PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What's the best Gish for my character concept

Mongobear
2017-07-19, 12:43 PM
Going to be joining an ongoing group in a few weeks at 9th level. The party is quie large, and has most roles covered by atleast one player, sometimes two, however they are slightly lacking in the melee department. I decided to make a Gish, and cover the secondary melee/support/blaster role. However, I don't know which class or multi-class combo would fit my playstyle and desired approach best.

Ideally, I want to be slightly more focused on actually attacking instead of casting spells or spamming SCAG Blade cantrips. I want to mainly use my spells as a way to alter the battlefield in my parties' favor, whether it is via buffing, debuffing, or outight removing our enemy(ies) from the fight. Alternatively, if I were to end up with Divine Smite or Warlock Smite, while also having access to a few of the former options is ok too.

Our party without me is as follows:
Scourge Aasimar BM Fighter//Bearbarian I think he is dual-wielding, but he might be sword and board. His plan is to turn on his transformation and face-tank everything.

Kenku Shadow Monk//Assassin Rogue Basically a Ninja, sneaky and trying to murder people.

Half-Elf Phoenix Sorcerer//Fighter Dipped 2 levels of fighter for armor and action surge, basically he is Iron Man

Hill Dwarf Land Druid (Mountain) Focusing on crowd control and support spells.

Wood Elf Hunter Ranger//Assassin Rogue Headshot McShootyface took sharpshooter and is playing a Sniper hat just blows everyone up.

We're all 9th level, and we rolled stats, my array is 17 17 16 15 14 10. The ideas I have had so far were Paladin//Sorcerer, EK//Bladesinger, or Hexblade Warlock, but I cannot make up my mind and I don't know if I might be missing another class/combo that maybe fits what I want better.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Vaz
2017-07-19, 12:45 PM
With UA, Hexblade Bladelock or Cpnquest Paladin. If not, Bladesinger

Mongobear
2017-07-19, 12:48 PM
With UA, Hexblade Bladelock or Cpnquest Paladin. If not, Bladesinger

Can you explain why? Pros/Cons, etc.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 12:50 PM
Multiclassing delays your progression, and you often don't get the support or situation that will let your character shine. Complex plans and RP are often difficult in a large party, because everyone talks at once.

In that party, if you want to gish, I'd go straight bladesinger. A bladesinger wizard lets you pick up the spells to handle threats that others can't and gives you an INT character to round out the party.

Bladesinger deals low at-will damage. However, your party has that taken care of.

Vaz
2017-07-19, 12:56 PM
I'm on phone so it is kind of difficult.

TL;DR, 9th level give s a Warlock its best googies and can Conjure Elemental for Restraining multiple foes and spending short rest recoverable spell slots on a Smite with a high chance of critting.

Conquest Paladin is awesome for Battlefield Control with its AoE Fear.

Bladesinger just gives you bulk spellslots, with wizard utility to throw in addition to it.

I'm playing a Hexblade 9/Conquest Paladin 5 and its excellent fun (extra spell slots to use with Shield, etc), although I sometimes wish I had Eyebite, or Force Cage, or PW Stun to come up next.

Mongobear
2017-07-19, 12:57 PM
Multiclassing delays your progression, and you often don't get the support or situation that will let your character shine. Complex plans and RP are often difficult in a large party, because everyone talks at once.

In that party, if you want to gish, I'd go straight bladesinger. A bladesinger wizard lets you pick up the spells to handle threats that others can't and gives you an INT character to round out the party.

Bladesinger deals low at-will damage. However, your party has that taken care of.

Pure Bladesinger doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't seem smart to enter melee as one, since they're still just a Wizard in light armor and d6 hit dice. Do I actually play them like a melee character, or do I play like a Wizard and fall back on melee if something catches me offguard?

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 01:06 PM
Pure Bladesinger doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't seem smart to enter melee as one, since they're still just a Wizard in light armor and d6 hit dice. Do I actually play them like a melee character, or do I play like a Wizard and fall back on melee if something catches me offguard?

It depends on the situation. One area where bladesingers really excel is AC. Because of the shield spell, they don't suffer the usual problem of AC getting weaker with level like most martial.

But the most important aspect of bladesinger is options.

