PDA

View Full Version : Fighting style: thrown

Desteplo
2017-07-20, 02:09 PM
Does this need more? I feel like there's 1 thing missing.

Changes range of thrown to 60/80, can be drawn as ammunition

mephnick
2017-07-20, 02:18 PM
I just copied crossbow expert's no disadvantage at range and added "draw as ammunition" instead of ignoring reloading and limited it to light weapons. I don't think people should be running around throwing knives 60ft. Maybe up it by 10 ft.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 02:26 PM
How about this: weapons that cannot normally be thrown gain a thrown range of 15/30.

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-20, 02:33 PM
From Matt Mercer's new campaign guide this is a feat but isn't bad for inspiration

Thrown Arms Master
You’ve honed your ability to lob weaponry into the fray,
including weapons not meant for ranged combat. You gain
the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a
maximum of 20.
• Simple and martial melee weapons without the thrown
property can be treated as if they have the thrown
property. One-handed weapons have a range of 20/60,
while two-handed weapons have a range of 15/30.
• Weapons that naturally have the thrown property
increase their range by +20/+40.
• When you miss with a thrown weapon attack using
a light weapon, the weapon immediately boomerangs
back into your grasp.

Rebonack
2017-07-20, 02:46 PM
Compare it to the Archery fighting style and keep in mind that the base mechanic is already inferior to ranged weapons even before that +2tohit is taken into account. Thus, the fighting style shouldn't simply bring it up to par with a styleless longbow user, it should be adding some additional befit on top of that.

Start with doubling the range increments and allowing them to be drawn as if they were ammunition. Then ask yourself what the unique niche/strengths of thrown weapons are. Add a third feature that plays to that and distinguishes them from a longbow user. I would lean toward throwing a million knives to separate it from your typical longbow user packing Sharpshooter nuking down single targets.

Paeleus
2017-07-20, 02:59 PM
How bout, if only a dagger is thrown, you get to toss another dagger at the same enemy or an adjacent enemy once on your turn?

CursedRhubarb
2017-07-20, 03:08 PM
From Matt Mercer's new campaign guide this is a feat but isn't bad for inspiration

Thrown Arms Master
the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a
maximum of 20.
• Weapons that naturally have the thrown property
increase their range by +20/+40.
back into your grasp.

This combined with Tavern Brawler sounds like it would be amazing and fun to try.

Spellbreaker26
2017-07-20, 03:12 PM
I will say it sounds a bit ridiculous for a guy to be able to chuck large bags of longswords around for 20 feet.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 03:25 PM
I will say it sounds a bit ridiculous for a guy to be able to chuck large bags of longswords around for 20 feet.

Barbarians can survive falls from orbit.

I like the boomerang feature above. Perhaps a good idea would be to combine part of Tavern Brawler with the thrown fighting style.

You can throw anything as if it were a throwing weapon, provided you can lift it and it's smaller than huge. Damage based on size, 1D4 minimum to 1D12 maximum. Range varies with size, 80 for tiny down to 20 for large. Creatures hit with an object larger than them must make a strength save vs your strength DC or fall prone.

StoicLeaf
2017-07-20, 03:43 PM
Fighting Style: Throwing your life away

Let's face it, you have a death wish.

Spellbreaker26
2017-07-20, 07:01 PM
Barbarians can survive falls from orbit.

I like the boomerang feature above. Perhaps a good idea would be to combine part of Tavern Brawler with the thrown fighting style.

You can throw anything as if it were a throwing weapon, provided you can lift it and it's smaller than huge. Damage based on size, 1D4 minimum to 1D12 maximum. Range varies with size, 80 for tiny down to 20 for large. Creatures hit with an object larger than them must make a strength save vs your strength DC or fall prone.

Then it should be a 1d4 damage random object. Because throwing a weapon not balanced for throwing won't get you very far. Yes, Barbarians can survive very large drops - but how often does that happen? Wheras this feat is open to all sorts of abuse and, quite frankly, stupidity.

