PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Please Help create a character with loads of movement who can work in melee range.

Edgerunner
2017-07-20, 03:49 PM
No Homebrew but everything else is an option including UA.

I want to create a PC that has a ton of Movement and is a melee character. Movement is key and doesn't need to put out a bunch of damage. Just looking for an option that allows me to move around the battlefield without worrying about AoO.
I am thinking Tabaxi Shadow Monk but would appreciate any Ideas or suggestions you may have.

Specter
2017-07-20, 03:55 PM
Personally I'd go Wood Elf Monk with Mobile. If you can afford it, take some Druid (Coast) levels, so you can get Mirror Image and Misty Step, both solid for what you want.

Iamcreative
2017-07-20, 04:18 PM
You could also think about some (3 levels at least) swashbuckler. Especially with flurry of blows, lots of attacks means lots of enemies who cant AoO you as you run around.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 04:34 PM
Unsure how you plan to use the character. That said, tabaxi monk with mobile ought be plenty.

Base: 70 (tabaxi 30 +30 monk 18 +10 Mobile)
Dash with action + step of the wind dash = 210
Tabaxi Feline Agility doubles that to 420.

Take two levels of fighter to action surge and dash again. Add longstrider and haste to make this stupid. Find boots of speed for ludicrous speeds.

With longstrider, haste, and action surge.
Base: 80 (longstrider adds 10)
Three dashes: 320
Feline Agility: x2
Boots of speed: x2
Haste: x2

Total = 2560 feet in a round. This is Mach 2, twice the speed of sound.

I have no idea why you'd ever need to go that fast.

LordNibbler
2017-07-20, 04:35 PM
Wood elf monk with mobile feat and boots of speed. Hit everything with flurry of blows. Nothing gets an AO as you leave.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-20, 05:06 PM
Tabaxi Monk with 3 levels of swashbuckler. Maybe check out the Drunken monk so you can use disengage and flurry ever time witha +10 to movement speed. See if you can fit a level of mystic too and grab some nomad or celerity options.

Hrmmmmm

Tabaxi Shadowmonk 6/ Swashbuckler 3/ Nomad 3.
Starting stats will end up: 8/16/14/13/14/9
For nomad pick up the disciplines: Nomadic Step and Nomadic Chameleon, also pick up Mastery of force and either Master of light and Darkness or celerity or maybe brute force for damage, or Air for more cool movement options, some AOE and a blur kind of effect. For talents grab whatever you want.

I'd recommend spending the ASI on stats, though mobile would be really good for the extra speed. Finish the build with monk levels and you should be Speedy Gonzales with some awesome teleporting to boot.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-20, 05:16 PM
Unsure how you plan to use the character. That said, tabaxi monk with mobile ought be plenty.

Take two levels of fighter to action surge and dash again. Add longstrider and haste to make this stupid. Find boots of speed for ludicrous speeds.

not sure about Mach 2, you forget that feet/round is not feet/second. round is 6 seconds. IT IS however over 200 mph

The Ship's dog
2017-07-20, 05:59 PM
On a completely different note, you could try a Wood Elf Tempest Cleric X/Storm Sorcerer 2. You get to fly 10ft without provoking OAs with a bonus action after using a spell slot with Storm Sorcerer features, which makes you super mobile. You can even go 4 levels into Sorc for Metamagic. You can pick up the Mobile Feat and even MC into Monk if you really want to as you'll be building a Dex based Tempest Cleric. I currently play this combo (except with a Half-Elf) and it is super fun. It works well in melted range as you have good AC with medium armour and a shield, your Metamagic can make for some great combos with Twinning buffs as well as Quickening BBs or GFBs. Now sure, it isn't going to be nearly as fast as any of the Monk combos, but it is certainly one of the most mobile full caster options as well as having the added benefit of being just as good in melee skewering people on your rapier as it is in the back line throwing maxed out thunder or lightning spells.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-07-20, 06:04 PM
No Homebrew but everything else is an option including UA.