Fighting a Remorhaz? No one wants to get into melee. But bladesinger will have a save or cold spell that can shut it down from range.

Fighting a hoard of kobolds? They can't hit you.

Need to stealth? Invisibility.

Druid dropped a big AoE spell? Drop a complementary AoE on top of it.

Unsure what's going on? Wall of Force something. Seriously, that spell is amazing.

Bladesingers are like blade pact warlocks, but with less damage, better AC, and far more options. The options are what your party needs. Even taking Int skills would be helpful to them.

So, if you want to Gish, I suggest Bladesinger for those reasons.

Mongobear
2017-07-19, 01:15 PM
*reasons*

So, if you want to Gish, I suggest Bladesinger for those reasons.

My issue is that I want to play a melee combatant with spells, not a spellcaster with melee abilities. We already have 2 full casters, despite the Int skills I would bring, I don't think Bladesinger is a good fit for me to play.

rbstr
2017-07-19, 01:19 PM
Warlock + blade pact offers a slightly more rough-and-tumble full-caster gish compared to Bladesinger. You have good THP in Armor of Agathys, extra attack at lvl5, a great ranged damage option, and smites.
All of the patrons bring something to it. Hexblade is more readily martial than the others but you can be blasty (fiend), sneaky(goo/fey), or even healy (celestial...this one is a bit blasty too).

If you go dex straight warlock is fine. If you want to use greatweapons take your first level in fighter or, maybe, paladin. Fighter 1 is is pretty good to start with in most builds.
PLD+ lock works pretty well too. At level 9 you could could go PLD5+Lock4 and take any boon or pld-4-or-less and go bladelock.

...Paladin on its own is kind of a ready-made gish. It's all about smacking things, and not much about actually casting-spells at stuff.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 01:25 PM
My issue is that I want to play a melee combatant with spells, not a spellcaster with melee abilities. We already have 2 full casters, despite the Int skills I would bring, I don't think Bladesinger is a good fit for me to play.

Then it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Just play an EK.

Mongobear
2017-07-19, 01:30 PM

There are plenty of classes/archetypes other than EK that are primarily melee, I just don't know what each of them is capable of or which one has better tricks in certain situations, hence this thread.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 01:31 PM

This was my thought as well. You could MC into Bladesinger for the AC, or Abjuration for the extra toughness.

Edit: with starting at level 9 you're only two levels away from an EK's third attack. Since you're not planing on spamming scag cantrips this becomes more valuable than War Magic. I'd straight class it until 11 personally.

Rogerdodger557
2017-07-19, 01:31 PM
Eldritch Knight if you want to martial combat focused

Byke
2017-07-19, 01:34 PM
Paladin 6/3 is what you are looking for!

Easy_Lee
2017-07-19, 01:37 PM
There are plenty of classes/archetypes other than EK that are primarily melee, I just don't know what each of them is capable of or which one has better tricks in certain situations, hence this thread.

Well, that's the rub. Multiclassing is not easy. You can really mess up a character if you're not doing it carefully. Unless there's something specific you have in mind that you really want to do, a pure class is often best.

My vote is still for Bladesinger with that party composition, but you said you want to play a melee with some spells rather than a caster with some melee. And that's fine. With that limitation, EK is the simplest way to fill that role.

Playing a hexblade is more complicated. When picking invocations and spells, you have a limited choice and are stuck with them for a long time. You have to consider what your party needs, and plan accordingly. With EK, you're a melee combatant that only has backup spells. They add options, rather than defining your character the way warlock invocations and spells do.

Aaron Underhand
2017-07-19, 03:24 PM
Paladin 6/3 is what you are looking for!

Sorcerer, Bard or Warlock?