BigKaiju
2017-07-20, 08:09 PM
I'd like to maybe toss in something like "all thrown weapons gain 'versatile' " or "drawing a thrown weapon does not count as your free action".

I just have this vision of an acrobatic dex-fighter with a quiver full of javelins, a la Lady Jaye. Range doesn't seem to be a big problem to me once the fighting actually starts. Maybe drop the disadvantage at long range, just like Sharpshooter.

EDIT: above, I meant 'finesse' and not 'versatile'. Long day.

Jophiel
2017-07-20, 08:17 PM

I would use this to throw whips at people, just to be dumb.

CircuitEngie
2017-07-20, 08:20 PM
Fighting Style: Thrown weapon fighting
Double the short range of all weapons with the thrown property, this cannot exceed the long range of the weapon. In addition, when you throw a light weapon with the thrown property as part of an attack, you may draw another light weapon with the thrown property as part of the same action.

Feat: Thrown weapon mastery
* You are proficient with improvised thrown weapons, and such weapons have a range of 20/60. Such weapons deal 1d4+STR bludgeoning damage on hit even if there are additional effects, such as alchemist fire.
* You ignore the cover granted by creatures against the targets of your thrown weapon attacks.
* Your thrown weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

Somewhere in my thrown weapon wish list is a remake of the Hulking Hurler fighter or barbarian, and a shuriken master monk or rogue.

Vulsutyr
2017-07-20, 09:42 PM
Usually 5e avoids granting improved critical ranges for individual weapons or with feats.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-20, 09:47 PM

Agreed. I think Mercer is a good DM from what I have seen. His brew seems to me like overcompensation for players that struggle with character building, mechanics, and tactics duct taped to stuff from other editions. The comedic/light aspects of Critical role are entertaining but the fights are hard for me to watch.

Give a Battlemaster a Gun and tweak a feat. Boom, Gunslinger....

Talionis
2017-07-20, 10:22 PM
I think you maybe contemplating two separate feats. One seems like a hulking hyper feat allowing you to throw all types of weapons. Let's not forget you can throw and use Strength if Want. That one doesn't need a reload so much as maybe you can only attack once per turn with heavy throwing but it can bounce to do half damage to next person.

You also need a small thrown weapon feat that allows clear you can load multiple weapons per turn.

Haldir
2017-07-20, 11:40 PM
Just change their weapon type to ranged. Functions as a bow for all feats and abilities. Keep range and damage the same.

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 12:58 AM
Does the sharpshooter feat return your arrows? Boomeranging Greatswords that return to your hand. Ridiculous.

How about mimicking the archer fighting style with 3 or 4 properties from below;
+2 to hit with thrown weapons, add DEX or STR bonus to damage (your choice) to one hit,
remove the disadvantage penalty for long range,
you can -5 to hit/+10 damage,
once per SR you can throw 2 light or thrown weapons in a single action.
1 handed weapons without the light or thrown property can be thrown, range 20/30 without a penalty as mêlée
2 handed weapons without the light or thrown property can be thrown, range 10/15 without a penalty as mêlée

This feat does not replicate the magical properties of Aegis Fang, no boomerang action please.

xroads
2017-07-21, 08:42 AM

Thrown Arms Master
the following benefits:
back into your grasp.

For some reason I'm not partial to that last one. I know this is a fantasy setting, but a boomeranging club (for example), just seems silly to me. What about...

You can now treat any object you can pick up in one hand as a thrown weapon. The damage for these improv weapons is 1d8(?) & and they have a range of 20/60.

This would provide players with ample ammo and allow for some fun scene chewing scenes.

DM: "An orc is charging you!"
Player: "I throw a candelabra from the table at him!" /sounds of rolling... "Critical hit with max damage!"
DM: "You've impaled the orc in the head with the candelabra!"

