PDA

View Full Version : How to open up a school for magic?

NecroDancer
2017-07-20, 12:04 PM
This is an odd question but assuming I'm a 10-11th level mage and I have an area for a school and some teachers (a Lich, a seer, a fallen angel, 2 wizards, one gish, and a cleric) how would I get the news out about my school and get students?

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-20, 12:07 PM
Letters carried by owl seems to do the trick.

Sirithhyando
2017-07-20, 12:10 PM
Go to neighboring (oh that's definitly not how it's supposed to be written...) town and advertise it with "Skywrite" en emphatize it with "Pyrotechnics".

Also, cast from a wagon that you've put a "Continual flame" on it.

If that doesn't get the attention and show's it's about magic, not sure what will. :smallcool:

Temperjoke
2017-07-20, 02:27 PM
There are several ways, and they depend on the sort of campaign you have going, as well as the location of your school. All of this assumes that people would be generally accepting of a magic school.

1. Contact local ruler; If you talk to the local ruler and explain what you are about and what you would like, the ruler may assign promising individuals in his court, as well as provide royal patronage, which may cause the local nobility to send their children to the school.

2. Traveling Merchants; by making them aware of the new school, they will carry word to other towns, sharing the knowledge about where the school is and building a general public knowledge of it, which may begin leading more people to slowly begin attending the school.

3. Recruiters; send people out to surrounding towns and villages to make presentations to the locals, actively seeking new students.

Nifft
2017-07-20, 03:35 PM
Burn down all the competing magic schools and animate the defeated corpses of the former faculty, who will eternally chant your school's name and address.

jas61292
2017-07-20, 03:52 PM
I suggest billboards.

JeffreyGator
2017-07-20, 03:57 PM
This is an odd question but assuming I'm a 10-11th level mage and I have an area for a school and some teachers (a Lich, a seer, a fallen angel, 2 wizards, one gish, and a cleric) how would I get the news out about my school and get students?

From a mechanical point of view, I would run this as a downtime business and base it off a guildhall or a large temple. Either way you need to work there 10+ days per month to not have it cost you money based on the roll system.

That's a lot of NPCs you've acquired or are those fellow characters?