PDA

View Full Version : Nocticula's Sentinel (IC)

MikelaC1
2017-07-19, 08:06 AM
Standing silently beside her mistress, scanning the crowd for anyone foolish enough to try and engineer a palace coup, Ta'Nathral watches the "action" in Nocticula's audience hall. In one corner of the room, two hezrou have been pitted against a lone glabrezu in a no-holds barred match to the death, being refereed by a vrock. (although why there is a ref in a no holds barred match is anyone's guess) What the vrock doesnt know is that all the demons have been starved for a week and the winning team gets to make a meal out of him. Such is life in the Abyss.
In another corner, several succubi have a human male strapped to a table and are busy pleasuring him in order to get him to spill his secrets. The man in question is a high ranking officer in the Terkaton army, and his regiment has been causing all sorts of problems for one of Nocticula's rural temples. When all the relevant information has been extracted, the man will have the experience wiped from his memory and he will make a "heroic escape" to be reunited with his unit, unaware that he is now programmed to be a loyal slave to Nocticula and will lead them into a trap. A typical Nocticulan ploy, but the humans never seen to learn.
A balor stands in front of Nocticula, reading forth the grievances of various sides that have actually had their petition make it to be heard by the Queen, to which she seems to give random rulings on, sometimes without regard to previous rules and standing orders. Such is the chaos of the Abyss.
They are finally finished and Nocticula turns to her sentinel. You will be summoned to the Prime in about 5 hours, by a druidess named Bethshanda. This druidess has made quite a reputation for herself by playing off all factions, good vs. evil, law vs. chaos, and has managed to stay loyal to "nature",
but has now run into a problem even she cant handle. I know she will turn to demonic aid, because her last foray was aided by celestials and she is nothing if not consistent. You will aid her in this mission, however by the end of it, I want her loyal to me, even if that costs her druid powers. Be careful, the nature of a summons prevents you from directly attacking the summoner, and she has a history of being able to avoid any sort of long term commitments. Do you have any questions?

Genth
2017-07-19, 04:30 PM
The demon's burning red eyes sweep across the room, lips twisted into a semi-permanent smirk. After all, it is her, Ta'Nathral, who stands beside her Mistress, above all the others. She guards with her middle and upper arms crossed over her chest, the lower arms casually behind her back, close to the many weapons she wears. A particularly strong rush of smug pride washes over her as her gaze returns to the Balor, quite confident that she could take him apart at the slightest provocation. For a moment, she considers attacking, feigning some insult like the Balor being a step too close, or letting his eyes rest for too long on their Queen's body.. but the moment soon passes - there are much more entertaining pleasures to come. The sinuous Marilith is quite the thing to behold, eighteen foot from top of head to tip of tail, the bulk of her snakelike body continually shifting, coiling and uncoiling, which gives the slight impression it is even longer than it is. Her chevron-like patterns seem to march up her body with practiced undulations, and this serves to draw the eye back to her humanoid torso, possessed of an athletic beauty. It is, in many ways, unlike the more cultured, 'modern' aesthetic of her succubus cousins, who change as do the particular proclivities of mortals do, and is more primordial, strong. There is a hint of ferality in the gleam of her eyes and the severity of her cheekbones, the look of a predator, in more ways than one.

When Nocticula turns to her, a small shiver flows through the Marilith's long body, her head bowing before her Queen. In respect, she lowers her head to the ground inches away from Her roiling, lava-coated feat, feeling the heat wash over her before rising and meeting the Demon Lady's eyes. "Your will is my fondest desire, my Queen." she replies, licking her lips in anticipation. "Can you tell me what it is she ultimately desires, my Queen? Has her soul revealed itself to you yet?" she asks, upper hand slipping to brush her chin thoughtfully.

MikelaC1
2017-07-20, 11:29 AM
Its almost like Nocticula can read the mind of her sentinel....and she probably can. Please don't obliterate him, hes a terrible bore, but he is one of the few balors I have
What she ultimately desires is the triumph of nature, whatever that means. She is one of the true tree-huggers and wants her soul to run free with stupid rabbits. She gestures for a moment and a nearby succubus (currently her favourite "pet") immediately curls into her lap. She makes nyaah, nyaah face at Ta'Nathral, knowing that the marilith doesn't dare strike at her where she is right now. Unfortunately, the succubus doesn't realize or remember that the status of being Nocticula's current favourite never lasts longer than a week at best. Whatever she wants, I have different desires for her.