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-19, 03:30 PM
I would play a palabard. Paladin 2/Valor(or swords if DM allows if yes definitely swords)X Start paladin for the weapon and armor proficiency. Decide whether you want to go strength or dex fighting. You have the stats to do either so it's up to you. What this nets you is the ability to smite well with all the Bard slots the great controlling aspects of the bard including inspiration to buff allies and all their debuffs and healing. You still get those nasty 9th level spells and full caster progression and extra attack with buffed damage and if you can go swords you get the awesome blade flourishes which can provide defense, damage, or control, as well as two total fighting styles so you can have dueling and defense making you very strong as a melee character. It will be a very strong cahracter and fulfills what you desire to not be a SCAG machine

Brawnspear
2017-07-19, 04:21 PM
With those stats, you can go a bit crazy. A concept I've wanted to try is Pally 2, Abjuration Wizard X. Flavor yourself as a worshiper of Helm and go all protection-y. The ward will mitigate the lack of hit points from wizard leaving you at the same average hp as more paladin levels, and it recharges. Go half elf and get 18 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 18 int, 15 wis, 16 cha. You end up with first level paladin spells, 4th level wizards spells (banishment for that sweet lock down), heavy armor and shields. I know you said you didn't want to spam scag cantrips, but booming blade can be a lot of fun, controlling and authoritative. It only puts you a level behind on slot progression, and you can choose later if you want to go for the extra attack/auras of paladin or continue on for the spell mastery of the wizard as your capstone. You'll even have a whole 10 hp of free healing to pick people up with.

You have all the same slots as a sorcadin, so smites aplenty, and more variation in what you can bring to the table. Paladin also has a pretty decent abjuration spell (shield of faith) for activating/bumping your ward. Net 22 AC with Shield on standby.

Vaz
2017-07-19, 05:08 PM
Can we just clarify that you guys are reading it right? OP wants to do X but not Y. Telling him to do Y isn't good at all.

I hate this site sometimes. It's like dealing with reddit at times.

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-19, 05:17 PM
Can we just clarify that you guys are reading it right? OP wants to do X but not Y. Telling him to do Y isn't good at all.

I hate this site sometimes. It's like dealing with reddit at times.

I know right. That's why I suggested what I did palabard is a great melee with great control as well.

CursedRhubarb
2017-07-19, 06:49 PM
With your stats a Hill Dwarf Stone Sorcerer could be a blast. +2hp per level (+1 from racial, +1 from origin) so not as squishy, and you'd have decent AC (13+Con). 17s in Str and Cha with 16 Con would be a nice start, then you get your 2 ASI to use. Can smack with a weapon attack then can Quicken a smite spell so your teleport smack when the tank types take a hit gets a nasty damage boost.

You also get lots of spell slots and your sorcery points and can stock up on CC spells for when needed or desired instead of smite bouncing.

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-19, 06:52 PM
With your stats a Hill Dwarf Stone Sorcerer could be a blast. +2hp per level (+1 from racial, +1 from origin) so not as squishy, and you'd have decent AC (13+Con). 17s in Str and Cha with 16 Con would be a nice start, then you get your 2 ASI to use. Can smack with a weapon attack then can Quicken a smite spell so your teleport smack when the tank types take a hit gets a nasty damage boost.

You also get lots of spell slots and your sorcery points and can stock up on CC spells for when needed or desired instead of smite bouncing.

There's no need to quicken a smite spell they already are bonus actions

CursedRhubarb
2017-07-19, 07:02 PM
There's no need to quicken a smite spell they already are bonus actions

Whoops! Can attack and use a quickened CC then. I feel silly having missed that Smites were BA.

War_lord
2017-07-20, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't go pure Bladesinger, even though the concept is a Gish, the way they've actually implemented it is a Wizard who can, theoretically, go into melee... in an emergency. I've got a game coming up where I'm aiming for Arcane Trickster 14/Bladesinger 6, which I'm hoping will be more faithful to the concept then pure Bladesinger.

GorogIrongut
2017-07-20, 04:37 AM

This is one of my favourites to run as well. The OP could also run a Cleric of the Forge as they can be quite gishy.

strangebloke
2017-07-20, 08:35 AM
Paladin 6 / sorcerer 3 is great.

Draconic sorcerer and oath of the crown. Tank all the things

Biggstick
2017-07-20, 10:55 AM
I mean, you could play a single-classed Paladin. Grab Polearm Mastery with one of your ASI's, and even out stats appropriately with your other one. Depending on the type of game the DM is presenting to you would determine which Oath I choose. If the DM presents a game where you're going up against plenty of potential spell casters, an OotA Paladin might be called for. If you're delving into the horrors of the Abyss, maybe a Devotion Paladin should be what's on deck. If it's large scale combat that you're considering, maybe an OotC would fit.

