PDA

View Full Version : A good tank considering all class options and UA

Satsujinki
2017-07-20, 07:30 AM
Considering all class options, multiclass and UA(no mystic, dint wanna trouble the dn too much) what do you think would be a good tank? I know of totem barb but.... that's redundant.

Rogerdodger557
2017-07-20, 07:42 AM
Go a couple fighter for the armor proficiencies/second wind & action surge, and then go totem barbarian. You will be hard to hit, and you get resistance to almost all damage.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-20, 07:56 AM
Go a couple fighter for the armor proficiencies/second wind & action surge, and then go totem barbarian. You will be hard to hit, and you get resistance to almost all damage.

The armor profs are kinda useless on a Barb, since you can't rage in heavy armor. But second wind and action surge are nice. The fighting style helps as well. If you're going for a Tank, maybe sword+board barbarian, and go either defensive (and pick up either the Protection or Defense fighting style depending on how many other melee you have), or offensive (and go Dueling for some bonus damage on each hit).

malachi
2017-07-20, 08:02 AM

You can't rage in heavy armor, so straight barbarian gives you all the armor proficiencies you'd want.

There's a UA barbarian (Ancients or something) that lets you use your reaction while raging to reduce the damage that an enemy deals to one of your allies. Later, it starts reflecting that damage back to the enemy.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-07-20, 09:41 AM
It would be interesting to see a build with the Redemption Paladin, Protection Cleric, and Maybe Undying Light Warlock based around making enemies regret touching anyone in your party with all the reaction damage, and smiting.

Biggstick
2017-07-20, 09:45 AM
You can't rage in heavy armor, so straight barbarian gives you all the armor proficiencies you'd want.

There's a UA barbarian (Ancients or something) that lets you use your reaction while raging to reduce the damage that an enemy deals to one of your allies. Later, it starts reflecting that damage back to the enemy.

You can rage while you're in heavy armor, you just don't receive the benefits of the rage. Unless you're a level 3 Bear Totem Barbarian, in which you do receive the Rage benefits of resistance to all damage but psychic.

I would also recommend the recently released UA Barbarian if you're looking to "tank." in 5E. The Oath of the Crown Paladin from SCAG is also another good tanking class imo.

Belltent
2017-07-20, 10:10 AM
I never understood the train of thought that said tanking means having the highest AC and HP possible. Tanks force enemies on to them and prevent damage to their allies.

With that in mind, I submit to you the revised Ancestral Barbarian. All the barby things you know and love plus:

-Disadvantage to a target to attack anyone but you

-Allies get resistance to that target's attacks

-Nullify damage to your allies with a reaction, starting at 2d8 and topping off at 4d8.

-Eventual retributive damage rider on top of that ability.

Alternatively, I think it's still pretty hard to beat a Booming Blade EK. Tanking through control.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-20, 10:20 AM
You can rage while you're in heavy armor, you just don't receive the benefits of the rage. Unless you're a level 3 Bear Totem Barbarian, in which you do receive the Rage benefits of resistance to all damage but psychic.

I would also recommend the recently released UA Barbarian if you're looking to "tank." in 5E. The Oath of the Crown Paladin from SCAG is also another good tanking class imo.

That seems like a weird interpretation of the Rage rules, but it certainly does seem that way based on RAW. It just seems very weird that you can Rage, get none of the base benefits, but you still get to keep any sub-class rage benefits, like Frenzy's bonus attack and immunity to charm.

deathadder99
2017-07-20, 10:27 AM
I never understood the train of thought that said tanking means having the highest AC and HP possible. Tanks force enemies on to them and prevent damage to their allies.

With that in mind, I submit to you the revised Ancestral Barbarian. All the barby things you know and love plus:

-Disadvantage to a target to attack anyone but you

-Allies get resistance to that target's attacks

-Nullify damage to your allies with a reaction, starting at 2d8 and topping off at 4d8.

-Eventual retributive damage rider on top of that ability.

Alternatively, I think it's still pretty hard to beat a Booming Blade EK. Tanking through control.

I came here to say literally the exact same thing.

Spiritchaser
2017-07-20, 11:07 AM
At mid to high level I think an ancestral barb/Hexblade might be fun.