I want to create a PC that has a ton of Movement and is a melee character. Movement is key and doesn't need to put out a bunch of damage. Just looking for an option that allows me to move around the battlefield without worrying about AoO.
I am thinking Tabaxi Shadow Monk but would appreciate any Ideas or suggestions you may have.

Even a non-tabaxi/wood-elf monk with mobile has tons of movement (relative to the size of most battlefields. One of the players in my group is a variant dragonborn* monk with mobile--she zips across the battlefield and is really hard to pin down even when she forgets she can use a ki point to dash as a bonus action (she's new).

*I allowed her to switch the +2 STR for +2 DEX, since dragonborn are underwhelming otherwise.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-20, 07:55 PM
not sure about Mach 2, you forget that feet/round is not feet/second. round is 6 seconds. IT IS however over 200 mph

Whoops, forgot a round was six seconds and not one. But yes, it's excessively fast. Like I said, I've no idea why anyone would need to move that fast.

sightlessrealit
2017-07-20, 09:58 PM

Another option is to try & fit 5 levels of Mystic into the mix. With Celerity, Bestial Transformation, & Mastery of Air as your means of movement boosting. Bestial Transformation for a fly speed = to your walking speed, Celerity for +10 speed from Focus, & either Air or Celerity for speed pumping.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-20, 10:01 PM
Another option is to try & fit 5 levels of Mystic into the mix. With Celerity, Bestial Transformation, & Mastery of Air as your means of movement boosting. Bestial Transformation for a fly speed = to your walking speed, Celerity for +10 speed from Focus, & either Air or Celerity for speed pumping.

brute force adds some jumping to the mix too.

Squibsallotl
2017-07-20, 10:31 PM

I can better that, slightly.

Tabaxi Moon Druid 10, Barbarian 5, Monk 2, Fighter 2

Air Elemental form for 90ft flying speed.

+10ft from Monk
+10ft from Barbarian
+10ft Longstrider
+10ft Mobile

Base speed: 130ft

Double speed Feline Agility
Double speed Haste

New speed: 520

Move, Action Dash, Bonus Action Dash, Haste Action Dash, Action Surge Dash

=2600ft

Just in case the target's... 40ft further away, or up really high :)

Zene
2017-07-21, 12:16 AM
Personally I'd go Wood Elf Monk with Mobile. If you can afford it, take some Druid (Coast) levels, so you can get Mirror Image and Misty Step, both solid for what you want.

Longstrider, too. Underrated spell IMO.

Azgeroth
2017-07-21, 06:41 AM
cannot for the life of me remember where i saw it, but somewhere there is alternative totems for a barbarian, one of the the level 3 totems (the elk?) gives +15 to movement..

so, tabaxi
30ft movement

lvl3 barb 'elk' +15
45 movement

lvl4 mobile +10 (or, magic initiate, take expeditious retreat for double movement, once a day though..)

55 movement

lvl5 +10

65 movement

go monk for the rest, if you really want to max your movement.

at level 5 though, you should have access to things like longstrider, haste, maybe some boots of speed?

standard/racial ability thing or standard/racial ability thing with expeditious retreat.

so at level 3 your movement is already 45/90 plus dash for 90/135 thats pretty sweet..

level 4, its either 55/110 or dash, 110/165... or 110/220, dash, 220/330.. second is expeditios retreat.

level 5, 65/130, dash 130/195.. or 130/260, dash 260/390...

i think its probably safe to stop chasing movement then and focus more on other aspects, which could be some rouge for stealth/utility, fighter for BM maneouvers, or you can just stay BARB for a bit more movement and lots of damage..

Hruken
2017-07-21, 12:52 PM
cannot for the life of me remember where i saw it, but somewhere there is alternative totems for a barbarian, one of the the level 3 totems (the elk?) gives +15 to movement.

