PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for a backup character (Have stats now! what works with them?)

Rfkannen
2017-07-20, 04:53 PM
so after my character almost died I decided I should roll up a backup one just in case he ever does, and I was looking for some ideas on what would be good!

Our group is:

* a necromancer wizard; focus on debuffing, also with a little bit of blasting. Mostly debuffing though.
* Hunter revised ranger: sneaky sniper sneak
* Lore bard: control and skill monkey
* Eagle totem barbarian: dex based tank.
* Alchemist artificer: makes the things go boom.

Its a high magic item campaign, open world go around doing adventures type thing, focus on the exploration and combat sides of d&d. Looking for a bunch of options!

So what do you think? What would you suggest playing?

Ps. I am looking for anything, but I did notice that every character I have ever played has been a spellcaster, so one who isn't would be cool!

Oh also, Ua and all books allowed. Only things banned so far are aarokokraa, winged tiefling, ghostwise halfling, and lore wizard. Homebrew also allowed butt the dm has to review it.

Edit: I rolled up my stats!

14 strength
5 dexterity
15 Constitution
13 intelligence
14 wisdom
11 charisma

the stats seem pretty bad, but the dm doesn't only lets us reroll if we don't have a stat at 15 or above, which I do. Technically the dm hasn't actually SEEN these stats yet so I could just reroll, but that would be bad taste.

So what would you do with those stats?

oh also, its at level 4.

Oh another thing, the barbarian uses a rapiar and is unarmored, the dm allows rage damage with his rapier.

Finger6842
2017-07-20, 05:03 PM
so after my character almost died I decided I should roll up a backup one just in case he ever does, and I was looking for some ideas on what would be good!

Our group is:

* a necromancer wizard; focus on debuffing, also with a little bit of blasting. Mostly debuffing though.

Its a high magic item campaign, open world go around doing adventures type thing, focus on the exploration and combat sides of d&d. We roll in order, so I need a couple ideas as I probably won't be able to pick my first choice. Just wondering what I should be going for.

This party needs some strength based armor, maybe EK or Paladin. A Thief would also be a nice addition. Obviously a healer would be helpful so either a Priest or Druid, or another Lore Bard or Heal focused Wizard.

smcmike
2017-07-20, 05:15 PM

Our group is:

Its a high magic item campaign, open world go around doing adventures type thing, focus on the exploration and combat sides of d&d. Looking for a bunch of options!

Ps. I am looking for anything, but I did notice that every character I have ever played has been a spellcaster, so one who isn't would be cool!

With lots of magic items floating around, I second the idea of a heavily armored melee beast.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-20, 05:29 PM
I third the motion for heavy armor. I suggest Oathbreaker Paladin with maybe 2 levels of hexblade. Focus on Charisma and Constitution, buff up your necromancers minions, and do decent damage via smites. You could also be ranged since you pick up EB anyway.

Other things you could do would be a Mystic, with the options there being HUGE, or maybe an Arcane Archer/Kensei Monk. You could be a ranged combatant that could also slip into melee. Or maybe Long death or shadow monk or open hand.

sky red hunter
2017-07-20, 05:32 PM
Nothing wrong with a half-orc battle master. getting stuck in with a big weapon, tripping, disarming, and scaring everything you hit. loads of fun to play, loads of asi's to 'customise' them. also the half-orc ability to add an extra die to crits is gamebreakinig at times.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-20, 05:41 PM
Nothing wrong with a half-orc battle master. getting stuck in with a big weapon, tripping, disarming, and scaring everything you hit. loads of fun to play, loads of asi's to 'customise' them. also the half-orc ability to add an extra die to crits is gamebreakinig at times.

