PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Spell replacement for Secure Shelter?

RoboEmperor
2017-07-20, 07:12 PM
One of my favorite combos is Secure Shelter + Ravid (3hd outsider with at-will CL20 Animate Object). Result is a Gargantuan sized Animated Object that lasts 2hours/CL.

I'm building a cleric just for fun, and I don't want to give up the combo, so is there a Cleric Spell replacement for a spell that creates a gargantuan sized object? I know there's Fabricate accessed through Domain spells, but my domain selection is set.

Venger
2017-07-20, 09:06 PM
One of my favorite combos is Secure Shelter + Ravid (3hd outsider with at-will CL20 Animate Object). Result is a Gargantuan sized Animated Object that lasts 2hours/CL.

I'm building a cleric just for fun, and I don't want to give up the combo, so is there a Cleric Spell replacement for a spell that creates a gargantuan sized object? I know there's Fabricate accessed through Domain spells, but my domain selection is set.

just be good aligned or neutral and pick positive energy. you can lose a slot and cast any spell with the word "cure" in the title

Elkad
2017-07-20, 09:51 PM
just be good aligned or neutral and pick positive energy. you can lose a slot and cast any spell with the word "cure" in the title

OK, that took me entirely too long :P

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 11:28 PM
Darn, you beat me to it. I wouldn't have said it in blue text, though.

flappeercraft
2017-07-20, 11:29 PM
Well Venger is technically not wrong. Ahhh, the beauty of RAW.

prototype00
2017-07-20, 11:35 PM
Related, how do you secure the services of a Ravid?

eggynack
2017-07-20, 11:37 PM
Celestial fortress, from champions of valor? It's explicitly secure shelter with some changes, so it should do pretty much exactly what you're looking for, and it's a sanctified spell, so any non-evil cleric can cast it, and do so spontaneously at that.

Cruiser1
2017-07-20, 11:41 PM
The positive thing about this is that you can then spontaneously buff your animated Secure Shelter to protect it against scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscureObject.htm). :smallwink:

RoboEmperor
2017-07-20, 11:55 PM

I salute you, master rule-lawyer. For obvious reasons though, not gonna use it.

Lesser Planar Binding. If you're gonna say Clerics don't have access to it, I'll point you to Malconvoker.

The positive thing about this is that you can then spontaneously buff your animated Secure Shelter to protect it against scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscureObject.htm). :smallwink:

You probably don't want to be inside the secure shelter when its animated. The only way its gonna move is by hopping or bending the floor of the house into a U shape and gallop.

Celestial fortress, from champions of valor? It's explicitly secure shelter with some changes, so it should do pretty much exactly what you're looking for, and it's a sanctified spell, so any non-evil cleric can cast it, and do so spontaneously at that.

Awesome! Now I just need to somehow trivialize the 1d2 constitution drain... 100gp for restoration is a bit much for a daily casting. Hmm....

eggynack
2017-07-21, 12:08 AM
Awesome! Now I just need to somehow trivialize the 1d2 constitution drain... 100gp for restoration is a bit much for a daily casting. Hmm....
Damage, not drain. Way cheaper and easier to cope with. But, for the record, if it were drain, best option would probably be sheltered vitality from the spell compendium, which grants immunity to drain for minutes/level. The sacrifice cost happens at the end of the duration of sanctified spells, so you can just kinda time out when you cast sheltered vitality to block the cost. If the cost were at the beginning, it could be argued that it's necessary for the spell's existence, and that the spell just won't happen if you have immunity, but I dunno what the spell can really do about it if you've already gotten its effects. Maybe a deity will screw you over somehow?

Crake
2017-07-21, 12:18 AM
Damage, not drain. Way cheaper and easier to cope with. But, for the record, if it were drain, best option would probably be sheltered vitality from the spell compendium, which grants immunity to drain for minutes/level. The sacrifice cost happens at the end of the duration of sanctified spells, so you can just kinda time out when you cast sheltered vitality to block the cost. If the cost were at the beginning, it could be argued that it's necessary for the spell's existence, and that the spell just won't happen if you have immunity, but I dunno what the spell can really do about it if you've already gotten its effects. Maybe a deity will screw you over somehow?

My personal favourite method of dealing with ability damage/drain is to have a cohort fiend of possession with 2 levels of binder bind naberious after possessing you, then spend the rest of the day riding inside you chilling out while you get to enjoy the benefits of the passive vestige effects.

Could also be done with an angel cohort, since angels can possess things just the same as demons. I believe they call it channeling.

RoboEmperor
2017-07-21, 12:37 AM

Awesome! Problem Solved. Thanks!

1. Be Deityless, no one gets mad!
2. Secure Shelter (and Celestial Fortress) has a dismissable duration, so no timing required. Cast sheltered vitality, dismiss, the end.

One hitch though, CoV is a FR book, so might be hard to be deityless or port it to a different setting, iunno, but no reason I can't "research" it in a different setting, albeit without the spontaneous part.

@Crake
Might do that for a hellfire warlock.

Eldariel
2017-07-21, 01:41 AM

You could pick Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer and Alter Self with an Outsider-race.

rel
2017-07-21, 01:44 AM
how about you buy an axe and have your fighter cut down a tree. Instant treeant. It doesn't even disappear.

RoboEmperor
2017-07-21, 01:47 AM
how about you buy an axe and have your fighter cut down a tree. Instant treeant. It doesn't even disappear.

Unless its a gargantuan tree, I have no interest. Building your own gargantuan wooden thing requires downtime where as this spell is instant and you don't have to worry about repairing damage.

rel
2017-07-21, 02:07 AM
well at least buy the axe as a backup plan.

mastermisha1
2017-07-21, 02:51 AM

Rod of Bodily Restoration from the Magic Item Compendium is 3100 gp and a single one of its 3 charges would cure 4 points of Con damage. Since the damage triggers at the end of the spell's duration, you could theoretically cast quite a few sanctified spells, get hit with all the Con damage, and assuming you have enough Con to not die instantly, cure 12 points of Con damage everyday. Worst case that makes it 6 of the sanctified spell castings; best case 12.

RoboEmperor
2017-07-21, 02:57 AM
Rod of Bodily Restoration from the Magic Item Compendium is 3100 gp and a single one of its 3 charges would cure 4 points of Con damage. Since the damage triggers at the end of the spell's duration, you could theoretically cast quite a few sanctified spells, get hit with all the Con damage, and assuming you have enough Con to not die instantly, cure 12 points of Con damage everyday. Worst case that makes it 6 of the sanctified spell castings; best case 12.

Nice, very nice. The Warlock Handbook needs to organize their content better, because this is awesome for hellfire warlocks too except the handbook listed this item under improved familiar instead of magic items for the warlock >.>

edit: Seems like Lesser Restoration would work for this con damage, since the Hellfire Warlock RAW specifically says lesser restoration works for their con damage, so I guess everything that isn't resurrection is temporary ability damage.