PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is a Slaughterstone?

CrackedChair
2017-07-20, 11:38 AM
I browsed D&D miniatures and I found this horrifying thing with blades called a Slaughterstone. Now I am curious as to what it really is...

IcarusWulfe
2017-07-20, 02:43 PM
The Slaughterstone Behemoth is a big scary stabby golden if I remember correctly.

PersonMan
2017-07-20, 03:16 PM
A pair of monsters, from the DnD 3.5 book Monster Manual IV (or V, but I think it was 4): the Slaughterstone Behemoth, and the Slaughterstone Eviscerator. The name is, I think, from "well, they kill stuff, and are made of stone. And Slaughterstone sounds cool as heck", rather than referring to something 'deeper'.

Aotrs Commander
2017-07-20, 04:22 PM
A pair of monsters, from the DnD 3.5 book Monster Manual IV (or V, but I think it was 4): the Slaughterstone Behemoth, and the Slaughterstone Eviscerator. The name is, I think, from "well, they kill stuff, and are made of stone. And Slaughterstone sounds cool as heck", rather than referring to something 'deeper'.

3.5, the edition that taught us "Dire animals are just animals with extra spikes." In bizzare places.

3.5/PF is my system of choice, but 3.5's monster design (aethetically, and to a lesser degree mechanically) was a bit... Naff, in too many places1.

Mind you, 4E's monster manual was the only one I ever actually simply got rid of, which is arguably worse.

Actually, the earlier editions of D&D could hit some real lows, come to that.

(I have no idea what 5E is like.)

Huh. I guess PF really only gets away with it because it's so heavily integrated into Golarion and there for is a little more grounded. (Golarion being, like, the only campaign world ever I buy the source books to just read the fluff.)

1Though the base chassis of standardising the of monster stats to be the same of PCs was itself a stroke of genius and I will never go back in that system or any other2.

2Yes, this does make stat generation for Rolemaster rather more time-consuming.

Oh, and yes, RM would be a bit squiffy on monster design as well, just so I'm not being too unbiased...!

CrackedChair
2017-07-21, 02:50 PM
Well, whatever the lore behind this, it looks horrifying. I hope I don't meet one in 5th edition!