The elk totem is from SCAG, along with the tiger. Few seem to notice them though.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-21, 01:16 PM
If you don't need some of the ludicrous speed options presented here, a Wood Elf Eagle Totem Barbarian is also an option. 35 base speed, +10 at level 5, plus the bonus action dash allows you to move a pretty respectable 90 feet, and still get your two attacks in. Partner it with a reach weapon like a Glaive or Halberd, and you can hit someone 65 feet from you, and still move out of his next turn's range (if they only have 30' speed).

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-21, 01:17 PM
The elk totem is from SCAG, along with the tiger. Few seem to notice them though.

Mostly because they are fairly unimpressive options. +15 move speed versus a bonus action dash for +25-35 feet of movement. Or being able to jump 20 feet or whatever on your turn, which gives little advantage to just moving 20 feet normally.

Hruken
2017-07-21, 03:17 PM
Mostly because they are fairly unimpressive options. +15 move speed versus a bonus action dash for +25-35 feet of movement. Or being able to jump 20 feet or whatever on your turn, which gives little advantage to just moving 20 feet normally.

No arguments there, just pointing out that they rarely even get brought up at all. Very niche options.

Chunkosaurus
2017-07-21, 03:27 PM
The UA revised college of swords bard gets +10 movement when using melee attacks and has flourishes to allow extra movement. Adding mobile to that will make you almost like a rogue or monk, but you get full casting.

polymphus
2017-07-21, 03:41 PM
Agree with the Tabaxi/Wood Elf monk combos suggested, but I'd like to add that you should go Shadow Monk at 3rd level for that sweet, sweet teleport. Even if your dash can take you further, dash can't get you through windows or out of jail cells. It's a super nice option to have.

Kane0
2017-07-21, 03:49 PM
Feral winged tiefling monk, collect mobile feat at some point.

Flight from level one and pairs nicely with sun soul monk, though all the subclasses work well. Fire resistance and warlock synergy are also bonuses.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-21, 04:44 PM
You need a way to make that kind of movement useful though.
For that reason, I think you're looking at 3 levels of Sorcerer, a whip, Booming Blade, and Spell Sniper feat somewhere in there.

With the whip, you don't need to get close enough to ever provoke OAs, unless they run to you.
With Spell Sniper, you're delivering Booming Blade with the whip at 10'. You need Spell Sniper for this to work, but it's broken - it strands the enemy in the middle of nowhere, and if they move they take damage. It also scales perfectly with single attack classes like the Rogue.
With levels of Sorcerer, you can Quicken or Twin Booming Blade as necessary, allowing you to flit around the battlefield and "shock-lock" multiple foes, safe from harm.

From there, you've got options. Rogue would get you a Bonus Action Disengage for emergencies, as well as Sneak Attack. Swashbuckler is practically the Mobile feat as a class feature.
Rogue is also good for dealing with ranged attacks and AoEs that will threaten you even if you're far away from your foes.

Another option that I like is taking Warlock, Fighter, or Tiefling and making OAs work for me, to increase my damage. When you're this mobile, you're really only taking damage when you choose to. Something like Hellish Rebuke from Tiefling/Warlock, Armor of Agathys from Warlock, or Riposte from the BatMaster Fighter is going to let you punish people for attacking you.
In this case I'd either go Tiefling Warlock with the Fey Pact for extra uses of Hellish Rebuke and a reaction Misty Step. Or, I would go Wood Elf or Tiefling Fighter, to get Riposte and either Step of the Wild or Hellish Rebuke.

I miss the slashing-wake build from 4e...

Hrugner
2017-07-21, 06:34 PM
The bardic college Satire gives you a combined dash/disengage bonus action which is always nice for true mobility. Some of these builds could use a level of Nomad mystic with celerity and/or nomadic step. You can add a little bit of distance to the teleports, teleport more often, return to points previously occupied and so on. It's a real boost to mobility.