View Full Version : Lead and divination

weckar
2017-07-19, 05:49 AM
Many if not most divination spells are stopped by lead. But what if you tried to scry on something/someone that was made of lead? Is the spell still stopped if it is the lead itself you're trying to divine?

logic_error
2017-07-19, 08:30 AM
Many if not most divination spells are stopped by lead. But what if you tried to scry on something/someone that was made of lead? Is the spell still stopped if it is the lead itself you're trying to divine?

Since you are NOT trying to penetrate a lead sheet to get to the lead object, I would rule that you can scry it safely. If it is a lead container though, you can't divine its contents.

Psyren
2017-07-19, 08:47 AM
Since you are NOT trying to penetrate a lead sheet to get to the lead object, I would rule that you can scry it safely. If it is a lead container though, you can't divine its contents.

I agree with this, and would add - you also can't use the contents of a lead container to help identify it, because the spell can't see into it. So for instance, you can't attempt to view "the lead box containing the lich's phylactery" because the spell can't scan inside any lead box to make that determination. You would need some kind of identifier to be on the box itself.

Florian
2017-07-19, 08:55 AM

Why should they be? Lead has some blocking power but is itself not non-magical in any way. You wouldn'tīt be able to divine the contents of a lead cargo container, but you would be able to scry the container itself, unless itīs stored in a lead-lined storage space...