Genth
2017-07-20, 04:09 PM
You could hollow him out, stuff him and he's be about as effective. Ta'Nathral quips back at her mistress, a slight grin on her lips. "And yet relies on demons to protect the wild for her. I always love a hypocrite." she replies to the out-loud statement, a roil moving down her coils. She ignores the succubus, a creature far below her interest. The Marilith makes a grand bow to the Demon Queen, kissing the floor near her feet once more. "I shall take my leave then, Queen, to prepare."

The warrior undulates down the hallway towards her own quarters, descending through the palace complex, further and further down. By force of habit, when not sharing quarters close to Nocticula's, the Marilith makes her private chambers deep below the majority of the palace, close to the magma flows which keep her chambers roasting hot and dry. She moves to the center of a small pit, extinguishing all torches and leaving herself in darkness. Carefully, and with practice, she lays down her coils atop one another, a delicate, deliberate arrangement of powerful muscles beneath smooth, shimmering scales, her torso nestling atop them like an Empress atop a throne. And there, she waits, mind ticking over, considering the ways that a 'true believer' might be turned from nature, and to something much better.

MikelaC1
2017-07-21, 11:20 AM
Ta'Nathral barely has time to settle herself when she feels the familiar tug, and the wrenching feeling of being decomposed in one plane and then re-assembled in another. When her senses clear, she finds herself in a much different place than usual. Normally summoned to a specially designed room in a Nocticulan temple, she now finds herself in a clearing in a forest, surrounded by nature and trees. The magic that confines her is different, she has seen the magic circles constructed by Nocticula sorceresses or priestesses, she knows how they work and where their weaknesses are, but this one is marked different. Its almost as if it were constructed wholly of nature's power and while she is confident she could break it given time, it would take a great deal of study. Time that she may not have.
Looking out of the circle, she sees the woman who almost has to be druidess, Bethshanda. Even though Ta'Nathral has spent her time with the beauties of both Nocticula's court and those of the Nocticula priestesshood, she is impressed with Bethshanda's beauty, and her command of divine magic is obviously strong as well, usually only clerics can summon a demon with divine magic, yet she did so. She wears simple garb, seemingly constructed with leaves, a ring of flowers is around her head and her feet are covered in simple sandals. She might be a peasant girl by the way she looks, yet the power in her is clear to one so attuned to magic as Ta'Nathral is.

Genth
2017-07-21, 07:19 PM
After the last wisp of magical smoke clears from her ring, Ta'Nathral tilts her head to one side, folding all three of her arms across her chest and lifting her body up slightly, so that she rises several feet higher. Greetings, Mortal. she murmurs into the woman's mind. I greet you in the name of my Mistress. I am Lacrimolax. she lies - a small lie to be true, but one with several uses. To test both the mortal's sense of truth, and her knowledge of the lower planes - one well trained might pick up that she had not used a Marilith name. Tell me, Bethshanda, why have you called me here? I must know your desires before I can tell you my price.

Bluff [roll0]

MikelaC1
2017-07-21, 09:26 PM
I summoned you as Ta'Nathral and that is what I will call you. As for my wants, this grove is threatened by giants, normally I would just deal with them but they are numerous, and they burn the trees as they come, feeding their own fire power and robbing me of mine. I will fight alongside you, but I need powerful help to deal quickly with them, lest they destroy too much in their senseless rampage.

Genth
2017-07-22, 01:47 AM
A twitch at the edge of the Marilith's lips, and something akin to approval is permitted to touch her features. As you wish, mortal. Ta'Nathral it is. An attack of giants is a service I can provide, but your haste is something I, naturally, must take advantage of. she pauses, pondering for a few moments, letting an upper hand drift up to brush against her chin, taking her time.

Six days. You have nothing I want save time, and ironically time is what you most need. My price is six days of your time, to be paid after I have dealt to your problem. Three here, and three in my home. she states, raising an eyebrow. I would still be under the bounds of the agreement not to harm you, but other than that we spend just under a week in each other's company. Does that sound agreeable? she asks.

If relevant, diplomacy: [roll0]

MikelaC1
2017-07-22, 07:37 PM
Bethshanda considers the demon's offer for a moment, whatever is rolling through her head is indecipherable, and then she comes to a decision. I agree...6 days of service, after all the giants are killed.

