal encounter
5-6 A hard encounter
7 A Deadly encounter

So when the players draw the 2 of clubs they get an easy encounter. If they draw a 2,3 or 4 of clubs they get a normal encounter etc. I use the website kobold.club (http://kobold.club) to help me create fitting encounters that I prepare before hand.

Clover Card = Lost; The players haven taken a wrong turn somewhere and end up spending hours navigating the maze and they lose their direction.
When the players draw a clover card of any type it should make it harder for them to find the heart card of this round. Grab all remaining undiscovered cards and add two encounter cards. Shuffle them and give the players the option to choose again. This reduces their chances to find the heart card.

Ace Card = Rest; The players find a good place to rest, maybe a room that has beds or a room that is save to hide in. You can allow short/long rests whatever you wish.
I usually don't let my players take long rests in hall ways or after encounters. They can try to setup camp, but if they do I role a 50/50 chance that they are attacked during their rest. However when they draw a Ace card I explain that they have find a really good place to rest. That looks very save. Letting them clearly now that this place is save.

King = Food; The players come across some old mushroom and they find food and drink.
In my maze it is possible for the players to traverse the dungeon for several days, so they might run out of food and drink. (See the Time section above) When they draw a King card I let them stock up on food and drink. The player who draws the card roles a 1d4 and the party finds that amount worth of days of food.

Queen Card = Puzzle; The players enter a room with a locked door, there are several pillars and levers scattered around the room. There must be a way to open that door!
The players come across a puzzle, you can use one of many many many dungeon puzzles on the internet or remove them entirely.

Joker Card = Treasure; the players come across a locked door. They are able to pick the lock and find a small room behind the door. Inside the room is a small treasure chest containing a magical sword.
The players find treasure, I use the loot tables listed in the Dungeon Master guide to determine what the party gets. But you can use whatever you want, or even have a monster guard it.

Afterthought

I hope you guys find this useful, I would LOVE feedback on this if you have any. Maybe you guys can share some ideas you have about other types of encounters?

Squibsallotl
2017-07-19, 02:53 AM
This is great stuff. Love it. As someone who made a maze the hard way recently, I can appreciate how much easier this would be to prep. Sounds like great fun to play, too!

If you come up with any other creative solutions to adventure building, let me know, keen to steal them :D

ShirAhn
2017-07-19, 03:25 AM
This is great stuff. Love it. As someone who made a maze the hard way recently, I can appreciate how much easier this would be to prep. Sounds like great fun to play, too!

If you come up with any other creative solutions to adventure building, let me know, keen to steal them :D

Thank you for your response, I'm glad you like it. I hope everything was clear enough as English is not my native language :). If I think of new ways I to improve my campaigns I will post them on these forums :).

follacchioso
2017-07-19, 06:50 AM
This is very good, thank you for sharing it.

There are a few mobile / tablet apps to create dungeons, but I haven't seen one with this functionality. Maybe you can propose one, or even create one :-)

ShirAhn
2017-07-19, 07:25 AM
This is very good, thank you for sharing it.

There are a few mobile / tablet apps to create dungeons, but I haven't seen one with this functionality. Maybe you can propose one, or even create one :-)

Thank you for your reply, best i can do is actually design the decks fully with actual tables and nice art. But it would require artists and allot of work so.. I'm thinking no..:)

JellyPooga
2017-07-19, 09:44 AM
I think there's some really great ideas here! I love using cards as randomisers because they allow for that random element, but with a degree of predictability and you don't get repetition. I'll definitely be posting some thoughts and discussion later/tomorrow (I'm on my phone ATM and there's more I'd like to say than I can reasonably post right now!). Gopd stuff.

Joe the Rat
2017-07-19, 10:56 AM
This is really good. I like the variety and adjustments that are available here. I may look to adapt this for a different sort of maze.

Having the face cards represent different types of finds could work in conjunction with the other traits: You draw an Ace of diamonds - there's a trap, but beyond it is a safe place to rest. King of Clubs(Spades?) is a large, edible monster, or an encounter at the watering hole. Queen of Hearts is a puzzle that reveals a shortcut.

