PDA

View Full Version : Do you allow agility as stat for MC paladin and STR for MC Ranger if a player asks?

Spacehamster
2017-07-19, 01:39 PM
Just curious since an agility paladin is viable and as is a STR ranger if you so wish, always
thought it sucked a bit that Paladin and Ranger who requires two stats at 13 to MC has their attack stat
set in stone while the Fighter who only needs 1 stat to MC gets to choose between DEX or STR.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-19, 01:41 PM
I think stat restrictions on multiclassing are stupid anyway, so...

hymer
2017-07-19, 01:44 PM
It depends on the campaign. When I have a lot of new people, I'm not comfortable giving small, individual excemptions. With some people, you give an inch and they take a foot. Much more than that and you don't have a leg to stand on. And I don't know yet which category they may fall in.
If it's an old group with players I'm comfortable with and trust not to get carried away, I might waive multiclass restrictions alltogether.

DivisibleByZero
2017-07-19, 01:48 PM
Multiclass requirements were set based on iconic stereotypical characters of that class.
If you don't care for iconic or stereotypical style, ignore them.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 01:54 PM
It always struck me as odd that I could create a new ranger with 12 dex or wis, but not multiclass into one with those stats.

To be consistent I would prefer those be actual single class requirements too, or not have multiclass stat requirements at all.

Spacehamster
2017-07-19, 01:55 PM
Yeah mostly thought to let it be the other attack stat if it makes sense, like an elven Paladin would likely use DEX based fighting and thus it makes no sense that
to MC he uses STR 13 to be able to do it, while a mtn dorf ranger would use STR based combat. :)

Byke
2017-07-19, 01:58 PM
I think stat restrictions on multiclassing are stupid anyway, so...

QFT....I get that it's targeted to new player. But it takes away from any player creativity and individuality.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-19, 02:00 PM
Makes sense to me. For a Ranger I think it's less likley to come up. Even on my Strength based Rangers I make sure to have 14 Dex for max AC in medium armor and 14 Wis for decent perception checks.

jas61292
2017-07-19, 02:01 PM
Personally, no, I would not allow this. I don't love paladin especially multiclassing easily with Dex based classes, but even as just a general rule, I like there to be a cost. I am a big fan of single class characters, and while I don't begrudge people being able to multiclass, I do think there should be restrictions. Honestly, I kinda wish every class had two stat requirements.

Spacehamster
2017-07-19, 02:10 PM
Personally, no, I would not allow this. I don't love paladin especially multiclassing easily with Dex based classes, but even as just a general rule, I like there to be a cost. I am a big fan of single class characters, and while I don't begrudge people being able to multiclass, I do think there should be restrictions. Honestly, I kinda wish every class had two stat requirements.

Why should MC have restrictions when single class have no restrictions?

Spiritchaser
2017-07-19, 02:20 PM
I have been asked once, and said ok on that one time. I imagine there could be different players and circumstances where I might say no, but probably not many.

If it turns out to be a balance issue... well... there are so many ways to balance relative power within the group... and absolute power is somewhat irrelevant.

Tanarii
2017-07-19, 02:27 PM
Why should MC have restrictions when single class have no restrictions?
Because generally speaking, multiclassing is more powerful. That's the parity primary reason people do 'builds'. Not because character.

Naanomi
2017-07-19, 02:44 PM
I approved a MC rogue/fighter with STR instead of DEX. The character was strong, but would have been anyways. As a rule I'd not allow it, but I'd be open to exceptions