Joe the Rat
2017-07-21, 08:53 AM
There's a lot of good pieces floating around. What's best as a fighting style?
Each of the existing fighting styles adds something specific that improves its mode, and is also distinct from and adds to associated feats. Each (save the UA styles *cough cough*) has a single function.
Defense: more defense
Protection: save your buddy
Archery: A bonus that covers the AC bonus for shooting-into-melee cover
Dueling: more damage one-handed
Two-weapon: makes your BA attack a real attack
great weapon: Damage from swinging a big thing is less Swingy

So what is one (maybe two) tricks that would be most useful for the thrown weapon niche? What is the thrown weapon niche?
It's a switch-hitter. With the exception of the dart, every thrown weapon can be used in melee. You can stab an orc in the eye with your javelin, then throw the javelin (and the eye) at his buddy. What could help that in two or fewer features?

My favorite for simplicity is being able to draw thrown weapons as ammo - or "you may draw a weapon with the thrown property as part of an attack" overcomes the first major drawback, and the one that most applies to classes with access to fighting styles - limited rate-of-fire. Do not make this a finesse-only trait - you should have solid support for Str or Dex throw - and I am on the fence about light vs. one-handed: You picture flurry of daggers, I see a barrage of javelins. It does not step on the toes of dual wielding, as it's a one-at-a-time-per-attack, must be a thrown weapon option.

Another angle would be to capitalize on the dual-role, by allowing a thrown weapon to count as a ranged AND a melee weapon (and associated wordings [I]X weapon attack, attack with an X weapon, etc.) This opens smiting with javelins (which I think is good), and crit-drop bonus attacks from GWM (which might be hinkey), and possibly allowing sharpshooter to work (AFB at the moment, so I'm not sure if Sharpshooter said ranged, or specified bows for some asinine reason).

I love the idea of throw anything, but I think Tavern Brawler does that, unless it specifies "improvised melee."

Wheras this feat is open to all sorts of abuse and, quite frankly, stupidity.Pretty much. It says so right on the label.

From Matt Mercer's new campaign guide

N810
2017-07-21, 09:50 AM
maybe something like:

you can use a free action to draw a weapon.
you may use improvised weapons as thrown weapons.

You are proficient with all weapons with a thrown property
and you may add your dex bonus to your attack roll
you may also add you strength bonus to you damage.

Vogie
2017-07-21, 10:26 AM
Having ANY light weapons boomerang back seems a bit absurd.

However, having the Thrown weapon style have the ability to:
a) Throw anything
b) Throw things that are made to be thrown really, really well
c) Have a single, specific weapon (or style of weapon) that can be reused for when they miss

Seems reasonable.

Yes, Chucky McThrowerson can impale someone with a candelabra, but if they miss, they've just thrown the candelabra.

But when Chucky uses his/her specific chakram/glaive/dagger/club, and misses, that one can boomerang back.

You can have it listed as a subtype of the fighting style

Fighting Style: Thrown (Daggers)

or have it be a certain type of attunement process, so the player can adjust what they want to be throwing over the course of the game.

That doesn't mean that your player won't decide to play the Blue Raja from Mystery Men and have boomerang silverware as their primary weapon... because someone totally will.

Diakos
2017-07-21, 11:05 AM
I could see it as a revival of 4ed's Marauder Fighting style, where you'd throw a weapon and if it hit charge it's target, or drop a target in melee and throw a fan of knives.

N810
2017-07-21, 11:12 AM
maybe something like:

you may also add you strength bonus to you damage.

oh maybe add that you could have a multi attack where you just thro fistfuls of projectiles.

ONCE PER TURN:
you may throw up to three weapons if their individual base damage die are less than d6:
roll your attack dice separately, but also with disadvantage.

