PDA

View Full Version : Good non-combat wands

Naez
2017-07-20, 12:16 PM
I'm building a character for a Pathfinder only game, no 3.5 or 3.0, and have a ton of leftover gold from character creation. My character is a pretty straightforward beatstick but I had leftover skill points that I used to max UMD since I thought it could be useful. So what long duration buffs or useful utility wands could I use with this character so I can spend my out of combat time doing more than just standing around looking scary?

Hackulator
2017-07-20, 12:18 PM
I'm building a character for a Pathfinder only game, no 3.5 or 3.0, and have a ton of leftover gold from character creation. My character is a pretty straightforward beatstick but I had leftover skill points that I used to max UMD since I thought it could be useful. So what long duration buffs or useful utility wands could I use with this character so I can spend my out of combat time doing more than just standing around looking scary?

Fly (though you might consider that combat)
Detect Secret Doors
Invisibility
Stone Shape (this spell is AMAZING if used properly)

Also I don't understand how "disallowing evil alignment" can be a red flag for DMs but "evil alignment" is a red flag for players.

Naez
2017-07-20, 01:04 PM
Invisible hammers to the face do sound pretty fun. And would help with my stealthing. My Dex ain't so great.

Mordaedil
2017-07-21, 01:33 AM
Also I don't understand how "disallowing evil alignment" can be a red flag for DMs but "evil alignment" is a red flag for players.
What the...

Where did this even come from?

Eldariel
2017-07-21, 01:33 AM
Unseen Servant is quite convenient. Long duration, not hard to think of uses.

Summon Monster I for triggering traps and such.

Lots are useful if you just get a bit creative.

Castilonium
2017-07-21, 05:59 AM
Communal Mount (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mount/), AKA Wall of Horse :smallbiggrin:

zlefin
2017-07-21, 07:55 AM
a wand of cure light wounds is always handy to have around.
nothing else I can think of atm.

ngilop
2017-07-21, 08:29 AM
What the...

100% agree.

like I read the OP about 10 times thinking I just overlooked something...

Nupo
2017-07-21, 08:46 AM
Find Quarry

Allanimal
2017-07-21, 09:19 AM
My group has always found a wand, or at least a couple scrolls, of Speak With Animals to be handy.

Hackulator
2017-07-21, 11:43 AM
100% agree.

like I read the OP about 10 times thinking I just overlooked something...

What the...

From his signature.

Zanos
2017-07-21, 11:44 AM
Healing is always a good choice for wands. Lesser vigor is the usual pick.

From his signature.
That's better discussed in those particular threads.

Naez
2017-07-21, 12:18 PM
Speak with animals and speak with dead both seem like good candidates. I don't think Pathfinder has Lesser Vigor, but they do have infernal healing which is almost the same but evil. But the DM is using a subjective alignment system so I'll have to ask about that.

Gildedragon
2017-07-21, 12:26 PM
Rope Trick (with a boosted CL)
Knock (for emergencies)
Enhance Water

Elkad
2017-07-21, 01:46 PM
Rope Trick (with a boosted CL)

If you don't mind climbing from one rope to the next in the middle of the night, might as well buy the lower CL one.
Then you can use it for things that aren't 8-10 hour breaks without "wasting" gold.
Like using it as a 30' ladder. Or a place to duck for an hour while you fill empty spell slots or hide from a patrol

mistermysterio
2017-07-21, 01:49 PM
my group has always found a wand of message to have its uses. If the group splits up for whatever reason (or is even separated by a short distance), its good to be able to communicate

eldskald
2017-07-21, 06:44 PM
For out of combat, I love divination spells. Augury is a cheap wand and you might use it a lot. There is also locate creature, locate object and scrying, but they're very situational. As mentioned, message has it's uses too.

Coventry
2017-07-21, 09:34 PM
As others have said, start with the wand of Cure Light Wounds. Your cleric may need you.

If you have any risk of going on a desert or artic trip, Wand of Endure Elements is very nice to have.

For those big combats, a Wand of Divine Favor, heightened to Caster Level 9 (cost: 6750) gives you a minute of +3 luck to hit and damage. It may only be 10 rounds, but how many combats actually last that long? Don't waste the money if you are already getting a luck bonus on to hit and damage.

It's situational, but a Wand of Air Bubble is also worth considering. Fell in the water? Teleported to a plane of vacuum? Want to walk across the riverbed instead of paying the ferryman?