Some thoughts and ideas: Traps could also cover Hazards - changes or features in the environment, crumbling passages about to cave in, green slime-laden ceilings, hallucinatory mold bloom, etc. - functionally they are very much like traps, but are treated slightly differently in that they are not deliberately set.

If you want a little old-school, you can use the Jack/Knight/Knave for Weird. You encounter some strange, magical thing: A fountain, a wall covered in glowing runes, a couple of harmless statues that totally aren't about to treat the party to the Knights and Knaves puzzle (they are), An illusion hiding a passage, an illusion of a passage hiding a wall, gravity going sideways for a bit, a magic mouth that challenges you to riddles, or give an ominous warning. Some sort of set-piece bit of magic or strangeness. The more puzzle-like ones probably ought to go under Queen.

Broadening the scope beyond the maze, this could also work for travel/exploration - cutting through the forbidden forest should get you to the ruins in a day if you can cut a straight course; let's see how well you navigate. In this sort of set-up, you might want a weather function - your progress is slowed, or conditions become more dangerous due to sudden storms/winds/earthquakes.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 11:27 AM
I wonder if you couldn't do this simply with a D20. It would certainly be less work.

1-2: trap
3-4: deadly trap
5-10: skill puzzles of various kinds
11-18: Various monster encounters
19: find the exit
20: find the treasure a the center

Biggstick
2017-07-19, 11:37 AM
I wonder if you couldn't do this simply with a D20. It would certainly be less work.

I don't disagree with you, but the removing of cards once they're drawn means that you'll eventually find that which you're looking for. With your numbering scheme, they have the same chance every roll to "find the exit," or "find the treasure."

If after every roll, or every other roll, the chance to find what the party is looking for increased, it'd be a solid progression imo.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 11:49 AM
I don't disagree with you, but the removing of cards once they're drawn means that you'll eventually find that which you're looking for. With your numbering scheme, they have the same chance every roll to "find the exit," or "find the treasure."

If after every roll, or every other roll, the chance to find what the party is looking for increased, it'd be a solid progression imo.

Could always reroll repeated numbers as the DM.

strangebloke
2017-07-19, 11:54 AM

Probability with replacement, man.

You could potentially have 24 deadly encounters in a row with no rest with your system. The cards system dictates that you will have X deadly encounters and Y places to rest. In fact, having a deadly encounter lowers the probability of the next progress card being a deadly encounter.

The only way that the card system is more work is that you have to 'build' the maze. But that's also the major appeal. The maze exists, they just determine which order they encounter everything in.

If you wanted, you could also throw in a 'rules' card that would allow the maze to end at a random point.

RickAsWritten
2017-07-20, 12:19 AM
This is very similar to the concept of the game Hand of Fate. Excellent game, and I think this would be an excellent way to frame a maze in D&D. Well done.

ShirAhn
2017-07-20, 12:19 AM

This is one way of doing it yes, but it has several disadvantages as some people has noted. My players LOVE the cards, they have something they can see and they feel like they are more in control. They are very highly skilled adventurer's who should be able to navigate the maze better then "avarage joe". Also, when they finish an encounter they get a reward (higher chance to find the right path). You could do it with a dice system, but I feel it takes away allot of the feeling for the player that they are the ones in control, not the dice.

Also, most of the work is in designing some traps, encounters, maybe some puzzles that are fit for your players. Shuffling the cards and laying them out really only takes 10-15 sec. I use this time to narrate the parties last successful choice and describe the path laying before them.

LaserFace
2017-07-20, 01:38 AM
I would just offer the suggestion you run this sort of thing past your players before going ahead and doing it. Personally, I wouldn't want to take this sort of approach to dungeoneering.
Actually, I'd probably resent the DM who decided they needed me to spend X amount of minutes lost in a dungeon of any variety. The very nature of this concept strikes me as filler, and I'd rather just not play D&D than play filler D&D (unless I was just attending to be polite, or something).

