PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two weapons

Master O'Laughs
2017-07-20, 08:14 AM
So in my west marches campaign I am playing a rogue/fighter I just hit level 4 (R1/F3) and I have been using a rapier and shield (shield master). I just found a +1 Magic Dagger which also has the keen property (Critical hits on 19-20). Am I better off switching to the dagger for all attacks? It is more accurate, only 1 less average damage, and crits more often. Thanks for your replies!

Bloodcloud
2017-07-20, 08:20 AM
Yes. It also bypass damage resist for many monster, and because of that sneak attack die, your one attack does good damage if it hits, even better if it crits. Pretty sure dpr is better if you use the dagger.

Unoriginal
2017-07-20, 08:20 AM
So in my west marches campaign I am playing a rogue/fighter I just hit level 4 (R1/F3) and I have been using a rapier and shield (shield master). I just found a +1 Magic Dagger which also has the keen property (Critical hits on 19-20). Am I better off switching to the dagger for all attacks? It is more accurate, only 1 less average damage, and crits more often. Thanks for your replies!

Seems to me like it's a pretty decent trade. You can still keep the rapier in case you need it, at worse.

Are you going to give a name to your dagger? Could be fun to name it something cool, like Serpent Tooth or Third Hand.

mgshamster
2017-07-20, 08:30 AM
One of my players did the same thing. Switched from a rapier to a +1 dagger.

Roll in the DMG to see what it looks like and it's history. When we did it, we discovered it was forged by the earth Elementals, and he naked it Cobble.

Master O'Laughs
2017-07-20, 08:33 AM
Seems to me like it's a pretty decent trade. You can still keep the rapier in case you need it, at worse.

Are you going to give a name to your dagger? Could be fun to name it something cool, like Serpent Tooth or Third Hand.

Yeah, I definitely plan on naming it. :)

I might lose the rapier and go all daggers, I already have a masterwork dagger and 3 regular ones. I could just stow them all over my body :)

Unoriginal
2017-07-20, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I definitely plan on naming it. :)

Any idea right now?

I might lose the rapier and go all daggers, I already have a masterwork dagger and 3 regular ones. I could just stow them all over my body :)

Well, I'd say that having a different weapon just in case won't hurt (or you might get something completely different, like a hammer or the like).

There is no rules for masterwork weapons in the books, is your DM house-ruling it?

Master O'Laughs
2017-07-20, 08:57 AM
Any idea right now?

Well, I'd say that having a different weapon just in case won't hurt (or you might get something completely different, like a hammer or the like).

There is no rules for masterwork weapons in the books, is your DM house-ruling it?

Current Idea is Bloodletter or something playing off the keen aspect.

MW is getting treated as +1 damage only no bonus to hit.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 09:03 AM
I'd say definitely, especially on a shield master rogue. You hit with advantage more often than most characters, and sneak attack dice are doubled on a crit. You also really need to land that one attack. Keen and higher +hit are exceptionally beneficial.

nickl_2000
2017-07-20, 09:28 AM
There would be no question in my mind on this one. I would take the dagger.

The +1 to attack and overcoming non-magical resistances, would more than offset the overall -1 to damage. The 19-20 crit range may even offset the -1 average damage (especially if you are a halfling and can re-roll 1s).

Master O'Laughs
2017-07-20, 09:36 AM
There would be no question in my mind on this one. I would take the dagger.

The +1 to attack and overcoming non-magical resistances, would more than offset the overall -1 to damage. The 19-20 crit range may even offset the -1 average damage (especially if you are a halfling and can re-roll 1s).

I wasn't even thinking about overcoming damage resistance when I posted this. Thanks everyone for the input. I now have a new awesome weapon!