I second Battlemaster, or a UA Superiority Dice Fighter like Monster Hunter (who can easily grab a few BM moves through a feat). Step out from your norm. One of my players was Full Spellcaster for Life until I had my players build each others toons for a Quickie Campaign. She's totally a Barbarian Junkie now.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-20, 05:46 PM
I 5th the motion for a battlemaster

Rfkannen
2017-07-20, 06:03 PM
Half orc battlemaster seems good! Orcs are really interesting in this setting so that would make for some fun role playing!

What feats and fighting style would you suggest? Sword and board, greatsword, Glaive, Lance? For reference the barbarian alternates between rapier and javelin.

Since volo's is allowed, what do you think about half orc vs Orc? Role playing wise orcs are accepted in the setting so no problem with it, so mostly interested mechanically.

What feats would you suggest?

Also if the dm let me start with a common or uncommon magic item, what would you suggest? Not sure she would but it would make sense.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-20, 06:58 PM
Winged Boots hands down, just for combat purposes. Talk to the DM about it. I did a similar thing, my character was scared of heights but was a profession soldier so used them in fights and freaked out later. Kind of a Zen Combat thing, but once the adrenaline was gone... You can swing a Silvered Weapon for quite awhile to great affect.

That is my Dream item: +1 Weapon or Shield, Ring of Jumping, Bag of Holding, Cloak of Protection, Mithril Armor for Heavy, Boots of Striding & Springing (Super Fun ideas if Orc, Hulk jump with your bonus), Necklace of Adaptation are all useful if you as me.

Varlon
2017-07-20, 07:05 PM
Going glaive with Polearm Master could be fun. The opportunity attacks when enemies enter your reach and the reliable bonus action attack give you more chances to apply Battlemaster on-hit effects and more chances to crit for Savage Attacks.

Rfkannen
2017-07-21, 08:45 AM
Oh something I should have mentioned! We are rolling in order for stats! We get to reroll until we get at least one score which is 15 or above.

Heres my thoughts based off of what my highest stat is

strength: half orc pole-arm fighter

Constitution: half orc pole-arm fighter

dexterity: Genasi long death or open palm monk

intelligence: some sort of mystic, probably immortal?

Wisdom: wood elf life cleric

charisma: half elf devotion paladin.

What do you think? Would you swich any of these out? Any of them not work? Any ideas for filling them out? Any other ideas?

smcmike
2017-07-21, 08:59 AM
Oh something I should have mentioned! We are rolling in order for stats! We get to reroll until we get at least one score which is 15 or above.

Heres my thoughts based off of what my highest stat is

strength: half orc pole-arm fighter

Constitution: half orc pole-arm fighter

dexterity: Genasi long death or open palm monk

intelligence: some sort of mystic, probably immortal?

Wisdom: wood elf life cleric

charisma: half elf devotion paladin.

What do you think? Would you swich any of these out? Any of them not work? Any ideas for filling them out? Any other ideas?

Ooof. This is fun, but it makes preplanning the character impossible.

Rfkannen
2017-07-21, 12:47 PM
Ooof. This is fun, but it makes preplanning the character impossible.

True. I suppose a better question than the one I asked would be: what does it look like this party does and does not need? What types of characters should I aim for or avoid.

Anyone have any ideas?

lunaticfringe
2017-07-21, 01:28 PM
Looking over your party I imagine Stealthy Stuff is covered pretty well by the Dex Barb (???), Bard, & Ranger. I would probably lean towards Melee Beast or Blaster.

Finger6842
2017-07-21, 06:03 PM
True. I suppose a better question than the one I asked would be: what does it look like this party does and does not need? What types of characters should I aim for or avoid.

Anyone have any ideas?

They have the bases covered minus a dedicated healer so you can play anything. Paladin with auras would be great. I don't know how that will work with 2 Necromancers in the party though. Rogue skills would also help. A moon Druid as well. EK. It all depends on your stat rolls.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-21, 06:19 PM
Goblin wild magic sorcerer time to get schwifty r
Time to get schwifty in hear

Biggstick
2017-07-21, 06:35 PM
Run a Cleric that doesn't wear with heavy armor. Run it with any sort of flavor/archetype/background that you want, and who cares what your stats are. As long as you can drop Bless on the party, and aren't giving away your party during stealth checks, you'll be fine.