Desteplo
2017-07-21, 11:12 AM
There's a lot of good pieces floating around. What's best as a fighting style?
Each of the existing fighting styles adds something specific that improves its mode, and is also distinct from and adds to associated feats. Each (save the UA styles *cough cough*) has a single function.
Defense: more defense
Protection: save your buddy
Archery: A bonus that covers the AC bonus for shooting-into-melee cover
Dueling: more damage one-handed
Two-weapon: makes your BA attack a real attack
great weapon: Damage from swinging a big thing is less Swingy

So what is one (maybe two) tricks that would be most useful for the thrown weapon niche? What is the thrown weapon niche?
It's a switch-hitter. With the exception of the dart, every thrown weapon can be used in melee. You can stab an orc in the eye with your javelin, then throw the javelin (and the eye) at his buddy. What could help that in two or fewer features?

My favorite for simplicity is being able to draw thrown weapons as ammo - or "you may draw a weapon with the thrown property as part of an attack" overcomes the first major drawback, and the one that most applies to classes with access to fighting styles - limited rate-of-fire. Do not make this a finesse-only trait - you should have solid support for Str or Dex throw - and I am on the fence about light vs. one-handed: You picture flurry of daggers, I see a barrage of javelins. It does not step on the toes of dual wielding, as it's a one-at-a-time-per-attack, must be a thrown weapon option.

Another angle would be to capitalize on the dual-role, by allowing a thrown weapon to count as a ranged AND a melee weapon (and associated wordings [I]X weapon attack, attack with an X weapon, etc.) This opens smiting with javelins (which I think is good), and crit-drop bonus attacks from GWM (which might be hinkey), and possibly allowing sharpshooter to work (AFB at the moment, so I'm not sure if Sharpshooter said ranged, or specified bows for some asinine reason).

I love the idea of throw anything, but I think Tavern Brawler does that, unless it specifies "improvised melee."

Pretty much. It says so right on the label.

Yes, winner.

Rebonack
2017-07-21, 11:40 AM
After pondering it a bit-

Throwing Style: You treat any weapon with the Thrown property as Ammunition for the purpose of drawing it. Additionally, when you make a melee attack on your turn with a weapon that has the Thrown property you may immediately make a thrown weapon attack at a different target within range.

This gives thrown weapons a niche distinct from other fighting styles (targeting more dudes) that also plays to their unique feature (both a melee and ranged attack).

Then just toss in a Thrown Weapon Master feat and you're pretty much golden.

Thrown Weapon Master: You have mastered thrown weapons and can perform incredible feats with them. You gain the following benefits.
-Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
-Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
-You may choose to take a -2 penalty on a thrown weapon attack roll. If you do, you may target two creatures with that attack by throwing two weapons simultaneously. Both attacks are resolved with the same attack roll and both creatures must be within 15 feet of each other.

Unique niche?

AoE damage fighting style.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-21, 11:59 AM

Throwing Style: You treat any weapon with the Thrown property as Ammunition for the purpose of drawing it. Additionally, when you make a melee attack with a weapon that has the Thrown property you may immediately make a thrown weapon attack at a target within range.

Obviously you would be at disadvantage to toss the javelin into someone's face after stabbing them with it, but tossing it at some OTHER target would work just fine. This gives thrown weapons a niche distinct from other fighting styles (targeting more dudes) that also plays to their unique feature (both a melee and ranged attack).

Thrown Weapon Master: You have mastered thrown weapons and can perform incredible feats with them. You gain the following benefits.
-Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
-You may choose to take a -2 penalty on a thrown weapon attack roll. If you do, you may target two creatures with that attack by throwing two weapons simultaneously. Both attacks are resolved with the same attack roll and both creatures must be within 15 feet of each other.

Unique niche?

In other words, for every one attack a fighter would normally make he instead makes up to three? I have a feeling that may be OP.

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 12:16 PM
In other words, for every one attack a fighter would normally make he instead makes up to three? I have a feeling that may be OP.

Yes, this is headed for the homebrew OP bin.
Improvised weapons are 1d4 damage, already specified, and using weapons in a way not specified makes them improvised for sure.
Items returning to your hand is a prime feature of a couple nice magic weapons
Unlimited multi-attack is OP.