Curse of hexes not being a spell and all that...

Sirithhyando
2017-07-20, 12:14 PM
A tank is the one who takes the damage for the others right? Then it's not entirely correct but i've asked not long ago about a fighter that control the battlefield.
It should avoid any damage for anyone that rely on melee.
Battlefield-control (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529547-Battlefield-control)

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 01:42 PM
With UA allowed, one feat and a fighting style will enable anyone to keep allies (mostly) safe from harm.

Sentinel
UA: Tunnel Fighter

Wield any weapon with reach, and use the fighting style every round. You have infinite opportunity attacks to freeze enemies in place for trying to move.

Combo that with whatever classes and features you think make a good tank, depending on how you define it.

Finieous
2017-07-20, 01:48 PM

It's a slippery slope: Why is forcing enemies onto the tank better than forcing enemies to do nothing? Then you wind up with wizards (or sorcadins or whatever) being the best "tanks."

Belltent
2017-07-20, 02:13 PM
It's a slippery slope: Why is forcing enemies onto the tank better than forcing enemies to do nothing? Then you wind up with wizards (or sorcadins or whatever) being the best "tanks."

Most people know it’s more than that. Self-preservation is important in a tank. Control helps no one if the controller is dead.

You could be really good at taking/not getting hit....or you could be really good at controlling large groups of enemies.

Or, you could be a tank.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-20, 02:49 PM
Going off of the idea of control tanking, i would suggest the Sword and Board Revised Conquest Paladin/Hexblade Warlock combo. Probably Going for Dragonborn to grab Dragon fear but lots of options when it comes to race.

It mainly works by going in next to bunch of enemies, and using your AOE fear Channel divinity, and also your aura at level 7 to have everyone frightened and immobile while also taking CHA mod in dmg from Aura plus Cloak of Flies, and any AOE from your party. Works even better if you start knocking people prone. Pick up Earth Tremor (EE 1st level 10ft radius dex sav or prone + 1d6 bldg) with magic initiate bard or sorcerer (probably bard, grab cool bard cantrips), and maybe Grasp of Hadar so you can grab people back into your aura with your EB.

You're gonna want to mostly be Paladin though, or even pure Conquest paladin would be fine, warlock isnt really necessary it just helps to be almost completely cha dependent.

Specter
2017-07-20, 03:10 PM
If your party has a lot of ranged, Crown Paladin gets better and better. Use Champion's Challenge to keep them close and Spirit Guardians away. If you want to be even more annoying, grab Sentinel.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-20, 04:39 PM
I'm a big fan of the UA Ancestral guardians Barbarian It gives great incentives to have bad guys hit you instead of your allies, which pits their damage against your big bag of hitpoints and resistance form rage.

BurgerBeast
2017-07-20, 06:01 PM
That seems like a weird interpretation of the Rage rules, but it certainly does seem that way based on RAW. It just seems very weird that you can Rage, get none of the base benefits, but you still get to keep any sub-class rage benefits, like Frenzy's bonus attack and immunity to charm.

It may seem weird, but it's true. I just learned this today (thanks, Aett).

Note that not all subclass benefits are useable in heavy armour. For example, see level 3 eagle totem ability.

Ugganaut
2017-07-20, 06:36 PM
I like the idea of a mountain dwarf, Vengeance Paladin 3/Stone Sorcerer X. Str 15+2, Con 15+2, Cha 13. Booming Blade as main attack, with a control type rider. Heavy armor and shield(with the stone armor if caught unarmored), Stone Aegis to mitigate some damage and then punish. Good defense, good offense, and Cure Wounds at Pal 2(+Lay on Hands) gives good healing to boot.
Cha doesn't need to be high, use smite regularly for damage, and focus on defensive/utility spells that don't require an attack/save.
Twin Spell and Quicken Spell for Booming Blade, even convert spell slots to keep it up.
Feats: Resilient(Con 18), Fell-Handed goes well with Vengeance advantage, +1Str/Cha if you like round numbers.