The number of buffs and utility a Cleric brings to a party would be greatly appreciated no matter what your stats are.

Rfkannen
2017-07-23, 02:22 PM
I rolled up some stats!

14 strength
5 dexterity
15 Constitution
13 intelligence
14 wisdom
11 charisma

What do you think? What works with that?

My first thought is cleric, but my current character is a celestial patron warlock and that is a bit too close for comfort. Does anything else work as well?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-23, 06:13 PM
I rolled up some stats!

14 strength
5 dexterity
15 Constitution
13 intelligence
14 wisdom
11 charisma

What do you think? What works with that?

My first thought is cleric, but my current character is a celestial patron warlock and that is a bit too close for comfort. Does anything else work as well?

cleric can be just as good at dealing damage and taking hits as anyone else. You should probably go for war death or tempest domain and focus on hitting hard.

Finger6842
2017-07-23, 09:37 PM

Our group is:

Oh also, Ua and all books allowed. Only things banned so far are aarokokraa, winged tiefling, ghostwise halfling, and lore wizard. Homebrew also allowed butt the dm has to review it.

Edit: I rolled up my stats!

14 strength
5 dexterity
15 Constitution
13 intelligence
14 wisdom
11 charisma

the stats seem pretty bad, but the dm doesn't only lets us reroll if we don't have a stat at 15 or above, which I do. Technically the dm hasn't actually SEEN these stats yet so I could just reroll, but that would be bad taste.

So what would you do with those stats?

oh also, its at level 4.

Oh another thing, the barbarian uses a rapiar and is unarmored, the dm allows rage damage with his rapier.

14 strength
5 dexterity
15 Constitution
13 intelligence
14 wisdom
11 charisma

its at level 4.

With a 6 DEX I'd say Rogue and Ranger are out, as is any kind of Grappler. You likely need heavy armor or back line to compensate. You did say high magic so if you will start with a magic item consider a headband of Intellect and become a wizard, less concern with initiative since your best spells are reactionary. This will allow you to consider wood elf for speed increase/long bow or Halfling for luck.

Half Elf Paladin
STR 14 DEX 6 CON 16 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 13
First ASI in STR (16) for Plate
The plate will help offset AC from low DEX and help reduce damage. Paladins often benefit from going last in initiative, allowing them to determine if they should heal or strike.

OR Same Race and Stats Warlock
First ASI to CHA (15)
The warlock hordes roll their own initiative, minimizing the incoming damage.

OR Human Cleric
STR 15 DEX 6 CON 16 INT 14 WIS 15 CHA 12
First ASI +1 to both STR and WIS
Cleric is similar to Paladin.

rbstr
2017-07-23, 09:59 PM
An EK might work ok. Or some kind of heavy-armor cleric.

Moon druid might be a good option!

Connington
2017-07-23, 10:53 PM
You indicated some interest in playing a Half-Orc Polearm Fighter before you rolled stats. That's totally viable. 16s in St and Con, and a rocking attack set up.

Make sure the Bard has Healing Word prepped, and you should all be fine.

Scathain
2017-07-23, 11:23 PM
You indicated some interest in playing a Half-Orc Polearm Fighter before you rolled stats. That's totally viable. 16s in St and Con, and a rocking attack set up.

Make sure the Bard has Healing Word prepped, and you should all be fine.

Or, if you want the best of both worlds, build a poor man's paladin, fighter/cleric! You can gain some good utility from a couple of levels in Cleric, just pick your favorite Domain. I played a vuman champion/war cleric (extra attacks are fun) in a CoS game and had a hellova good time. You can build him 100% martial like I did, or grab some skill utility from Knowledge, or whatever suits your fancy.