I provided a few ideas earlier in the thread which I thought were on par with the sharpshooter feat. Improvised weapons would be 1d4 plus STR or DEX and potentially +10. You don't have to draw a weapon to throw and potentially, rarely obtain an additional action.

How about mimicking the archer fighting style with 3 or 4 properties from below;
+2 to hit with thrown weapons, add DEX or STR bonus to damage (your choice) to one hit,
remove the disadvantage penalty for long range,
you can -5 to hit/+10 damage,
once per SR you can throw 2 light or thrown weapons in a single action.
1 handed weapons without the light or thrown property can be thrown, range 20/30 without a penalty as mêlée
2 handed weapons without the light or thrown property can be thrown, range 10/15 without a penalty as mêlée

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 12:21 PM

Throwing Style: You treat any weapon with the Thrown property as Ammunition for the purpose of drawing it. Additionally, when you make a melee attack with a weapon that has the Thrown property you may immediately make a thrown weapon attack at a target within range.

Obviously you would be at disadvantage to toss the javelin into someone's face after stabbing them with it, but tossing it at some OTHER target would work just fine. This gives thrown weapons a niche distinct from other fighting styles (targeting more dudes) that also plays to their unique feature (both a melee and ranged attack).

Unique niche?

This is also well reasoned. In general I'm not a fan of needing 2 feats to accomplish something since ASIs are so rare and valuable.

Rebonack
2017-07-21, 01:07 PM

Against three separate targets. Three attacks against one guy would be pretty silly. We're dealing with AoE damage at this point. And there are times when AoE damage isn't going to be helping you at all. Case in point, compare how a Throwing Fighter with Thrown Mastery stacks up against an Archery Fighter with Sharpshooter. The Throwing Fighter is going to be amazing against large groups of mooks. Not as amazing as a good old fashioned Fireball, but still pretty great. But if you're fighting one big tough foe? The Archery Fighter is going to have him beat in spades.

Though against one guy even a second attack at disadvantage is a big boon. I'll just specify that the throw has to be at a separate target.

This is also well reasoned. In general I'm not a fan of needing 2 feats to accomplish something since ASIs are so rare and valuable.

The Throwing Style is a fighting style, not a feat. I figure the general pattern we find (Fighting Style + Fighting Style Feat to augment it if you feel so inclined) works pretty well.

Rhynear
2017-07-21, 01:26 PM

Throwing Style: You treat any weapon with the Thrown property as Ammunition for the purpose of drawing it. Additionally, when you make a melee attack with a weapon that has the Thrown property you may immediately make a thrown weapon attack at a different target within range.

This gives thrown weapons a niche distinct from other fighting styles (targeting more dudes) that also plays to their unique feature (both a melee and ranged attack).

Unique niche?

This is very strong, this allows a 20th level fighter to attack 15 times against 3 plus enemies with a possible 3 reaction attacks as well. It's way more powerful than anything else in the game, including the often hated GWM and SS feats. Even the fighting style on its own is broken as it doubles the number of attacks a character can make and also is still available with 2 weapon fighter so a level 1 fighter can have 4 attacks a round.

This is even more broken than the Tunnel Fighter fighting style that allows unlimited reaction attacks as that comes up way less often and if your DM wants to counter it he just makes you fight in a field.

Rebonack
2017-07-21, 01:32 PM
This is very strong, this allows a 20th level fighter to attack 15 times against 3 plus enemies with a possible 3 reaction attacks as well. It's way more powerful than anything else in the game, including the often hated GWM and SS feats. Even the fighting style on its own is broken as it doubles the number of attacks a character can make and also is still available with 2 weapon fighter so a level 1 fighter can have 4 attacks a round.

This is even more broken than the Tunnel Fighter fighting style that allows unlimited reaction attacks as that comes up way less often and if your DM wants to counter it he just makes you fight in a field.