I enjoy using random generation tools for dungeons as outlined in the DMG, and I think a method like this merits consideration; but I would then have to further flesh things out with personal touches about the dungeon, ie Why it exists, who built it, what are some interesting clues about its history, why does it interest the players, etc. Convenience is always an appeal, but there are no shortcuts to making the real meat of the dungeon. Exactly what monsters are there, what traps or obstacles are present, and what treasure awaits to be discovered are all pretty secondary concerns to me. Although these details in themselves can be given additional attention to set up a unique experience, that sort of thing requires some foresight (for me, anyway) and doesn't really benefit from a system like this. This tool seems best applied where you consider fighting a monster or overcoming a trap to be the height of the experience, which I don't.

It seems plenty of people like it, so I'm sure the concept has already been seen as helpful; I think that's good. I don't know how many players would share my sentiments on dungeon design, but I suspect there may be one or two people out there who feel as I do; so I think a DM intent on doing something like this should make the proposal to their players in advance.

ShirAhn
2017-07-20, 03:42 AM
I would just offer the suggestion you run this sort of thing past your players before going ahead and doing it. Personally, I wouldn't want to take this sort of approach to dungeoneering.
Actually, I'd probably resent the DM who decided they needed me to spend X amount of minutes lost in a dungeon of any variety. The very nature of this concept strikes me as filler, and I'd rather just not play D&D than play filler D&D (unless I was just attending to be polite, or something).

I enjoy using random generation tools for dungeons as outlined in the DMG, and I think a method like this merits consideration; but I would then have to further flesh things out with personal touches about the dungeon, ie Why it exists, who built it, what are some interesting clues about its history, why does it interest the players, etc. Convenience is always an appeal, but there are no shortcuts to making the real meat of the dungeon. Exactly what monsters are there, what traps or obstacles are present, and what treasure awaits to be discovered are all pretty secondary concerns to me. Although these details in themselves can be given additional attention to set up a unique experience, that sort of thing requires some foresight (for me, anyway) and doesn't really benefit from a system like this. This tool seems best applied where you consider fighting a monster or overcoming a trap to be the height of the experience, which I don't.

It seems plenty of people like it, so I'm sure the concept has already been seen as helpful; I think that's good. I don't know how many players would share my sentiments on dungeon design, but I suspect there may be one or two people out there who feel as I do; so I think a DM intent on doing something like this should make the proposal to their players in advance.

I fully agree with your statement. And this isn't designed for normal dungeons. I made this with a big giant labyrinth/Maze in mind. My players knew this before going inside through lore/sidequest/treasurehunt and they wanted to go in, they stocked up on supplies before doing so cause they knew it might take some time before they find their way out. I described the Maze up front with many twisting paths and long dark tunnels. When designing the monster encounters I used monsters that fit the maze. In my session the maze was created by a group of powerful wizards so I used allot of animated armors/golems and magical traps, they also used workers who were left behind so I threw a few undead in there. Everything to set the scene and sell the lore. But you could change it to your liking, minotaurs are always fitting I guess :).

Thank you for your feedback

JellyPooga
2017-07-20, 06:47 AM
OK, as promised, here are some of my thoughts;

1) Use the numbers.

Instead of the whole "2-3 = Easy, 4-5 = Hard, etc." setup you're going for, why not just use the cards numeric value?

- For monster encounters, have a look-up table of encounters you have in mind and simply assign each a numeric value. When the card is drawn, that's what they're facing. Simples! You can have several encounters assigned to a given number to avoid repetition; just work your way through them (e.g. you might have a band of goblins, a mob of orcs and a pack of gnolls all assigned to the 2 card; the first time the players draw the 2, they face goblins. The second time they draw it, they fight orcs. Third time gnolls. If they draw the 2 again, you can simply throw them back to goblins and start over). If you want the lower values to be easier, that's your call, but you can always throw in a few curve-balls :smallwink:

- For traps, add 10 to the value of the card drawn to determine the DC to spot and/or avoid it. Instead of rolling a die to see who it targets, you could use odd/even (e.g. odd number = front of party, even number = back), divide the value by two, three or four to determine number of targets, high/low or any other number-play you can think of. There's no reason to limit "traps" to literal swinging blades and poisoned darts; these could also be other aspects of the Exploration pillar; chasms to cross, doors to unlock, cliffs to climb and so forth, again utilising the numeric value of the card to set DC's or other aspects.

