PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Arcane/Wizard Mark (D&D, multi-edition)

VoxRationis
2017-07-20, 02:05 PM
Just what the title says: why is it so important to leave a mark that a wizard would cast a spell (which in AD&D costs 100 gp worth of diamond dust) rather than just mark with some chalk or a knife?

Bebbit
2017-07-20, 02:39 PM
The description itself is why you would decide to use it instead of carving the mark, or using chalk or other type of writing utensil.

The writing can be visible or invisible. An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance without harm to the material upon which it is placed.

It lets you mark your valuables without a big ugly chalk mark that can wash off, or damaging the item.

oxybe
2017-07-20, 02:46 PM
chalk can be washed away, knife marks can be repaired/mended

Arcane mark, to me, is what you generally brand on stuff in case it gets stolen. In addition to being a prime Locate object identifier "pendant we have to deliver with my arcane mark on it" or "idol we found with my arcane mark on it". And if anyone has read magic "if found please return to Argyle, the mage who can burn down your house and turn your wife into a giant screaming millipede with a skull for a face, in Waterdeep's Soggy Selkie Inn" should be a giveaway that it belongs to.

In Pathfinder, my witch Nisha would use this as a "THIS PILE OF RUBBLE AND WASPS WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY NISHA. NISHA: BECAUSE HYPER-INTELLIGENT WASPS IS THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!" calling card.

She wasn't nice, but "wasps and dinosaurs" solved as many problems for her as they did, it felt wrong to not use them as her bread and butter problem solvers.

goto124
2017-07-20, 03:16 PM
And if anyone has read magic "if found please return to Argyle, the mage who can burn down your house and turn your wife into a giant screaming millipede with a skull for a face, in Waterdeep's Soggy Selkie Inn" should be a giveaway that it belongs to.

I think that goes beyond the 6 character limit :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2017-07-20, 04:28 PM
In 3.5, instant summons requires an arcane mark upon the item you wish to summon.

Reboot
2017-07-20, 04:36 PM

Depends on the writing system!

Aotrs Commander
2017-07-20, 05:11 PM
I think the one possible answer is "Gandalf sort of did it in the Hobbit to Bilbo's door" (like Hold Portal for same in LotR in Moria) and thus they came into the earlier (earliest?) editions of D&D (pretty sure Pyrotechnics had this root as well) and thus it became something of a legacy.

Anecdotally, I don't ever recall anyone actually casting any of those spells during my time with D&D (27 years or so), so the honest answer to the OT question might just be "very little" or maybe "fluff."

At best in the editions where some stuff might buld upon it (like the aforementioned summons), its use would be very situational.

Pex
2017-07-20, 05:59 PM
Useful for roleplay purposes. When a wizard is notable enough, the Mark takes on meaning. A line in a circle in a triangle, a snake coming out of the mouth of a skull, etc.

oxybe
2017-07-20, 07:13 PM

I dunno, do pictographs and stuff like japanese kanji count? because those are technically characters.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-07-20, 09:31 PM
Well, in most editions it always creates a 'unique personal sigil'.

That's the important part. It's like a signature. You can use it to verify documents but more than that, you can use it to verify your identity. No shapechange spell is going to let someone forge your arcane mark. That kind of thing is actually extremely useful in lots of situations, though admittedly not all of them come up adventuring.

1337 b4k4
2017-07-20, 10:29 PM
Medieval PGP message signing. No ruler dares to correspond without having each message signed and sealed by the royal wizard, and each incoming message's seals and signs verified by the same.

goto124
2017-07-20, 10:43 PM
100 GP per message though...

1337 b4k4
2017-07-20, 10:53 PM
When the fate of the kingdom rests on ensuring that communication is accurate and untampered, it's but a pittance. And if it can't be had easily, tax the local adventurers.

Haldir
2017-07-21, 01:19 AM
When the fate of the kingdom rests on ensuring that communication is accurate and untampered, it's but a pittance. And if it can't be had easily, tax the local adventurers.

The local adventurers hate chipping in for spell components. The Cleric already paid off his mortage with Raise Dead.

souridealist
2017-08-04, 07:51 PM
I think the 100gp per casting requirement got dropped pretty quickly - I know in Pathfinder the spell is a no-cost cantrip, which makes it a lot more useful.

Bogwoppit
2017-08-05, 05:01 AM
When I was running a nautical game, the Feather Token Anchor was used by elite bad guys to easily stop a ship in its tracks.
When their opponents just cast Detect Magic to find the token and throw it overboard, the bad guys cast Arcane Mark on a load of other objects and dumped them aboard to confuse that tactic.
The same sort of tactic is employed in one of the classic AD&D modules in a lich's lair - everything is covered in magical auras, so the real traps and treasures are hidden.

GungHo
2017-08-07, 12:51 PM
I think the 100gp per casting requirement got dropped pretty quickly - I know in Pathfinder the spell is a no-cost cantrip, which makes it a lot more useful.

Yeah, ain't nobody got time for that. The only characters who paid 100gp for that stuff had players who were very poor negotiators. There are some spells which really should have a precious materials cost to balance them out, but no one cares about your name on your underoos.

goto124
2017-08-08, 05:35 AM
but no one cares about your name on your underoos.

Now that's an interesting use of Arcane Mark...

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-08, 09:35 PM
I mean, Wizards are already putting down a hundred gold per page when writing spells into their magic tomes. I don't think they really care about spending a few hundred more here and there. Besides, they're all assumed to be eccentric, ego-maniacal book-worms with poor hygiene and the ability to reshape the universe at a whim. OF COURSE they go a bit over the top when it comes to marking their territory.

As John Hammond would say, they'd "spare no expense." :smallbiggrin:

Âmesang
2017-08-11, 10:20 PM
I love arcane mark (or, really, any kind of purely "flavor" spell), so I'm thankful 3e made it a free cantrip and Pathfinder followed suit; I just find that, as the mage adventures and grows in both power and prestige that it becomes rather fun to have a "personal rune" to identify the character with—not as glorious as inventing brand-new spells named after said mage, but it at least lets the world know that this spell-slinger is more than ordinary.

I also find EBERRON'S® concept of the "arcane signet ring" to be an amusing trinket.

Jay R
2017-08-13, 11:22 PM
It gives a magical aura to a non-magical object.

My gnome illusionist has just put an invisible one on one of the gemstones the party found. I'm waiting for the other caster in the party to Detect Magic on the loot. This is just a gnomish prank.

Also, he has put invisible marks on a dagger on his belt, and an easily reachable, carefully polished and decorated wand-like stick, so that these two valueless items are the most likely objects for a thief to steal.