Genth
2017-07-22, 09:44 PM
Ta'Nathral had to prevent herself from rolling her eyes. Yes, because I'm going to diddle here for six days while there's giants to fight.. she thinks to herself. With a wild grin, showing her shining teeth, Ta'Nathral reaches behind herself, drawing out the panoply of weapons she bears into battle - the Glaive, Shifrat Akrhh, Hate's Blade. The twin Raebeth, black-metaled swords that steal life from their victims. Hell's Traitor, a longspear stolen long ago from a powerful Devil and turned to the demon's use. And Alfas Aldhy Yuksir Alealam - the Axe that Breaks the World. All pompous names, to be sure, but for Ta'Nathral, pomposity is a tool honed to a fine art. She beams down at Bethshanda, and her eyes are predatory.

Agreed. Take me to your oversized problem.

MikelaC1
2017-07-24, 10:51 AM
Bethshanda breaks the circle that is holding Ta, and then leads the way through the forest. She bypasses the various wards and traps that she had set, Ta has to be impressed with them all. The forest would be very dangerous, even for one such as her without Bethshanda to lead the way...and for someone not able to take as much punishment as her, deadly. After about an hour, they come upon a set of 3 fire giants, they appear to be sentries, as they constantly scan the forest, but they are not aware (as yet) of the two.
There are sentries like these at various spots, and then a main camp of them. As soon as they burn as much as they want, they move on. How do you want to handle this?

Genth
2017-07-24, 06:40 PM
The Marilith tilts her head, looking over the giant sentries, lips pursed slightly as she ponders.

First of all, how many sentry groups are there? Secondly... she concentrates for a moment, and a smoky blackness collects around her body, the wisps of it curling in the air and reaching out to surround Bethshanda as well. Protection. For my ally. she grins down at the druid, cloaked in the demon's Unholy Aura. Lastly.. I suggest magic to soften up the group first. I can cast a spell that will freeze them to the bone, if you have similar, then I suggest we cast at the same time, then I shall dive into battle and get some blood on my blades.

MikelaC1
2017-07-25, 09:21 AM
If they follow their usually pattern, there will be 3 more groups like this one, at the cardinal points away from the central camp. They need to be taken out first and quietly. Ta'Nathral notes that the unholy aura fails to coat the druidess, however she casts on herself (spellcraft DC14 if your have it)

Note: Usually in game battle situations, I call for an initiative roll and then post a battle order, but given this a solo game and you have surprise, you can take a free round to act. Do post an initiative roll after your actions, to determine later round initiative order.

Genth
2017-07-25, 05:55 PM
The demon seems more bemused than anything else by the Druid's apparent rejection of her protective aura, but says nothing, and instead nods to her. Wait for my strike. she says before slithering away, scales almost silent against the undergrowth as she moves to a position where she can blast all three giants. She takes a moment, closing her eyes and smirking.

With a loud hiss of Abyssal syllables, Ta'Nathral busts out from the cover of greenery, Shifrat Akrhh held aloft in one upper hand as the other forms a circle, small motes of crystalizing ice gathering there until she unleashes a cone of absolute, utter cold, washing over all three of the giants.

Spellcraft Check - [roll0]
Cone of Cold DC25 reflex for half [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]

MikelaC1
2017-07-26, 09:14 AM
(the druidess cast Sirine's Grace on herself)

The wave of cold washes over the giants, and as they are fire giants, they take the full brunt of the damage. All three are now quite frosty and understandably rather irritated by the situation. They are slow to react however, and Bethshanda jumps into the fray, hitting one 3 times with her scimitar. He doesn't fall, but its clear the damage is adding up.

Ta'Nathral up, giants to follow

Genth
2017-07-26, 04:00 PM
With guttural calls in Abyssal, Ta'Nathral slithers forwards with impressive speed, her glaive spinning through the air to be grasped in her two upper arms, swinging it down fifteen feet away from the closest giant, the dark-forged blade swinging through the air to strike the giant's exposed, cold flesh.

Attack 1 - [roll0] Crits on a 49
Damage [roll1]
Note that AC is now 39, all saves have +4 bonus. She is also 15 feet away from the giant, and using the reach of her weapon to her advantage.

MikelaC1
2017-07-28, 07:43 AM
The giants are unprepared for the attack of the demon and druid, two of the giants trying to take Ta'Nathral down and missing completely on their attacks, while the one on Bethshanda is similarly unsuccessful due to her Sirine's Grace protection.

Genth
2017-07-29, 02:42 AM
Ta'Nathral grins as the two giants gamely swing their attacks at her, the snake-bodied demon rising, falling, dashing to one side then the other to dodge the first attack, the second glancing off her hard scales like water off a rock. She twists, then bolts forwards, bringing her full might upon both her enemies.