- For other effects, using the numeric value of the card drawn is equally valid, either for setting the DC of a challenge (just add 10, as for traps), a pre-prepared table, or whatever.

2) "Lost" is a bad Encounter for "clovers".

Here's why;

- This whole idea really wants to be a single deck to draw from, not a series of laid-out cards for players to pick and choose. As a deck, it enforces the idea that the Progress cards actually mean something towards finding the end goal if they're (roughly) evenly spread out through the deck. Laid out to choose, you could (as you mention) blitz the dungeon without a single encounter by luckily choosing all the Progress cards right off the bat. It's not likely, true, but finding a Progress card by random choice has no...satisfaction, no validation that you've got anywhere, per se. Slogging through a deck of encounters until you find a Progress card, on the other hand, has that sense of having achieved a milestone rather than simply making some lucky choices.

- Further, Progress cards don't actually do anything. They're literally just a marker to denote how far along you are. Why not make them the "Lost" card (in essence) instead? Every time the Players draw a Progress card, get them to make an Int-based Survival check (DC = 10+card value) to see how "lost" they are; the results of which allow them to discard cards off the top of the deck (un-encountered) OR add cards to the top of the deck, based on the success or failure of the check (perhaps one card plus one per 3, 4 or 5 they beat/fail the DC by, depending on how labyrinthine the dungeon is supposed to be). To avoid the "endless dungeon" scenario, I suggest that Progress cards, once drawn, are never re-added to a dungeon. This would replace your "Running the Maze; Setup" phase of rolling Survival and adding or removing cards from the line-up. You'd also need to introduce a "Building the Dungeon" step, where Progress cards are distributed through the deck (more on this later).

- I'd also suggest allowing players to take a Short Rest upon drawing a Progress Card; not only does this enforce the "standard adventuring day" to an extent, as well as increasing tension when they have a particularly long run between drawing them, but also gives the players a little reward for, well, making progress!

- By making Progress cards the "Lost" style card, you now free up "clovers" for a third type of encounter. If traps represent the Exploration pillar and monsters represent the Combat pillar, we're only missing one; Social. Nothing says a dungeon has to be inherently hostile and many of the most memorable encounters, even in a dungeon, are the ones that aren't. The classic adventure, Temple of Elemental Evil, is chocked with social possibilities and I see no reason why our random dungeon generator shouldn't also be so. As an added side-effect, the visual meta-game cue of knowing the encounter is a social one beforehand, will encourage the players to actually approach it as a social encounter instead of taking the usual gung-ho, attack-on-sight approach that many players fall into the habit of adopting. Whether you view this as a good or bad thing will depend on your approach as a GM to the meta-game, so YMMV!

3) "Goodie" cards

I've dubbed the picture cards and Ace "Goodie" cards because, well, they're goodies! I wouldn't include these with the other Encounter (numeric) cards because they A) don't have a handy number printed on them for calculating DC's, tables, etc. and B) you don't want to have a whole dungeon full of goodies! Think about having a little more variety than just food, treasure and rests and I'd move the "Puzzle" option from the Queen to being included in with the "Traps", but otherwise I like the idea of the picture cards being something nice. The only thing I'd caution is not to forget to include treasure and other nice things into other encounters too; the Goodies are just the "freebies".

4) Building the Dungeon

As with any aspect of GMing, preparation is key and all your encounters will have to be pre-planned. That said, this Random Dungeon allows us to do some generic prep and then tailor the dungeon based on difficulties, style and so forth. If the dungeon is completely hostile, for example, simply leaving out all the "clovers" (i.e. social encounters) is perfectly acceptable. Likewise, if the dungeon is particularly labyrinthine, then only using high value Progress cards would be appropriate.