This is totally overpowered. But you weren't asking for balance :P

Citan
2017-07-20, 07:48 PM
Considering all class options, multiclass and UA(no mystic, dint wanna trouble the dn too much) what do you think would be a good tank? I know of totem barb but.... that's redundant.
I'd suggest you look out for a thread that's called "tank contest" or something like that (seach on forum) it has several good builds.

Otherwise the usual...
Ancients Paladin / Sorcerer: great mix of spells and permanent buffs.
Life Cleric 3 / Druid 1 / Long Death Monk 6+: get Life Goodberries by full stacks to help on the next adventuring day, buff your friends with Bless, cast Sanctuary on yourself then "spam" your Fear ability (not a spell, not an attack, so not breaking Sanctuary).

Many other builds, but no time now unfortunately.

Also it could help if you could tell...
If you are starting right from level 1, or higher level.
How high you expect your character to go.
Other party members if you know. :)

cZak
2017-07-21, 10:37 AM
Understood you excluded mystic, but I was theorycrafting. I have the opportunity for a CoS game, which caps about level ten.
Using elite array 15,14,13,12,10,8 for stats. Vhuman for Heavy armor master (HAM). The goal is to have a character that is strong (good AC, hit points & attack/damage) that also boosts the party abilities to stay safe.

I'm starting fighter for the proficiencies (armor & weapons), S&B & dueling style, tho it's a hard choice for Defense. I don't want Protection (tho it fits very well thematically) because I see a lot of opportunities to use my reactions down the road.

Then it's going to be four levels of Immortal:
+1 hit point/ level keeps pace with fighter.
Giant form for +5' reach
Celerity for the +10 speed
Mantle of Command for ally 1/2 move with reaction
Then 'probably' six levels of Battlemaster.

The Int mod temp hit points every round with the DR of HAM make for some good endurance.
ASI/ feat select will probably go Sentinel(5th), +2 Str (8th). Not sure what at 10th or even if we get that far.

RP/background concept, he's an old (50+ years) retired campaigner (soldier) during the giant invasions (Sterich in Greyhawk).
Working with DM, I'm developing mundane reasons for his psionic effects & tying them to association with comrades long gone. Kind of a haunted effect which seems thematic for CoS.

Khrysaes
2017-07-21, 11:31 AM
With UA allowed, one feat and a fighting style will enable anyone to keep allies (mostly) safe from harm.

Sentinel
UA: Tunnel Fighter

Wield any weapon with reach, and use the fighting style every round. You have infinite opportunity attacks to freeze enemies in place for trying to move.

Combo that with whatever classes and features you think make a good tank, depending on how you define it.

Combine this with Bugbear and PAM. 15ft range. Enlarge will give more reach. And while you said no mystic, Giant Form discipline from mystic gives enlarge and more reach on top of it.

Then combine it with Vengeance Paladin level 7.

Heavy Armor, 15ft + Reach, unlimited opportunity attacks when someone gets in your range, stop them when they do, and then move afterwards.

Paladin 9 gets that awesome spell.. Aura of Vitality? AFB so going off memory. Get some Sorcerer Metamagic and it is even better. I tthink it was extend that made it better.

The Rogue Swashbuckler level 9 feature isnt bad for tanking. I think the one in the UA was better for it than the one in SCAG, but either might be good.

Warlock Gift of the Green One, or whatever it is called in the Hexblade UA, or the updated version that reuqires you to have the familiar(which may or may not give magic resistance, so also good), makes all healing targeting you go for max. Life cleric will improve that healing further.

Scarytincan
2017-07-21, 12:08 PM
Oath of crown with sentinel and either shield and whip or dual wield with whip as off hand if u want better main hand dmg, tho dmg isn't 'tank responsibility', shield would give more ac, especially if magic. Turn on spirit guardians and channel divinity feature... I'm sure there's plenty of mc that could improve too, but that's never really been an interest of mine personally...

wilhelmdubdub
2017-07-25, 11:14 PM
For the not-dying part: half-orc barbarian 16/ shadow sorcerer 1/ Champion 3 if you get dropped to 0 you have 3 chances to stabilize yourself.
For the damage part: with tunnel fighter, glaive and PAM + sentinel you reckless attack, Crit on a 19-20 and if you do the damage is 5D10 +Str.