Good point on the TWF and Reaction.

Adding 'When you make a melee attack as part of an attack action' to the wording.

Tanarii
2017-07-21, 02:28 PM
It's not perfect, but you can use both the Dueling Style and Two Weapon Fighting styles with thrown weapons. The biggest problem is for Fighters that want to throw more than two weapons, or do it more than one round, or have a weapon in hand after throwing the second weapon in the first round. More useful as an opening attack by Str-based melee types before drawing your normal weapon.

Wulfnor
2017-07-21, 03:08 PM
I think it is pretty good myself, not off balancing at all. Keep up the great work.

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 03:12 PM
The Throwing Style is a fighting style, not a feat. I figure the general pattern we find (Fighting Style + Fighting Style Feat to augment it if you feel so inclined) works pretty well.

Didn't catch that, thanks. Makes it very effective in my opinion. Great work.

Rebonack
2017-07-21, 05:10 PM
After running some numbers on my suggested fighting style/feat homebrew I found that a Great Weapon Fighter power attacking is going to be dealing slightly more damage than the Throwing Fighter will get split-throwing. If the Great Weapon Fighter manages to drop someone (or crit) then he'll being dealing significantly more damage per round without the (potential) drawback of having to split that damage between three different targets. On the upside, the Throwing Fighter would be able to use a shield and attacks with a higher ToHit than the Great Weapon Fighter does.

And to that end, I think allowing it to trigger off Two Weapon Fighting would be alright. You're not getting +Mod to the additional damage, you're restricted to daggers, and you're giving up a shield to do it. Slightly more damage per round when weighed against -2 armor class feels like a pretty reasonable trade-off to me. If you ran Champion you could pick up TWF and the Throwing style for crazy dagger bullet-hell action, but then you would have to be a Champion.

I will admit, though, that if you aren't allowing Feats the Throwing fighting style is pretty strong. Probably not game unbalancing strong, though, since it still clocks in behind Great Weapon Master.

Lots of attacks, yes. But those attacks don't hit that hard comparatively speaking.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-07-21, 09:52 PM
End him rightly: as a bonus action you can unscrew the pommel of your weapon and make a ranged attack. On a hit the target makes a Charisma save vs. your strength or dexterity or suffer from the stunned condition and take 3D8 psychic damage.

Desteplo
2017-07-21, 10:32 PM
After running some numbers on my suggested fighting style/feat homebrew I found that a Great Weapon Fighter power attacking is going to be dealing slightly more damage than the Throwing Fighter will get split-throwing. If the Great Weapon Fighter manages to drop someone (or crit) then he'll being dealing significantly more damage per round without the (potential) drawback of having to split that damage between three different targets. On the upside, the Throwing Fighter would be able to use a shield and attacks with a higher ToHit than the Great Weapon Fighter does.

And to that end, I think allowing it to trigger off Two Weapon Fighting would be alright. You're not getting +Mod to the additional damage, you're restricted to daggers, and you're giving up a shield to do it. Slightly more damage per round when weighed against -2 armor class feels like a pretty reasonable trade-off to me. If you ran Champion you could pick up TWF and the Throwing style for crazy dagger bullet-hell action, but then you would have to be a Champion.

I will admit, though, that if you aren't allowing Feats the Throwing fighting style is pretty strong. Probably not game unbalancing strong, though, since it still clocks in behind Great Weapon Master.

Lots of attacks, yes. But those attacks don't hit that hard comparatively speaking.

Throwing a spear two handed becomes much stronger than GWF (you get str mod twice)
-it also copies a class feature off rangers

Rebonack
2017-07-22, 02:52 AM
Throwing a spear two handed becomes much stronger than GWF (you get str mod twice)

Comparing ONLY the Fighting style at low levels? Yes. It's a difference of about three damage, but all that damage is spread between two targets. It's a case similar to Two Weapon Fighter. In a vacuum at level one without feats being taken into account it IS in fact stronger than a Great Weapon Fighter. But as soon as feats come into play that ceases to be the case. Once feats kick in everything changes.