You asked for a gish, and I haven't given you one. I've suggested Paladin. What I see in the party you've suggested is a bunch of folks who min-maxing like crazy. I recommend Paladin to bring out the RP of the group. I've been called a dirty optimizer before, because I enjoy mixing up classes in a way similar to what your group has. But when everyone in the group is doing it, it makes me as a Player want to focus on the RP side of things. A Paladin brings a ton of potential RP to the group, and can act as the glue that keeps everyone together. You bring multiple auras (and even more depending on your Oath choice), you bring healing, out of combat healing (with Aura of Vitality), potential condition cleansing, and you bring some pretty sweet on demand damage. In one more level, your Barbarian will never have to worry about making that Fear save against Dragons again.

TLDR; Go single-classed Paladin. Challenge yourself to RP better then this group of optimizers. Make them remember your character not for the amount of damage they did, but for how they influenced the game.

Mongobear
2017-07-20, 02:46 PM
Paladin 6 / sorcerer 3 is great.

I mean, you could play a single-classed Paladin.

*snip*

You asked for a gish, and I haven't given you one. I've suggested Paladin.

*snip*

TLDR; Go single-classed Paladin. Challenge yourself to RP better then this group of optimizers. Make them remember your character not for the amount of damage they did, but for how they influenced the game.

I've asked several other forums this question, and they're all reaching a consensus about either pure Paladin, a 6/3 Paladin/Sorc like suggested above, or a 7/2 Paladin/Bard if I wanted to go OotA or Oathbreaker.

This is probably my best option if I want to play more of a support role, I would bring some good healing as well as another hearty body in melee. Our Monk has like a 12 Con, so if he gets focused, he falls down a lot.

Citan
2017-07-20, 04:34 PM
Going to be joining an ongoing group in a few weeks at 9th level. The party is quie large, and has most roles covered by atleast one player, sometimes two, however they are slightly lacking in the melee department. I decided to make a Gish, and cover the secondary melee/support/blaster role. However, I don't know which class or multi-class combo would fit my playstyle and desired approach best.

Ideally, I want to be slightly more focused on actually attacking instead of casting spells or spamming SCAG Blade cantrips. I want to mainly use my spells as a way to alter the battlefield in my parties' favor, whether it is via buffing, debuffing, or outight removing our enemy(ies) from the fight. Alternatively, if I were to end up with Divine Smite or Warlock Smite, while also having access to a few of the former options is ok too.

Our party without me is as follows:
Scourge Aasimar BM Fighter//Bearbarian I think he is dual-wielding, but he might be sword and board. His plan is to turn on his transformation and face-tank everything.

Kenku Shadow Monk//Assassin Rogue Basically a Ninja, sneaky and trying to murder people.

Half-Elf Phoenix Sorcerer//Fighter Dipped 2 levels of fighter for armor and action surge, basically he is Iron Man

Hill Dwarf Land Druid (Mountain) Focusing on crowd control and support spells.

Wood Elf Hunter Ranger//Assassin Rogue Headshot McShootyface took sharpshooter and is playing a Sniper hat just blows everyone up.

We're all 9th level, and we rolled stats, my array is 17 17 16 15 14 10. The ideas I have had so far were Paladin//Sorcerer, EK//Bladesinger, or Hexblade Warlock, but I cannot make up my mind and I don't know if I might be missing another class/combo that maybe fits what I want better.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
With what you have in mind as a role and those great stats, Monk is a nice fit, as well as Moon Druid.
Obviously Bladesinger is a great choice too.

I notice you have only one person with good healing (Druid).
Since you are starting right at level 9, there are many good builds to try.

Cleric + Druid allows you to make a few Goodberries, but the main value is elsewhere.
You can either give you a mobility boost (Longstrider), or a defense boost (Shield of Faith), or take care of the usual Bless boost.
You also get cantrips for when plain attacks won't cut it, such as Sacred Flame (for high AC / low DEX) or Thorns Whip (when an enemy is too well-guarded).
And you get Stunning Strike awesomeness, extremely high AC (I suggest Variant Human to get Mobile and start with 18 DEX and WIS, then max DEX with the ASI).
In addition to archetype abilities.

Nature Cleric 5 / Open Hand Monk 4
Basic idea here is to cast Spirit Guardians, then use Shillelagh or attacks with Monk features to keep creatures stuck within Spirit Guardians AOE.