To build your Dungeon Deck is simple.
- Select a number of Progress and Encounter Cards, of appropriate value for it's difficulty and in appropriate numbers for the size. For a "Standard" dungeon, I'd suggest about 3 Encounter Cards (one each of "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard" difficulty) for each Progress Card, assuming each Progress Card also represents an opportunity to take a Short Rest AND assuming they're going to pass their "lost" checks upon finding them (and will, therefore, be "skipping" past one or more encounters per Progress card).
- Then add in a number of "Goodie" cards, depending on how generous you're feeling (one per Progress card would be about appropriate, I think).
- Shuffle up all the Encounter and Goodie cards together, if you want a completely random feel. Otherwise, you can tailor things to your liking (e.g. grouping a bunch of Monster cards together to represent a hive or lair). This is your "Encounter Deck".
- Deal 4 cards from your "Encounter Deck" to each Progress card and shuffle each group of 5 cards. Then stack these groups of 5 cards, one on top of the other, to form your "Dungeon Deck".

5) Traversing the Dungeon

Running the dungeon is simple; draw a card off the top of the stack and play the encounter. If an encounter is resolved permanently (monsters are killed, trap dismantled, etc.) then the card can be placed face down. If the encounter is bypassed or is likely to present a challenge again on the way out, then leave it face up as a reminder. Progress cards should always be left face-up. Once the deck is empty, the dungeon has been fully explored, the BBEG has been reached, or whatever. If you want certain Milestones, you can have some kind of "Special" encounter when the players have passed a certain number of Progress cards; perhaps they have to face a sub-boss when they've passed 3 progress cards and face the BBEG after 6. It's not limited to bosses, either, they can find MacGuffins, encounter significant NPC's or whatever; the Progress card should represent progress after all.

For timing, I'd suggest assuming 1 hour per Encounter/Goodie card and 2 hours per Progress card (including the Short Rest, even if they don't take one). 2 hours for each card seems...a little high to me. Either way, it's an abstraction, but for keeping track of torches, spell duration and other time-critical things (like how long it's been since the party last slept), it's definitely convenient.

Allow the players to "go back" to cards they've drawn previously; but not without cost. Time is the primary one, but with time comes the possibility of the dungeon re-stocking or losing your way again.
- Every card the players "backtrack" takes 30 minutes.
- Every 3 cards they "backtrack", add another Encounter card to the top of the Dungeon Deck (keep a running tally of all cards they backtrack throughout the dungeon; every three cards adds one, whether they backtrack three cards at once or one card three times!).
- If they "backtrack" to a Progress card, they can take a Short Rest, but must also make a "Lost" check to see if they regain their bearings; cards "skipped" by a successful check made by backtracking are removed from those successfully bypassed before being taken from the top of the Dungeon Deck (representing greater familiarity with the dungeon, so less time taken to backtrack again at a later date, but also to prevent abusing the backtracking option).

If you have space for it, I suggest laying the cards out as you go, in order, allowing the players to see their progress; nothing reinforces just how deep things have gotten when you can see that you've had 4 or more encounters since your last Rest! Laying cards out this way allows the Players to visualise the dungeon to an extent; how far back was that last Ace and it's opportunity to take a Long Rest in safety, or how many unresolved or recurring encounters have we left behind us? If your space is limited, just keep a discard pile but be sure to keep it in its proper order to facilitate backtracking and keep tabs on encounters that were merely bypassed or permanently resolved.

Well, there it is, my thoughts and suggestions. Hope they're of some use!

ImproperJustice
2017-07-20, 11:52 AM
This very much seems like an expanded version of Savage Worlds random encounter deck (which runs off of using a standard deck of cards).

They have a free one-shot scenario called "The Eternal Nazi" where the players must navigate a maze and use smarts rolls to determine how quickly they can navigate the maze.

Having run this myself, I can say that your method will provide a far more engaging play session than some poor sap in the PC group playing thier own personal version of "Graph Paper Quest".