And can you even throw a weapon two-handed? The only thing I can think of that can really be thrown two-handed is one of those hammer-toss balls. Which would make a pretty cool weapon, all things considered. Would the extra two damage be worth giving up a shield? Probably not, but who am I to judge. I'm suggesting a fighting style that does the opposite of the best tactic in D&D. Focus-firing things down.

-it also copies a class feature off rangers

Hardly. The Ranger equivalent is compatible with stronger weapons and the Sharpshooter feat. They're similar features. The main focus here is on Fighters and giving the Thrown style a useful niche. AoE damage does that pretty well.

XmonkTad
2017-07-22, 12:16 PM
I really like the idea of a thrown weapon style increasing the utility of throwing weapons, and there are a lot of good ideas in the thread already. I suggest an "embedding" mechanic where any weapon you throw can embed itself in the target and do 1d4+stat damage to the creature when pulled out unless they make a save of some kind. This would allow a fighter to throw a javelin, run up to the target, pull out the javelin and then stab them with the same javelin again.

The actual damage might need to be lower to make it more on par with dueling and such. But I hope that giving it a save and having it be difficult to trigger more than once per round would balance it out.

Desteplo
2017-07-22, 12:17 PM
Comparing ONLY the Fighting style at low levels? Yes. It's a difference of about three damage, but all that damage is spread between two targets. It's a case similar to Two Weapon Fighter. In a vacuum at level one without feats being taken into account it IS in fact stronger than a Great Weapon Fighter. But as soon as feats come into play that ceases to be the case. Once feats kick in everything changes.

And can you even throw a weapon two-handed? The only thing I can think of that can really be thrown two-handed is one of those hammer-toss balls. Which would make a pretty cool weapon, all things considered. Would the extra two damage be worth giving up a shield? Probably not, but who am I to judge. I'm suggesting a fighting style that does the opposite of the best tactic in D&D. Focus-firing things down.

Hardly. The Ranger equivalent is compatible with stronger weapons and the Sharpshooter feat. They're similar features. The main focus here is on Fighters and giving the Thrown style a useful niche. AoE damage does that pretty well.

Aoe is also arguably stronger than single target damage
-well, what if I chose hunter? I couldn't take both thrown and that feature. In a mechanical sense, just take 3 lvls ranger
-also if it's magical thrown that adds to damage and then causes more damage than even the feat. So no it's not balanced. There's a reason why hunter feature is once a turn

-spears and tridents are versatile and don't lose the thrown property. D8 thrown

-it's also not all about damage. Archery applies to accuracy
-defense adds AC

Thrown is better suited with its versatility. Because a handaxe is both a deadly ranged and melee weapon.
-comparing duelist with that ability, that ability is WAY more than a +2

-talking daggers? Sure. Talking d8 thrown javelins? Nonono

Desteplo
2017-07-22, 12:25 PM
Ammunition is the ribbon needed to apply them as a fighting style, but they need a combat advantage equivalent.
-which can be done by "when thrown they are considered a ranged weapon attack"

-that lets sharpshooter apply to them
-otherwise we'd have to choose another way and potentially make a feat
-even then, a strength user could be throwing javelins for sneak attack. So not thematically appropriate either

-but this is just a fighting style thread. Let's stick to low impact additions.
-throwing scale from d4,d6 and two handed as a d8
-let's stick to that balance considering they are both melee and ranged weapons

Desteplo
2017-07-22, 02:05 PM
A +1 to hit might solve all problems, with the ammunition clause as well

N810
2017-07-25, 09:25 AM

you may also add you strength bonus to your damage.

ONCE PER TURN:
you may throw up to three weapons if their individual base damage die are less than d6:
roll your attack dice separately, but also with disadvantage.

My solution kinda covers this....