Take advantage of those godly rolls and get Bladesinger benefit.
Bladesinger 3 / Monk 6 (Mirror Image, Blur) or Bladesinger 2 / Monk 7 (Evasion).

Monk 1 / War Cleric 1 / Bladesinger 7
Go normal human to start with 14 STR, 18 DEX, 16 CON, 17 INT, 18 WIS, 11 CHA, using the ASI on Observant to bump INT to 18.
Cleric is here to provide some alternate healing (Healing Words), but also offense buff (Bless, Divine Favor), active defense buff (Shield of Faith), passive defense buff (Sanctuary, great if you have to prepare a long spell in a pinch, like Leomund's Tiny Hut).

You start with better AC than if you took a Fighter dip, you can use a quarterstaff focus to attack with DEX, you get Extra Attack and bonus action thanks to Monk, and still all goodies of a 7th level Wizard.

Or, since UA seems allowed and you want a simpler build, plain Hexblade Warlock. ;)

Well, with your stats in particular, you would actually end as more tanky than a Fighter.
Mage Armor + INT, with starting 18 in DEX and INT, already boosts your AC to 21.
Max DEX with the first ASI, now you have 22 AC and best Mirror Image.
Max INT instead, you still get 22 AC and best DC.

Allow me to differ.
If you really want to make a melee character, grab a single starting level of Fighter for Constitution proficiency and TWF.
Grab Tough if you'd like to be on the safe side, although Inspiring Leader could also work well for you and others as well (your stats are good enough to get a 14 in CHA).
Otherwise, Mobile is your best bet.

Now, you just have to cast either Magic Weapon, Haste or Greater Invisibility depending on your taste and you are good to go. Put on a Longstrider and Mirror Image for the big fight of the day.
With Haste, you get 24 (or 25 you instead bumped the remaining stat) AC before even Shield, extreme movement (Haste + potential Mobile / Longstrider), and 4 attacks (Extra Attack + Bonus action + Haste attack), with free disengage if you took mobile, or otherwise 3 attacks and disengage from Haste.

On top of which you can ultimately put +INT.
Believe me, it's "melee hitter" enough for you to have fun. ;)

Now, it's also very true that Paladin are "built-in" gish and very balanced overall. If you think this is gonna be a long campaign, I'd advise staying single classed. Paladin is one of those classes where nearly every level brings a great thing. ;)

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-21, 08:58 AM
Guys, the answer is always bard.

Revised College of the Sword Bard 6-7/paladin or revised ranger 2-3

Blade Flourish is extra attack with 10 to your speed and you can add some cool effect on it, you get all the control spells you want under the bards list, and if you just want to smite with them you can cuz you can buff/support with bardic inspiration or just use bardic inspiration on swinging away and he spells to support. Paladin is obvious really good with this but consider ranger cuz you have the stats to make it work and you can also pick up ensnaring strike, and zephyr strike (starter spells ua), as well as favored enemy, bonus damage via hunter conclave level 3 options , and all the goodies rangers get to be good outdoors with bonus to initiative and first round of combat.

Really its a melee build with spell casting options. Skill monkey options too. One might say you're mostly fullcaster, but i think that just depends on how you play, you still have as many attacks per round as other full melee guys (minus monk maybe) and will deal just as much damage as any other sword and board builds.

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-21, 10:29 AM
Guys, the answer is always bard.

Revised College of the Sword Bard 6-7/paladin or revised ranger 2-3

Blade Flourish is extra attack with 10 to your speed and you can add some cool effect on it, you get all the control spells you want under the bards list, and if you just want to smite with them you can cuz you can buff/support with bardic inspiration or just use bardic inspiration on swinging away and he spells to support. Paladin is obvious really good with this but consider ranger cuz you have the stats to make it work and you can also pick up ensnaring strike, and zephyr strike (starter spells ua), as well as favored enemy, bonus damage via hunter conclave level 3 options , and all the goodies rangers get to be good outdoors with bonus to initiative and first round of combat.

Really its a melee build with spell casting options. Skill monkey options too. One might say you're mostly fullcaster, but i think that just depends on how you play, you still have as many attacks per round as other full melee guys (minus monk maybe) and will deal just as much damage as any other sword and board builds.

