PDA

View Full Version : Music so good even the gods could cry

Meepwizard
2017-07-19, 09:38 AM
I find that I normally create powerful characters(sometimes I realize that and slow down so others can shine), but now that I've thought about that I'm putting my optimization skills to work on a bard who could play music so great even the gods could cry, so far I've found:
Being bard 20
UA performer(prof. Bonus x2)
Bard skill ability for double prof.
20 in charisma +5
Rolling a 12 on the bardic inspiration at higher levels
Rolling a natural 20
=49 on a single performance check
Do you all know of any other things that can enhance my performance(skill)? This is all hypothetical
Edit: I thought it did; never mind I've taken it out and made the appropriate changes however is there anything I could've missed that could increase performance

Mhl7
2017-07-19, 09:43 AM
I find that I normally create powerful characters(sometimes I realize that and slow down so others can shine), but now that I've thought about that I'm putting my optimization skills to work on a bard who could play music so great even the gods could cry, so far I've found:
Being bard19/ rogue 1
UA performer(prof. Bonus x2)
Bard skill ability for double prof.
Rogue's expertise x2
20 in charisma +5
Rolling a 12 on the bardic inspiration at higher levels
Rolling a natural 20
=55 on a single performance check
Do you all know of any other things that can enhance my performance(skill)? This is all hypothetical

Unfortunately you cannot stack proficiency/expertise:

Occasionally, your proficiency bonus might be multiplied or divided (doubled or halved, for example) before you apply it. For example, the rogue’s Expertise feature doubles the proficiency bonus for certain ability checks. If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll, you still add it only once and multiply or divide it only once.

Unoriginal
2017-07-19, 09:56 AM
Well, to make music good enough for this, keep in mind you have competing with Divine Word.

Divine Word

7th-level evocation

You utter a divine word, imbued with the power that shaped the world at the dawn of creation. Choose any number of creatures you can see within range. Each creature that can hear you must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, a creature suffers an effect based on its current hit points:

50 hit points or fewer: Deafened for 1 minute
40 hit points or fewer: Deafened and Blinded for 10 minutes
30 hit points or fewer: Blinded, Deafened, and Stunned for 1 hour
20 hit points or fewer: killed instantly
Regardless of its current hit points, a celestial, an elemental, a fey, or a fiend that fails its save is forced back to its plane of origin (if it isn’t there already) and can’t return to your current plane for 24 hours by any means short of a wish spell.

Gods have heard the whole divine dictionary worth of word, so to speak.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-19, 10:11 AM
is there anything I could've missed that could increase performance

Become a patron of Middle Finger of Vecna (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/).
Vote for the 'Battle of the Bards' option whenever we do a book poll (https://www.patreon.com/posts/november-poll-13071518).
Wait until the book is published.
Increase performance with new rules, subclasses and magic items!
Also, can Guidance be stacked with your other bonuses? Pretty sure a luckstone can stack, as well.

hymer
2017-07-19, 10:18 AM
Enhance Ability for charisma will almost double your odds of rolling that natural 20. Costs concentration.
I thought about Shapechange, but I can't think of an ability to pick up with it. I guess bonuses to Performance checks are pretty rare.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-19, 10:34 AM
Enhance Ability for charisma will almost double your odds of rolling that natural 20. Costs concentration.
I thought about Shapechange, but I can't think of an ability to pick up with it. I guess bonuses to Performance checks are pretty rare.

Shapechange into a Marilith, and become a one-PC band? Why yes, I am singing, playing two guitars, and the drums all at once, thankyouverymuch.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-19, 10:41 AM
Shapechange into a Marilith, and become a one-PC band? Why yes, I am singing, playing two guitars, and the drums all at once, thankyouverymuch.

Or an ettin - sing your own harmony!

smcmike
2017-07-19, 11:14 AM
To really do this right, though, you need to max dexterity too - dexterity matters when it's time to shred for the guitar solo.

For the backup band, I say go with rogues. The bass and the drums need to be reliable above all else.