Edit: forgot the other part.

Desteplo
2017-07-25, 10:06 AM
My solution kinda covers this....

Attacking at disadvantage doesn't solve anything.. it's a fighting style, it's a bonus

-+1 adds to melee and ranged thrown weapons
-represents versatility

Adding a multiattack that will usually result in 3 misses is rediculous. And again tries to copy a ranger ability.

This would completely negate fighters from being thrown users
-it's not all about daggers
-it needs to incoperate all thrown
-if there WAS a feat it would add an extra bonus attack throw and increase attack range with potentially the power attack but not all types of attacks need it either
-in this case could be a support feat along the lines of shield master/sentinel
-allowing a ranged reaction and potentially an advantage for other(s)

Easy_Lee
2017-07-25, 10:09 AM
End him rightly: as a bonus action you can unscrew the pommel of your weapon and make a ranged attack. On a hit the target makes a Charisma save vs. your strength or dexterity or suffer from the stunned condition and take 3D8 psychic damage.

Hah, I get it. In a situation where two full-plated knights are doing battle, the pommel of a sword is more dangerous than the blade. I think that pommel throwing tactic was a medieval joke.

I think the best niche for thrown weapons is versatility. Tavern Brawler is currently the most interesting way to build a thrower. A throwing fighting style ought work well with both improvised and traditional throwing weapons.

Here's an idea:
Fighting Style: Master Thrower

Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
You increase the die for all thrown weapon damage rolls you make by two, to a maximum of 1D12. For example, a thrown dagger deals 1D8 piercing damage instead of 1D4.

Note: this is the same damage increase as Dueling, but it also benefits from crits, meaning a Champion, Barbarian, or Assassin Rogue would gain proportionate benefit.

Desteplo
2017-07-25, 10:33 AM
Hah, I get it. In a situation where two full-plated knights are doing battle, the pommel of a sword is more dangerous than the blade. I think that pommel throwing tactic was a medieval joke.

I think the best niche for thrown weapons is versatility. Tavern Brawler is currently the most interesting way to build a thrower. A throwing fighting style ought work well with both improvised and traditional throwing weapons.

Here's an idea:
Fighting Style: Master Thrower

Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
You increase the die for all thrown weapon damage rolls you make by two, to a maximum of 1D12. For example, a thrown dagger deals 1D8 piercing damage instead of 1D4.

Note: this is the same damage increase as Dueling, but it also benefits from crits, meaning a Champion, Barbarian, or Assassin Rogue would gain proportionate benefit.

I think that'd be more reserved for a feat with those effects. With one other ability.

Azgeroth
2017-07-25, 10:37 AM
Fighting Style : thrower

when you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you add +1 to the attack roll and damage roll, additionally when you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon you may draw one thrown weapon as a free action provided you are not prone, restrained, or grappled.

so +1 attack, +1 damage, always keep weapons in your hands unless your movement is impaired.

not restricted to daggers, covers all throwing, technically per rules you can already draw/stow one weapon on your turn, allowing some one to pull and throw a weapon for as many attacks as they have i dont think is game breaking. nice balance between +2 attack with ranged, or +2 damage with one handed weapons.

FEAT, Throwing Weapon Expert

your speed and accuracy with thrown weapons is unmatched, you ignore half and three quarters cover and attacking at long range does not impose disadvantage on the attack.
additionally you may forgo one of your attacks, or use a bonus action, waiting for the perfect moment to strike, adding +5 to the damage.
alternatively you can choose to make one ranged attack with a thrown weapon at disadvantage and make one additional attack with a thrown weapon also at disadvantage provided you have one in reach, you can only use either of these features once per turn.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-25, 10:41 AM
Alright, simple version.

Thrower fighting style: You add +1 to your attack and damage rolls made with thrown weapons. When making a thrown weapon attack, you may draw the weapon as part of the attack.

Everything else related to throwing weapons is covered by Tavern Brawler and Sharpshooter.