PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic Legendary Intelligent Spellcasting Questions

Barstro
2017-07-20, 07:51 AM
All evidence and precedence to the contrary, I do hate asking similar questions over and over. :smallconfused:

I'm considering having my Mythic Sorcerer get a Legendary Ring of Spell Storing, and use Intelligent: Spellcasting on it a lot. But my research has lead me to reevaluate how it works.

This maximum increases to six if the bonded creature selects the legendary item universal path ability twice, and then to 10 if the bonded creature selects the ability three times (again, the maximum cannot exceed the bonded creature’s number of tiers). These abilities are added at the rate of one per day.

Once selected, these abilities cannot be changed.

Intelligent: You can select this ability more than once. Each time you do... select one of the following special abilities...

Spellcasting: This item allows its bearer to cast a limited number of spells as spell-like abilities. This ability can be taken more than once. Each time it’s taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points to spend on selecting what spells the item can cast. A spell costs a number of points equal to its level (minimum 1)... All spells must come from the same class’s spell list. No spell can have a level higher than the bonded creature’s tier.

Can the creator change the spells each day? I believe the answer is "no".

Can the creator choose a spell higher than level 5? I thought the answer was yes, but now I do not know. We have an interaction between "Each time it’s taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points" and "These abilities are added at the rate of one per day."

Can the points be "saved" for the future? That answer can potentially change the prior one. I see nothing to suggest that the points can be saved. While I am aware that "specific trumps general", I am not aware of the d20 rule "ambiguity trumps general".

Can spells from different classes be chosen each day? I believe the answer is "yes".

So, what I think I can have is (at most);
Intelligent item with 50 points (10 x 5). With spells no greater than fifth level, but from whatever school I want.

As a related question, based on the following;
The bearer can then activate the item to use each spell-like ability once per day. By spending double the cost, the bearer can use each spell-like ability three times per day. Can the points be spent on the same spell two separate times to benefit from the 3/day? RAW, I think not.

Barstro
2017-07-21, 12:15 PM
Giving this one bump.

gartius
2017-07-22, 04:39 AM
you cannot change the spells once chosen. once selected those are your spells in question.

Can spells from different classes be chosen each day? I believe the answer is "yes".

Spellcasting: This item allows its bearer to cast a limited number of spells as spell-like abilities. This ability can be taken more than once. Each time it's taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points to spend on selecting what spells the item can cast. A spell costs a number of points equal to its level (minimum 1). The bearer can then activate the item to use each spell-like ability once per day. By spending double the cost, the bearer can use each spell-like ability three times per day. All spells must come from the same class's spell list. No spell can have a level higher than the bonded creature's tier. The caster level for these spells is equal to double the bonded creature's tier. The save DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell level + the bonded creature's tier.

So no they all come from the same list.

For saving of points so you can learn higher level spells than 5 i would ask your dm-i would allow it but its up to them

can you explain the last question more clearly? I'm not following what you're asking.

Barstro
2017-07-24, 12:33 PM
Spellcasting: This item allows its bearer to cast a limited number of spells as spell-like abilities. This ability can be taken more than once. Each time it's taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points to spend on selecting what spells the item can cast. A spell costs a number of points equal to its level (minimum 1). The bearer can then activate the item to use each spell-like ability once per day. By spending double the cost, the bearer can use each spell-like ability three times per day. All spells must come from the same class's spell list. No spell can have a level higher than the bonded creature's tier. The caster level for these spells is equal to double the bonded creature's tier. The save DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell level + the bonded creature's tier.

So no they all come from the same list.

I do not see how your quote proves that all spells must come from the same list. Certainly all spells chosen per 5 points from each selection would need to be from the same list.

The last question is related to saving points...

Relevant description; "Each time it's taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points to spend on selecting what spells the item can cast. A spell costs a number of points equal to its level (minimum 1). The bearer can then activate the item to use each spell-like ability once per day."

Question; Can the PC take this ability and spend 5 points on a level 5 spell, then take the ability again (five more points) spend them on the same spell, and get three uses? "By spending double the cost, the bearer can use each spell-like ability three times per day."

Calthropstu
2017-07-24, 02:04 PM
Saving points: Yes.
It doesn't say you must spend them right away. Keep in mind you cannot get a spell of a level higher than your tier.
Also, it counts as a spell like ability: No spell component costs.
The rule of must all be on the same list applies to all spells not just groups of 5. So once chosen, you are stuck on that list. (Not so bad really.)
As a side note, this really should have been done in the other thread.

Barstro
2017-07-24, 02:47 PM
It doesn't say you must spend them right away..
You are correct. Now I cannot even figure out how I read any ambiguity into it.

As a side note, this really should have been done in the other thread.
I think the mechanics of how a spell works is different enough from specific options to warrant a new thread. But I do see your point.