PDA

View Full Version : AMiH Sidequest: Jack's Shopping Spree

inexorabletruth
2017-07-20, 06:03 PM
It takes a while to finally find the Respite, but there are enough signs in the district for you to get your bearings. After several minutes of taking in the scene of the bustling Merchant District, you make it to the serene entrance to the temple of Ehlonna.

http://i.imgur.com/PcBwFAh.jpg

The tranquility of the druidic sanctuary seems impenetrable by the surrounding cityscape and a peaceful calm washes over you as you approach the mouth of the miniature forest. Druids only tend to visit the outer gardens to tend it, so the path up to the gate is quite lonely. It takes several moments of wandering about to find some druids, but you eventually stumble upon an odd group of people sitting in the woods. One of them, you recognize as a member of the order. He is a gnome with a short, but wild gray beard and happy, youthful eyes that defy the wrinkles and sun spots on the rest of his face. He's smoking a pipe and appears to be engaged in pleasant conversation, judging be the fact that he and the group periodically break into laughter.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4715700358_58a8cd9d6c_m.jpg

Two small elven children, dressed as acolytes run past you giggling. And in this place, there are no zombies, no war, no madness, no silent assassins. It's as if you stepped into a magical pocket of the multiverse that is somehow immune to all the world around it.

vitaminbillwebb
2017-07-26, 11:24 AM
I'm genuinely impressed by the scenery at the Respite. This sort of thing is precisely why I left the Arcane University: academics tend to look down on sacred magicians, and Respite is a perfect example of the way that the academy has limited its perspective. After I find my way down the winding forest path and into Respite proper, I notice a gnome chatting with a few other druids. I walk quietly up to them listening in to their conversation and waiting for a pause where I can step in.

inexorabletruth
2017-07-26, 12:11 PM
The wizened, yet cheerful gnome notices you staring, and looks over at you. "May we help you with something, traveler?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-28, 07:21 AM
OOC Notification:

In respect of the flow of the main thread, the side quests will be closing soon. If you wish to be RP'ing more of this thread, please do so soon, and select which gear you will be purchasing from around the city.

Please be advised that magic items will typically cost between twice and three times its original price due to scarcity. Black market magic items, however may be purchased between original price and twice its price.

vitaminbillwebb
2017-07-29, 09:32 PM
"I'm looking for the family of Natalie Goatherd. I expect her family has been missing her for some time, and I've come with news."

I look around, sizing the Respite up. Its beauty is overwhelming, and it's hardly possible to tell its in the middle of the city.

"I'm also looking for a place to do some trading. Any advice on that?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-30, 12:49 PM
The gnome remembers the boy fairly quickly. "Yes I remember the Goatherd's. Lovely family, and a bright young boy. His parents came and collected him some time ago. I can't say I know more than that."

He gives you a small map of the city, more a tourist map than anything, but it shows the best shops in town.

He recommends going to The Knack shops for all things manufactured and steam powered, but Green's shops for apothecaries and other non-magical herbs, poultices, blends, and brews. Then, he suggests the Topiary Garden shops and the Temple of Pelor for magical healing, scrolls, potions and magic items. If you're looking for bodyguards and mercenaries, there's always The Dented Skull Mercenary Guild, and if you're looking for humble hired hands, The Way of the Sun and Moon Monastery serves as a halfway house for recovering individuals looking for honest work.

You may handle your shopping on your own, and post in the main thread when you are ready. Don't forget, all official Wizards of the Coast D&D 3.5 materials are available for purchasing gear. You are also welcome to download a PDF of the Arms & Equipment Guide for D&D 3.0 (open gaming license now, or OGL for short. So don't worry about rights issues) Basically any D&D downloads with "[OGL]" on it, you aren't piratting, because WoTC doesn't support the system anymore and would rather you at least try the game out.

Normally, I'd play out the haggling process, but for arguments sake, lets just say everything is going for market price with the exception of all magical goods, which are going for double market price.

vitaminbillwebb
2017-07-30, 10:27 PM
I size the gnome up. He seems to be on the level. "Very well, then. I'll let Ms. Goatherd know that her brother has gone home. Hopefully she will know how to get in touch from there."

I make my way towards the shops, weighing my coinpurse in my hand as I do. I've got some business to attend to!