Lets call the giant she just hit giant 1, and the other giant 2, shall we? If one dies, all the subsequent attacks are at the surviving one

Glaive Attack 1, on Giant #1 [roll0] Crits on a 49, x3
Damage [roll1]
Left-hand Sword of Life stealing Attack, on Giant #2 [roll2] Crits on a 48 or higher
Damage [roll3]
Right-hand Sword of Life stealing Attack, on Giant #1 [roll4] Crits on a 48 or higher
Damage [roll5]
Battleaxe on Giant #2 [roll6] Crits on a 49 x3
Damage [roll7] plus [roll8] Shock Damage
Longspear on Giant #1 [roll9]
Damage [roll10]
Glaive Iterative #2, on Giant #2 [roll11] Crits on a 44, x3
Damage [roll12]
Glaive Iterative #3, on Giant #1 [roll13] Crits on a 39, x3
Damage [roll14]
Glaive Iterative #4, on Giant #2 [roll15] Crits on a 34, x3
Damage [roll16]

MikelaC1
2017-07-29, 10:34 AM
The marilith unleashes a brutal assault on the two giants and all of her attacks connect, unfortunately the accumulated damage is not enough to put either of them down. Bethshanda does her best against her lone fire giant, doing damage but nowhere near enough to drop the behemoth. Finally freed of their stupor, the giants retaliate, but their attacks are mostly ineffectual. One does manage to hit Ta'Nathral for 20 points of damage, and the giant on the druidess scores one hit for 25 points.

Genth
2017-07-31, 07:55 PM
The giant's strike barely phases Ta'Nathral as she launches another set of vicious attacks.

All will go against Giant #1 until it falls, then Giant #2
Glaive attack 1 [roll0] [roll1]
Left Sword Attack [roll2] [roll3]
Right Sword Attack [roll4] [roll5]
Battleaxe Attack [roll6] [roll7]
Longspear Attack [roll8] [roll9]
Glaive attack 2 [roll10] [roll11]
Glaive attack 3 [roll12] [roll13]
Glaive attack 4 [roll14] [roll15]

MikelaC1
2017-08-04, 09:11 AM
Both giants were near death from Ta'Nathrals first attacks, and her second flurry drops both of them. On other side, Bethshanda and the giant are trading blows, the druid clearly getting the better of it, but still not enough to finish the giant.

Ta"Nathral up

Genth
2017-08-04, 06:26 PM
The Marilith pauses for a moment, to savor the thump of bodies as the giants hit the ground, and to watch the druid fight, head tilted as she examines her fighting methods. The fluidity of her movements, the way her muscles bunch and flex, all tell a story of how this woman fights, and how she lives within her mortal frame.

But soon enough, battle-lust calls, and the snake raises her glaive high, letting out a guttural Abyssal screech and charges forwards, driving the glaive towards the foe's exposed back:

Ta'Nathral may have been watching long enough for another round to occur, your call.

Charge attack with Glaive, to side of giant that gives flanking

[roll0] crits on a 53, times 3
[roll1]

MikelaC1
2017-08-07, 08:13 AM
The druidess and the giant exchange another set of blows, the druidess connecting on hers and the giant missing on his. Ta'Nathral notes that while the woman was pretty when she met her (for a mortal), she seems to move with even more grace and beauty in battle, and the motions of her body seem to catch the brutish giant's eye as they fight, causing most of his misses. Caught completely off guard when the marilith joins the fray, the glaive pierces his body from front to back...if Ta'Nathral had been in front of him, she would have seen the puzzled look on his face as a weapon protruded from his chest, followed by him collapsing to the ground.
Bethshanda steps back from the giant, casting on herself and her wounds close. Are you injured?

Genth
2017-08-09, 05:02 PM
Ta'Nathral looks down at the scratch one of the giants made, a finger reaching down to sweep up a taste of her own blood. "Barely a scratch, mortal. Save your magic for a more serious injury" she says, grinning down at the Druid. "Allow me to compliment you on your battle though. Rarely does a mere mortal move with the ease and grace you do. A symphony of deadly edges and movement." she remarks, resting one hand on her hip, and giving the woman a wide smile with just the faintest touch of a leer to it.

MikelaC1
2017-08-11, 07:10 AM
In response, Bethshanda takes out a crystal ball...There will be 3 more sentry groups, at the cardinal direction points away from the main camp. This was the southernmost group, the lead group of their incursion She looks into the ball for a moment, Ta'Nathral can see vague, shadowy images from where she stands. I can provide the location of the next group for your teleport, I doubt very much that you would be able to move through the rest of the forest without setting off the local wildlife