Exactly what I suggested. No other build suits what he wants as well as this. With this build he could go strength or dex with his amazing stat set, so he could conceivably go Great Weapon fighting if he wants and make this build super nasty

Biggstick
2017-07-21, 12:32 PM
Guys, the answer is always bard. -Snip- Palabard.

Exactly what I suggested. No other build suits what he wants as well as this. With this build he could go strength or dex with his amazing stat set, so he could conceivably go Great Weapon fighting if he wants and make this build super nasty

Now, I'm a huge fan of both Paladins and Bards. I love standard Strength and the not-so-standard Dexterity Paladins. I really like Lore Bards, though I've never played one, and enjoy the hell out of the Sharpshooting Valor Bards that I've played.

What I noticed while playing my Valor Bards through level 13 though was that my saves sucked. Both the one that started out as a Fighter for the Archery Fighting style and the one that was single-classed Valor Bard. The other thing I noticed was I didn't have any ways to consistently lower the amount of damage I took. The only tactic I really had to reduce incoming damage was to keep far away (120' plus) and out of sight (Invisibility and Greater Invisibility). And even then! I was still taking residual damage from random aoe abilities and failing my important saving throws (My Constitution stat was never above 14 and my Wisdom stat was never above 12.). God forbid the times the DM put us in an enclosed space where I wasn't able to get at least 100' away.

I say all this to say that as a melee-based Valor Bard, you're probably going to be built similarly to how my Sharpshooting Bards were built. You'll spend an ASI on increasing a stat once (which OP won't have to necessarily worry about, so good on em) and another ASI on a relevant combat feat (GWM, PAM, Shield Master, etc). The (Palabard) character's save bonuses are going to suck. They won't have any way to reduce incoming damage, and only having a d8 hit die won't give you much cushion to take extra damage.

For those of you who have experience playing Palabards in the mid to late game (which the Palabard has to wait until level 8 to really come online anyways), how did you deal with having a relatively weak hp and save bonuses?

clem
2017-07-21, 01:37 PM
Mountain Dwarf Abjuration Wizard: medium armor proficiency, battleaxe and warhammer proficiency, plenty of temporary hit points and defensive spells.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-21, 01:59 PM
Now, I'm a huge fan of both Paladins and Bards. I love standard Strength and the not-so-standard Dexterity Paladins. I really like Lore Bards, though I've never played one, and enjoy the hell out of the Sharpshooting Valor Bards that I've played.

What I noticed while playing my Valor Bards through level 13 though was that my saves sucked. Both the one that started out as a Fighter for the Archery Fighting style and the one that was single-classed Valor Bard. The other thing I noticed was I didn't have any ways to consistently lower the amount of damage I took. The only tactic I really had to reduce incoming damage was to keep far away (120' plus) and out of sight (Invisibility and Greater Invisibility). And even then! I was still taking residual damage from random aoe abilities and failing my important saving throws (My Constitution stat was never above 14 and my Wisdom stat was never above 12.). God forbid the times the DM put us in an enclosed space where I wasn't able to get at least 100' away.

I say all this to say that as a melee-based Valor Bard, you're probably going to be built similarly to how my Sharpshooting Bards were built. You'll spend an ASI on increasing a stat once (which OP won't have to necessarily worry about, so good on em) and another ASI on a relevant combat feat (GWM, PAM, Shield Master, etc). The (Palabard) character's save bonuses are going to suck. They won't have any way to reduce incoming damage, and only having a d8 hit die won't give you much cushion to take extra damage.

For those of you who have experience playing Palabards in the mid to late game (which the Palabard has to wait until level 8 to really come online anyways), how did you deal with having a relatively weak hp and save bonuses?

ok so some of the issues could be addressed by using the revised college of swords bard, not the valor bard. When you blade flourish you get 10 extra movement, an attack, and you can use a flourish. Expend a Bardic Inspiration die, and you can add that to your AC, or do AOE damage, or Push an enemy then move towards the enemy again. You also get a fighting style, Dueling or Two-Fighting, and an extra attack.

Also he's starting at level 9, d8 isnt nothing he'll have at least one asi or feat he could use for mobile that way he could just attack and run away for free disengage, or Resil X to shore up a save, but he also has amazing stats to use so its almost irrelevant.